ADVERTISEMENT

Attrition - Who is it?

+1 .... QB depth is so poor that unfortunately the fate of Riley and his staff is going to solely rest on how POB develops. If things are going to turn around in 3-5 years then POB has to be the real deal as I don't think Riley is going to be given the time it would take to recruit and develop another QB unless we hit lightning with a JUCO. POB is a great, great get but projecting QB play from HS to D1 is a big gamble. You need to hit on a QB each recruiting cycle to allow for the busts. If you whiff time and time again you end up in our circumstance with TA next year and then you are all in with POB - either hit or bust. If POB is what we expect then Riley has time to start stockpiling QB talent and let the competition begin with the strongest staying and the weakest transferring out. I still would like to hedge my bets with a reasonably competent JUCO this year or next but right now we are all in with POB.
EVERY coach's success rides on his QB. You can have all the talent in the world around him but if the "guy" turns the ball over 4-5 times per game its tough to win. You get the right "guy" under center and he can cover up some other deficiencies.

EVERY coach's success rides on his QB. You can have all the talent in the world around him but if the "guy" turns the ball over 4-5 times per game its tough to win. You get the right "guy" under center and he can cover up some other deficiencies.

of course -- my point is typically you have at least one QB recruit per cycle so you have the opportunity to get "the guy" each year understanding that maybe only 1/3 may actually pan out. We have no one on the roster that I believe has the chance to be the guy other than POB - he needs to succeed to give Riley time to recruit a QB in the 2017-18-19 classes with the hopes that one of those recruits is the next "guy".

I love POB ... but what if he is Shane Morris . what then?

Last edited:

They'll be able to identify that real quick, and you'll see us get heavily involved in any transfer QB options. More than likely you'd also see 2 QB's taken in the 2017 class, which may happen regardless. IMO, a lot will also depend on Darlington this spring.

They'll be able to identify that real quick, and you'll see us get heavily involved in any transfer QB options. More than likely you'd also see 2 QB's taken in the 2017 class, which may happen regardless. IMO, a lot will also depend on Darlington this spring.

Thanks. Yes if POB isn't ready for the 2017 season we have to be at the top of the list for potential QB transfers with immediate eligibility to play

of course -- my point is typically you have at least one QB recruit per cycle so you have the opportunity to get "the guy" each year understanding that maybe only 1/3 may actually pan out. We have no one on the roster that I believe has the chance to be the guy other than POB - he needs to succeed to give Riley time to recruit a QB in the 2017-18-19 classes with the hopes that one of those recruits is the next "guy".

Who knows if POB works out...but in regards to Shane Morris, the writing was on the wall before he even showed up on campus. For POB? He has the goods and we have a staff who has a history of developing NFL QB's.

Timmy is right, 2017 we will only have O'Brien amd Darlington, if O'Brien gets hurt in anyway, then we will have no choice but to play Zach. i think we need to try and get another qb this year, juco or what ever...really wished Kyle Allen would of picked us and Houston. Next year is a no brainer, like i said, we HAVE to close with Gebbia and maybe even another.

As far as i know, Gebbia is our top QB we are after, outside him i really have no idea....i think theres a Hawaiian dual threat QB we are or where trying for, Maybe Rocky Lombardi from Iowa would be a thought.

Last edited:
Gebbia looks like a pretty strong commitment chance for 2017. Who would be the other top target?
IF POB looks like a player in spring ball and IF Gebbia commits, I'm not sure you go too hard after another scholarship QB in 17. Maybe you try to get a kid to walk on that looks like he could develop in to something just in case POB or Gebbia get hurt or fail to develop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT