ADVERTISEMENT

Banker Gone

Jay Sawvel would be a good get I think... he has been a hit here in Minnesota and his performance against wash st in the bowl game was nothing short of a miracle with the suspensions they had.

I wasn't sure that I agreed about Jay Sawvel, but what you said about the bowl game reminded me of how freaking impressed I was with Minnesota's defense to shut down WSUs passing game.

I just looked up Minnesota's defensive rankings this year:
Total Defense - 21
Scoring Defense - 21
Rushing Defense - 14
Passing Eff. Defense - 27
3rd Down Coversion % - 56
4th Down Conversion % - 49
Red Zone Defense - 109**** (looks worse than it is?)
**** Only allowed opponents into red zone 39 times. Most teams allowed 45 - 55.
**** Only allowed 10 Rushing TDs and 15 Passing TDs.

How is his recruiting? Eh, not great from the looks of it. He was at Minnesota since 2011 and only landed 3 stars... but it is Minnesota.

I would think Sawvel would seem likely with the info coming out about him in the last couple days.
Although his first year as Minnesota DC was relatively good, he lacks DC experience.

Aranda would be awesome, but wiki says he made like 1.3 millions a year at LSU... that kind of money is not gonna happen here... unless he is willing to take a pay cut to get away from Ed O. **crosses fingers**

Reactions: timnsun
what does it say about a guy when he has to can 2 of his 3 coordinators 2 years into a job? says to me he made some bad decisions two years ago.

A lot of us thought he did make some mistakes on his hireing... Looks like he going to correct those mistakes.Winking

what does it say about a guy when he has to can 2 of his 3 coordinators 2 years into a job? says to me he made some bad decisions two years ago.

It says that things aren't working out. He made a hire that in hindsight didn't work out. You have the benefit of saying that in hindsight now. The guy makes mistakes with his hires but he doesn't keep
Them around like the last three coaches did.

It says that things aren't working out. He made a hire that in hindsight didn't work out. You have the benefit of saying that in hindsight now. The guy makes mistakes with his hires but he doesn't keep
Or the hindsight of the last 12 years

Very true. This discussion will be a mute point 2 to 3 years from now. I will give him credit for doing what needs to be done. However, one should try to get it right the first time. I think a lot of people can see how this will play out in a couple of years.

His contract was also up on Jan. 31, 2017. Have to think he transitioned here then Riley re-evaluated during the Ohio State, Iowa and Tennessee games. Decided it was time to end the contract.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
This is a big boy move and I think it is a good move for the team. While I applaud the general improvement from last year to this year, the end of the season showed us what we've seen plenty of in the past.

Assuming Langsdorf can finally implement their desired offense coupled with a more successful D coordinator we can start to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Very true. This discussion will be a mute point 2 to 3 years from now. I will give him credit for doing what needs to be done. However, one should try to get it right the first time. I think a lot of people can see how this will play out in a couple of years.

A "moot" point is debatable and open for discussion but may not come to any satisfactory conclusion or whose conclusion may be meaningless.

How would you guys feel about Raheem Morris? Knows college game well if you're plucking someone from the NFL. Was pretty awesome at KSU even with an idiot HC.

Reactions: headcard
no, i said it 2 years ago. the results were predictable.

Reactions: nebcountry
I think the idea would be to take Sawvel as the safeties coach. No? Mike Riley's future in Lincoln could hinge on his DC hire, it really needs to be a home run. Either way, props to Riley for doing what he thinks is necessary to take us to the next level. That took some serious stones!

Also, i wonder if Langs is shitting his pants right now lol with the talent upgrades we'll have across the entire offense next season, he's gotta be feeling the pressure to get it done!

Reactions: jeans15
Riley (and SE) are on the clock. they have two years. dont need to win a title, but they need to look like they're at least competing with the big boys. Otherwise, we'll be on to reset number 4.

Great move by riley, he saw that better coaching is needed and thankfully doesnt buy into the "cant coach kids you diddnt recruit and dont have talent" garbage and excuses we hear on here.
Riley is SAVAGE.
AND HAS HUGE BALLS
Please let this hire be the right one...please please please.....a great defense is so much more important than offense. This could be a major turning point, and a good d coordinator can have immediate results..doesnt need to wait for a qb for example, just putting guys in positions to make plays and confusing O-linemen and qbs is vital while getting your guys to play fast and with confidence...see wisconsin.
PLEASE FOOTBALL GAWDS HAVE MERCY ON US IF PEDO STATE CAN WIN LET US HAVE A D COORDINATOR WORTH A DAMN!!

Riley (and SE) are on the clock. they have two years. dont need to win a title, but they need to look like they're at least competing with the big boys. Otherwise, we'll be on to reset number 4.
I love your posts...I totally agree. This was a great pound of flesh move for so many reasons

i like how firing mediocre or bad coaches is some kind of heroic, huge balls thing now. it should be expected from anyone considered halfway decent.

Reactions: ExxHusker
I have no idea what that has to do with my comment and the comment to which I responded.

Really? OSU fans said a lot of things. One of them being not liking Banker and Reed and another saying that Riley would never get rid of them. You don't see how they're related?

Does the Iowa game make more sense now? I always thought something weird happpened in the week leading up to it. Prolly not, just spit ballin.

Reactions: newAD
What top NFL assistants does Riley have ties to? Im sure there are a lot but I dont follow NFL at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT