ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Regional

the point still stands. ask yourself why gomes wasn't in the game with 2 outs in the 8th.
Because all season he has been coming in the 9th and shutting the other team down. That's the way things have been working this year. That's his role. It's not like it's particularly unusual to only use your closer in the 9th.

Reactions: donahues17
But do you continue to throw fast balls to a guy that has hit 19 HRs? Hell no you don't. Guys with 19 HRs aren't hitting breaking balls out of the park.
Gomes threw nothing but fastballs. And his velocity dropped out of the stretch. Hell, should of just stayed in the windup until the tieing run got on base.

Reactions: NETransplant
Well it's not quite losing Game 3 of the Supers to Stanford or losing to ASU in the CWS on a guy's 3rd homer of the game - but it's close. What a gut-punch.

Well it's not quite losing Game 3 of the Supers to Stanford or losing to ASU in the CWS on a guy's 3rd homer of the game - but it's close. What a gut-punch.
Not quite, only because it's only at the regional level. But I really think it's probably the difference between making a Super Regional and not. Win this game, and I'm sure we're playing next week. No way I see us winning 3 in a row now. Heck, I'll be surprised if we win the first game tomorrow.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
I’m just going to assume Gomes is incapable of throwing off speed.

I refuse to believe the Nebraska coaching staff is that moronic.

Erstad, who has no business from day one coaching the team, blows it. Is that really surprising? There is more to coaching a division one team than being a former major league ball player and an alum. Get rid of him now. Let's say he was Joe Blow from Kansas St. He wouldn't have a job now. Quit playing games and get rid of his ass. I don't care what he did at Nebraska or who hired him.

Hey Silva how about you tell Gomes who is a Freshman to throw a breaking ball to throw some timing off

Erstad, who has no business from day one coaching the team, blows it. Is that really surprising? There is more to coaching a division one team than being a former major league ball player and an alum. Get rid of him now. Let's say he was Joe Blow from Kansas St. He wouldn't have a job now. Quit playing games and get rid of his ass. I don't care what he did at Nebraska or who hired him.

Well if you haven’t heard....Erstad doesn’t need the job. As if he’s doing all of Nebraska a favor.

Nebraska not being able to practice outside in late January is why they lost this game, not coaching.

HEAVY sarcasm, btw.

The decision I found puzzling in the 9th was the SS playing Rover on that ground ball up the middle. When it was hit I thought it might be an out, but nobody got within 30 feet of it. That and the 9th-inning walk were killers.

And I get that infielders are shifted a lot more these days, but with Gomes in the game I wouldn't station in the SS in shallow left field.

Reactions: regionsdoc
Unreal. Both my Mets and Huskers had 5-1 leads late last night and choked it away. Sad!

So let me get this straight, if Nebraska has won, Erstad was a genius. If they lost he should be fired. Thank God you people aren’t Athletic Directors.
How about you go toe-to-toe with the few that actually said this instead of damning the whole lot? Glad YOU aren't an AD.
tenor.gif

So let me get this straight, if Nebraska has won, Erstad was a genius. If they lost he should be fired. Thank God you people aren’t Athletic Directors.
You couldn't name three players on the roster without using Google, but how lucky we are that you are now available to police the baseball threads too.

I didn't really have a problem with any of Erstad's moves in this game other than the one I mentioned above. But I won't bother discussing the game with you because I'll wager you didn't watch a single inning of it.

What percentage of your posts have absolutely nothing whatsoever to say about NU athletics, but are just sanctimonious finger-waggings? I'll go with about 95%.

Last edited:
Reactions: SC_'sker
I have no problem with Erstad bringing Gomes in to pitch in the 9th. The kid is their closer and hadn’t blown a save all year and had been killing it lately. I do have an issue with having him throw nothing but fastballs though. That was a recipe for disaster against OSU.

]
I have no problem with Erstad bringing Gomes in to pitch in the 9th. The kid is their closer and hadn’t blown a save all year and had been killing it lately. I do have an issue with having him throw nothing but fastballs though. That was a recipe for disaster against OSU.
In hindsight pulling Waldron a bit sooner might have kept the OSU lineup from turning over and Boone never gets to the plate. But it’s hard to give a guy the hook when he’s throwing so well.

Reactions: saluno22
]

In hindsight pulling Waldron a bit sooner might have kept the OSU lineup from turning over and Boone never gets to the plate. But it’s hard to give a guy the hook when he’s throwing so well.
I agree. Waldron was dealing and then OSU got on him in a hurry. I kind of wondered if they would even bring Waldron out in the 8th with Shanaman already warmed up. There are lots of what ifs in this game. NU blew a lot of chances early to blow this game open offensively too.

Yep, that was my point. I think he had thrown 18 fastballs in a row when he served up another one to Boone. I literally thought I was in the middle of a really bad dream. The walks really cost us big-time.

Reactions: saluno22
You couldn't name three players on the roster without using Google, but how lucky we are that you are now available to police the baseball threads too.

I didn't really have a problem with any of Erstad's moves in this game other than the one I mentioned above. But I won't bother discussing the game with you because I'll wager you didn't watch a single inning of it.

What percentage of your posts have absolutely nothing whatsoever to say about NU athletics, but are just sanctimonious finger-waggings? I'll go with about 95%.

Why are you so defensive about a post that didn’t mention your name or even refer to anything you posted?

Why are you so defensive about a post that didn’t mention your name or even refer to anything you posted?
Because you never respond to posts - you just take drive-by shots at everyone who doesn’t meet your fan standards. Why don’t you let the people who actually know their butt from a hole in the ground about baseball discuss the game, then you can sweep in at the end and decree whether or not their posts are worthy? Because Lord knows we are all crying out for your guidance.

Because you never respond to posts - you just take drive-by shots at everyone who doesn’t meet your fan standards. Why don’t you let the people who actually know their butt from a hole in the ground about baseball discuss the game, then you can sweep in at the end and decree whether or not their posts are worthy? Because Lord knows we are all crying out for your guidance.
Man I’m sorry I have an opinion that fans overreact about coaches jobs on here. I’m sorry you take such great offense to my opinion. Please feel free to put me on ignore so my thoughts won’t disturb you any further.

UConn up 2-0 after 2 innings. UConn pitcher threw just 16 pitches in two innings.
Huskers were hanging their heads in the first inning, look very tentative out there and unsure of themselves. Need to get it together. UConn looks to want this more so far.

Good job by Shay of shutting UConn down, but man the Huskers look deflated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT