ADVERTISEMENT

Baby Driver

I was the opposite with Baby Driver. It looked really good and then after I saw it, I only kind of liked it. Good action movie that borrowed a lot from a much better movie IMO Drive. It had lots of cool actors that were pretty good. The big thing I disliked was the endless amount of cliche scenes, and giant plot holes that made very little sense. I gave it a thumbs up, but just barely. It certainly was better than going to another superhero/comic book movie.

*one other note. Perhaps one of the biggest distractions I had was the somewhat new phenomenon in movies lately where they must include some popular hit classic song with EVERY scene. I made it fifteen minutes into Suicide Squad before I flipped the channel because of the giant crutch they were using to help drive their plot. I read the director of Baby Driver even made sure to coordinate with Guardians so they didn't use the same music as the sequel coming out. They even coincidentally had a similar major plot point. Weak. See Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction for use of music to set a scene properly. You will never hear Stuck In The Middle With You without thinking of Reservoir Dogs after watching that scene with it.

Last edited:
I was the opposite with Baby Driver. It looked really good and then after I saw it, I only kind of liked it. Good action movie that borrowed a lot from a much better movie IMO Drive. It had lots of cool actors that were pretty good. The big thing I disliked was the endless amount of cliche scenes, and giant plot holes that made very little sense. I gave it a thumbs up, but just barely. It certainly was better than going to another superhero/comic book movie.

*one other note. Perhaps one of the biggest distractions I had was the somewhat new phenomenon in movies lately where they must include some popular hit classic song with EVERY scene. I made it fifteen minutes into Suicide Squad before I flipped the channel because of the giant crutch they were using to help drive their plot. I read the director of Baby Driver even made sure to coordinate with Guardians so they didn't use the same music as the sequel coming out. They even coincidentally had a similar major plot point. Weak. See Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction for use of music to set a scene properly. You will never hear Stuck In The Middle With You without thinking of Reservoir Dogs after watching that scene with it.

But Guardians 2 was really good. Other than that, love your points. Haven't seen Baby Driver so I don't have an opinion on that.

Couldn't have said it better. I was excited to see Baby Driver, and it was OK, but still sorta flimsy. Not a really memorable movie to me. I would probably give it a thumbs up too, but would give it maybe a 75%.

Who I think is the absolute best at putting great songs with scenes...Wes Anderson.

"Rushmore" revenge montage. The Who's "You Are Forgiven." Notice how after Bill Murray runs over the kid's bike, he ties the cable back together after he puts it back in the bike rack. And the next scene Max is riding a female bike.. Laughing

Last edited:
Reactions: resdog851
And...The Stones' "2000 Man" in Bottle Rocket. Notice how the cops yell "Freeze!" when he gets in the freezer.. :D

Reactions: resdog851
Saw Dunkirk yesterday, not great. Heard Saving Private Ryan comparisons, not even close to SpR, rental at best

And...The Stones' "2000 Man" in Bottle Rocket. Notice how the cops yell "Freeze!" when he gets in the freezer.. :D

This is quickly becoming a movie nerd thread. Sorry to the OP if I am getting off track some. Tarantino wrote two young couple on the run movies that was sort of his take on the Charles Starkweather murder spree. Natural Born Killers is pretty spot on with the actual case in many ways. True Romance was less killer and more romance. It was directed by Tony Scott, but I suspect Tarantino had something to do with the soundtrack and music in scenes. The opening scene has the EXACT same song that the movie Badlands used in for their opening scene in 1973. It was the Martin Sheen/Sissy Spacek fictional movie about Starkweather.

This is quickly becoming a movie nerd thread. Sorry to the OP if I am getting off track some. Tarantino wrote two young couple on the run movies that was sort of his take on the Charles Starkweather murder spree. Natural Born Killers is pretty spot on with the actual case in many ways. True Romance was less killer and more romance. It was directed by Tony Scott, but I suspect Tarantino had something to do with the soundtrack and music in scenes. The opening scene has the EXACT same song that the movie Badlands used in for their opening scene in 1973. It was the Martin Sheen/Sissy Spacek fictional movie about Starkweather.

Really liked True Romance...and really hated Natural Born Killers, because of the way it was filmed. I know it was filmed erratically intentionally to intensify the mayhem, but two hours of 2-second clips put together in many of the scenes just wore me out.

Dunkirk was stunning with the camera work and audio but I felt the plot took a hit. Might have to rewatch it. Excited for Baby Driver

Dunkirk was stunning with the camera work and audio but I felt the plot took a hit. Might have to rewatch it. Excited for Baby Driver

I just saw Dunkirk, and my only complaint would be that Christopher Nolan appears to always want a backing track during the entirety of his movies. At least with the Inception and the Batman flicks. I find it distracting at times. I actually wasn't aware that this was a Christopher Nolan flick, but about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through the movie, I started saying to myself "This has to be a Christopher Nolan flick."

It would probably be one of my few criticisms of his work. Inception sometimes got bogged down by a bloated concept and script, but entertaining nonetheless. But movies need a break from soundtrack/backing track sometimes, because it definitely sticks out. It made me feel like I was watching a war flick where Batman or Leonardo DiCaprio might show up in his all-white camies at some point. :Cool: But it's definitely still worth the dough to see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeauxBigRed
Baby Driver was over the top corny and did its best to wrap up a cute outcome. Entertaining at times but not a great movie.

It surprised me the critics gave it generally pretty good reviews. I think it scored in the low 90s on Rotten Tomatoes, which surprised me after seeing it.

If you want to see a really good flick, watch "Nightcrawler" on Netflix. It's a little heavy-handed at times, but the end makes it all worth-while. Jake Gyllenhaal does a nice job as a narcissist with a twist of psychosis. And his employee is exceptional! It has the feel of "Drive" but better IMO.

Reactions: Gonzo3705
I just saw Dunkirk, and my only complaint would be that Christopher Nolan appears to always want a backing track during the entirety of his movies. At least with the Inception and the Batman flicks. I find it distracting at times. I actually wasn't aware that this was a Christopher Nolan flick, but about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through the movie, I started saying to myself "This has to be a Christopher Nolan flick."

It would probably be one of my few criticisms of his work. Inception sometimes got bogged down by a bloated concept and script, but entertaining nonetheless. But movies need a break from soundtrack/backing track sometimes, because it definitely sticks out. It made me feel like I was watching a war flick where Batman or Leonardo DiCaprio might show up in his all-white camies at some point. :Cool: But it's definitely still worth the dough to see it.
I can kind of see what you are talking about. There were a couple of times I thought the music was a little overpowering and/or out of place, though not really enough to change my perception of the movie overall. I even thought the music was generally good, just a couple of times didn't work out. I wasn't sure if it was just the way the speakers were tuned in the theatre I was in, as it was generally quite loud in some spots, or if it was the music itself. Seeing you say this makes me think it was the music more than the way the speakers were tuned.

Saw Dunkirk yesterday, not great. Heard Saving Private Ryan comparisons, not even close to SpR, rental at best
First of all, I don't see how anyone could make Saving Private Ryan comparisons. Outside of the obvious fact that they are both WW2 movies, and at least portions of both take place on a beach; there is otherwise little to no comparison. One is focused on a very small group of people doing something inside of the war. While the D-Day invasion is a good part of SPR, in general SPR differs from most WW2 movies; or war movies in general, in that it doesn't really focus on one specific battle. It focuses on what one small group does inside of the war, and one major battle and a few other locations are all part of that. Dunkirk, on the other hand, is meant to focus solely on this one battle, or more accurately, the evacuation. It does focus on some small groups of people, but it jumps around to various viewpoints, to give an over-arching view of the whole thing. Again, other than the fact that they are both WW2 movies, they really aren't very similar at all, and I don't really think it's fair to compare them. I really like SPR, but I also really liked Dunkirk. I can't say I would necessarily favor one over the other, it kind of depends on what kind of movie you are wanting to watch.

As for the other comments, we'll have to agree to disagree. I thought it was very well done, definitely worth the price of admission. If you think you want to see the movie at some point, I wouldn't wait for a rental. Unless you have an absolutely incredible home theater system, I don't think a home viewing will quite do it justice. I would also highly recommend seeing it in IMAX if possible. Some of the movie was shot on IMAX cameras, and Christopher Nolan is probably the best when it comes to using IMAX to great effect in his movies.

I thought Baby Driver was OK. Driver was better and although it is an old movie, FASTER just buries it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT