ADVERTISEMENT

Avante Dickerson

FWIW. Heard last Friday on 1620 from one of the recruiting gurus(don’t remember who) that NU hasn’t closed the door but will leave it up to Avante to reach out if there is again mutual interest.
GBR!

Reactions: dinglefritz
We’re desperate and will take him, but a kid who snubs Frost, Fisher and Ruud in favor of Fleck? Makes me question his character a bit.

As a side note, I think we may have found a potential hidden gem in his teammate Koby Bretz.

Last edited:
We’re desperate and will take him, but a kid who snubs Frost, Fischer and Ruud in favor of Fleck? Makes me question his character a bit.

Kind of like a Nebraska kid choosing arrogant Bill Walsh and a mediocre Stanford team over humble Tom Osborne and a great Husker program? :) I don’t think we have any idea about this young man’s character. Maybe he just wanted to play in bowl games and doesn’t see that changing at NU anytime soon.

Kind of like a Nebraska kid choosing arrogant Bill Walsh and a mediocre Stanford team over humble Tom Osborne and a great Husker program? :) I don’t think we have any idea about this young man’s character. Maybe he just wanted to play in bowl games and doesn’t see that changing at NU anytime soon.
Yes, the mighty powerhouse of Minnesota. I agree it is silly to judge a kid's character based on the school he choses to attend (even if Fleck is cringeworthy), but please stop acting like Minnesota is suddenly a decent football school.

Just to clarify, I don’t pass the same judgment for any player who flips their commitment, although I think the practice is too prevalent. Just these particular circumstances where Fleck doesn’t tend to garner a lot of respect. Snubbing Nebraska is understandable as we’ve given little reason to attract all the players we want.
Also, I recognize a 17 yr old is a 17 yr old.
But Stanford’s Walsh vs Minnesota’s Fleck doesn’t represent a great comparison.

All in all- my commentary was more in jest, and not to be taken too seriously. I agree we should be cautious about judging a kid’s character just because they don’t do what “we” want.

Last edited:
The bowl game comment is pretty lame. Anyone with a brain can see the talent we're acquiring and will be competitive in the conference in a year or two.

Bretz was the must get from west side. Avante isn’t a dawg and is a lot of hype. Be nice to get him but won’t lose sleep.

completely agree with this. I think Bretz has a higher ceiling then Dickerson. 24/7 has already bumped his rating to a .88 (basically a borderline 4 star). Not to mention, us having Bretz already, it may help us eventually flip Dickerson. GBR

Walsh was 17-17-1 at Stanford and 10 of those wins came in year 1. Fleck is 23-15 in 3 years.
You serious, Clark?

You're just gonna disregard Walsh already being a lock to be a HOF coach, his three Super Bowl rings, coaching Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, and Ronnie Lott to super-stardom at the highest level, him literally revolutionizing the offensive game with his West Coast offense, and the Stanford football team being the reigning Pac-10 co-champions when Frost committed there?

If you feel like doubling down on simple thoughts, let me point out that Bill Parcells went 3-8 at Air Force in 1978, so P.J. Fleck's got him, too.

And he was 12-13 in year 2. Literally a game a season difference from Frost. Funny how year 3 with a cupcake schedule can change things. ;)
One started with a 10 win season and declined, the other has improved to a 10 win season

no one was talking about Frost, the conversation involved Walsh at Stanford vs Fleck at Minnesota.

Last edited:
You serious, Clark?

You're just gonna disregard Walsh already being a lock to be a HOF coach, his three Super Bowl rings, coaching Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, and Ronnie Lott to super-stardom at the highest level, him literally revolutionizing the offensive game with his West Coast offense, and the Stanford football team being the reigning Pac-10 co-champions when Frost committed there?

If you feel like doubling down on simple thoughts, let me point out that Bill Parcells went 3-8 at Air Force in 1978, so P.J. Fleck's got him, too.
You wrote Walsh at Stanford.

Yes, the mighty powerhouse of Minnesota. I agree it is silly to judge a kid's character based on the school he choses to attend (even if Fleck is cringeworthy), but please stop acting like Minnesota is suddenly a decent football school.
11-2 would be enough to convince most of this board we are a powerhouse in the making. Of course, 13-0 would be more convincing.Laughing

The bowl game comment is pretty lame. Anyone with a brain can see the talent we're acquiring and will be competitive in the conference in a year or two.
Bowl game comment? Maybe you were responding to someone else? I didn’t say anything about a bowl game, just noted that Frost picked a mediocre Stanford over a great NU program and no one here questions his character. Instead we assume he just thought his chances of becoming an NFL QB were better under Walsh than Frost.

Bowl game comment? Maybe you were responding to someone else? I didn’t say anything about a bowl game, just noted that Frost picked a mediocre Stanford over a great NU program and no one here questions his character. Instead we assume he just thought his chances of becoming an NFL QB were better under Walsh than Frost.
"Maybe he just wanted to play in bowl games and doesn’t see that changing at NU anytime soon."

Reactions: headcard
11-2 would be enough to convince most of this board we are a powerhouse in the making. Of course, 13-0 would be more convincing.Laughing
They were bad Fleck's first two years and will come crash back down to earth this year. So tired of all the Minnesota hype.

Reactions: SkerInCo
SIAP. So Minnesota received a 4th verbal from a DB on 8/23. Hard to say if all 4 actually project out as a DB at the next level though. Curious if PJ’s message is changing with him?
Who was the Goofer poster that keep reminding us how Minnesota had surpassed Nebraska on both the field and the recruiting world, that dude is MIA since these Avante posts have surfaced. Maybe something’s up?
GBR!

If a kid wants to play QB in the league, chosing Walsh was a smart move. It is also true that the sheepskin from Stanford has some value as well. Minnesota and Fleck? Not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT