ADVERTISEMENT

Bad sign

If Nebraska gets Fidone and Bollers losing the Johnson kid will sting less for me. Johnson seems a little butt hurt about his brothers not getting a look from Nebraska. Wish him the best.

Other than some short term bragging rights verbal commits mean very little and I’ll be happy if Nebraska is again in the top 20 in recruiting come early December.

I do agree that a continued trend of losing seasons and missing bowl games will eventually lead to a decrease in recruiting ranking.

We would have had better odds beating them going into Overtime instead of punting to them..

I agree with Pennsy on this.. He should have never went out of bounds and stopped the clock..
Totally, and Jhollenbeck agrees with this... his point wasn’t defending AM for running out of bounds... Pennsy said if he stayed in bounds we win the game. That’s not true. We still needed to score. We still could have lost in overtime.

Now, by running out of bounds it gave Iowa tome to win in regulation, sure. But the point is AM staying in bounds doesn’t automatically win us the game, as Pennsy stated.

Totally, and Jhollenbeck agrees with this... his point wasn’t defending AM for running out of bounds... Pennsy said if he stayed in bounds we win the game. That’s not true. We still needed to score. We still could have lost in overtime.

Now, by running out of bounds it gave Iowa tome to win in regulation, sure. But the point is AM staying in bounds doesn’t automatically win us the game, as Pennsy stated.
The Iowa game was a good example of the need for improvement from a coaching standpoint. And it wasn't just that play.

The Iowa game was a good example of the need for improvement from a coaching standpoint. And it wasn't just that play.
Again, I’m not disagreeing. We could have won that game with better coaching. The loss didn’t come down to that one play. And a victory wasn’t guaranteed if that one play ended differently. That’s all.

Again, I’m not disagreeing. We could have won that game with better coaching. The loss didn’t come down to that one play. And a victory wasn’t guaranteed if that one play ended differently. That’s all.
Agree.

I keep hearing the shine is off, last year it was, where's all the cruits?
This kid does not trend, doesnt and is leading or part of a trend.
There's history with Clesters boys, not good with Nebraska.

This is the youngest most impressionable one. Maybe it wasn't reciprocal for the two olders kids, they wanted Nebraska,but Nebraska wasn't offering back.
Just something to think about that this may be more isolated than part of a trend.

The westside kid? Who knows?

It sure was nice seeing a true frosh throwing the ball away out of bounds. Don't remember the last time that happened before that.
Yep, coach em up, but don't get a flag trying to make the plays for em.

How the 2019 and 2020 classes turn out will determine frost's fate. I'm cautiously hopeful at this point.
So winning by 2022 or 2023 Is good enough? Maybe so but that is an incredibly low bar, even for a hometown hero. Obviously the 2020 and 2021 schedules are really tough. I can’t see either year with much more than a .500 record. While the difficult schedules will provide some cover, four years with a sub-.500 record has to put any coach on the hot seat. (Of course, Covid 19 may still have a voice in the 2020 season even happening.)

If Nebraska gets Fidone and Bollers losing the Johnson kid will sting less for me. Johnson seems a little butt hurt about his brothers not getting a look from Nebraska. Wish him the best.

Other than some short term bragging rights verbal commits mean very little and I’ll be happy if Nebraska is again in the top 20 in recruiting come early December.

I do agree that a continued trend of losing seasons and missing bowl games will eventually lead to a decrease in recruiting ranking.

Don't count on Bollers coming. The only shot of that happening is if Wisconsin and its staff implodes this coming year and I don't see that happening. Keep an eye on the Noel kid, he fits our system better as a wideout. He's down to us and Iowa State.

I keep hearing the shine is off, last year it was, where's all the cruits?
This kid does not trend, doesnt and is leading or part of a trend.
There's history with Clesters boys, not good with Nebraska.

This is the youngest most impressionable one. Maybe it wasn't reciprocal for the two olders kids, they wanted Nebraska,but Nebraska wasn't offering back.
Just something to think about that this may be more isolated than part of a trend.

The westside kid? Who knows?

What happened with the other two brothers? When did they play and where did they end up going? I don't recall ever hearing about them.

What happened with the other two brothers? When did they play and where did they end up going? I don't recall ever hearing about them.
One is at,or was at wyoming if I remember right, the other at sodak?
I never saw offers to them, and heard a slip on it. That it could be a thing.

Reactions: CatColumbia

Who knows if we win in overtime. Iowa had a better kicker and we were not a good red zone offense. Where we lost that game was on the phantom crack back block called on Mike Williams.

I know this late into the thread and does not apply to Johnson (or his family) but I think it needs to be said that Omaha is not the city it used to be. Is the city still filled with die-hards? No question. But many non-native Nebraskans have moved here because of big corporations, wanting to be closer to non-immediate family, placing their kids Omaha's public or private school systems and raising their kids on Midwestern values. The metro area is about at 1 million and it's only going to keep growing. Elkhorn and Gretna are booming with housing right now. A good amount of work buildings in town are loaded with a third of their staff from out of state. Plenty of these recruits in the Big O have parents that are out-of-staters. Not trying to create or provide an excuse that we've missed on Dickerson and Johnson--and it is a bummer since we locked down the state's recruits the past couple of years, but the pull to NU is not as strong to these younger classes for several different reasons, nevermind the key fact that we have been average at best the past few years.

Also, I'm also really hoping our next football game is in Lincoln and not Ireland.

Here
https://www.omaha.com/sports/colleg...cle_e9affaa7-a2dd-5f25-9f7b-ecb73abbb478.html
Johnson is glad to see Scott Frost’s staff put more emphasis on local recruiting than his recent predecessors did.

“You have to go out and get the best around the country,” Johnson said at Thursday’s Big Red Today Breakfast, sponsored by The World-Herald and Hy-Vee. “But the foundation is here, and it always should have been here.”

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
We would have had better odds beating them going into Overtime instead of punting to them..

I agree with Pennsy on this.. He should have never went out of bounds and stopped the clock..
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that, I have no idea. It's the concept that Pennsy is acting like Frost told Adrian to basically screw everything up on purpose because Frost didn't know how to handle the situation. Like come on, act like you were in on that conversation at all. Plenty of times last season, Adrian made the wrong decision because HE MADE THE WRONG DECISION. Frost blew up on him on the sidelines for it, once at Purdue and the other against Wisconsin.

It is absolutely mindblowing to me that people think Power 5 football coaches don't know their situational football.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
So winning by 2022 or 2023 Is good enough? Maybe so but that is an incredibly low bar, even for a hometown hero. Obviously the 2020 and 2021 schedules are really tough. I can’t see either year with much more than a .500 record. While the difficult schedules will provide some cover, four years with a sub-.500 record has to put any coach on the hot seat. (Of course, Covid 19 may still have a voice in the 2020 season even happening.)

2021, I would say. We should be seeing the 2019 class contributing a lot this year and then be the majority of the starters in 21. Need these guys to produce.

Wandale
Benhart
Henrich
NPG
Ty Rob
Keem
Luke Mac
Hickman
Rahmir
Farmer
Newsome
Nelson
J. Wright
Banks
Piper
Vokolek

So Nebraska loses two marquee recruits out of Omaha in the past month. I guess Scott Frost isn’t the recruiter many think he is. This is a really, really bad sign. It says kids in Nebraska don’t believe in the Scott Frost pixie dust of excuses and false bravado. They prefer to commit to coaches who don’t throw players under the bus to cover up for their own coaching mistakes.
When you take kids from Iowa, Iowa coaches will take kids from Nebraska; therefore. playing with fire, will only burn your ass each time.

There have been several games where improved coaching...”clock management” in the 4th quarter equates to a couple more victories. Adjusting to in game situations with a team that is desperate for much needed victories is vital to help jump start your new program. Winking

Reactions: bigboxes
There have been several games where improved coaching...”clock management” in the 4th quarter equates to a couple more victories. Adjusting to in game situations with a team that is desperate for much needed victories is vital to help jump start your new program. Winking
Thanks Tommie.

Maybe like this?
iowa_welcome_sign.jpg

Reactions: Bugeater
It's a sign that three kids wanted to go somewhere else. Period.
just wanted to remind you of what a famed poster here recently said:
It’s called reading between the lines.

It's like what they call a financial leak. A dollar here, a dollar there, another one over there, and pretty soon, it all adds up.

What it does tell me, is that the next generation of fans, aren't 'locked' up at all.

In just 10 years from now, there will be another big chunk of the old fan base gone.

And who is that going to be replaced by?

Kids today know nothing of playing football in the back yard listening to lyle bremser count down all the yards to the tune of touchdowns on Saturday afternoons.

We were flipping AWESOME back then. And that built fans. The last 20 years, not so much.

Last edited:
just wanted to remind you of what a famed poster here recently said:

It's like what they call a financial leak. A dollar here, a dollar there, another one over there, and pretty soon, it all adds up.

What it does tell me, is that the next generation of fans, aren't 'locked' up at all.

In just 10 years from now, there will be another big chunk of the old fan base gone.

And who is that going to be replaced by?

Kids today know nothing of playing football in the back yard listening to lyle bremser on dad's radio count down all the yards sticks to the tune of touchdowns on Saturday afternoons.

We were flipping AWESOME back then. And that built fans. The last 20 years, not so much.
We frequently disagree, mostly about the QB and coach, but this is well said. Kudos.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that, I have no idea. It's the concept that Pennsy is acting like Frost told Adrian to basically screw everything up on purpose because Frost didn't know how to handle the situation. Like come on, act like you were in on that conversation at all. Plenty of times last season, Adrian made the wrong decision because HE MADE THE WRONG DECISION. Frost blew up on him on the sidelines for it, once at Purdue and the other against Wisconsin.
It is absolutely mindblowing to me that people think Power 5 football coaches don't know their situational football.

Of course Frost understands situational football. Never said he didn’t. What I am claiming is that he may not be a great in-game communicator with his players and might not be in total command of the game at all times as he should be. Like the game we had been pooch kicking the entire time, but our special teams coach decided to kick it to their ace return dude instead ... while Frost was “distracted” talking to his offense. A good in-game coach gets on his headset before that kick to remind everyone to pooch kick.

And if Adrian is such a head strong kid who can't follow proper coaching and ends up costing the team a much needed victory, then maybe you should sit his ass on the bench until he decides maybe he should listen to the coach. That too is a coaching decision. It is very clear that AMart is "Frost's guy" but at some point that coach needs to bite the bullet and sit the kid. I remember one game where Steve Taylor, who was a very streaky QB was benched by Osborne after several series in a row of bad decisions. He came back out two series later and lit the house on fire. Good coaches will sometimes sit their QB for one series just to get his head back in the game. When did AMart ever pay a price last year for all of his bad decisions?

And no... I was not privy to the confab between Frost and AMart on that last drive against Iowa. But I don't have to have been there in order to criticize the result. Either Frost blew it or AMart did. But no matter who, it is ultimately on Frost's watch. If his QB sucks that is on Frost - - especially since the dude under center could have been Burrow. But hey "We have our guy:" Yes, and he stank the place up last year coach.

If there is a season, don't get your expectation too high again. Most of our talent is in underclassmen. Starting in 2021 we will look like a football team again. 12 kids from the 2018 are already gone, Frost came in December and had to take some chances on kids so he didn't actually start recruiting until 2019. It's gonna take a little time

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
If there is a season, don't get your expectation too high again. Most of our talent is in underclassmen. Starting in 2021 we will look like a football team again. 12 kids from the 2018 are already gone, Frost came in December and had to take some chances on kids so he didn't actually start recruiting until 2019. It's gonna take a little time
valid points, but he also turned the roster over quickly.. forcing guys out and taking lots of others as greyshirts and walk-ons and full classes too.

valid points, but he also turned the roster over quickly.. forcing guys out and taking lots of others as greyshirts and walk-ons and full classes too.

I like getting walk-ons but that isn't the same thing as a scholly player. Any kid can get recruited much easier than in the past with all the camps, Hudl etc. Again, he took chances and some kids didn't work out. We will have the o-line to go with the skill players in 21' and beyond. It will come. Just need the defense to come along with

I like getting walk-ons but that isn't the same thing as a scholly player. Any kid can get recruited much easier than in the past with all the camps, Hudl etc. Again, he took chances and some kids didn't work out. We will have the o-line to go with the skill players in 21' and beyond. It will come. Just need the defense to come along with
I should have worded it differently, but he took full scholarship classes, the max allowed as well as greyshirts and inflated the walk-on program too. He really did turn the roster over, and while the recruiting has been decent, some of the shine is wearing off, and he needs to start producing. Wandale is a good example of what has gone right. But a lot of other things haven't.

Of course Frost understands situational football. Never said he didn’t. What I am claiming is that he may not be a great in-game communicator with his players and might not be in total command of the game at all times as he should be. Like the game we had been pooch kicking the entire time, but our special teams coach decided to kick it to their ace return dude instead ... while Frost was “distracted” talking to his offense. A good in-game coach gets on his headset before that kick to remind everyone to pooch kick.

And if Adrian is such a head strong kid who can't follow proper coaching and ends up costing the team a much needed victory, then maybe you should sit his ass on the bench until he decides maybe he should listen to the coach. That too is a coaching decision. It is very clear that AMart is "Frost's guy" but at some point that coach needs to bite the bullet and sit the kid. I remember one game where Steve Taylor, who was a very streaky QB was benched by Osborne after several series in a row of bad decisions. He came back out two series later and lit the house on fire. Good coaches will sometimes sit their QB for one series just to get his head back in the game. When did AMart ever pay a price last year for all of his bad decisions?

And no... I was not privy to the confab between Frost and AMart on that last drive against Iowa. But I don't have to have been there in order to criticize the result. Either Frost blew it or AMart did. But no matter who, it is ultimately on Frost's watch. If his QB sucks that is on Frost - - especially since the dude under center could have been Burrow. But hey "We have our guy:" Yes, and he stank the place up last year coach.
1. Realistically probably one of the reasons DeWitt got fired. I do think at this point think Frost should have a little more of a hand in the defense, since he played defense in the NFL, but at the end of the day that's why you're supposed to have good assistants and coordinators to take care of that.

2. I agree with you. I thought he should have been benched against Purdue and I thought Luke should have finished Iowa. But if Luke burns his R/S, then the Husker world burns down because he didn't manage that one correctly then either. Who you gonna put in then? Vedral? The same dude that Minnesota made look like a high school QB? Sure, I'm sure that goes really well when he doesn't win either.

3. Enough with the Burrow shit. Having him under center doesn't automatically make our receivers 6'5" and All-Americans. Those guys still transferred and went to lesser schools, can't get around that. You name one rational person on this board who thought we should have given someone else a chance under center after 2018 and I'll find a way to pay you a fat ass check someday cause the guy was a dark horse Heisman contender going into 2019? And what did Burrow do against UCF in that bowl game? Oh yeah, barely beat them and didn't look even close to what he did in 2019. Hindsight is 20/20. Burrow was never a Cornhusker, get over it.

1. Realistically probably one of the reasons DeWitt got fired. I do think at this point think Frost should have a little more of a hand in the defense, since he played defense in the NFL, but at the end of the day that's why you're supposed to have good assistants and coordinators to take care of that.

2. I agree with you. I thought he should have been benched against Purdue and I thought Luke should have finished Iowa. But if Luke burns his R/S, then the Husker world burns down because he didn't manage that one correctly then either. Who you gonna put in then? Vedral? The same dude that Minnesota made look like a high school QB? Sure, I'm sure that goes really well when he doesn't win either.

3. Enough with the Burrow shit. Having him under center doesn't automatically make our receivers 6'5" and All-Americans. Those guys still transferred and went to lesser schools, can't get around that. You name one rational person on this board who thought we should have given someone else a chance under center after 2018 and I'll find a way to pay you a fat ass check someday cause the guy was a dark horse Heisman contender going into 2019? And what did Burrow do against UCF in that bowl game? Oh yeah, barely beat them and didn't look even close to what he did in 2019. Hindsight is 20/20. Burrow was never a Cornhusker, get over it.

This... His receivers are 1st rounders, his TE went as a free agent, but should have been drafted, his RB went in the first round, and add that to he has elite lineman and a good D. Burrow would have been good at NU, but we still probably lose 4-5 games and he is a nobody. It worked out for Joe, and he is probably damn lucky he went to LSU vs. NU for his pocketbook.

I also think he needs to improve as an in-game coach. His teams play undisciplined football. Indeed, they play outright stupid football sometimes

Yeah, the Burrow comment was gratuitous and stupid. I don’t really give a shit that he didn’t come here. Just pointing out that Frost had options at QB but he has put all of his eggs in the AMart basket. And in 2018 it looked promising. But last year AMart regressed and Frost kept playing him. We really needed a better season last year. We needed to go bowling. So if burning Luke’s redshirt would have been the difference then he should have. I get that Frost is trying to build for the future. But at some point you need to play the QB who gives you the best shot at winning right now. People say Luke needs work on his passing. But heck, so does AMart.

Anyway... I am not out to get Frost. I want him kept here for a long, long time. But last year was an eye opener for me. I saw a young head coach who still has some things to learn.

But now we are way off the OP. In that regard, I am not that broken up about losing these two particular guys. But we DID offer them both so I am not going to play the “we didn’t want them anyway” card. We did want them. And they are Nebraska kids. Maybe it is a trend, which would be worrisome, which is why I raised the point for discussion. Or maybe it doesn’t mean jack shit.

Reactions: bigboxes
2021, I would say. We should be seeing the 2019 class contributing a lot this year and then be the majority of the starters in 21. Need these guys to produce.

Wandale
Benhart
Henrich
NPG
Ty Rob
Keem
Luke Mac
Hickman
Rahmir
Farmer
Newsome
Nelson
J. Wright
Banks
Piper
Vokolek
Oops, I was going to add a few, but you got em!

I also think he needs to improve as an in-game coach. His teams play undisciplined football. Indeed, they play outright stupid football sometimes

Yeah, the Burrow comment was gratuitous and stupid. I don’t really give a shit that he didn’t come here. Just pointing out that Frost had options at QB but he has put all of his eggs in the AMart basket. And in 2018 it looked promising. But last year AMart regressed and Frost kept playing him. We really needed a better season last year. We needed to go bowling. So if burning Luke’s redshirt would have been the difference then he should have. I get that Frost is trying to build for the future. But at some point you need to play the QB who gives you the best shot at winning right now. People say Luke needs work on his passing. But heck, so does AMart.

Anyway... I am not out to get Frost. I want him kept here for a long, long time. But last year was an eye opener for me. I saw a young head coach who still has some things to learn.

But now we are way off the OP. In that regard, I am not that broken up about losing these two particular guys. But we DID offer them both so I am not going to play the “we didn’t want them anyway” card. We did want them. And they are Nebraska kids. Maybe it is a trend, which would be worrisome, which is why I raised the point for discussion. Or maybe it doesn’t mean jack shit.

I have seen all of last years B10 games 3x...Frost did have many questionable play calls and some games AM was complete cheeks and we kept him in. I also think there was not a lot of talent overall on the field like some think.

*I can't stress enough how important the hire of Lubick is for this offense*

People seem to disagree with me, but from the film Barry, Bootle, Dismuke, Honas, Davis, and Miller were not good football players for us last year. I really hope Chin makes an effort to play younger kids this season on defense.

I have seen all of last years B10 games 3x...Frost did have many questionable play calls and some games AM was complete cheeks and we kept him in. I also think there was not a lot of talent overall on the field like some think.

*I can't stress enough how important the hire of Lubick is for this offense*

People seem to disagree with me, but from the film Barry, Bootle, Dismuke, Honas, Davis, and Miller were not good football players for us last year. I really hope Chin makes an effort to play younger kids this season on defense.
You watched every one of our big ten games 3 times? You deserve a medal, some of those were hard to watch once.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT