ADVERTISEMENT

Barry Sanders 1988 season at Okie State

By the time the Huskers played OSU in '88, Barry had made a name for himself. But it was actually the '87 game where I'm sure he caught a lot of Husker fan's attention for the first time. All the talk coming into the game was about Thurman Thomas who was in his senior year and a consensus All American. The Blackshirts completely shut Thomas down, but this back-up comes in and averages about 10 yards per carry, and everyone is thinking "who's this guy". We all found out.

By the time the Huskers played OSU in '88, Barry had made a name for himself. But it was actually the '87 game where I'm sure he caught a lot of Husker fan's attention for the first time. All the talk coming into the game was about Thurman Thomas who was in his senior year and a consensus All American. The Blackshirts completely shut Thomas down, but this back-up comes in and averages about 10 yards per carry, and everyone is thinking "who's this guy". We all found out.
Imagine having Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders in your backfield? We were close when we had LP and Ahman Green. Incredible talent back then.

Watch the option play at about 20:19. What a thing of beauty a well-run option was - regardless of whether one thinks it can work against today's defenses.

• Love
Reactions: HBK4life
One of my favorite players.
I swear, and you guys can LOL me all day long, but Mike Alstott before the injuries had some Barry Sanders in him. Loved me some Alstott and Warrick Dunn.

Barry was absolutely awesome and my favorite running back of all time. Classy dude who was so much fun to watch. I haven’t seen a back before or since who was as exciting to watch as him. I think there is a film coming out on Prime Video about him and his early retirement.

Barry was absolutely awesome and my favorite running back of all time. Classy dude who was so much fun to watch. I haven’t seen a back before or since who was as exciting to watch as him. I think there is a film coming out on Prime Video about him and his early retirement.
Yup. That's what he was promoting on Mcafee's show.

Lotta guys would be ejected today if they continued to tackle like they did back then.
Truth. Imagine the Steel Curtain D today? Niner Ronnie Lott taking guys heads off when guys went over the middle. Mike Singletary and the Monsters of the Midway. Ray Nitchke, Jack Tatum, etc. They would all be broke from being fined weekly. The pussification of America continues. Sad.

Wasn't Rathman on those teams as well? FB but still. Damn good.
Yes - Rathman didn't see the field much with Rozier and Craig. In his upper classman years, the IB was Doug DuBose. In '85, they combined for over 2K in rushing yards. Before his injury, DuBose was a very talented IB. Arguing that the DuBose/Rathman backfield was one of the best in NU history wouldn't be far fetched.

He was just on the Pat Mcafee show and if you were alive and lucky enough to witness this incredible year it was something special. Look at those numbers!! He was a generational type of player.
I believe there were some on TO's staff who wanted to offer him as a recruit. However, there were others who felt he was too small for an I back in the Big 8. Unfortunately, they won out.

• Sad
Reactions: HBK4life
I believe there were some on TO's staff who wanted to offer him as a recruit. However, there were others who felt he was too small for an I back in the Big 8. Unfortunately, they won out.
Barry wanted to come to Nebraska. His high school counselor was Jeff Smith, former I-Back.

But they used their designated scholarship for small running back on Terry Rodgers and did not have room for Barry. It was Johnny's son, and he was highly rated too I believe. McBride told this story. Man what could have been, with Barry running the option in Lincoln.

If he was QB vs La Tech…could you imagine what he would have done?

Probably would have led the defense and special teams too! I’ve heard QBs inspire them…except when they don’t.

It’s kinda a weird scale.

• Haha
Reactions: timnsun

I was at that game in 1987 where we smoked Okie State 35-0. Completely shut down Thurman Thomas and the game was out of hand when Sanders came in. But he made a heckuva impression.

Stillwater, at the time, was a great place to travel for an away game.

I was at that game in 1987 where we smoked Okie State 35-0. Completely shut down Thurman Thomas and the game was out of hand when Sanders came in. But he made a heckuva impression.

Sluts.

I remember all the talk coming out of the Okie State camp, just a landfill full of trash talk, and Nebraska beat them like a rented mule. Didn't take long to figure out the way that game was going to turn out.

Barry wanted to come to Nebraska. His high school counselor was Jeff Smith, former I-Back.

But they used their designated scholarship for small running back on Terry Rodgers and did not have room for Barry. It was Johnny's son, and he was highly rated too I believe. McBride told this story. Man what could have been, with Barry running the option in Lincoln.
Probably at least one more Natty.

Reactions: huntered

Oh my goodness, what a miss that was.

I also seem to recall hearing that Oklahoma State “lost” his only game film (a vhs tape) so that other teams couldn’t recruit him.

Maybe I’m thinking of someone else, but this is what my recollection is.

He must have sucked vs. Nebraska and Oklahoma because winners win
I mean the stats were posted, 404 and 6 TDs. Looks like he did pretty well. But I can’t expect someone like you to be able to do Math. you definitely can’t compute a 45% winning percentage

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
I mean the stats were posted, 404 and 6 TDs. Looks like he did pretty well. But I can’t expect someone like you to be able to do Math. you definitely can’t compute a 45% winning percentage
Are you not able to see what he was doing? That was a direct shot at King Kong, calling Chubba a loser because he lost to Wisconsin. I for one was expecting to see Kong say he was unfairly harsh to Chubba, but instead, he doubled down and called him a loser.

The 1988 Ok State team was really fun to watch. Gundy was and Hart Lee Dukes were pretty damn good too.

Fun fact... Irving Fryar saves Dukes after a big bar fight and got arrested for his good deed.

Watch the option play at about 20:19. What a thing of beauty a well-run option was - regardless of whether one thinks it can work against today's defenses.
That was a crazy late pitch. Straight up disrespectful. I am still holding out hope that someday we get Jamey Chadwell's offense and find out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT