ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Cancels Football Season

BUjI.gif

Fear precedes more fear. UNMC has been a factor in informing the BIG about risk factors, etc
It's one thing to hypothesize about what risk factors look like and another completely to work through these risk factors in real time, along with testing, etc
I do believe that athletes were in a good position to work within bubbles at their own facilities, get tested, go compete, repeat
It'll be a shame that this will not get the opportunity to get off the ground
Human beings are the ultimate wild card
I work in invasive plant species management
Urban areas have the most disturbance, most vectors, the most variables for spread of these invasive species
Likewise for infectious disease, which is why there is a large disparity between urban and rural Nebraska
Mitigating the vectors for spread of C19 in a college environment, with a trained staff and testing should be attainable in real time despite the risk
It's unfortunate the times we live in dictate an all or nothing approach
The lack of leadership is deeply troubling, 12-2. I think it's the easy way out instead of working through mitigating the risk scenarios of college athletics

Fear precedes more fear. UNMC has been a factor in informing the BIG about risk factors, etc
It's one thing to hypothesize about what risk factors look like and another completely to work through these risk factors in real time, along with testing, etc
I do believe that athletes were in a good position to work within bubbles at their own facilities, get tested, go compete, repeat
It'll be a shame that this will not get the opportunity to get off the ground
Human beings are the ultimate wild card
I work in invasive plant species management
Urban areas have the most disturbance, most vectors, the most variables for spread of these invasive species
Likewise for infectious disease, which is why there is a large disparity between urban and rural Nebraska
Mitigating the vectors for spread of C19 in a college environment, with a trained staff and testing should be attainable in real time despite the risk
It's unfortunate the times we live in dictate an all or nothing approach
The lack of leadership is deeply troubling, 12-2. I think it's the easy way out instead of working through mitigating the risk scenarios of college athletics
The issue is liability, not the actual logistics of whether you could arguably keep them safer as part of a football team. I think you could, I fully agree the imposed structure is likely their best chance of NOT catching it.

But given the sheer numbers, a bunch of players will catch it. With the contact inherent to football, if people have it they'll spread it to teammates or opponents. Now it's a situation of "it happened on your watch."

A kid is a lot safer with me as a lifeguard sitting by the public pool than his is in a back yard by himself if he can't swim. But if he starts to drown in my pool instead of his, it becomes my problem.

I wonder what the eligibility regulations are regarding players transferring to schools that choose to play?

The B1G does a great job of leading the way in a lot of areas, but if a single conference or two conferences go rogue and play this year we're going to see national attrition like never before. Unfortunately, the teams that do play will be absolutely loaded, like Pete Carroll's USC loaded, because it won't be kids fighting for a starting spot who transfer.

The conference likely has already consulted with the NCAA regarding measures to avoid this, but lawyers are very creative and there's certainly an established precedent for granting immediate eligibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
I wonder what the eligibility regulations are regarding players transferring to schools that choose to play?

The B1G does a great job of leading the way in a lot of areas, but if a single conference or two conferences go rogue and play this year we're likely going to see attrition unlike never before. Unfortunately, the teams that do play will be absolutely loaded, like early 2000s USC loaded, because it won't be kids fighting for a roster spot who transfer. The conference likely has already consulted with the NCAA regarding measures to avoid this, but lawyers are very creative.

When is the last time the NCAA denied any transfer waiver request? They have almost no pull anymore.

Has big12 said anything about nonconference games? BIG said conference only which probably prohibits from scheduling our own games. We have to be a good conference member and fall in line. But this stinks. Not unexpected but stinks nonetheless

The issue is liability, not the actual logistics of whether you could arguably keep them safer as part of a football team. I think you could, I fully agree the imposed structure is likely their best chance of NOT catching it.

But given the sheer numbers, a bunch of players will catch it. With the contact inherent to football, if people have it they'll spread it to teammates or opponents. Now it's a situation of "it happened on your watch."

A kid is a lot safer with me as a lifeguard sitting by the public pool than his is in a back yard by himself if he can't swim. But if he starts to drown in my pool instead of his, it becomes my problem.

So school presidents are willing to take a guaranteed $78 million loss, based on the potential for liability lawsuits? Why not just let those who want to play sign a liability waiver? How are universities going to survive this revenue loss?

So school presidents are willing to take a guaranteed $78 million loss, based on the potential for liability lawsuits? Why not just let those who want to play sign a liability waiver? How are universities going to survive this revenue loss?

They will have to cut almost all other sports for starters. Scholarships, salaries, travel, etc. isn't free.

Holy shit, if the issue is liability, then Football is dead, not just due to the China Virus. Better get use to liking soccer and baseball.

Reactions: OzzyLvr

You do realize that liability waivers are nearly worthless?

This is a made up scapegoat.

There is no such thing as virus liability.

If there were the family members of the 10s of 1000s who die from the flu yearly would have heard about it.

Why are some worried about schools who don't cancel, getting players who want to transfer? Could Nebraska add more players to their 2020 class? No, and I am guessing other schools are in the same boat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT