ADVERTISEMENT

Banker Gone

In today's era, Charlie McBride himself may have lost his job before everything came together for him nicely in the mid-90's.
My husband said he wrote a letter to the editor in the late 80's asking for Charlie to be fired. His defenses in that decade were really bad.

Imagine you're Coach Riley. How do you explain OhSU scoring on every possession except when the clock saves you. You don't, you start looking for a new DC.

Based on how hard some people argued in favor of Banker over the last two years, it's kind of funny reading some of these replies.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Nebraska hasn't had a coach fire mediocre or bad coaches in about 20 years. Especially when they're related or best friends. So it's kind of a big deal.
i suppose thats true and yet, my point still stands.

Riley takes over an extremely toxic program, and decides to do it with a couple guys he trusts the most to assist him in settling things down. Two years later, with the worst senior class in my lifetime departed, Riley is making changes to take the next step.

It's not a surprise some posters are throwing shade at the guy instead of giving him props. It was within the last 25 months the same posters said he would never fire his buddies. Well, he just did 2 months apart.

Mike Riley isn't screwing around, and it's sickening that some "fans" don't appreciate what he's doing. Some of you claim you want to see Nebraska return to top 10 finishes, conference titles, major bowls, etc but you refuse to support the man in charge doing everything in his power to get Nebraska back.

Or Tom Osborne for that matter.
True. We're lucky no move was ever made. There were a couple rough endings to a couple seasons, but those two made some fantastic adjustments to the program and things really took off from there. I'm not going to argue for Banker to stay, but I am sad to hear he's going. The other two sound like they're going on their own terms.

Riley takes over an extremely toxic program, and decides to do it with a couple guys he's trusts the most to assist him in settling things down. Two years later, with the worst senior class in my lifetime departed, Riley is making changes to take the next step.

It's not a surprise some posters are throwing shade at the guy instead of giving him props. It was within the last 25 months the same posters said he would never fire his buddies. Well, he just did 2 months apart.

Mike Riley isn't fvcking around, and it's sickening that some "fans" don't appreciate what he's doing. Some of you claim you want to see Nebraska return to top 10 finishes, conference titles, major bowls, etc but you refuse to support the man in charge doing everything in his power to get Nebraska back.
This. Post of the day.
Riley means business. End of discussion

I wasn't sure that I agreed about Jay Sawvel, but what you said about the bowl game reminded me of how freaking impressed I was with Minnesota's defense to shut down WSUs passing game.

I just looked up Minnesota's defensive rankings this year:
Total Defense - 21
Scoring Defense - 21
Rushing Defense - 14
Passing Eff. Defense - 27
3rd Down Coversion % - 56
4th Down Conversion % - 49
Red Zone Defense - 109**** (looks worse than it is?)
**** Only allowed opponents into red zone 39 times. Most teams allowed 45 - 55.
**** Only allowed 10 Rushing TDs and 15 Passing TDs.

How is his recruiting? Eh, not great from the looks of it. He was at Minnesota since 2011 and only landed 3 stars... but it is Minnesota.

I would think Sawvel would seem likely with the info coming out about him in the last couple days.
Although his first year as Minnesota DC was relatively good, he lacks DC experience.

Aranda would be awesome, but wiki says he made like 1.3 millions a year at LSU... that kind of money is not gonna happen here... unless he is willing to take a pay cut to get away from Ed O. **crosses fingers**

He was 2nd in the Big Ten in rushing defense, BUT 13th in passing defense. That is kinda scary.

Riley takes over an extremely toxic program, and decides to do it with a couple guys he trusts the most to assist him in settling things down. Two years later, with the worst senior class in my lifetime departed, Riley is making changes to take the next step.

Mike Riley isn't fvcking around, and it's sickening that some "fans" don't appreciate what he's doing. Some of you claim you want to see Nebraska return to top 10 finishes, conference titles, major bowls, etc but you refuse to support the man in charge doing everything in his power to get Nebraska back.

Post of the century!!!

True. We're lucky no move was ever made. There were a couple rough endings to a couple seasons, but those two made some fantastic adjustments to the program and things really took off from there. I'm not going to argue for Banker to stay, but I am sad to hear he's going. The other two sound like they're going on their own terms.
Agree, Dean. I've hired and fired more than most. I'm always saddened by firings...even if I wasn't fond of those affected. Hopefully, expectations were effectively set from the get go. ...wishing the departing coaches the best of success going forward!

Reactions: Dean Pope

Mike Riley isn't screwing around, and it's sickening that some "fans" don't appreciate what he's doing. Some of you claim you want to see Nebraska return to top 10 finishes, conference titles, major bowls, etc but you refuse to support the man in charge doing everything in his power to get Nebraska back.
I have had thoughts that some coaches that Riley brought with him on this staff were basically a "transition" team and when the time was right, moves were made. His comments after the bowl game about being the end of one chapter and the starting of a new one(or something like that) start to make a little more sense now. It wasn't just players, it may have been coaches too.

Good post

I have had thoughts that some coaches that Riley brought with him on this staff were basically a "transition" team and when the time was right, moves were made. His comments after the bowl game about being the end of one chapter and the starting of a new one(or something like that) start to make a little more sense now. It wasn't just players, it may have been coaches too.

It wasn't players...good catch

God, I loved this post.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bray as DC. We have to do something to keep him in the near term.

I don't think he'll get the position, Riley will probably aim pretty big. And probably already has considering we really need a guy *NOW*.

Last edited:
Shawn Watson and Ted Gilmore would probably disagree. Unfortunately, Bo did not go out and replace them with better coaches. I hope that Riley will.

Forgot they both didn't 'get their contracts renewed' like Banker. But they were both Callahan hold overs and not on staff for the 'friends and family' positions that I mentioned above.

Reactions: timnsun
This. Post of the day.
Riley means business. End of discussion
So you are applauding a post that said Riley brought with him inferior football coaches because he trusted them instead of finding the best football coaches out there. And that means business?

Let's say Riley told us this ingenious plan on Day 1. "Friends, these guys aren't great coaches (look at OSU) but they will serve as a good transition team for a few years. We won't have any real on the field improvement but in year 3 I will ditch them and get real football coaches."

How many of us would have said, "That's a brilliant plan!"

Last edited:
So you are applauding a post that said Riley brought with him inferior football coaches because he trusted them instead of finding the best football coaches out there. And that means business?

Let's say Riley told us this ingenious plan on Day 1. "Friends, these guys aren't great coaches (look at OSU) but they will serve as a good transition team for a few years. We won't have any real on the field improvement but in year 3 I will ditch them and get real football coaches."

That isn't what the post said, Tulsa Tom.

I applaud Riley for making the move and it does show a willingness to change to better the team and program. Banker imo was never going to coach a championship team.

This move gives some hope for the future and to be honest given MR history with Banker it is very surprising but welcome.

Now let's pay whatever it takes and get a top notch D.C. In here that can recruit like crazy

This move is Riley taking all the names and excuses that the Riley Haters cling to and sending them out like Old Yeller.

The guy has shown willingness to fire the guys no one said he would after what used to pass for a very successful season in Lincoln. Not long ago we were told not to expect an apology for 9 wins and now 9 wins costs 3 assistants their jobs. Things that make you go hmmmm
I don't think there are any Riley haters. Some of the biggest Riley supporters used these same names and excuses. Riley supporters didn't think he'd fire his buddies either. You and a few other posters are creating a dichotomy of the fan base that isn't there.

I don't think there are any Riley haters. Some of the biggest Riley supporters used these same names and excuses. Riley supporters didn't think he'd fire his buddies either. You and a few other posters are creating a dichotomy of the fan base that isn't there.

There are a lot of Riley haters. They won't be happy until he is gone. Sad.

I think I disagree a little... I agree that no one hates Riley as a person, but many have expresssd their displeasure in Riley as a coach. More support him than not, but there are still a number of posters who have been vocal that these changes won't really change a thing.

Having said that, it's entirely possible that those posters aren't really fans, I don't know...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bray as DC. We have to do something to keep him in the near term.

I don't think he'll get the position, Riley will probably aim pretty big. And probably already has considering we really need a guy *NOW*.

Bray has shown little as a LB coach. Until he has a unit that performs I can't see him becoming a D.C. At least not here.

When a coaching change takes place, some of the players are going to be unhappy about it. That's to be expected. There was nothing extremely toxic about it. Just another fairy tale you and your buddies on this board made up with no basis in reality.

And where's the proof that these are the same posters? There was a lot of people saying he wouldn't fire his buddies. What proof is there that those were the same people criticizing Riley? You're trying to create a rift among the posters on this board.

When a coaching change takes place, some of the players are going to be unhappy about it. That's to be expected. There was nothing extremely toxic about it. Just another fairy tale you and your buddies on this board made up with no basis in reality.

And where's the proof that these are the same posters? There was a lot of people saying he wouldn't fire his buddies. What proof is there that those were the same people criticizing Riley? You're trying to create a rift among the posters on this board.
Good point. Most coaching transitions include fired coaches telling players on the way out the door to make waves, and most fired coaches tweet former players to sow discord among the team to sabotage the season. And most players who experience a coaching change sleepwalk through games like Purdue.

Or maybe, you're the one who is wrong about the situation. I was fine with you trying to say the fans are united in their support of Riley, even though I don't think gay is totally accurate... but to say the situation wasn't any more toxic than normal just blasted your credibility out the window.

Now I just think you are clueless.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I think Mike Riley did what he had to do, he has shown no fear in letting people out the door if they don't hold up their end of the bargain. I hope at the end of the day he has someone in mind that is proven and will come in and do what needs to be done. it's year 3 and the haters are hating and he is showing the balls to let go of people who are paddeling up the river without the paddle. he is a veteran coach who knows what he is doing, we the fans should back him and not bash him for trying to get us better. he sees the writing on the wall if it doesn't pan out, bring someone in and let's see what we can do, we are about 2 years maybe 3 of being a pretty good team, we need bigger stronger and faster guys.

Reactions: timnsun
Sad to see Banker go, always thought he was a cool, but knowledgeable guy.

This does beg some questions on why Mike hired these guys to begin with? You don't see Mike firing his buddy's in his past history, so I have to believe that some pressure is being applied from above.

This idea that somehow Mike is ruthless in turning over the coaching staff and some relentless pursuit of championships at a school he's only been at for 2 years, does not fit the man's character or prior history.

Last edited:

We don't need another John Papuchis DC promotion. Bray's group hasn't really been that impressive, so promoting a guy just so he doesn't leave is not always a great idea. Riley needs this hire to be a home run, because a swing and a miss could seal his fate in Lincoln.

Tulsa Tom...masquerading as his wife......you can't make this sh*t up....lmao.

I am now just waiting for Toms Cat, Toms Dog, and Toms Fish to provide us with their thoughts on the coaching situation at Nebraska.....

Last edited:
I didn't hate banker. Our challenges are broader. That said, me thinks there is a name already lined up......or maybe that's just wishful thinking. Either way, I'm neither excited, nor upset about these moves. Let's see who we get......then break out the party poppers.

Reactions: HuskerDana
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT