ADVERTISEMENT

Back to the Big 12?

My daughter's grandfather, an incessant and certifiably insane doomsday prepper, told me prior to 2012 that even if the world didn't end prior to the conclusion of the Mayan calendar that the world as "we knew it" would end in the near future. The man prepped for Y2K, prepped for 2012, is prepping for the world after a vaccine is presented, and will likely be either prepped or deeply invested in a series of "I told you so's" for the next issue that shapes our world.

This brings me to my only points, Nebraska should explore all options in 2020 and if that means that our world as we know it ends and the team ends up playing in the Big XII they should do so.
It is ridiculous to even consider a move right now but in an era where athletic departments are hemorrhaging red ink and revenue streams are turning into revenue trickles, moving to another conference that would guarantee diminished future revenue is insanity. Not to mention the $50 million or more that Nebraska would be required to pay the B10 just to leave the conference.
FY2019 Total Revenue per P5 Conference:
Big Ten: $781.5M
SEC: $721.2M
PAC12: $530.4M
ACC: $455.4M
Big12: $439.0M
Even if Moos somehow thought that a move from the B10 to the B12 was a good idea, he would be laughed out of the president's office within minutes.

Last edited:
nu2u, This rumor if it only happened would be for the 2020 season..

Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio St and Penn St aren’t going anywhere..

Reactions: hedonistimpulse

The conference won't allow member schools to go rogue. I thought that was generally understood.

If So, When do we here about the Next New schedule. Bring back the OU /Nu Game. Let’s get back to our roots Big 16 bubble Here we come. The South will Rise Again. Only this time were the good guys. Only Alphas play in Lincoln. If our troops can take the beaches at Normandy. (God Bless each and everyone of them) We Sure as hell can pop a few HCQ and zinc pills and face up to this Pandemic mono to mono. After all A vaccine may never happen , let’s do this!

The Conference owns Nebraska athletics, the Conference wouldn’t allow such a thing to happen.
unfortunately, this is correct.

the prior president of NU was such an idiot.. he got us into a horrible contract, with little recourse or way out. In that sense, Delany took it to us big time.

I will forever hate this conference.

someone drew up divisions already:

North
West Virginia
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska

South
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Iowa State
Baylor

Reactions: husker2612
someone drew up divisions already:
OIP.eCut4WM3s0kr0QoAklVLewHaIN

Reactions: SomedayHusker
It is ridiculous to even consider a move right now but in an era where athletic departments are hemorrhaging red ink and revenue streams are turning into revenue trickles, moving to another conference that would guarantee diminished future revenue is insanity. Not to mention the $50 million or more that Nebraska would be required to pay the B10 just to leave the conference.
FY2019 Total Revenue per P5 Conference:
Big Ten: $781.5M
SEC: $721.2M
PAC12: $530.4M
ACC: $455.4M
Big12: $439.0M
Even if Moos somehow thought that a move from the B10 to the B12 was a good idea, he would be laughed out of the president's office within minutes.

Cool your jets... this game gets played whenever a wrench is thrown into the works. Nothing ever comes of it.

Although this is likely fantasy, why would anyone put West Virginia in the North and Iowa State in the South?
West Virginia makes sense.

Iowa State in the South seems like an effort to keep Kansas and Kansas State together.

While it’s good, I want to see us play, I don’t want to be the whipping boy. Could you imagine playing those 3 schools + OU?

We were already playing tOSU and PSU in the B1G-only schedule. We'd add UM while dropping Wiscy, which is a reasonable tradeoff. OU easily outclasses any other B1G team we might have played, but damn it'd be fun to play that schedule this season.

Too bad it's only a (crack) pipe dream.

the gist of some tweets coming out of Ohio State camps are they want to play and feel above the conference and won't let someone like Purdue or Indiana dictate if they can play a football season type thing. You could see how this could lead to some infighting within the B1G.

I too doubt anything becomes of this, but can you imagine just how weak the B1G would get if something happened where big marquee programs left the conference, if even for a season. Suddenly things don't seem quite so stable in the Big Ten.

the gist of some tweets coming out of Ohio State camps are they want to play and feel above the conference and won't let someone like Purdue or Indiana dictate if they can play a football season type thing. You could see how this could lead to some infighting within the B1G.

I too doubt anything becomes of this, but can you imagine just how weak the B1G would get if something happened where big marquee programs left the conference, if even for a season. Suddenly things don't seem quite so stable in the Big Ten.
The conferences need the Blue Bloods. The individual teams have more pull than the conference want to admit. Imagine teams like Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St and Nebraska saying if you don't let us play we are going to leave and create our own conf. These 4 leave and the BIG10 instantly becomes equal to the AAC. Now honestly I have no idea if legally this is possible, maybe due to contracts and such it isn't.

Reactions: bshirt73

What would be the benefit?? The BIG owns the media rights with member schools and is certain to demand it gets its share. The Big 12 will want their cut. Lots of people smoking funny stuff on here.

What would be the benefit?? The BIG owns the media rights with member schools and is certain to demand it gets its share. The Big 12 will want their cut. Lots of people smoking funny stuff on here.
I believe the TV rights are only for home games.

Reactions: scarletred

skippy joining in the fun
I don't doubt some of this was going on.

When it's your school looking at the big massive budget deficit and either a conference or series of other schools voting against you, that is how realignment can happen.. remember that is partially what got us here in the first place.

I would like to see Bill take the opportunity and run with it, jump out while you have the cover to do it.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
This has obviously been a crazy year so far. I would not put something like this in the “too far fetched” column. These are the Big 10 schools with the largest most passionate fan bases and highest TV revenue generators. I like that they are possibly getting creative beyond the pussy Big 10 to play football.

As far as contracts go. I would hope there is language in there about unforeseen circumstances. I mean if the Big 10 wants to cancel the season...they’re tearing up the contract right then and there in my opinion.

I don't doubt some of this was going on.

When it's your school looking at the big massive budget deficit and either a conference or series of other schools voting against you, that is how realignment can happen.. remember that is partially what got us here in the first place.

I would like to see Bill take the opportunity and run with it, jump out while you have the cover to do it.
If Moos doesn’t take the opportunity to jump will he forever be in your doghouse too?

Why would the B12 want to throw any sort of lifeline to Nebraska (who bolted as fast they could when things got rough)? Unless they get to keep a majority of the money, can't see why they would entertain the Huskers playing there temporarily.

And more likely, if B1G and PAC 12 bag their fall season, most other conferences will likely follow suit.

Psu, osu, and mich voted not to play so this scenario doesnt make sense. Unless the AD's aren't on the same page as university presidents.

Psu, osu, and mich voted not to play so this scenario doesnt make sense. Unless the AD's aren't on the same page as university presidents.

Right people keep acting like Warren dictated this and the schools will go their own way. There's probably some chance of that but the big roadblock for these school ADs are their own bosses.

It would be another thing altogether if the presidents wanted to play but Warren shut it down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT