ADVERTISEMENT

Banton staying in the NBA draft.

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
Apparently performed well at a G league elite camp and got positive feedback from the NBA. His tweet was very complimentary about Fred. I had forgotten that his fall off in production was immediately after the COVID layoff. That might explain some of his struggles late in the season. Best of luck to him.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
That surprises me.. he had good moves to the bucket for a 6'9 PG but didnt finish all that well.. his outside jumper was not good and his ball handelling wasnt either. Im not trying to bag on him just thought he could increase his stock if he came back and won some more.. but yes good luck to him. Hes a Husker!!

Apparently performed well at a G league elite camp and got positive feedback from the NBA. His tweet was very complimentary about Fred. I had forgotten that his fall off in production was immediately after the COVID layoff. That might explain some of his struggles late in the season. Best of luck to him.

Everything falls on his shooting. If he fixes his form and can carry it into games, he has the talent the NBA craves. What's more likely is G league and maybe international ball if he can't really fix his shooting technique.

He seemed like a good kid and teammate while here so I'm rooting for him.

Everything falls on his shooting. If he fixes his form and can carry it into games, he has the talent the NBA craves. What's more likely is G league and maybe international ball if he can't really fix his shooting technique.

He seemed like a good kid and teammate while here so I'm rooting for him.
I would hope he has his degree by now. IF he does, there's no reason for him to stay in college. BTW, the NBA G league has I believe removed testing and penalties for pot use.

I get the distinct feeling that Fred didn't try too hard to get him to stay. I highly doubt his shot was going to be night and day better, and there's only so many minutes in the rotation. Not saying I wouldn't have welcomed him back but... meh.

He’ll never be a Isaiah Roby..

Probably not. Roby is playing for a bad NBA team, but he's getting NBA pay. Banton could earn a living for the G League or International ball, but he won't be rich. Hopefully, he's preparing himself for after basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
He’ll never be a Isaiah Roby..
Banton has some measurables and talent for a guy with his length that the NBA likes. He obviously would have to improve his shooting but he could do that. Magic Johnson was a poor perimeter shooter in college but worked his ass off to develop a set shot. Creighton had a guy who made it as a defender/rebounder and he eventually developed in to a 3 point threat who had a fairly good long career. Banton is an interesting guy with his length and ball handling ability.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Banton has some measurables and talent for a guy with his length that the NBA likes. He obviously would have to improve his shooting but he could do that. Magic Johnson was a poor perimeter shooter in college but worked his ass off to develop a set shot. Creighton had a guy who made it as a defender/rebounder and he eventually developed in to a 3 point threat who had a fairly good long career. Banton is an interesting guy with his length and ball handling ability.
Over half the time he couldn’t finish driving to the basket..

Over half the time he couldn’t finish driving to the basket..
I doubt he goes to the NBA in the draft but he's from Canada. Playing overseas or in the G league is not a bad gig for a new college grad IF he's graduated. Hell I would have done it in a heartbeat. Instead I went to school for another 4 years to get a doctorate and came out making about the same as some of my classmates with a bachelor's degree. Fortunately my upside was quite a bit higher but still IF I could have gone and played basketball for money I would have done it in a heartbeat. Good heavens. Play ball AND get PAID with an outside shot at big money in the NBA later? SIGN ME UP!

19d4d328b2c52637286686223d1d6464.gif

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
I get the distinct feeling that Fred didn't try too hard to get him to stay. I highly doubt his shot was going to be night and day better, and there's only so many minutes in the rotation. Not saying I wouldn't have welcomed him back but... meh.
Banton did well at the combine, but that's taylor-made for him. 5 on 5 is pick up ball with people trying to get good stats. That's something Banton has always been able to do- get decent stats. And it sounds like he shot the ball well there. So good for him to take advantage of his opportunity as a substitute for a higher ranked player. This is his best shot at getting drafted, but I don't think it will happen. Remember that the top players aren't even at the combine and the once the NBA sees Banton's tape (defense, shooting, decent stats in a losing effort) I really doubt anyone would take a flyer on him.

As for next year's Huskers, Banton had his chance. Fortunately now, we can put the ball in the McGowan brothers' hands both of whom are better basketball players than Banton.

The NBA draft is a developmental draft. They are drafting these kids on what they can be 3 to 5 years from now. The best player at that time rarely goes number 1. See Doug McDermott from Creighton about 8 years ago. He was better than the vast majority of guys that went above him. But Wiggins had the "potential" Banton has that "potential" in spades. Good luck to the kid. Wish we couldve gotten him more than a year.

Reactions: mgbreis
Watched Banton play in the G-League Elite showcase. His shot is still way off. He did not really stand out at all on the court. In fact there was a 6'7" Chinese PG that appeared to be taller than him. This player also showed more of a skillset than Banton did. Banton was listed at 6'9" by NU. I'm guessing he's probably 6'6" which is still at the top end for PGs.

Was surprised at how bad the play was in this "showcase." Seemed like a lot of the guys were just trying to get theirs so it was hard to watch at times. I did notice quite a few players that NU played against the past few years.

Eye of the beholder, apparently.
Delano went from nowhere on the draft radar—literally (only got an invite when someone else was injured)—to a # 65 ESPN slot, based exclusively on the tryouts. Leading one of those events in both rebounds and assists from the point guard position is one of the things that got him noticed.

ADVERTISEMENT