ADVERTISEMENT

Banker's base defense

Husker.Wed.

Athletic Director
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
My biggest takeaway from today was when Banker said (something like) , "We get real comfortable with our base defense. If things don't go well with our sub-packages, we can go back to base." I'm not real good with Xs and Os, but it seemed to me that sometimes the previous staff would have a defensive gameplan and if it went south, they would stick with it and then panic and discouragement would set in. It seems like a good idea to have something to fall back on if the gameplan isn't working, if for no other reason to let the players go back to something real familiar to let them settle down.

Of course if Wisconsin is running up and down the field on Banker's sub-package and he goes back to base and we are still getting curb-stomped, then it doesn't matter.

I will take my chances with Banker and company over the defensive genius.

Originally posted by Husker.Wed.:

My biggest takeaway from today was when Banker said (something like) , "We get real comfortable with our base defense. If things don't go well with our sub-packages, we can go back to base." I'm not real good with Xs and Os, but it seemed to me that sometimes the previous staff would have a defensive gameplan and if it went south, they would stick with it and then panic and discouragement would set in. It seems like a good idea to have something to fall back on if the gameplan isn't working, if for no other reason to let the players go back to something real familiar to let them settle down.

Of course if Wisconsin is running up and down the field on Banker's sub-package and he goes back to base and we are still getting curb-stomped, then it doesn't matter.
His scheme has some fundamental principals that rarely change:

1. Defensive linemen have one gap and create penetration.
2. SAM and MIKE Linebacker are responsible for stopping the run and rarely have coverage responsibilities.
3. Corners are on an Island in man coverage.
4. Safeties have a lot of flexibilty to roam, but Banker loves to cheat them into the box, assuming his corners can cover.
5. WILL needs to be athletic as a cover man vs. TE or RB.

In order for it work the following needs to occur:

1. Corners must be legit in coverage. If you can play man up without getting beat in one on one, it changes the way a team can play quarters on defense.. just look at Michigan State.

2. SAM Linebacker needs to be a tremendous tackler. That position will be constantly responsible for open field tackles. He must be a ball hawk.

3. Defensive tackles must be disruptive. This goes for any defense, but if the offensive line is worried about keeping the interior of their offensive line focused on the defensive tackles, it allows the MIKE to really "own the box" vs the running game.

4. Safeties must be able to RUN. I mean you need to 4.4 to 4.5 guys who can cover ground in a hurry.

5. Dynamic Pass rushers at Defensive end. If opponents are worried about their tackles protecting the QB out on the edge, it makes the QB susceptible to the blitz from a safety, from the MIKE, or even the SAM or WILL, depending on the formation.

I think Nebraska is in good shape with 4 of those 5.... I'm not sure they have a true edge rusher.

I like that philosophy for either side of the ball. Be good at something. Sure, get creative here and there. But when all else fails, you have something you're good at to fall back on.

Originally posted by Cornicator:

I think Nebraska is in good shape with 4 of those 5.... I'm not sure they have a true edge rusher.
Thanks for the rundown. Maybe Akinmoladun will develop into that edge rusher guy. I suspect that since Banker was getting some heat at OSU it was due not so much to scheme, but not having the players for the roles you mentioned?

Thanks for the rundown. Maybe Akinmoladun will develop into that edge rusher guy. I suspect that since Banker was getting some heat at OSU it was due not so much to scheme, but not having the players for the roles you mentioned?
They were unable to routinely recruit the types of cornerbacks and defensive tackles that he has at Nebraska. They had some good players here and there at those spots. But if you go look at the CB's at Oregon State right now, they have 5 or 6 guys on scholarship who couldn't crack the 3 deep of the Huskers.

At DT, even though Nebraska has some depth issues, players like Kevin Williams and Kevin Maurice would be starters for the Beavers next season.

Conversely, Oregon State has consistently done a better job of recruiting linebackers than the Huskers.

2. SAM and MIKE Linebacker are responsible for stopping the run and rarely have coverage responsibilities.
4. Safeties have a lot of flexibilty to roam, but Banker loves to cheat them into the box, assuming his corners can cover.

1. Corners must be legit in coverage. If you can play man up without getting beat in one on one, it changes the way a team can play quarters on defense.. just look at Michigan State.

2. SAM Linebacker needs to be a tremendous tackler. That position will be constantly responsible for open field tackles. He must be a ball hawk.

3. Defensive tackles must be disruptive. This goes for any defense, but if the offensive line is worried about keeping the interior of their offensive line focused on the defensive tackles, it allows the MIKE to really "own the box" vs the running game.

4. Safeties must be able to RUN. I mean you need to 4.4 to 4.5 guys who can cover ground in a hurry.

5. Dynamic Pass rushers at Defensive end. If opponents are worried about their tackles protecting the QB out on the edge, it makes the QB susceptible to the blitz from a safety, from the MIKE, or even the SAM or WILL, depending on the formation.

Great post. I realize every team is the NC in Spring and Fall camp, but I love everything I am hearing from these coaches and players right now. As you point out no more 2 gap. Thank you run stopping defense. See ball, get ball. If we are copying MSU's defense then fantastic. See ball get ball. 11 hats to the ball using superior speed and talent. I don't know how that will transfer to the field, but it has to be a lot easier for the players to learn. D lineman aggressively going after the QB. I love this. I know it won't be every play but I expect more disruption as a result. I am very pumped about the player's interviews were they are now saying Bo's defenses were complex and required a lot of thinking, and this defense allows they to play faster and utilize their team speed. It feels good to be a homer again after the last 2 years of depression under Bo.

Originally posted by swalker7799:

Great post. I realize every team is the NC in Spring and Fall camp, but I love everything I am hearing from these coaches and players right now. As you point out no more 2 gap. Thank you run stopping defense. See ball, get ball. If we are copying MSU's defense then fantastic. See ball get ball. 11 hats to the ball using superior speed and talent. I don't know how that will transfer to the field, but it has to be a lot easier for the players to learn. D lineman aggressively going after the QB. I love this. I know it won't be every play but I expect more disruption as a result. I am very pumped about the player's interviews were they are now saying Bo's defenses were complex and required a lot of thinking, and this defense allows they to play faster and utilize their team speed. It feels good to be a homer again after the last 2 years of depression under Bo.
Agreed. You saw with Pelini's defense what you saw with Callahan's offense. It was full of great ideas on paper that the kids couldn't bring to life on the field. Make it simple: Your mission on defense is to go out there and force the offense out of their comfort zone. Make them perform under duress.

I wonder if Corn's #2 is why Rose was moved outside. He can tackle in space pretty well. Banderas can probably do a job in the middle in this scheme. Newby's athleticism will be nice at the Will, although, if he's covering a TE or RB alot, it may take some pass rush opportunities from him.

Clearly, Nebraska's defense under the former coaching staff's leadership failed at times, especially against stout running teams. But let's not completely trash them as though they were Cosgrove defenses. This may have been the best defense against the pass in all of the country. Teams consistently completed significantly lower percentages against Nebraska than others.

My point isn't to defend the previous coaching staff, but only to say if this "new" scheme is indeed plugged in successfully, look for one area to fall off, at least moderately. I'd guess we may not be quite as dominant against the pass as we used to be. I'd take that, personally.

Nebraska's D needs to get back to stopping the run FIRST, then making a team one-dimensional so they can blitz and get exotic to stop the pass second.

Originally posted by jflores:
I wonder if Corn's #2 is why Rose was moved outside. He can tackle in space pretty well. Banderas can probably do a job in the middle in this scheme. Newby's athleticism will be nice at the Will, although, if he's covering a TE or RB alot, it may take some pass rush opportunities from him.
I actually think Santos will be the starter at WILL if he comes back healthy.

And Rose at SAM is clearly by design from Banker. I think he watched Banderas in the Holiday Bowl and likely went back and watched Rose's film from 2013.

Bo had some great defenses. Good players can excel in many different schemes. Barry Turner, Suh, Crick, Pierre Allen, Dillard, Dennard, Prince, Hagg, Gomes, etc. Suh was a once in a generation player, maybe once in 2 generations. Things can get very easy for your defense when the opposing QB is running for his life.
But if you take most collegiate players and put them in a system of complexity, it slows them down. And it retards use of younger players who may have a good degree of athletic talent.

I had always heard one of the cracks against OSU was that both their offense and defense was too complex. Is that not right?

How does Bankers scheme compare to Cosgrove's regading gap assignment and such. I know different conferences now, I'm just curious to here some in depth opinions from somebody with more knowledge than I have.

I have a feeling Banker will go down in history like bohl, cosgrove, and pelini 2011-14 did...his name will be synonymous with mediocrity ...Just something that doesnt inspire confidence

Originally posted by chicolby:
Clearly, Nebraska's defense under the former coaching staff's leadership failed at times, especially against stout running teams. But let's not completely trash them as though they were Cosgrove defenses. This may have been the best defense against the pass in all of the country. Teams consistently completed significantly lower percentages against Nebraska than others.

My point isn't to defend the previous coaching staff, but only to say if this "new" scheme is indeed plugged in successfully, look for one area to fall off, at least moderately. I'd guess we may not be quite as dominant against the pass as we used to be. I'd take that, personally.

Nebraska's D needs to get back to stopping the run FIRST, then making a team one-dimensional so they can blitz and get exotic to stop the pass second.
Which is why it was a good scheme for the Big 12 but not the B1G. We will now give up more big passing plays but we will stop the run better and create more turnovers. Im happy as heck with that trade off.

Originally posted by chicolby:

Pelini's defense suffered more than anything else from lack of real adjustments. The guy mastered one page out of a playbook that is fairly deep, and he didn't have any answers when experienced offensive coordinators on the other side made adjustments. The emerging pattern was there even in the Big XII. Pelini was very substitution driven in the way he played things. We would get to anything longer than a six yard second down and immediately sub in a heavy defensive back package. The issue was that we faced teams in the Big Ten who weren't intimidated about running the ball on a longer downs and we were caught too often playing a very passive, pass defense against a team that was committed to running the ball.

The pass defense numbers that were amassed in Lincoln were a function of good coaching on the back end and opponent. We were the #1 pass efficiency defense one year, and finished quite high a number of times, but the year we were #1, Georgia set a record against Nebraska for passing yards against, and they had a good attack but that game proved that our numbers were inflated because of the league we were in and the number of attempts we faced. The Big Ten isn't a league of teams that toss it all over the yard. I'm convinced that if we had stayed in the Big XII with Pelini's approach, we would have seen worse losses than we have in recent years. His plan of attack required you have the kind of talent the 2009 defense had in order to be elite. That was the other downfall of his plan, he wasn't willing to spend the time necessary to get those kinds of guys.

They were unable to routinely recruit the types of cornerbacks and defensive tackles that he has at Nebraska. They had some good players here and there at those spots. But if you go look at the CB's at Oregon State right now, they have 5 or 6 guys on scholarship who couldn't crack the 3 deep of the Huskers.

At DT, even though Nebraska has some depth issues, players like Kevin Williams and Kevin Maurice would be starters for the Beavers next season.

Conversely, Oregon State has consistently done a better job of recruiting linebackers than the Huskers.
FWIW

Nebraska has only 1 more DB than Oregon State currently in the league. (5 OSU, 6 Nebraska)

The number drafted the number is 6 / OSU and 8 / Nebraska.

And the number that have at least played a game is 9 for OSU and 8 for Nebraska.

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:
This article gives some insight to Banker's defense. The folks there felt it was pretty complex.
He's actually changing his defense to be more like Mich State because he believes he has the athletes in the secondary to execute it.

I agree with what Jaw said above too.
This post was edited on 3/10 11:03 PM by Kinish

I think Banker's defense will be more quarters with CBs manned up on an island than in the past. But we'll see. Maybe Riley will emasculate an assistant for suggestions about stopping an outside run.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by ssmith84:
I think Banker's defense will be more quarters with CBs manned up on an island than in the past. But we'll see. Maybe Riley will emasculate an assistant for suggestions about stopping an outside run.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Correct, typically a four man front with Quarters in the secondary. Coach Banker has more talent than he likely ever has had. It will be interesting to see how he utilizes it. Just a little short with depth at the LB position but with 7-9 of our opponents spreading the field, that may not be to big of an issue at this time. Coach Stewart and Coach Hughes have to be very excited coaches.

This article gives some insight to Banker's defense. The folks there felt it was pretty complex.
Not sure how objective or informative this article is since it was written by Andy Woolridge who tells anyone who will listen Mike Riley and his staff suck. I picked up on this ditty: "This is still a unit of Mike Cavanaugh's recruits, where speed and agility weren't a focus, and as such, they are still who they were, and still don't move all that well." I guess that means Jalin Barnett and Christian Gaylord (Cavanaugh recruits I believe) are slow and clumsy. His article compares Riley's offense and defense from last year to the scheme the new OSU staff ran at their THIRD PRACTICE. If I have to rely on a Riley-hater or our current players to form an opinion on how complex Banker's defense is, I think I give more weight to our players.

Don't get me wrong, I am worried HCMR may turn out to be somewhat Callahanish when it comes to the complexity of his offense and how many penalties OSU traditionally had, etc., but this writer sounds butthurt.

Not sure how objective or informative this article is since it was written by Andy Woolridge who tells anyone who will listen Mike Riley and his staff suck. I picked up on this ditty: "This is still a unit of Mike Cavanaugh's recruits, where speed and agility weren't a focus, and as such, they are still who they were, and still don't move all that well." I guess that means Jalin Barnett and Christian Gaylord (Cavanaugh recruits I believe) are slow and clumsy. His article compares Riley's offense and defense from last year to the scheme the new OSU staff ran at their THIRD PRACTICE. If I have to rely on a Riley-hater or our current players to form an opinion on how complex Banker's defense is, I think I give more weight to our players.

Don't get me wrong, I am worried HCMR may turn out to be somewhat Callahanish when it comes to the complexity of his offense and how many penalties OSU traditionally had, etc., but this writer sounds butthurt.
you can find his great website Here

This post was edited on 3/11 12:56 AM by Kinish

Having read everyone's thoughts, I think I will have to take the obvious "I'll believe it when I see it" route for the defense. Personnel-wise, it clearly feels like we have more than Oregon State had. This leads me to believe Banker's system will work. If the players seem to love it, whatever keeps them motivated I'm all for. Corn's got great defensive analysis per the usual, and I can see our linebackers will have a lot on their shoulders come game-time.

With the way they recruited the LB position up in Corvallis it is easy to see why Riley commented a few days ago that we are not deep at the linebacker position. Aside from Banker, I think Linebackers coach Trent Bray is on the rise and will develop our linebackers to their highest level. I am thoroughly excited for our linebackers and future recruited linebackers.

Check out Bray in coaching: http://dataomaha.com/quick-hit/351

The players really do seem to be in good hands. All around, the coaching staff have hit the right notes IMO. The only reason I say the "Believe it when I see it" is because I'm not sure how these systems will fit the Huskers' strengths.

However, it makes me quite excited that all the players and coaches seem to be on the right page thus far!

So would you say that 95% of the people on this board are the wrong ones to ask about Bo? They are hardly objective or informative. I have no idea if the author is right or not. However, he is very detailed in his assessment and it seems to be in line with what others have said about both the offense and defense at OSU.

Maybe this board is right and OSU simply didn't have the horses to run what they really wanted to run. However, I would say the same thing about Bo. Those defenses five or six years ago were nasty...we just didn't have the personnel to run them.

This post was edited on 3/11 2:44 PM by Tulsa Tom

Originally posted by Kinish:

FWIW

Nebraska has only 1 more DB than Oregon State currently in the league. (5 OSU, 6 Nebraska)

And the number that have at least played a game is 9 for OSU and 8 for Nebraska.
I think you misunderstood my point. Not all Good College Players go on to play in the NFL. I think we can all agree guys like Ciante Evans and Josh Mitchell were good college DB's despite not being pro players.

Oregon State has always had some Pro Players sprinkled on the roster. They were very good at development and finding "diamonds in the rough."

But Banker and Riley also had to settle for a number of DB's and Defensive linemen who they would never attempt to recruit at Nebraska.

He's actually changing his defense to be more like Mich State because he believes he has the athletes in the secondary to execute it.

I agree with what Jaw said above too.

This post was edited on 3/10 11:03 PM by Kinish
I sure hope so - Defense with this new staff is what I am most worried about. Banker's defense at OSU was getting pretty bad over the last 4-5 years he needed to change something.

I am hopeful the change to Big10 style of ball works to his advantage but defense under him scares me.

In fact I think defense is where this new staff will make it or lose it. NU fans want good defense, we can generally handle a loss unless WI is running for 600 yards against us.

Riley is hands off on the defense its all Banker's and I think he really needs to show something and quickly

I think, honestly, that we never successfully made the transition from the Big XII to the B1G. Our defensive scheme was tailored nicely for our former conference, and I believe it still would have worked well there. The thing about the B1G is, you need to stop the run, and you have to have quality depth. Say what you want about the football quality, but teams in our conference are beat to crap by November. I hope that Banker (and Riley) will design a defense that is aggressive and dictates to the offense. Too often over the last few years it just seemed like our defense was blindfolded, smoking, and awaiting the firing squad. Stop the run, force the pass, and take your chances.

FWIW

I think you misunderstood my point. Not all Good College Players go on to play in the NFL. I think we can all agree guys like Ciante Evans and Josh Mitchell were good college DB's despite not being pro players.

Oregon State has always had some Pro Players sprinkled on the roster. They were very good at development and finding "diamonds in the rough."

But Banker and Riley also had to settle for a number of DB's and Defensive linemen who they would never attempt to recruit at Nebraska.
And you missed my point. They recruited and developed DB's fine. I'm sure Oregon St had some 'good college players' too. Yes of course Nebraska has a depth advantage. My point was they still put DB's in the league in which some are pretty successful.

Problem with OSU was always the DLine recruiting it seemed. They had a couple of guys do well (Crichton and Paea) but nothing special. Regardless of how well Hughes recruits, he's a damn good dline coach.

This post was edited on 3/11 4:41 PM by Kinish

Jesus X -- I think you may be right. I'm not instilled with a guy who states he doesn't understand X's and O's. I just get the feeling that most of the entire staff is comprised of safe choices who wont embarrass Nebraska.

Originally posted by elvis1403:
I'm not instilled with a guy who states he doesn't understand X's and O's.
If you are talking about my post, after playing midget, jr high, and high school football, watching about 15 hours a week for 38 years since, reading three message boards daily, and studying what the Nebraska coaches do, you could probably assume I know a tackle from a guard. The Xs and Os comment was a nice way to defer to people who post here who coached or are excellent students of the game beyond my understanding.

ADVERTISEMENT