ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball HOF vote

kaz36

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 2, 2005
Ken Griffey Jr and Mike Piazza are voted into the HOF. Griffen received a record 99.3% of the votes.

Reactions: sparky62
Junior: 99.3%
Piazza: 83%
Bagwell: 71.6%
Raines: 69.8%
Hoffman: 67.3%
Schill: 52.3%
Clemens: 45.2%
Bonds: 44.3%
Edgar: 43.4%
Mussina: 43%

Congrats to Griff. What's the rationale for the .7%? o_O

At least the cheaters aren't getting in. Idiot on ESPN (Stark) keeps on supporting their entry. What a joke.

Congrats to Griff. What's the rationale for the .7%? o_O

Apparently there is a handful of voters who don't think any modern-era player deserves to be a "first-ballot" Hall-of-Famer, so they won't vote for anyone who's appearing on the HOF ballot for the first time. It's an incredibly stupid position to take - how do a player's accomplishments improve with more appearances on the ballot? But it's probably not going to change anytime soon.

Apparently there is a handful of voters who don't think any modern-era player deserves to be a "first-ballot" Hall-of-Famer, so they won't vote for anyone who's appearing on the HOF ballot for the first time. It's an incredibly stupid position to take - how do a player's accomplishments improve with more appearances on the ballot? But it's probably not going to change anytime soon.

I think I saw somewhere that it was 3 voters that left him off of their ballots. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

I didn't realize until recently how good the careers of Tim Raines, and Alan Trammel were.

The rationale is that if nobody has been an unanamious first ballot HOFer than nobody should be.
Their rational is wrong, and 3 voters should be stripped of their voting priviliges.

Reactions: newAD
Ken Griffey Jr. was absolute sick. Defensively and offensively. In the 90's before he got hurt they had a poll that had him rated the 15th best player of all time in the middle of his career.

F Barry cheatin Bonds, Griff was the best baseball player i have ever seen.

Reactions: c2o
Mussina should be ahead of Shilling in voting. Raines and Trammel should be in soon. As for the cheaters, if McGwire don't go then Clemens, Bonds, Sosa, Palmeiro all stay out. JMO

McGuire was not a HOF player to me regardless. Bonds and Clemens will get in and should. Raffy got busted after it was illegal and tested positive, he was a stud though. Raines was one of the best, prob 2nd best leadoff man ever, IMO. Trammel extremely good but borderline for me still.

McGuire was not a HOF player to me regardless. Bonds and Clemens will get in and should. Raffy got busted after it was illegal and tested positive, he was a stud though. Raines was one of the best, prob 2nd best leadoff man ever, IMO. Trammel extremely good but borderline for me still.
I'll take beer too. They'll get in because people forget. McGwire not a HOF'er? You serious Clark? What, 583 HR? Be serious .

I consider myself an old school baseball purist and I still think Mcgwire, Clemens, Bonds and eventually Arod should/will be in the Hall. The entire era was loaded with roids.....and the 20+ years prior to that were thick with amphetamines. They were all the best of their respective eras and they should be in IMO.

Reactions: cubsker
I consider myself an old school baseball purist and I still think Mcgwire, Clemens, Bonds and eventually Arod should/will be in the Hall. The entire era was loaded with roids.....and the 20+ years prior to that were thick with amphetamines. They were all the best of their respective eras and they should be in IMO.

I can see a PED HOF. Plenty of heroes for everyone to cheer for. Their accomplishments will be there for everyone to see. Of course, there was nothing bigger in their career than their cheating. That should be showcased front and center in the PED HOF. Their tainted numbers/records will automatically be adjusted for their cheating. An entire era of dopers all with their own shrine. You'd have to choose which one to go visit. One will be in Cooperstown. The PED HOF will be in Amana, Iowa. Short drive for many of you to visit your disgraced heroes. There'd be the stink of the enshrined and the stink of the town.

Support the cheaters! Support the PED HOF!

how many cheaters do you think are currently in the HOF? half of em?

Exactly. Let's not just confine this to PED's either, there's lots of different ways to cheat. I am not flaming anyone in this thread I swear, but if Bonds Rose and Clemens aren't in the Hall, then the Hall doesn't include some of the best players ever, so whatever. I picture some old guy yelling at the kids to get off his lawn every time I hear somebody on TV say those guys shouldn't be in.

Not going to let in your hero just because you used to root for them. I used to go to the ballpark and root for Palmerio. He made his bed.

I hate the tainted PED era too. Baseball was complicent, but the ultimate responsibility was the players. They broke the code whether it was legal with MLB or not.

Cartoonish WWE looking superstars were ruining the game. Like swatting at flies. Whoever sold backscratchers at the ballparks probably made a mint selling to the PEDers.

I don't care if every player did it (not all did) and every MLB owner looked the other way. You can't reward them for cheating.

Reactions: sparky62
Bonds, Clemens, Bagwell, Sosa never failed a test, Raffy did. Piazza had as many rumors around him as several others mentioned.

Reactions: jteten
Not going to let in your hero just because you used to root for them. I used to go to the ballpark and root for Palmerio. He made his bed.

I hate the tainted PED era too. Baseball was complicent, but the ultimate responsibility was the players. They broke the code whether it was legal with MLB or not.

Cartoonish WWE looking superstars were ruining the game. Like swatting at flies. Whoever sold backscratchers at the ballparks probably made a mint selling to the PEDers.

I don't care if every player did it (not all did) and every MLB owner looked the other way. You can't reward them for cheating.

Add to that a guy like Dale Murphy who is punished for not using. Now his only recourse is the Veterans Committee to get into the HOF.

I'm still waiting for calls to remove notorious cheaters like Gaylord Perry, Whitey Ford, and Don Sutton.

The rule of only voting for 10 keeps numbers low. The next three guys should all be in for sure.

They won't get in. Eventually, they'll drop off the regular ballot. Don't think that the veterans will change that vote. They hate cheating more than the writers.
Kind of disagree...attitude is softening, and Piazza getting in with at least some perception of usage might grease the skids...

So my wife and I have this raging(on my part) argument...I say" who are the IDIOTS who can't see that Junior is an HOFer?" and she says "in your opinion"....WHAT????? Of COURSE it's my opinion...and unless you are blind to the game, then it should be yours! If a baseball writer can't see talent and performance THAT obvious, out they go...

The kid never won a world series. Also look at his stats as a Red ( which was most of his career). His stats were pretty average and definitely not a HOF stats. Should he be in? Hell yes. He was amazing but he was not the best baseball player of all time. Not even close. Probably not even in the line-up of the best, so if Willie Mays, Babe Ruth, Greg Maddux, and so many others weren't 100%, neither should the kid.

MLB HOF is ridiculous. The NBA elects just about anyone that made an All-star game into its HOF. It's a joke. The NFL is a little more strict but nothing is like the MLB.

griffey's first 12 years make him a no doubt HOFer. His numbers were insane. Anything after that is basically irrelevant unless you want to punish him for hanging on a little too long.

I read an article on his last 'injured' years...certainly his production tailed....

He was amazing but he was not the best baseball player of all time. Not even close. Probably not even in the line-up of the best, so if Willie Mays, Babe Ruth, Greg Maddux, and so many others weren't 100%, neither should the kid.

This is what I don't understand. Who on Earth was going to think Griffey was the best player of all time, had he gotten three more HOF votes?

Reactions: jteten and sparky62
ADVERTISEMENT