ADVERTISEMENT

Barrett Pickering has left the Program

Not too surprising given how many kickers we've brought in and the odd circumstances of his 2019 season.

Has been speculation for a while now. Too bad, another one bites the dust after an injury. Sadly this injury was off the field which did not please the coach.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
now here's something that might be worth paying close attention to during the spring game!

touchbacks touchbacks touchbacks!

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Odd time to leave.
I'd guess that he'll finish up the semester classes and then move on. If he's not fully recovered, probably no sense in his mind of going thru the stress of spring practice. Or maybe Frost told him he couldn't keep his scholarship if he didn't win the kicking job. Or he didn't see eye to eye with the new special teams analyst. Who knows. Could be a lot of reasons.

At any rate I suspect there will be others who leave after Spring practice or the semester is over. Attrition does not seem to be a problem in keeping under the scholarship limits.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgbreis
This whole thing has been weird. From the unspecified injury, the quietness, then hearing he was attempting some Happy Gilmore stunt on the golf course.... which one, who knows. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the alligator. Then hearing he didn't rehab as expected. Face palm.

What's the latest on JD? Still have relative Gopher fans that are sure he will be joining them for next season based on what they have been told. We shall see.

What's the latest on JD? Still have relative Gopher fans that are sure he will be joining them for next season based on what they have been told. We shall see.
I suspect the relatives are pulling your leg. Why would JD go through Spring practice and then leave for another team this late in his career to sit out a year? He's not in any jeopardy of losing his spot here.

Reactions: huskerssalts
I am relieved he won't be kicking this spring. He was put in a tough spot but he couldn't be counted on at a position where injuries really don't last 5 months. Wish him the best though.

nothing, he’s still a Husker and will be until he goes to the NFL. It’s why no one has seen a thing about transferring. If he was, he’d be on the Minnesota team by now considering spring ball is right around the corner.

I am relieved he won't be kicking this spring. He was put in a tough spot but he couldn't be counted on at a position where injuries really don't last 5 months. Wish him the best though.

Wish I felt relief about our kicking situation right now. Last year was a debacle, and all we've got right now is largely unproven walk-ons and JUCO transfers to fill the position. Hopefully someone steps-up/surprises, but its a pretty shaky foundation in an area needing to take a big step forward this year.

Wish I felt relief about our kicking situation right now. Last year was a debacle, and all we've got right now is largely unproven walk-ons and JUCO transfers to fill the position. Hopefully someone steps-up/surprises, but its a pretty shaky foundation in an area needing to take a big step forward this year.
Well it will be better because it couldn't be any worse.

BP is leaving the football program, but he's staying at the university.
He's a management major according to his bio. It would make sense to stay and finish the semester.

Now if he honestly won't be able to physically be a kicker anymore then I would say it's a good chance he stays and graduates. Not sure how that would work with in-state/out-of-state tuition if he won't be on scholarship. He may very well look at other options

I suspect the relatives are pulling your leg. Why would JD go through Spring practice and then leave for another team this late in his career to sit out a year? He's not in any jeopardy of losing his spot here.
Is he not graduating in May? The word was that it would be a grad transfer, and the reason he hasn’t announced it yet is because he hasn’t graduated yet. That comes in May…

I don't really see the situation any different from when a starting kicker graduates and we have to find a new one. Since it's normal to only use one kicker at a time. it's often a position where you are in a situation at some point where you come into a season without anybody with experience at the position. Its important to also remember that something that looks like a problem now may not turn out to be one, and vice versa. Kicker was not a position that people were concerned about last year, because Barret Pickering seemed set to be the starter and was solid based on how he ended his freshman season. Nobody could have expected the rash of injuries we experienced at the position. So who knows, something that looks like a problem now may not be if somebody comes in and is successful and nails the position down. Again, it's not like we haven't been in a position before where we come into a season where we don't have anybody proven at the position.

Does it make sense to assume that the staff anticipated he would return this spring/fall as evidenced by their decision to not recruit a kicker (s)?

Giving up field position on kickoffs and knowing that a game or two will ultimately come down to the kicking game puts added pressure on the STs.

This is totally out of the hands of what the analyst does.

Until this program gets to the point of reloading instead of working around weak areas, events like this will continue to be a problem. For those of us who can remember the glory days, the pipeline was always full and we didn’t have the big holes in the roster.

Last edited:
Well shit. I had hoped that with time and healing Pickering would return to his Freshman year form and many of our kicking woes from last year would be history. I sure hope one of the new guys steps up and can kick like hell.

Well shit. I had hoped that with time and healing Pickering would return to his Freshman year form and many of our kicking woes from last year would be history. I sure hope one of the new guys steps up and can kick like hell.
See Pennsy, that right there is where our problem is and has been for many years - we “hope” someone can come along and fix the problem. I see these projections of how good we are going to be based on hoping someone or someone’s magically come along to solve the problem.

So did Pickering get injured playing pickup basketball, per the most prominent rumor? If so that hardly seems like a reckless activity. I remember a lot of Husker football players being gym rats in the winter and hitting the outdoor courts in the summer, and nobody ever gave it a second thought.

Reading these threads, I feel like he must have injured himself kicking puppies, stomping on the American flag or shoving little old ladies down the stairs.

because he can graduate in May and then transfer out and play right away wherever he wants to.

or I guess he could stay and catch some passes from Adrian Martinez and maybe win 7 games and get to a bowl.. and go to pro day and try to explain why his production was so poor the last few years under this qb.

See Pennsy, that right there is where our problem is and has been for many years - we “hope” someone can come along and fix the problem. I see these projections of how good we are going to be based on hoping someone or someone’s magically come along to solve the problem.
Exactly. Which is why I ain't drinking no koolaid this offseason. Time to put up or shut up. I am sure nobody has noticed, but I have posted very little on here of late. And that is because off-season conversation right now is just pissing into the wind. I remain hopeful for this season because I am a rabid Husker fan and if you can't have hope then what's the point? But damn it, I am tired of excuses. I am tired of losing seasons. We have out recruited our rivals in the West for many years now. So no more bullshit about "bad apples" and so on. This is Frost's team now. So he needs to spit that tobacco out of his mouth, lose his arrogant swagger, and coach like a man. End of rant.

Exactly. Which is why I ain't drinking no koolaid this offseason. Time to put up or shut up. I am sure nobody has noticed, but I have posted very little on here of late. And that is because off-season conversation right now is just pissing into the wind. I remain hopeful for this season because I am a rabid Husker fan and if you can't have hope then what's the point? But damn it, I am tired of excuses. I am tired of losing seasons. We have out recruited our rivals in the West for many years now. So no more bullshit about "bad apples" and so on. This is Frost's team now. So he needs to spit that tobacco out of his mouth, lose his arrogant swagger, and coach like a man. End of rant.
I keep hearing that the coaches and players aren’t going to be talking like we’ve heard in the past, which is fine with me, no more of we’ve had the best practice this fall then lay a giant goose egg in Saturday’s game. Or a player I’m in the best physical conditioning of my career but never contribute much at all to the team

Does it make sense to assume that the staff anticipated he would return this spring/fall as evidenced by their decision to not recruit a kicker (s)?

Giving up field position on kickoffs and knowing that a game or two will ultimately come down to the kicking game puts added pressure on the STs.

This is totally out of the hands of what the analyst does.

Until this program gets to the point of reloading instead of working around weak areas, events like this will continue to be a problem. For those of us who can remember the glory days, the pipeline was always full and we didn’t have the big holes in the roster.

Those were the days we didn’t have scholarship limits. We are forced to recruit kids from out of state so those kids come to play and if they don’t, they leave. We did recruit a kicker, the top Juco Contreraz so that alone told me that they weren’t sold on Pickering.

Reactions: huskerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT