ADVERTISEMENT

Barfy goes full TC

[But mostly it was the internal standard of excellence Osborne, his coaches and players set. Then they put in the hard work to meet it.

Ex-players and old writers recall Osborne bellowing, “Run it again!” if a play didn’t look right or wasn’t at optimal speed. Many players said the contact absorbed in practice often exceeded what they faced in a game. At NU, the price to succeed on Saturdays got paid in full Monday through Friday.

No player got overlooked, either.

On one windy miserable November day, Osborne worked late into practice with the No. 3 and No. 4 offense “live” against the same defense. Cold rain dripped off the bill of his cap as he implored the offense to “Run it again!” with the same energy he has used coaching the No. 1s and 2s earlier.

Defensive assistants Charlie McBride and George Darlington — half in fear the proceedings might go past dark before Osborne was satisfied — got together and purposely called mismatched fronts and coverages, allowing the offense to succeed and practice to end. That’s ornery and funny. But there was no joking around in Nebraska’s attention to detail, player development and earnest work to produce championship-level football.]

Alabama has run 100 play scrimmages more than a few times during the season, on Thursdays no less, if Coach Saban isn't satisfied at what he sees.

YOU PLAY LIKE YOU PRACTICE.

Football is tough sport, if you don't practice to find out who your tough guys are then you don't get the right guys on the field. Just like you don't hit routine grounballs to infielders in baseball, need to see who has range and instincts. We have been the least physical team on the field for years. My bet is there are tougher kids watching than playing.

Reactions: Bugeater
Don't disagree but there have to be options that teach tough football if Frost doesn't come. Who are they and they best be on a short list. We have pussified Neb football and that is the opposite of who we were. We always have more guys down in a game, seen it for 10 yrs + and pisses me off.

Reactions: Agegoneby
All the injuries are even more baffling when you realize we have this fancy Athletic Performance Lab in Memorial Stadium, which is supposedly doing cutting edge research on athletic training and injury prevention.

This is why we need Frost. He is the last chance we have to hire a head coach who has a direct connection to our glory days and knows what it took to be at the level we were at.

We don't need any sort of connection to our glory days to produce similar results. We need great coaches who are driven to excel. Seems the article is saying we have a slacker in charge and require a workaholic to return from the depths. Our play on the field seems like a band of slackers as well, Hmmm...wonder why?

Oh wow...SE is a bigger goofball than we all thought!
Safe to assume there are no other dorks still in love with SE either, right?

Canning SE before the Iowa game was dumb. I can't believe Green did that...or so I've been told.

Load of piling on crap. Where was this shitty article earlier in the year?

Do we really need to go to the Tom did it this way to help explain that the current staff just isnt cutting it?

And injuries? Really? Their play is one thing but injuries? In the mid 90s guys didnt get injured?

Load of piling on crap. Where was this shitty article earlier in the year?

Do we really need to go to the Tom did it this way to help explain that the current staff just isnt cutting it?

And injuries? Really? Their play is one thing but injuries? In the mid 90s guys didnt get injured?
Just a guess...when your boss is still the boss you don't tend to rag on the boss to the media...once that boss is no longer the boss...you can open up

Reactions: saluno22
When you don't have quality depth, you can't risk losing players in practice to injury. And that perpetuates to playing tentative in games.

The 90s had serious depth.
Injuries happen whether you practice tough or not. You can choose between having to plug in some backups who have learned to fight or watching your starters grab their ankles and make Minnesota look like Alabama. Give me the former.

Football is a violent game. If you coach in fear of that, you dig your grave.

Oh wow...SE is a bigger goofball than we all thought!
Safe to assume there are no other dorks still in love with SE either, right?

I thought he was goofball from the very start.
He is the reason why these last 3 years have been the worst in Nebraska football history since Bob Devaney arrived...

Last edited:
I thought he was goofball from the very start.
He is the reason why these last 3 years have been the worst in Nebraska football history since Bob Devaney arrived...

I had a bad feeling when people at Miami called him "Silent Shawn" and "The Invisible AD". Why would Harvey hire an AD that doesn't like talking to people?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT