ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Schedule Release Impending

If they do what makes sense, our extra game is home against Indiana.

My cynical side is waiting for them to chuck another L our way, it feels like the B1G almost enjoys putting Nebraska in its place after having to look up at the Huskers in the final polls a couple times in the 90s. Beat out Penn St for the NC in 94, split it with Michigan in 97. They got the shaft for weak Rose Bowl matchups with so-so Pac-10 teams while NU dominated the Big 8 and got to play top ranked teams in the Orange Bowl.

Reactions: bshirt73

My cynical side is waiting for them to chuck another L our way, it feels like the B1G almost enjoys putting Nebraska in its place after having to look up at the Huskers in the final polls a couple times in the 90s. Beat out Penn St for the NC in 94, split it with Michigan in 97. They got the shaft for weak Rose Bowl matchups with so-so Pac-10 teams while NU dominated the Big 8 and got to play top ranked teams in the Orange Bowl.
Why Indiana? I would guess Maryland or Michigan. Both Maryland and the Huskers were the sixth-best teams in their respective divisions, so that makes sense from a scheduling parity standpoint. Our last games against MSU and Indiana were both in Lincoln, so I would think they wouldn't want to have that happen. Our last games against Michigan and Maryland were both away, so those seem more likely to me.

Plus, there's no way we can compete with a juggernaut like Indiana, let alone expect to defeat the mighty Hoosiers. Right, Coach Allen?

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I would assume the B1G schedule will be drawn up in an effort to maximize potential TV revenue since everyone is going to feel some pressure this year regarding athletic department finances. That means both who teams play and when they play for the TV audiences.

IF all the B1G games actually take place, I would expect record TV viewership for them. There will be a hunger for sports events after all this virus confinement and the B1G TV market is huge. It also helps viewership when some other conferences won't allow attendance or aren't televised. And some high school and JUCO teams won't be playing until Spring. So less competition for the eyeballs.

Last edited:
I think they end up reworking the schedule however if they just add a game. The only option Nebraska has is Michigan, Maryland, Michigan St or Indian. We currently only have 4 home games so I assume the 5th game would be a home game. We played Indian here last year. We played Maryland here in 2017 and Michigan St here in 2018. The last game with Michigan was @ Michigan in 2018. So a home game would make sense.
I am assuming it is going to be impossible to try and do that with every team. Some teams are going to be forced to play b2b away games against a team.

Only thing that’s for certain is all of our divisional foes will be played early and first. They will want those games played and out of the way. Then it will be the cross over games.

I hope we catch Iowa in game 2. It would be nice to catch them while they are breaking in their new QB and new faces for once. They have had the luxury of playing us hurt, young and inexperienced the last few years. It would be nice for us to get that advantage this year (obviously minus the hurt part).

The extra game will more then likely be Maryland or MSUcks. It won’t be Michigan or Indiana....

Last edited:
Reactions: TFrazier
1620 was saying the Power 5 conferences will have staggered starts:

Week 0: Big 12
Week 1: Big Ten (Labor Day)
Week 2: ACC
Week 3: Pac-12
Week 4: SEC

Only thing that’s for certain is all of our divisional foes will be played early and first. They will want those games played and out of the way. Then it will be the cross over games. I hope we catch Iowa in game 2. It would be nice to catch them while they are breaking in their new QB and new faces.

The extra game will more then likely be Maryland or MSUcks. It won’t be Michigan or Indiana....

Why not Indiana ? Where playing Sparty next year along with Michigan and we already played Maryland there last year.

1620 was saying the Power 5 conferences will have staggered starts:

Week 0: Big 12
Week 1: Big Ten (Labor Day)
Week 2: ACC
Week 3: Pac-12
Week 4: SEC

I love this that way we’re guaranteed college football every weekend..

Last edited:
Oh, I’d love to get another shot at Indiana for revenge, believe that. But we played them in Lincoln last year and our extra game will be a home game. So unless they give Indiana back to back away games against us...then I don’t see it happening. Because we have 5 away games and 4 homes games this year in the BIG 10 conference. Our extra one will have to be a home game to even it out.

I see your point, but the next time they play again in 2022 is also in Lincoln so more than likely they would have to change future schedule’s and that won’t happen..Next time Maryland plays in Lincoln is 2023, and the conference has us playing MSU next year in East Lansing and again in East Lansing in 2023:rolleyes:..

Sparty would be the right choice..

Why not Indiana ? Where playing Sparty next year along with Michigan and we already played Maryland there last year.

Oh, I’d love to get another shot at Indiana for revenge, believe that. But we played them in Lincoln last year and our extra game will be a home game. So unless they give Indiana back to back away games against us...then I don’t see it happening. Because we have 5 away games and 4 homes games this year in the BIG 10 conference. Our extra one will have to be a home game to even it out.

edited....I suppose it is possible. We did play at Michigan back to back games. The last time we played Michigan, it should have been in Lincoln but for some stupid reason they had us playing Michigan at Michigan instead. So they have done that in the past. But the real question is, will they do something like that in our favor for once?

Reactions: scarletred
I see your point, but the next time they play again in 2022 is also in Lincoln so more than likely they would have to change future schedule’s and that won’t happen..Next time Maryland plays in Lincoln is 2023, and the conference has us playing MSU next year in East Lansing and again in East Lansing in 2023:rolleyes:..

Sparty would be the right choice..

I swear, we are the only team that seems to have that happen to. Like I just pointed out, we played Michigan back to back times in Michigan and now it sounds like we are about to do that again with MSU. Very odd

Reactions: dinglefritz
huskerssalts, Nebraska also played in Happy Valley two, consecutive time also..2013 and 2017..

Penn St finally visits Nebraska since 2012..

wow....ok, it’s worse then I realized. Now it’s time to see if they will do it in our favor this time or if its only us that plays back to back away games against the same BIG 10 team?

I was hoping we could start complaining about our schedule and how the Big 10 hates us before the schedule was announced. Might as well start the inevitable!

I was hoping we could start complaining about our schedule and how the Big 10 hates us before the schedule was announced. Might as well start the inevitable!

LOL.. I don’t think getting back to back away games against Michigan and Penn St and having only played them once each in Lincoln since we joined the B1G is complaining..

If there going to do division games first would they use the normal schedule and go down the line of division games..

Another words first 6 games..
Purdue
At NW
Illinois
At Iowa
At Wisconsin
Minnesota

Reactions: 9and4
If there going to do division games first would they use the normal schedule and go down the line of division games..

Another words first 6 games..
Purdue
At NW
Illinois
At Iowa
At Wisconsin
Minnesota

that’s what I was wondering too. Would they keep some of the games the same or will they alter things all the way around. One thing is for certain, we will play the West teams before we play the East teams. But I honestly hope we catch Purdue game 1 and hopefully Iowa game 2....fingers crossed on that happening.

that’s what I was wondering too. Would they keep some of the games the same or will they alter things all the way around. One thing is for certain, we will play the West teams before we play the East teams. But I honestly hope we catch Purdue game 1 and hopefully Iowa game 2....fingers crossed on that happening.

Wouldn’t know why they would move the Purdue game. And I don’t know why they would put the Iowa game ahead of NW or Illinois..

Iowa division schedule
At Minnesota
Northwestern
At Illinois
Nebraska
At Purdue
Wisconsin

It would be nice to catch Iowa after Purdue with a new redshirt QB..

Reactions: huskerssalts
Wouldn’t know why they would move the Purdue game. And I don’t know why they would put the Iowa game ahead of NW or Illinois..

Iowa division schedule
At Minnesota
Michigan St
Northwestern
At Illinois
Nebraska
At Purdue
Wisconsin
Iowa would get one more home game in the division.

It would be nice to catch Iowa after Purdue with a new redshirt QB..

“It would be nice to catch Iowa after Purdue with a new redshirt QB“ And this right there is why I’m hoping it works out that way. That and Iowa will be breaking in new players at FB, Oline, Dline, LB and secondary. No clue if we’d get that lucky or not...but one can hope.

Last time we played Sparty it was in Lincoln in the flurries, our kicker actually won it for us (2018).
An easy logistical road trip would be MI and MSU back to back, 50 miles apart, Detroit hotels and football stadium to practice in, classes on line. I really think it wouldn't be to bad, get rid of 2 road opponents and neither named OSU or PSU.

Last time we played Sparty it was in Lincoln in the flurries, our kicker actually won it for us (2018).
An easy logistical road trip would be MI and MSU back to back, 50 miles apart, Detroit hotels and football stadium to practice in, classes on line. I really think it wouldn't be to bad, get rid of 2 road opponents and neither named OSU or PSU.

If they would be whiling to drop the OSU game and give us Michigan instead (it definitely wouldn’t hurt anything, we have played the Buckeyes as much as most West teams lol) and then give us MSU as well for our extra game...I’d be fine with that. But here is my one issue, I’d be absolutely pi$$ed if they made us go into Michigan again to play the wolverines. We already played them in back to back games against Michigan at Michigan. It’s their turn to come to Lincoln... ;)

Last edited:
Aside from the travel factor - is playing a michigan - PSU - OSU or even Iowa on the road not that big a deal this year given greatly diminished crowds.

I would rather play Michigan in AA this year vs next year if much bigger crowd capacities are allowed.

Aside from the travel factor - is playing a michigan - PSU - OSU or even Iowa on the road not that big a deal this year given greatly diminished crowds.

I would rather play Michigan in AA this year vs next year if much bigger crowd capacities are allowed.

One of the rare times this will happen, but I agree with you on that. But it’s just the point, against Michigan, it’s our turn for the home game. Playing them back to back times in Michigan is bad enough, let alone playing them in Michigan for a 3rd time in a row. But outside that, I agree on the smaller crowd point. There won’t be a home field advantage anywhere this year. So it’s literally a non advantage/factor.

Last edited:

No it would be a home game vs. Michigan State.

I appreciate your cynicism but the Commish is a lifelong NFL guy/lawyer. He's also from the Ivy League.

He probably doesn't GAF about what happened to PSU in 1994.

I haven't followed the other conferences but the BIG has had Rutgers and MSU football and Iowa basketball have to place their entire teams in quarantine --- have other conference had this many?

I haven't followed the other conferences but the BIG has had Rutgers and MSU football and Iowa basketball have to place their entire teams in quarantine --- have other conference had this many?

add OSU, Indiana and Maryland to MSU, Rutgers and Iowa basketball

6/14 BIG schools have had to have a team be shutdown prior to any formal team activities even starting and before the rest of the student body is on campus

Last edited:
B1G is NOT being very decisive. "Impending" doesn't seem very likely for announcing a schedule at this point. I strongly suspect that they will delay the start of Fall Camps given that they're getting up against the wall timing wise but will keep deferring a decision on the actual season.

B1G is NOT being very decisive. "Impending" doesn't seem very likely for announcing a schedule at this point. I strongly suspect that they will delay the start of Fall Camps given that they're getting up against the wall timing wise but will keep deferring a decision on the actual season.

I think that's by design. In doing so they will let the schools make the decision for them not to have a season. Our conference's schools are committed to testing their students. Once tens of thousands of students are back on each B1G campus it will take about two weeks before too many students test positive and students are sent home. Then, it'lll be hard to justify keeping student athletes on campus or allowing thousands of people on campuses on Saturdays.

Reactions: saluno22
So lets say the BIg 10 calls off the season which I almost think is better than 50/50, if other non PS conferences are playing is there anything stopping Nebraska from scheduling a mix match of games like an Independent? I hate Nebraska whose states numbers are minuscule getting punished for being lumped in with states with much higher numbers.

impending was my word, not theirs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT