ADVERTISEMENT

Balloon tradition

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
I saw that a FL based company has put up a billboard here in at attempt to have the tradition stopped. I guess Clemson was the only other school to release balloons and they will stop doing in this year. Totally ridiculous, I love the things some people get obsessed about.
Anyways I don't see it ending here any time soon. If it ever does, what could replace it?..... Give everyone a bag of confetti, instead of balloons everyone throws confetti in the air. The cleaning crew would love that. :)

https://www.ketv.com/article/billbo...d-nebraska-balloon-release-tradition/22747000

I saw that a FL based company has put up a billboard here in at attempt to have the tradition stopped. I guess Clemson was the only other school to release balloons and they will stop doing in this year. Totally ridiculous, I love the things some people get obsessed about.
Anyways I don't see it ending here any time soon. If it ever does, what could replace it?..... Give everyone a bag of confetti, instead of balloons everyone throws confetti in the air. The cleaning crew would love that. :)

https://www.ketv.com/article/billbo...d-nebraska-balloon-release-tradition/22747000

That really is a fantastic idea...

Going to my very first game(1968) at Memorial studium that was one of coolest things after a Huskers first score..

Hope we keep it 3,000 balloons are realistic from all reports.

Do kids really still enjoy the balloon release, or is this just something that brings back fond memories for us old-timers? If it's the latter, get some good video footage of balloons being released (preferably from a big win, though those clips are probably getting harder to find) and show it on the big screen after the first TD. That way you can still honor the tradition without the litter problem.

Do kids really still enjoy the balloon release, or is this just something that brings back fond memories for us old-timers? If it's the latter, get some good video footage of balloons being released (preferably from a big win, though those clips are probably getting harder to find) and show it on the big screen after the first TD. That way you can still honor the tradition without the litter problem.
Well, my two grand nephews (ages 10 and 7) both seemed to enjoy it last year when I bought them balloons for the Wisconsin game. So there are at least two!

My God the insanity! Balloons! We must stop it now or march upon the campus. We must unite against this capitalistic imperialistic conspiracy to destroy our environment with red balloons!

You can have my balloons when you rip them from my cold, dead hands!

My God the insanity! Balloons! We must stop it now or march upon the campus. We must unite against this capitalistic imperialistic conspiracy to destroy our environment with red balloons!

YOu should go to that FB page. They are definitely passionate about their cause.

On one hand they are a noticeable blemish on people's properties that may kill animals dumb enough to eat them. On the other hand, weeeeeee balloons.

Just put it to a vote! Ask the people in THIS state yay or nay. What ever they decide that's what stays for five years and it can come up for a vote again.

Besides don't people from Florida have enough problems of their own. Like being from Florida.

Keep the balloons. It's unique and awesome.

Hell,l soon we all with just live with everything being the exact same so some doesn't complain about something.

Why do people always have to steal the joy from life.
Guessing mostly because their lives are miserable. When they see others being happy and having a good time, they want to take it away

I do

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

Amen

Years ago they tried to get rid of them because of the helium shortage. Some how we found enough. Survival of the fittest. Eat balloons=die. Don't eat balloons=live. We're just helping to weed out the dumb ones and making for a smarter overall species.....

Reactions: jeans15

Fortunately Perlman is out of the decision loop.

Trade ya for red balloons
iu

The balloons are biodegradable, the string is cotton. Both do not destroy ground water.

This is a ridiculous waste of time for those folks in Florida. Helping clean up their beaches right now is the crisis all around them that they should be worried about.

Every other school in the country has deemed the balloon launch something that adds more harm than good and have stopped the tradition.

I haven’t studied the topic but if the downside is sizable, I have no problem ending this tradition. The world changes. We learn more. We move on.

Every other school in the country has deemed the balloon launch something that adds more harm than good and have stopped the tradition.

I haven’t studied the topic but if the downside is sizable, I have no problem ending this tradition. The world changes. We learn more. We move on.

While allowing fans to drink for profit and trash property or kill someone on the way home.

You can't save every living thing.

We should stop flying as well. It kills more birds than balloons.

Reactions: husker2612
While allowing fans to drink for profit and trash property or kill someone on the way home.

and driving. Think of all the poor squirrels, deer, raccoons, possums, and bugs that are killed every year. :(o_O

Reactions: jeans15
If they are truly biodegradable and break down quickly, then continue the tradition. If there is proof out there that they don't break down quickly enough to not harm the flora and fauna, then they should be discontinued. I enjoy seeing them as much as anyone, but if they do damage to the environment, we should discontinue them.

On one hand they are a noticeable blemish on people's properties that may kill animals dumb enough to eat them. On the other hand, weeeeeee balloons.

Just put it to a vote! Ask the people in THIS state yay or nay. What ever they decide that's what stays for five years and it can come up for a vote again.

Besides don't people from Florida have enough problems of their own. Like being from Florida.
Any animal dumb enough to eat a balloon deserves to die. Hopefully its the starlings that crap on my cars.

Trashing property and killing someone is illegal.

Flying serves a purpose that gets people from point A to point B. Letting go of balloons serves a purpose of making you feel proud?

I didn’t say we should save “every single living thing”. Why are you mad about my opinion? Because it’s different than yours?

ADVERTISEMENT