ADVERTISEMENT

BAGMAN SEC?

I remember 2014, I had more hair and less around the middle. Those were the days.

I can't vouch for the validity of the OPs article.
However there is a tremendous amount of evidence that SEC teams do in fact knowingly cheat and pay players to come to their school. Polls from DI coaches:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...how-many-teams-cheat-commit-major-violations/

My personal experience working in finance in College Station- while a student at Texas A&M

Then of course the high dollar bidding wars we saw for Cam Newton and Treadwell

It seems to have long been a part of SEC football and a learned- passed down behaviour. For instance look at Bear Bryant- a serial cheater caught red handed at Texas A&M and Bama. Looking at Bears coaching tree- it looks like a whos who of some of the most notorious and brazen cheaters of all time: Pat Dye, Dennis Ford, Gene Stallings and Jackie Sherrill for starters.

While we cant blame all the decisions of an 18 year old who decides not to play here because they were paid by another school- there are LOTS of good reasons to pick other schools. But it isn't a stretch at all to think when you lose a player to a Mississippi, Tennessee or Kentucky that money may have been a factor in some of those decisions.

Hate to hear Stallings lumped into that...he was a family friend of my parents when he coached in St.Louis... makes me sad if true....

I know they are just kids - but I think there needs to be stiffer penalties for the kids that accept these illegal benefits. They and their families know the rules.

If found guilty of accepting illegal payments their scholarship is null and void and the minimal fine is equal to the tuition/room/board they received while in college. If they have since moved on since the incident then that might by yearly tuition/room/board x 4-5 years. The NBA and NFL could assist with this by partnering with the NCAA and making stiff penalties that apply to the athletes professional playing time - large salary hit and suspension.

The fact of the matter is that it is extremely hard to catch - the reward is greater than the risk. Paying athletes may help some but then you are simply adding additional benefits to the stipend.

I have heard a lot about allowing individual athletes to be able to monetarily benefit from their name - ie jersey sales, autographs etc. This is ridiculous. School is x is going to tell recruit y that if you sign with us we are going to produce 100 jerseys with your name on it and we have arranged for our boosters to buy them all at $100 a piece. Same goes with autographs.

Finally for some recruits - the number is growing - street cred equates to the amount of money you can get for signing with a school. Eventually rivals may as well get rid of stars and start estimating how much cash it would take to sign an athlete. Is the recruit >100K, 50-100K, 10-50K, etc ... eventually we would all be freaking out that we offered a kid that was rated as "Culver's gift card"

Last edited:
I can't vouch for the validity of the OPs article.

I question the validity when they used the comparison of yelp as needing to get the word out because all the kids talk. I'm sorry but if you were passing out $500 to all these kids so they can get the word out to other recruits that would be public knowledge on social media within 19 seconds. Made me question the entire article.

I know they are just kids - but I think there needs to be stiffer penalties for the kids that accept these illegal benefits. They and their families know the rules.

If found guilty of accepting illegal payments their scholarship is null and void and the minimal fine is equal to the tuition/room/board they received while in college. If they have since moved on since the incident then that might by yearly tuition/room/board x 4-5 years. The NBA and NFL could assist with this by partnering with the NCAA and making stiff penalties that apply to the athletes professional playing time - large salary hit and suspension.

The fact of the matter is that it is extremely hard to catch - the reward is greater than the risk. Paying athletes may help some but then you are simply adding additional benefits to the stipend.

I have heard a lot about allowing individual athletes to be able to monetarily benefit from their name - ie jersey sales, autographs etc. This is ridiculous. School is x is going to tell recruit y that if you sign with us we are going to produce 100 jerseys with your name on it and we have arranged for our boosters to buy them all at $100 a piece. Same goes with autographs.

Finally for some recruits - the number is growing - street cred equates to the amount of money you can get for signing with a school. Eventually rivals may as well get rid of stars and start estimating how much cash it would take to sign an athlete. Is the recruit >100K, 50-100K, 10-50K, etc ... eventually we would all be freaking out that we offered a kid that was rated as "Culver's gift card"
Why would the NBA/NFL want to get involved???? That would be counter productive to their business model.

This is a NCAA issue and it is fairly obvious why they don't do anything.... Their days are numbered....The NCAA is an organization you voluntarily join.

Super conferences are coming with paid players so the NCAA is just playing out the string as long as they can. Enforcing rules will only hasten their demise.

The SEC prays that the NCAA messes with one of their cash cows. They know they have all the leverage.

Is is actually "against the law" for a kid on scholarship to take money that is offered to him? That is not a legal thing, is it?

Correct

Few people look past the bare surface to see what the real implications would be to the game. Absolutely legitimizes programs bidding wars for players. A wealthy Bama Alumn buys 5000 jerseys at $100 each to go to the local Boys Club etc- so 500K gross. Lots of ways to get the kids payed a promised amount before they even sign.

The rich get richer- the poor rarely come up for air.

This workers of the world unite thing against the evils of College Football could be the killing of the goose who laid the golden eggs.

Reactions: jlb321
Why would the NBA/NFL want to get involved???? That would be counter productive to their business model.

This is a NCAA issue and it is fairly obvious why they don't do anything.... Their days are numbered....The NCAA is an organization you voluntarily join.

Super conferences are coming with paid players so the NCAA is just playing out the string as long as they can. Enforcing rules will only hasten their demise.

The SEC prays that the NCAA messes with one of their cash cows. They know they have all the leverage.

you are correct, admittedly it is pie in the sky .. no easy answers

The NCAA is never going to crack down on illegal recruiting activity in a substantial way. It's bad for business.

We're living in an era where some of the most valued entertainment is being provided to us by kids who are willing to do it for school scholarships, fancy locker rooms, and the occasional bag man payment. This is absolutely nothing compared to the kind of money they're bringing in for everyone else. This is a bubble that will eventually burst. The people who are profiting don't want to shake up the system so long as the people watching the games are satisfied enough that everything is being run properly.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Knowing your sarcasm, do you really want to lump us in that group. Yes, there have $100 handshakes in every college across America but the SEC is horrendous when it comes to this.
No, I'm not lumping us in THEIR level, and it is a totally different time now. I hate the dirty bastards, but do you really blame them?
I mean, it's clear the NCAA has no interest in legit punishments.

Good thing we have the moral high ground, and Nebraska never did stuff like this.

Back when I was going to school and for maybe a decade after I had plenty of player friends, friends in the media, and in the athletic department. They all knew of "green handshakes" or "lettuce handshakes" (shows how long ago that was). The thing is that the school actively discouraged it and nailed people who did it. I know of a friend's uncle (grandfather? Like I said, it's been a while) who was banned from any participation in the organizations he was big in, like the Beef Club and the Rebounders Club, and lost his sweet tickets for 5 years when he was caught giving a green handshake. One can argue that he should have been banned permanently or the like, but NU was serious about keeping things as clean as possible. They were definitely not 100% successful, but thy made a strong effort.

Back when I was going to school and for maybe a decade after I had plenty of player friends, friends in the media, and in the athletic department. They all knew of "green handshakes" or "lettuce handshakes" (shows how long ago that was). The thing is that the school actively discouraged it and nailed people who did it. I know of a friend's uncle (grandfather? Like I said, it's been a while) who was banned from any participation in the organizations he was big in, like the Beef Club and the Rebounders Club, and lost his sweet tickets for 5 years when he was caught giving a green handshake. One can argue that he should have been banned permanently or the like, but NU was serious about keeping things as clean as possible. They were definitely not 100% successful, but thy made a strong effort.

Yep
Hire an NU football player and see how serious they are about making sure everything is on the up and up. I did this with Judd Davies one summer during his Jr year. Had to jump through a few hoops- my VP OPS was a UNL alumn.

Cash is so last year. Get those kids a bitcoin wallet, run payments through a laundry service and let the good times roll.

Agree. Out of all the valid reasons to pay athletes, "it will reduce illegal recruiting/payments" is completely laughable.

I have assumed for some time - there are payments being made. My issue with the SEC and a few other southern schools (Texas, Miami, FSU, Clemson...) is the level of success on recruiting can't be achieved without significant financial help. It makes no logical sense for the best kids to keep going to a loaded roster unless they are getting greased.
The response from one of the coaches was 80% of the SEC cheats, 20% of everyone else cheats - is probably about right. BUT - SEC is competing for alot of the same players so the amount of money involved for the SEC is higher on a per kid basis (what it takes to land a recruit). I don't mind the kid getting paid to be honest. I dislike how it skews the balance of power to the schools willing to pay the graft (and do whatever it takes to keep a lid on it).
NCAA is a complete joke - but I don't see Alabama and Texas putting anything in place that actually would police what they do any better. It is going to take outside intervention - like what we saw the Feds do with basketball/shoe companies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT