ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tournament....

Regional Selection Show on right now.

UNO gets UCLA in the first round and Creighton plays Michigan in the Corvallis Regional.

That UCLA regional is loaded, with Baylor and Loyola Marymount also going there.

Huskers get UConn in the Stillwater Regional on Friday.

Conference tournament championship games are a bit of a crap shoot, especially when it's a win-or-the-season's-over game for one team and not the other.
Conspiracy to make the B1G a 5-bid league this season? Winking

OSU's pitcher humping it up there at 94 and with good off speed stuff at 74 I'm sure had NOTHING to do with how poorly we hit yesterday. The kid had a great arm and the umpire helped him out on numerous occasions. Our batters had no idea what was a strike and what wasn't with the clown behind the plate. He often gave them 4 inches outside and 2 to 3 inches inside. Sometimes they got pitches above the belt and below the knees and sometimes we did too after about the 1st inning. I don't know if the guy had a plane to catch or what but he wasn't interested in seeing as many base runners on walks as there should have been. OSU had 2 very good pitchers on their staff and we got them best yesterday. IF you have guys throwing 94 with a low 70s curve ball like they did and they give them that wide of a strike zone, it is awfully tough to hit.

Ohio St finished 7th in the conf. How good could their guys be? We aren't a good hitting team. Probably should have scored 15 runs against Michigan Saturday night with a dozen walks, but only got 7.

OSU's pitcher humping it up there at 94 and with good off speed stuff at 74 I'm sure had NOTHING to do with how poorly we hit yesterday. The kid had a great arm and the umpire helped him out on numerous occasions. Our batters had no idea what was a strike and what wasn't with the clown behind the plate. He often gave them 4 inches outside and 2 to 3 inches inside. Sometimes they got pitches above the belt and below the knees and sometimes we did too after about the 1st inning. I don't know if the guy had a plane to catch or what but he wasn't interested in seeing as many base runners on walks as there should have been. OSU had 2 very good pitchers on their staff and we got them best yesterday. IF you have guys throwing 94 with a low 70s curve ball like they did and they give them that wide of a strike zone, it is awfully tough to hit.

I guess their 'great' pitching is what propelled them to the 12-12 record in the B1G and needing to win the tournament to get an NCAA bid. Let's call it like it is...we were in a funk yesterday and sucked at the plate. The guy behind the plate was equally bad for both teams.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Conference tournament championship games are a bit of a crap shoot, especially when it's a win-or-the-season's-over game for one team and not the other. Huskers were a bit flat, and I wish they had played better on Sunday, but overall it was a very good week. Doesn't erase 7+ years of mediocrity, but you have to start somewhere. Getting a couple of wins in regional play would be another important step forward.

I do have to say that I am pretty excited about the young talent we have on the team going forward. Still not sold on Erstad as a hitting coach, but the talent they are bringing in would appear to be improving.

I do have to say that I am pretty excited about the young talent we have on the team going forward. Still not sold on Erstad as a hitting coach, but the talent they are bringing in would appear to be improving.
My feelings about the program under-performing under Erstad have not changed. But he's clearly not going anywhere, so I'm hopeful that the strong finish to this season is the start of an upward trend. Making some noise in Stillwater would be another big positive. Doesn't mean NU has to win it, but I don't want to see them go out with a whimper.

Last edited:
I guess their 'great' pitching is what propelled them to the 12-12 record in the B1G and needing to win the tournament to get an NCAA bid. Let's call it like it is...we were in a funk yesterday and sucked at the plate. The guy behind the plate was equally bad for both teams.
I haven't watched them at all this year to know why their record was what it was. What I DID do is watch their pitchers yesterday. IF you watch any baseball you should have realized that YESTERDAY both kids were hitting 94 with the fastball with some movement and BOTH kids had decent breaking stuff in the low 70s. As I said, you couple those 2 things with an inconsistent but usually wide strike zone, it gets really tough on hitters. Waldron doesn't have that kind of velocity unfortunately and he struggled. I'll give OSU credit for their pitching yesterday. They kept us guessing. I think we out hit OSU anyway but we just didn't get the timely RBIs.

This team to bring confidence needs to win at least two games in regionals. I do not expect that to happen under Erstad but needs to . And if it does not then a change should strongly be looked at !

This team to bring confidence needs to win at least two games in regionals. I do not expect that to happen under Erstad but needs to . And if it does not then a change should strongly be looked at !

I like our chances with Nate Fisher on Saturday regardless who we will play..

Reactions: yunginsNU2
So how is this statement any different than the "bitching and moaning" you are accusing other people of?

Question Mark!

How's the recruiting? As a BoBot, I had to swallow this pill and so does Erstad. He needs to be bringing in talent, as any staff does, is my point.

Sorry for the confusion schuele. My bad

Reactions: schuele
I haven't watched them at all this year to know why their record was what it was. What I DID do is watch their pitchers yesterday. IF you watch any baseball you should have realized that YESTERDAY both kids were hitting 94 with the fastball with some movement and BOTH kids had decent breaking stuff in the low 70s. As I said, you couple those 2 things with an inconsistent but usually wide strike zone, it gets really tough on hitters. Waldron doesn't have that kind of velocity unfortunately and he struggled. I'll give OSU credit for their pitching yesterday. They kept us guessing. I think we out hit OSU anyway but we just didn't get the timely RBIs.
The home plate umpire was garbage.

Reactions: cubsker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT