ADVERTISEMENT

Barrett Ruud on our LBs....

I’m in wait and see mode with the defense. We got talent and options on the Dline with guys like Ty Robinson, J Riley, D Daniels, B Stille, K Green, D Thomas, M Newsom, T Wildeman, P Payne and so on. I might be a bit optimistic here but I have a feeling we will see a better defense in year 3 with a deep, talented secondary backing the front 7 up. Every year Chins been here he’s improved our defense every year, a little better then the year before. Hopefully that continues.

Last edited:
I know myself and possibly others have said the LB performance may just be where the season trajectory is decided.

Dawson’s progress with Caleb Tannor, Garrett Nelson, Niko Cooper, Jojo Domann, Blaise Gunnerson, Javin Wright and Jackson Hannah will be huge. If he can get those guys to set the edge, get a pass rush and help in coverage, then I really see our defense making a jump forward. Our OLB play has been horrible the last 2-3 years.

Love Domann even if he's not perfect this defense. Tannor becoming the player he was recruited to be would be a game changer. Huskers couldn't get off the field on 3rd down bc of lack of pass rush. Every top program has good pass rushers and we haven't had one for years now.

Dawson’s progress with Caleb Tannor, Garrett Nelson, Niko Cooper, Jojo Domann, Blaise Gunnerson, Javin Wright and Jackson Hannah will be huge. If he can get those guys to set the edge, get a pass rush and help in coverage, then I really see our defense making a jump forward. Our OLB play has been horrible the last 2-3 years.
100%, but ILB play at times has been as much of a liability. All 4 spots need to step up this year, and coaching certainly plays a role.

I’m still hopeful these guys right here can get things going and be our future at LB (2 ILBs Henrichs and Snodgrass and 1 OLB Hannah). It sounds like Nick Henrichs is definitely on the right path and who knows, maybe he can eventually jump Honas during the season.
Everybody was hyping Hannah, but all indicators are that his development has been slower. Way too early to think about giving up on him. It’s just something to watch.
He may be raw still, but Jimari Butler has me excited. I wouldn’t even be shocked if he made a splash this year as a “situational” pass rusher. I doubt he could be ready for significant playing time now, but his ceiling seems high to me.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Pass rush and fits, that's what I want to see from these LB's. Dawson gives me a little hope for the OLB's and more players in the mix give me a little hope for our ILB's. I think this is a critical year for Ruud as far as demonstrating if he can coach or not.

Last edited:
Everybody was hyping Hannah, but all indicators are that his development has been slower. Way too early to think about giving up on him. It’s just something to watch.
He may be raw still, but Jimari Butler has me excited. I wouldn’t even be shocked if he made a splash this year as a “situational” pass rusher. I doubt he could be ready for significant playing time now, but his ceiling seems high to me.

definitely, Jackson Hannah is only a RS freshman this season. I get your point, we see a few of us on this board say “oh that true freshman didn’t play or start last season, so he’s got to be a bust”. Absolutely not the case, he still has 3 more years to develop if need be.

Last edited:

sorry I missed it before, I’m very high on J Butler too. He’s said to have a high ceiling. Dude has only been playing football for a couple years now. Was a basketball player turned football player. He’s got the pass rushing moves and the raw talent. If Dawson can develop him some watch out. Dare I say Randy Gregory type player...???

remember he was low 3 star out of high school too
he developed into a passing rushing nightmare....

Last edited:
sorry I missed it before, I’m very high on J Butler too. He’s said to have a high ceiling. Dude has only been playing football for a couple years now. Was a basketball turned football player. He’s got the pass rushing moves and the raw talent. If Dawson can develop him some watch out. Dare I say Randy Gregory type player...???

remember he was low 3 star out of high school too

he developed into a passing rushing nightmare....

“ In just 10 games, he had 14 1/2 sacks, 22 TFLs and 21 quarterback hurries while playing at Murphy High School in Mobile, Alabama. Read that back again. He had four of those sacks in the playoffs. This comes from someone who hadn't played football since the seventh grade.”

Reactions: huskerssalts
ADVERTISEMENT