ADVERTISEMENT

Barry's Found Guilty Of Overserving! What?!?!

I read about this yesterday. Not sure what to think. I agree that bars have some responsibility to not overserve people they see are obviously plastered. But come on... the chaos at all of these bars on game day is extreme. Almost everybody is in some state of inebriation. For the cops to observe one guy staggering around with a drink in his hand and then cite the bar is absurd in my view and unfair. How do they know how the guy presented himself and behaved when he ordered his drink? How do they know someone didn't buy the drink for him?

It also smacks of hypocrisy. The entire city gets a massive economic boost from game day partying and the city encourages it. If the city wants to crack down on public intoxication on game day, then they should increase the police presence downtown and start placing responsibility for this directly where it should be: on the individual who got drunk. Start writing tons of tickets. But guess what? They won't do that. And why not? Because it would be a massive game day buzzkill and Lincoln would start to get a reputation as a super lousy game day venue.

Just ask Brent Mussburger.... lol

Last edited:
I read about this yesterday. Not sure what to think. I agree that bars have some responsibility to not overserve people they see are obviously plastered. But come on... the chaos at all of these bars on game day is extreme. Almost everybody is in some state of inebriation. For the cops to observe one guy staggering around with a drink in his hand and then cite the bar is absurd in my view and unfair. How do they know how the guy presented himself and behaved when he ordered his drink? How do they know someone didn't buy the drink for him?

It also smacks of hypocrisy. The entire city gets a massive economic boost from game day partying and the city encourages it. If the city wants to crack down on public intoxication on game day, then they should increase the police presence downtown and start placing responsibility for this directly where it should be: on the individual who got drunk. Start writing tons of tickets. But guess what? They won't do that. And why not? Because it would be a massive game day buzzkill and Lincoln would start to get a reputation as a super lousy game day venue.

Amen!

Also what about the tailgates...where half the people are underage drinking.

Barry's isn't doing it on purpose and they are probably doing the best they can. They get 5,000 people in their on a game day!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Amen!

Also what about the tailgates...where half the people are underage drinking.

Barry's isn't doing it on purpose and they are probably doing the best they can. They get 5,000 people in their on a game day!
Exactly! How is a time-pressed and super busy bartender supposed to police all of this when you literally have 20 or 30 people at any given time at the bar barking out drink orders? It is stupid

According to the article there were multiple events over a period of time. I see the problem with the "over serving" but that was just one charge. If I was in charge of a place that already had been written up, I would try to be on top of everything that is going on. Sounds like they were close to getting the death penalty.

Last edited:
According to the article there were multiple events over a period of time. I see the problem with the "overserving" but that was just one charge. If I was charge of a place that already had been written up, I would try to be on top of everything that is going on. Sounds like they were close to getting the death oenalty.

I think the owners are out in KC...but like you said I would try and be all over it as well.

I don't know if you have been there on a game day...there is no chance of making sure everyone in there is 21 and that no one is over served.

Way to easy for girls to get a sorority sisters ID and use it...

Reactions: dinglefritz
As someone who has had to testify in front of that commission a few times (and it takes a lot to have to appear in front of that commission), I've got a lot of questions on this one.

September 23rd was the Rutgers game, with a 2:30 kick off. The article says he saw this drunk person 'that night'. What time that night? Could have been long after the game day crowd had gone down.

The attorney says that the staff "barely had time to notice the man, who had just stood up and stumbled in the crowded bar." Just stood up from where? Then he said the punishment is fair, but is considering appealing????

What did the drunk guy say about where he ingested the alcohol? Did he say he was served in the bar earlier?

There's just not a whole lot of information in this article.

As someone who has had to testify in front of that commission a few times (and it takes a lot to have to appear in front of that commission), I've got a lot of questions on this one.

September 23rd was the Rutgers game, with a 2:30 kick off. The article says he saw this drunk person 'that night'. What time that night? Could have been long after the game day crowd had gone down.

The attorney says that the staff "barely had time to notice the man, who had just stood up and stumbled in the crowded bar." Just stood up from where? Then he said the punishment is fair, but is considering appealing????

What did the drunk guy say about where he ingested the alcohol? Did he say he was served in the bar earlier?

There's just not a whole lot of information in this article.

Let me ask since you know a lot about this...

Fake ID's: Who has them more? Girls or Guys? I think in a college town girls would have them more but I could be wrong.

So should McDonald's not serve fat people if they want food? :p Barry's is my favorite bar on Husker game day and there is no way they can monitor every single person, and how many other bars does this happen at? Most of them.

Let me ask since you know a lot about this...

Fake ID's: Who has them more? Girls or Guys? I think in a college town girls would have them more but I could be wrong.

Pure speculation, but I'd think guys have more of them. I think its easier in college for girls to use friends ID's because their hair styles can change so much. It'd be interesting to hear what bar workers/bartenders would have to say. I don't think all of them contact the police, and might just keep them.

Pure speculation, but I'd think guys have more of them. I think its easier in college for girls to use friends ID's because their hair styles can change so much. It'd be interesting to hear what bar workers/bartenders would have to say. I don't think all of them contact the police, and might just keep them.
Thanks! Yeah, it would be interesting...any bartenders on the site?

So should McDonald's not serve fat people if they want food? :p Barry's is my favorite bar on Husker game day and there is no way they can monitor every single person, and how many other bars does this happen at? Most of them.
The rooftop is awesome and that place, on game day, said they get 5,000 people through the doors...

The owner at Duffy's is clearly upset at they business he isn't getting.

Reactions: kruller
I think the owners are out in KC...but like you said I would try and be all over it as well.

I don't know if you have been there on a game day...there is no chance of making sure everyone in there is 21 and that no one is over served.

Way to easy for girls to get a sorority sisters ID and use it...

I don't understand how Nebraska allows kids under 21 to work in bars. Seems pretty vague, not clear cut who is allowed in them. Last summer when I was back home I was at the local golf course. There was a band playing with lots of people and there were two nineteen year old girls running the bar. There was nobody over 21 even present behind the bar. In Washington minors can work in restaurants that serve alcohol but they can't serve it. In bars and taverns you have to be 21 just to be in them. Whether you are working or drinking. I think the only exception is if you are in a band performing and are underage then you can perform but have to leave the bar during breaks.

Washington State Liquor Board sends underage workers into bars and even grocery stores to see if they can purchase alcohol. One of the grocery stores I go to has been burned so many times that they card EVERYONE who wants to buy alcohol and this store only sells beer and wine.

Last edited:
I don't understand how Nebraska allows kids under 21 to work in bars. Seems pretty vague, not clear cut who is allowed in them. Last summer when I was back home I was at the local golf course. There was a band playing with lots of people and there were two nineteen year old girls running the bar. There was nobody over 21 even present behind the bar. In Washington minors can work in restaurants that serve alcohol but they can't serve it. In bars and taverns you have to be 21 just to be in them. Whether you are working or drinking. I think the only exception is if you are in a band performing and are underage then you can perform but have to leave the bar during breaks.

Washington State Liquor Board sends underage workers into bars and even grocery stores to see if they can purchase alcohol. One of the grocery stores I go to has been burned so many times that they card EVERYONE who wants to buy alcohol and this store only sells beer and wine.

At U of Illinois...you can be 19 and get into the bars...you just get a "wristband" so they know you are a minor...clearly they all still drink!

Thanks! Yeah, it would be interesting...any bartenders on the site?
Males generally present more of the “typical” fake id’s where it’s their picture with false info. Females generally present another person’s ID, be it a relative or friend. Just my observations having worked in the bar industry off and on for the last 15 years. We eventually turn those over to the police, after using them for training, but we’re not calling the cops on every fake we get.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Is that really Nebraska law? If caught over serving someone you can get brought up on charges?

I lived in Texas for a couple of decades and they had an over serving law. But, it wasn't enforced at the bar/restaurant. If someone was caught drinking and driving and they were at a bar/restaurant prior, the bar/restaurant could be liable. As long as the intoxicated party had a friend or a cab drive them home, it was ok.

Males generally present more of the “typical” fake id’s where it’s their picture with false info. Females generally present another person’s ID, be it a relative or friend. Just my observations having worked in the bar industry off and on for the last 15 years. We eventually turn those over to the police, after using them for training, but we’re not calling the cops on every fake we get.
I kind of figured. I would think in a college town you have a bunch of sorority girls that all look similar and share ID's non-stop.

Is that really Nebraska law? If caught over serving someone you can get brought up on charges?

I lived in Texas for a couple of decades and they had an over serving law. But, it wasn't enforced at the bar/restaurant. If someone was caught drinking and driving and they were at a bar/restaurant prior, the bar/restaurant could be liable. As long as the intoxicated party had a friend or a cab drive them home, it was ok.
Yes, that is the law in Nebraska. Out here in Pennsylvania too. But where I live (northeastern PA) it is rarely enforced, if ever, unless someone is caught for DUI. There was a case here last year where a dude got plowed at two local bars, then drove off and killed a jogger. Those bars are now in trouble. But no police force out here actively patrols bars looking for public drunks.

http://www.sos.ne.gov/rules-and-regs/regsearch/Rules/Liquor_Control_Commission/Title-237.pdf

Page 60 of the Nebraska Liquor Commission Laws:

019.01N Sell to Visibly Intoxicated Person/Mentally Incapacitated Person/Person Incapacitated by Drugs. No licensee or partner, principal, agent or employee of any licensee shall sell, serve, or furnish alcoholic beverages or allow possession of alcoholic beverages on the licensed premise to any person who is or has become intoxicated and/or incapacitated by the consumption of alcoholic beverages and/or other drugs or who is mentally incapacitated. Intoxication means an impairment of a person's mental or physical faculties as a result of his or her use of alcoholic liquor or drugs so as to diminish the person's ability to think and act in the manner of an ordinary prudent and cautious person in full possession of his or her faculties using reasonable care under like circumstances. A person shall be deemed to be intoxicated when it can be plainly determined by appearance, conduct, and/or demeanor. A change in demeanor and/or behavior as time passes is also an indicator of intoxication. Other indicators include, but are not limited to: (goes into numerous examples)

I believe this would be the law a bartender would be cited with for doing so. I've never done so, just for serving minors:

53-180.
Prohibited acts relating to minors and incompetents.
No person shall sell, furnish, give away, exchange, or deliver, or permit the sale, gift, or procuring of, any alcoholic liquors to or for any minor or to any person who is mentally incompetent.

If it were a large bar like a Barry's it could be difficult to prove which server did it, which could likely just cause a "Tavern Report" to be completed and forwarded on to the Liquor Commision for their review.

Really? I think Minny is horrible and NW sucks if you are just talking about Evanston. I liked Purdue a lot.

Purdue is solid with the way they have that 'Breakfast Club' deal 6 am Saturday mornings. Minny you can find good spots in the area. Correct in that NW is goddawful - I'd say NW & Illinois are the worst in B1G. MSU is kind of weak, too.

Reactions: saluno22
On game day? I would say all of them. It would almost be an anomaly if at least one extremely drunk person wasn’t over-served at every bar downtown at least one time.

Downtown Lincoln on game day reminds me of that one video where the dude falls down and proceeds to flip over the railing. I know it’s not a laughing matter, but I still always seem to.

Purdue is solid with the way they have that 'Breakfast Club' deal 6 am Saturday mornings. Minny you can find good spots in the area. Correct in that NW is goddawful - I'd say NW & Illinois are the worst in B1G. MSU is kind of weak, too.

I sort of like Illinois but for the most part we just hit Joe's Pub (which is right next to a frat house...which would be amazing).

NW is just lame. Like you said Purdue is fun and they clearly embrace the costumes and the 6am drinking...I really had a good time there.

Not a bar guy anymore. But my last time in Lincoln to go to bars, every bar overserved me. I was so drunk that I was like 20 foot from the bar I stepped out of and was lost for like an hour.
Pretty sure I had a problem.

Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
Barry's tried charging me a $10 cover to get in the day of the spring game...I asked what that got me...the "bro" bouncer said, "into the bar"....I turned around and went elsewhere...f that place

Barry's tried charging me a $10 cover to get in the day of the spring game...I asked what that got me...the "bro" bouncer said, "into the bar"....I turned around and went elsewhere...f that place
10? Dang...we got in for 5.

I sort of like Illinois but for the most part we just hit Joe's Pub (which is right next to a frat house...which would be amazing).

NW is just lame. Like you said Purdue is fun and they clearly embrace the costumes and the 6am drinking...I really had a good time there.

While the scene right around NW may be lame... the proximity to Chicago itself makes it a fun scene. Was there for the 2016 game... lots of husker red all over Chicago on that Friday night. The atmosphere inside the game was pretty great too... mainly because all the husker fans had been drinking beer in Chicago all day prior to the game.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
While the scene right around NW may be lame... the proximity to Chicago itself makes it a fun scene. Was there for the 2016 game... lots of husker red all over Chicago on that Friday night. The atmosphere inside the game was pretty great too... mainly because all the husker fans had been drinking beer in Chicago all day prior to the game.

Yeah, I totally agree...some of those bars became "husker bars" that weekend and we did the Blur Party at the golf course, that was a blast...but we tried to go to a bar in Evanston...they told us they don't open until 11am.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT