ADVERTISEMENT

Attrition.......

The kid has "fullback" tattooed on his forehead? Play another position or is there a regulation against it? Not to be a smartass, but there's gotta be a program somewhere that can use him.

The kid has "fullback" tattooed on his forehead? Play another position or is there a regulation against it? Not to be a smartass, but there's gotta be a program somewhere that can use him.

His skill set and body type are made for a fullback. Fullbacks, almost more than any other position in football, are pretty muxh what they are. Unless they can play MLB, they just don’t fit another position well. Usually too slow or lack the agility to be a RB, too short to be a TE, and don’t have the speed to play LB.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
When does Darrlington get his diploma?, He's leaving for the Army, that drops another none. (2) to go.

I believe we were at 89 after Darlingron left.

EDIT: We dropped to 88 after POB left.

We dropped to 88 87 with Miles leaving, but will go back up to 89 88 when Vedral is put on scholarship this fall.

Still need 3 2 to leave by fall camp.

Last edited:
Farmer met with Frost and was told to prep to take over center. That tells me Decker has decided to hang it up. He wants to be a professor and will most likely go on medical or academic and off of football. Conrad might get mop up duty if injury calls for it, but isn’t much of a factor in this scheme.

Guy Thomas was going to transfer before it was announced Frost was hired. Dewitt convinced him to stay. He struggled in spring ball and is not in the 2 deep for playing time at OLB. Watching him in the Spring Game he didn’t seem to go that hard or give the intensity/effort the coaches want. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go. He just didn’t seem that motivated with how he was lackadaisically pursuing out there.

Ben Miles will not be used much. Didn’t even play in the spring game if I recall and I don’t believe Les was at the spring game. He could decide to look elsewhere. Ozigbo will get the call for short yardage before Miles will.

Pernell Jefferson is buried in the depth chart. Has some bad weight on him. Don’t think he sees the field this year with Tannor/Alston coming in and Miller/Davis/Ferguson/Gifford all ahead of him. Could he decide to look elsewhere? Does Sedrick King factor in when he gets healthy? Is he a likely candidate for transfer as well?

Bryan Brokop and Jalin Barnett aren’t going to see time at Nebraska. Do they stick it out to be part of the team anyways or transfer to play elsewhere?

Matt Snyder seems like he’s not a fit at TE for this system. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him go with the numbers we have at that spot. Plus McGriff/LeGrone are likely to grow into TE’s. Stoll/Allen/Rafdal make the 3 deep.

As for incoming freshmen... Frost said this week a few will not be here at the beginning of summer due to summer school for grades. Willie Canty & Maurice Washington are two of them. If you remember in the get to know you segments that Rivals put out after signing day those two had not yet met requirements. It is to be determined if they will make it by fall camp or not.
I agree on Guy Thomas. I can understand him struggling a bit in coverage, but watching the spring game he brought nothing to the pass rush and he got pushed around in the run game.

Sounds like a lot of guys could still transfer out and get below 85. Do we really want to get below 85 though? Yeah most of the guys mentioned aren't the best fit or are unlikely to see a lot of playing time, but I'd still prefer to keep them on the roster than see a lot of them transfer. You never know if a kid is going to have the light come on and end up being one of our better players. Or even if Frost wants to experiment with tweaking his system a bit and one of the tweener guys who normally wouldn't have a role ends up being just the guy we need. That's why I didn't want to see Ben Miles leave, you never know if having a fullback would add another element to Frost's offense.

I agree on Guy Thomas. I can understand him struggling a bit in coverage, but watching the spring game he brought nothing to the pass rush and he got pushed around in the run game.

Sounds like a lot of guys could still transfer out and get below 85. Do we really want to get below 85 though? Yeah most of the guys mentioned aren't the best fit or are unlikely to see a lot of playing time, but I'd still prefer to keep them on the roster than see a lot of them transfer. You never know if a kid is going to have the light come on and end up being one of our better players. Or even if Frost wants to experiment with tweaking his system a bit and one of the tweener guys who normally wouldn't have a role ends up being just the guy we need. That's why I didn't want to see Ben Miles leave, you never know if having a fullback would add another element to Frost's offense.
My guess is they will be right at 85 when the season starts. IMO Frost will award scholarships to walkons just before the season starts. My memory isn't always that great but I recall Osborne giving scholarships to senior walkons just because he could.

My guess is they will be right at 85 when the season starts. IMO Frost will award scholarships to walkons just before the season starts. My memory isn't always that great but I recall Osborne giving scholarships to senior walkons just because he could.

My memory IS pretty good.

I remember every coach since Osborne honoring the walkon tradition and giving scholarships to those players that have put in the work, along with the talent.

Osborne was also coach back in the days when 120+ players could be on scholarship.

My memory IS pretty good.

I remember every coach since Osborne honoring the walkon tradition and giving scholarships to those players that have put in the work, along with the talent.

Osborne was also coach back in the days when 120+ players could be on scholarship.
1973 brought about the first limitations on football scholarships in order to free up money for women's sports after Title IX was passed by Congress in 1972 as part of the Equal Opportunity in Education Act. This caused the NCAA schools' presidents and athletic directors to push through a limit of 105 football scholarships. Additional reductions were made in 1978 (95) and again in 1992 which brought the limit to its present number of 85

Reactions: huskerfan1414

Georgia Tech. The service Academies.

Well yeah that's great to have walkons get scholarships, especially if we already have fewer than 85. What I don't get is we seem to be encouraging some players to leave to get to under 85 and I just don't think that's necessary. We can use all the bodies we can get, and actively encouraging some players to leave the program to make room for walkons getting scholarships doesn't make sense to me.

I believe the thing is that there are players that are going to leave that don't fit the system, don't want to put in the work or whatever. There are people that want to get rid of those players to free up scholarships. By the time these players leave, the only options to fill those scholarships are walk ons or grad transfers. The other option is to leave the scholarships unused. Which the last staffs have done and were widely criticized for.

Or i guess you can keep players on scholarship that don't fit the system, don't want to work or whatever just to keep the number at 85. But the lack of recycling of players, again something that Nebraska staffs have been criticized for.

Get it to 84 and then pick up one stud grad transfer at a position of need?

If you don't land that transfer, then you award to most deserving walk-on....

That is what I would do. And I am a highly respected coach..... by at least a dozen people on the planet earth!

Get it to 84 and then pick up one stud grad transfer at a position of need?

If you don't land that transfer, then you award to most deserving walk-on....

That is what I would do. And I am a highly respected coach..... by at least a dozen people on the planet earth!

Remember that in order to get Bryant and Vedral on scholarship, they need to get down to 83, so that is a minimum of 4 more. To get a grad transfer, you need to get to 82 (5 more), to award more than 1 walk on, down to 81, or 6 more.

Remember that in order to get Bryant and Vedral on scholarship, they need to get down to 83, so that is a minimum of 4 more. To get a grad transfer, you need to get to 82 (5 more), to award more than 1 walk on, down to 81, or 6 more.
Is Bryant going on scholarship? I thought he was a walk-on.

I believe the thing is that there are players that are going to leave that don't fit the system, don't want to put in the work or whatever. There are people that want to get rid of those players to free up scholarships. By the time these players leave, the only options to fill those scholarships are walk ons or grad transfers. The other option is to leave the scholarships unused. Which the last staffs have done and were widely criticized for.

Or i guess you can keep players on scholarship that don't fit the system, don't want to work or whatever just to keep the number at 85. But the lack of recycling of players, again something that Nebraska staffs have been criticized for.
The thing with awarding walkons when you're already over the limit is it forces a scholarship player to leave and the walk on probably won't see a better chance of seeing the field than the scholarship player. If you kept the scholarship guy on the roster, the walk on guy won't be hurt by that because he's in the same position he was in by continuing to be a walk on, and by keeping the scholarship guy on the roster you have a higher chance of finding a player who will be able to contribute.

I believe we were at 89 after Darlingron left.

EDIT: We dropped to 88 after POB left.

We dropped to 88 87 with Miles leaving, but will go back up to 89 88 when Vedral is put on scholarship this fall.

Still need 3 2 to leave by fall camp.

Vedral doesn't go on scholarship until next year, I believe, as UCF didn't give him his release.

Vedral doesn't go on scholarship until next year, I believe, as UCF didn't give him his release.

Vedral's scholarship can only be blocked for a year.

Moses Bryant, to my understanding, was told he would be put on scholarship in the fall.

According to Sean Callahan, he should go on scholarship in June, although I have yet to read anything that said he would get his release from UCF...

The thing with awarding walkons when you're already over the limit is it forces a scholarship player to leave and the walk on probably won't see a better chance of seeing the field than the scholarship player. If you kept the scholarship guy on the roster, the walk on guy won't be hurt by that because he's in the same position he was in by continuing to be a walk on, and by keeping the scholarship guy on the roster you have a higher chance of finding a player who will be able to contribute.
walk ons who don't have a chance of seeing the field don't go on scholarship. Only walk ons who have already contributed or who are in line for extensive playing time go on scholarship.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Same with Vedral how can he go on scholarship this year when his transfer was blocked?
There are some that think that UCF will eventually pull their restriction and fully release him and that will allow NU to put him on scholarship this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT