ADVERTISEMENT

Banton declares for NBA draft

He's got to have one of the lowest assist to turnover ratios in the P5 conferences. And how does one go from being benched for poor play to the NBA (on Nebraska- not exactly a power house)?

I want some of what he's smoking...

Reactions: woodman79

I too declare for the NBA draft
In the crazy, fixed mindset world of NBA prospect evaluation, Banton is old. I think he's 22 years old. Probably looking at a reduction in stat opportunities if he stays at NU. It's probably time for this kid to hit the road if all he cares about is trying to play pro basketball somewhere.

I'm all in but at this time self representation makes the most sense. Just a got a new phone and all
Join me in the portal and get some great free trips! The draft can wait for a year. If that doesn’t work out, we can always find suckers for a GoFundMe.

I would like to announce that I am also declaring for the NBA draft.
Who will be selected first? Mwulf, Banton, or me?

Last edited:
Yuck it up--and I would agree it seems like a stretch now--but he's got the tools to play in the NBA and I would bet he makes a roster someday.

Hahahaha! That's hilarious.

Dude...get real.
It's not a bad move by him. He gets evaluated and then he gets feed back on his skills. As long as he hasn't hired an agent he can come back and play at NU next fall. The kid has a lot of talent but he obviously needs to work on his perimeter shooting. I don't get the ridicule by this board of him declaring. Lots of kids do that who have no intention of actually leaving school. On the other hand, he could probably make some coin playing pro ball in Europe if he does leave.

In the crazy, fixed mindset world of NBA prospect evaluation, Banton is old. I think he's 22 years old. Probably looking at a reduction in stat opportunities if he stays at NU. It's probably time for this kid to hit the road if all he cares about is trying to play pro basketball somewhere.
If he's looking at a stat reduction at Nebraska the NBA will have zero interest.

Why wouldn't you go through the evaluation process if you have the opportunity? It's a win-win for him. The level of vitriol towards guys in our own programs is astounding.
totally agree.

kid's got pretty much every physical tool you could ask for. I selfishly would love to have him back next year.

Reactions: mgbreis
Physical talent is there, but he needs a lot of development if he is going to play guard (or any position at this point). Needs to reconstruct his shooting form primarily. Needs more serious reps playing PG to develop good passing instincts (too much tunnel vision driving to the hoop). Sadly, I do not think this will happen at Nebraska as we gave him a shot last year and it did not work out. At his height, I would look at SF, but he's missing the primary element to be a SF. PF also not looking good due to his build and physicality. Needs to bring the 3P% up above 35%.

I was reading a story about Mark Eaton (RIP) yesterday and how he basically sat on the bench at UCLA his senior year and still got drafted and developed. NBA always has loved taking good physical talents and working with them. Best of luck to Banton he seemed like a good kid.

totally agree.

kid's got pretty much every physical tool you could ask for. I selfishly would love to have him back next year.
I think he'll be back, as this seems mainly aimed at gathering feedback. Can't blame him for that, as you never know when you'll get another opportunity for that kind of evaluation.

Making an NBA roster seems like a long shot at this point, but who knows? If I didn't know better and you told me Alex Caruso was getting 20+ minutes per game for the LA Lakers, I would ask you what you are smoking.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I don't know what Banton's NBA potential is. But I do know it's been proven most of you guys didn't know $hit when you were laughing at Roby's NBA potential. So I guess I'm going to assume he'll be back but I'm not assuming he has zero future in the NBA. Banton has a lot of room to improve and this evaluation process should really help him.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I don't know what Banton's NBA potential is. But I do know it's been proven most of you guys didn't know $hit when you were laughing at Roby's NBA potential. So I guess I'm going to assume he'll be back but I'm not assuming he has zero future in the NBA. Banton has a lot of room to improve and this evaluation process should really help him.
I think there are absolutely similarities to Roby

extremely raw, athletic specimen who seems to have a good head for hoops on his shoulders & does whatever the coach asks of them

Banton is a little older at this point, but I see no reason to think he couldn't play his way into a G-League contract with a few hot shooting workouts considering his ball skills and ability to chase down guards at the rim

with his peripheral contributions, if he's 5-6% better from the floor/3 and 7-8% better from the line, he's an All-B1G guard

46/30/70 averages to go with his 6 boards, 4 assists, 2 blk+stl is an unquestionably elite college guard at 6'9"

he's really, really (<10%) close to that

Reactions: mgbreis
It's not a bad move by him. He gets evaluated and then he gets feed back on his skills. As long as he hasn't hired an agent he can come back and play at NU next fall. The kid has a lot of talent but he obviously needs to work on his perimeter shooting. I don't get the ridicule by this board of him declaring. Lots of kids do that who have no intention of actually leaving school. On the other hand, he could probably make some coin playing pro ball in Europe if he does leave.
I was thinking the same thing. I don’t think most people understand that it’s a freebie (as long as an agent isn’t hired) to go to the NBA camps and get evaluated. It’s always a great move for those with NBA intentions.

I’ll also add that Banton has trouble finishing at the rim for someone who is 6’9”. Needs to improve that and outside shooting for a chance.

I wonder how much time and how accurate the evaluation is. Point being that the last mock draft I saw showed 56 of the 60 as early entries or foreign players. Do the NBA execs really take the time to give honest evaluation of a player that more than likely isn't going to get drafted? Or do they just send back a half assed eval and say just probably an UDFA? That just seems like a ton of work for guys trying to evaluate guys that have already signed with an agent, get their draft boards ready etc.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I never laughed at roby. He is Much more explosive and quicker

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
He actually reminds me quite a bit of Penny Hardaway, except their hair and bodies are really different, and Hardaway is a better athlete and way better at basketball.

I wonder how much time and how accurate the evaluation is. Point being that the last mock draft I saw showed 56 of the 60 as early entries or foreign players. Do the NBA execs really take the time to give honest evaluation of a player that more than likely isn't going to get drafted? Or do they just send back a half assed eval and say just probably an UDFA? That just seems like a ton of work for guys trying to evaluate guys that have already signed with an agent, get their draft boards ready etc.
the 'grades' aren't very in depth

from what I understand, it's basically 2 tiers of 1st round pick (lottery/mid-late) or 'other'.. not like the draft and follow stuff you hear about with baseball

ADVERTISEMENT