ADVERTISEMENT

Attrition - Who is it?

The Bush deal is news to me, just not to long ago Riley said no QBs where transferring out, of course it isn't to say it can't happen, everyone changes there minds. This does show the coaches are defiantly holding hi hopes in O'Brien and with reason, there isn't one pure passer on the team until he hits campus....even more of a reason we need to CLOSE with Gebbia, we need the talent and depth.

wow, I peaked at our next years roster, with Bush gone all we have 2 seniors and Darlington (which no one knows if the kid can actually play not, he's good enough and shows the smarts but healthy reasons). We are now scare slim for the 2017 season, right now we only have O'Brien and Darlington....boy I hope he can play because if O'Brien goes down, we have NO CHOICE.

We should have went hard on the juco route this year. I think we need to dominate the Jucos personally.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I blew a puff of air out my nose in the fashion that one does when something is funny on the internet.

So did I.
Except I never realized I do it in the fashion when something is funny on the internet.

BAPOAOMN

well Timmy, I have no idea, let alone a guess who else is transferring but I do know how slim we are about to be at QB and we are asking for disaster. We have to land Gebbia, and a few other QBs, if it's freshmen or Jucos or transfer. I can't see any of the other transferring players having an impact on the team like the QB situation we are about to be in.

Last edited:
nah, honestly I didn't think you was, we never had any issues between us. The QB deal just became very apparent to me once Bush was said to be leaving. God I hope the coaches have something up there sleeve for our QBs come 2017, because it will only be O'Brien and Darlington....we have all been wondering about Darlington if he can truly play or not and we may just find out the hard way. I hope he gets his chance and hits a grand slam and does great. kid has a lot of heart, accuracy and football smarts. I just pray if he gets put in, it doesn't ruin him forever, if anyone gets my meaning?

very good point, when it comes to offensive side of the ball, I think Riley will have us set and eventually having a elite offense going.

Here's my guess on a few possible transfers (GUESS IS ALL)....Adam Taylor (dude may never get a shot to play outside if special teams), Kevin Williams (just have this gut feeling) and MAYBE Mikale Wilbon (from his tweets alone made it seem like he was thinking about it mid season but I think stays). Outside those guys, when I look at the roster and possible playing time and such, I can't see why anyone else would want to leave. Maybe a DT or LB that's not progressing or got passes up by a younger player...maybe Mosley?

very good point, when it comes to offensive side of the ball, I think Riley will have us set and eventually having a elite offense going.

Here's my guess on a few possible transfers (GUESS IS ALL)....Adam Taylor (dude may never get a shot to play outside if special teams), Kevin Williams (just have this gut feeling) and MAYBE Mikale Wilbon (from his tweets alone made it seem like he was thinking about it mid season but I think stays). Outside those guys, when I look at the roster and possible playing time and such, I can't see why anyone else would want to leave. Maybe a DT or LB that's not progressing or got passes up by a younger player...maybe Mosley?

Like everyone, we have alot of older players buried on the depth chart, so those are always guys that could look for an opportunity somewhere else.

Guys like: A.J. Natter, Adam Taylor, Boaz Joseph, Charles Jackson, Zach Hannon and Dwayne Johnson

Also you have guys that we have heard could be unhappy and might go. Probably BS rumors, but you never know.

Guys like: Mikale Wilbon, Gerald Foster and Kevin Williams

Plus there is always the draft status of Vincent Valentine.

Like everyone, we have alot of older players buried on the depth chart, so those are always guys that could look for an opportunity somewhere else.

Guys like: A.J. Natter, Adam Taylor, Boaz Joseph, Charles Jackson, Zach Hannon and Dwayne Johnson

Also you have guys that we have heard could be unhappy and might go. Probably BS rumors, but you never know.

Guys like: Mikale Wilbon, Gerald Foster and Kevin Williams

Plus there is always the draft status of Vincent Valentine.

Foster could very well be a starter next year. KW will play a bunch and will probably start at least some of the time IF he stays. I think his consideration with all the injuries he's had is whether or not he continues to play at all. Wilbon isn't going anywhere. It wouldn't make any sense for him to transfer now and lose a year. He's the heir apparent to the Newby role. The rest of the guys who knows?

We should have went hard on the juco route this year. I think we need to dominate the Jucos personally.
I agree with this in a big way. If you're going to change the system, and you don't have the personnel to run it, you absolutely hit the juco ranks hard and get players in right away to run your system. You won't have to hit it every year like K-State did, but in the beginning of a new identity change, it makes perfect sense.

What things are looking like besides regular graduation, is more attrition and a half full signing class. This makes things much harder going forward. You're not making the transition in one year, it lingers on, and you have less personnel to do it with.

So did I.
Except I never realized I do it in the fashion when something is funny on the internet.

BAPOAOMN
That made me do the office laugh where something is funny, but you don't wanna laugh too hard because people know your paperwork isn't that amusing...

Reactions: huskerj12
I blew a puff of air out my nose in the fashion that one does when something is funny on the internet.

Well done! If everyone on this board who "literally spit out my coffee!!!" actually spit out their coffee at something mildly amusing, I would be concerned

Wait... Charles Jackson is still here and has eligibility? I think he rooms with Paul Bunyan and John Henry. Or so the lore goes.

I wonder what happened with Charles Jackson? Dude was a top 100 5.9 4 star CB and a under armour all star out high school. I thought he'd be a beast for us. Hopefully its a not on us like Leon Jackson back in Callahans run where we had a 6.0 4 star athlete that we bounced everywhere and never got a chance.

I wonder what happened with Charles Jackson? Dude was a top 100 5.9 4 star CB and a under armour all star out high school. I thought he'd be a beast for us. Hopefully its a not on us like Leon Jackson back in Callahans run where we had a 6.0 4 star athlete that we bounced everywhere and never got a chance.

He has had a lot of injuries over the last few years, and I think early he didn't grasp Bo's scheme so was in the semi-doghouse if I am recapping what I remember on here.

A message board legend, like Mason Wald (speaking in jest here). Favorite mssg board quote of all time, "When Mason Wald goes swimming, he doesn't get wet. The water gets Walded"

If the team gets the attrition some are saying, will the schollys get used? I like Riley and the staff but I don't want another year of self imposed true scholarship limitations for the program. I think he will get some good talent to sign late but will there be enough of the best available to make full use the 85 scholarships?

I hope so.

If the team gets the attrition some are saying, will the schollys get used? I like Riley and the staff but I don't want another year of self imposed true scholarship limitations for the program. I think he will get some good talent to sign late but will there be enough of the best available to make full use the 85 scholarships?

I hope so.

you can't make up the difference in one year .... there is a max scholly count of 85 but there is also a limited number of scholarships you can hand out per year -- approx 25

I get the whole 85 limit and there should be a limit, kinda simular to the NFLs salary caps....but the 25 limit a year is a little bit stupid, in MY opinion. if you only have 53 schollies used up, and you can pull enough recruits in one year to hit your max then you should be able to. Maybe I'm just bull headed.

I hope so.
They'll use every scholarship they can. Considering Devine was a late pick up last year, I have a bunch of faith in how they evaluate talent. It's kind of a crap shoot when you're not sure how many scholarships you will end up having available.

I hope so.

They'll use every scholarship they can. Considering Devine was a late pick up last year, I have a bunch of faith in how they evaluate talent. It's kind of a crap shoot when you're not sure how many scholarships you will end up having available.

One would think that during this dead period that the coaches are watching 2016 sr highlight videos of everyone on their Plan B, Plan C, Plan D, etc and getting ready to make offers to attempt to pull in as many late bloomers as possible to fill the class.

Surely the recruiting will blast off once the dead period ends and be crazy until NSD as they work to get like 10 more commits!

I am definitely surprised at the lack of midterm enrollies though.

Reactions: baseball31ne
you can't make up the difference in one year .... there is a max scholly count of 85 but there is also a limited number of scholarships you can hand out per year -- approx 25

I get the whole 85 limit and there should be a limit, kinda simular to the NFLs salary caps....but the 25 limit a year is a little bit stupid, in MY opinion. if you only have 53 schollies used up, and you can pull enough recruits in one year to hit your max then you should be able to. Maybe I'm just bull headed.

We can sign more than 25 in a class, early enrollees don't count to the class they're entering in.

No doubt. I hate it when QB's commit to us and then turn into first team all B1G. Sucks big time.

It sure does suck, especially someone that wasn't even recruited to be a TBD. Project QB's should never be an option for Nebraska football, regardless of the coach.

Bush is a body, and that's it. The days of questionable QB recruiting is over, if there's one spot nobody should worry about, it's recruiting a QB with Riley and Langsdorf.
...should be a pivotal change in our success going forward. It is a big deal if/when they can deliver.

[QUOTE="

It sure does suck, especially someone that wasn't even recruited to be a TBD. Project QB's should never be an option for Nebraska football, regardless of the coach.[/QUOTE]

If I only knew what a TBD was.....

...should be a pivotal change in our success going forward. It is a big deal if/when they can deliver.

+1 .... QB depth is so poor that unfortunately the fate of Riley and his staff is going to solely rest on how POB develops. If things are going to turn around in 3-5 years then POB has to be the real deal as I don't think Riley is going to be given the time it would take to recruit and develop another QB unless we hit lightning with a JUCO. POB is a great, great get but projecting QB play from HS to D1 is a big gamble. You need to hit on a QB each recruiting cycle to allow for the busts. If you whiff time and time again you end up in our circumstance with TA next year and then you are all in with POB - either hit or bust. If POB is what we expect then Riley has time to start stockpiling QB talent and let the competition begin with the strongest staying and the weakest transferring out. I still would like to hedge my bets with a reasonably competent JUCO this year or next but right now we are all in with POB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT