ADVERTISEMENT

Attending a game in Iowa City

sloth316

Senior
Jun 24, 2002
I have the Friday after Thanksgiving off for the first time in what seems like forever...Will already be in Omaha for Thanksgiving and considering a trip to Iowa City for the Nebraska-Iowa game. Is the game day experience at Kinnick and surrounding area pretty solid?

I have the Friday after Thanksgiving off for the first time in what seems like forever...Will already be in Omaha for Thanksgiving and considering a trip to Iowa City for the Nebraska-Iowa game. Is the game day experience at Kinnick and surrounding area pretty solid?
I have never been but everyone that has gone says it is a great time. It is all about tailgating there, no bar scene at all I guess.

Reactions: sloth316
I ve been there once. It was fun.

Reactions: Huskred01
If you go, definitely plan on going to the bars after the game. It’s a little bit of a jaunt but should be worth it. Plenty of paid lots and a couple free ones that shuttle to and from Kinnick. Should be a good time, weather permitting.

Downtown IC has a very good bar scene, its just a 20 minute walk to the stadium. OP will have a good time if he goes, plenty of tailgating all around the stadium.
You are the first fan to say that...all the Iowa fans I know say the bars are "not where it is at" on gameday...but maybe it is just their preference to tailgate.

We lik
You are the first fan to say that...all the Iowa fans I know say the bars are "not where it is at" on gameday...but maybe it is just their preference to tailgate.

We like parking in dtown IC, having someone cook and serve us, then walk it off to the stadium. We actually do that in Lincoln too. I park near the capital since I live on the east side. The walk from the Neb capital to memorial stadium isn't much different than dtown IC to Kinnick.

If you like to lug food and drink in, and garbage out....tailgating is fun in IC

Reactions: cidsports
We lik

We like parking in dtown IC, having someone cook and serve us, then walk it off to the stadium. We actually do that in Lincoln too. I park near the capital since I live on the east side. The walk from the Neb capital to memorial stadium isn't much different than dtown IC to Kinnick.

If you like to lug food and drink in, and garbage out....tailgating is fun in IC
I am much more of a bar guy...

We just went to Michigan and the bar scene sucked pre and post game.

Before the game you definitely tailgate; the tailgate scene is pretty good in Iowa City. Trouble is it is usually pretty cold by late November. The bars arent a big deal before the game but a lot of fun after the games but it is a little bit of a walk...probably 15 minutes or so. All kinds of different bars too so even if you are on the older side (cough cough) you can still find a good place.

I think you guys will find Iowa City and Kinnick to be like a lot of college venues... mostly great folks and a few aholes. Don't let the latter ruin your visit (advice I took on my visit to Lincoln...which paid off) It's a great college town.

Reactions: 9and4
Iowa sucks...but I loved the tailgating/atmosphere at the one game I went to there, way back in 2002. Great time.

It could have been the elevation, you know 15 rows up, but it would have been a good fight. I've learned having the higher ground in stadium fights can not be underestimated, no matter the gender.
You always want to take and then defend the ridge

Reactions: Jah Broni
If you don’t mind walking, you can find parking downtown and pregame it at the bars. However, tailgating is the signature feature of the IC pregame experience. Get to the area near the stadium and find a group to hang out with.

Reactions: 9and4
St. Burch Tavern downtown, which used to be Atlas, has a great basement bar, reminiscent of Chesterfield's in Lincoln (if it's still there). Otherwise, I have a pool table, a big fridge and a reasonably large television in my basement. Hawks are welcome, but if they tell a Nebraska joke, they have to drink the shitty beer.

Go every year. Lots of parking out in the neighborhoods but go early. Parking lots SE of stadium tailgate well, just don’t expect to get out quickly.. If you just want to go to the game park out by the mall and take the train to the stadium. Lots of Husker fans tailgate if you want to go crash, they are welcoming.. local fans are good if you are... weather almost always sucks, so there is that. Avoid the bars and ped mall, lots of drunken students and it is packed..

Not a Hawk fan but their O and D lines are legit and we will most likely get rolled. So be prepare for that...

Pregame - skip the bars. Tailgate before the game near the stadium. It’s awesome, there is something for everyone, and if you aren’t a complete douchebag, you’ll be invited to join someone’s tailgater. I highly recommend.

Post game, you’ll join tens of thousands of other fans who make the walk from Kinnick over the river and through campus to the bars downtown. As people have said, it’s a 15-20 minute walk. The bars are a big deal after the game, and downtown Iowa City is legendary.

Not a Hawk fan but their O and D lines are legit and we will most likely get rolled. So be prepare for that...
Also, prepare your response for the inevitable bad Nebraska joke: laugh, and act as if you've never heard it before. Resist the urge to retaliate, and you might get a free Pseudo Sue out of the deal.

Reactions: Huskred01
Yes tailgate before game. Like stated earlier, we are usually a friendly bunch and you wont have trouble finding a spot to hang out and drink. Also, make sure you take a walk down Melrose as well.

After the game, downtown is a must. There is a ton of construction going on because they are redoing all of the stone in the ped mall so it is a little messy but worth it to get down there. Plenty of bars for everyone's taste.

If you are young and dont mind the walk, I would park downtown or stay close to downtown and walk to stadium, grab a 30 of BL, tailgate, walk back downtown after the game. Guess it depends on were you are staying as to were you park.

Eateries:
Hamburg Inn or Bluebird- Breakfast
Wig and Pen- Pizza
Vine
Shorts- Burgers
Airliner- A classic

Reactions: BC Hawk
Walk down melrose, hit the sidestreet tailgates along the way (Melrose Pl, Triangle, Olive Ct), walk the lots around the stadium for tailgating, be prepared to drink, dress exrtremely warm, hit the bars after the game. Its a blast, appologies for my drunken rant a few weeks back btw after the Colorado game, shoukdnt keep a man when he’s down

It's been a while for me, but fans at Kinnick are actually welcoming. IIRC there is a lot down my where the train comes in from Coralville? that you can tailgate at. I've stayed in Cedar Rapids when I stuck around before/ after the game, so I can't tell you much about Iowa City or Coralville.

Also, prepare your response for the inevitable bad Nebraska joke: laugh, and act as if you've never heard it before. Resist the urge to retaliate, and you might get a free Pseudo Sue out of the deal.
That’s a great beer! Everything Toppling Goliath does is great though.

I went to my first game last year, Oh St, & had a blast! Iowa City definitely lives up to it’s party town reputation.

The tailgating is way more fun than Memorial. I think there were just as many people tailgating that didn’t go to the game us people that did. Bar scene was a blast as stated above. Packed & chaotic though.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Yes tailgate before game. Like stated earlier, we are usually a friendly bunch and you wont have trouble finding a spot to hang out and drink. Also, make sure you take a walk down Melrose as well.

After the game, downtown is a must. There is a ton of construction going on because they are redoing all of the stone in the ped mall so it is a little messy but worth it to get down there. Plenty of bars for everyone's taste.

If you are young and dont mind the walk, I would park downtown or stay close to downtown and walk to stadium, grab a 30 of BL, tailgate, walk back downtown after the game. Guess it depends on were you are staying as to were you park.

Eateries:
Hamburg Inn or Bluebird- Breakfast
Wig and Pen- Pizza
Vine
Shorts- Burgers
Airliner- A classic

Pagilai's Pizza fo sho

I had lunch at Pagliais pizza in Maryville MO a while back. Not all that good. I've also eaten at the one in Iowa City. Much much better.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
I had lunch at Pagliais pizza in Maryville MO a while back. Not all that good. I've also eaten at the one in Iowa City. Much much better.
The best place in IC right now is Maggie's on West Melrose, just west of Kinnick. If you're into wood-fired ovens and really great apps (the Castelvetrano olives and the bagna fagioli, for examples), go to Maggie's.

The tailgating and pregame atmosphere around the stadium in Iowa City is top notch. The stadium itself is okay, nothing super impressive or awe-inspiring about it, but it is easy to move around the stadium with their basically four separate sets of grandstands.

The fans are pretty great for the most part, not like a lot of the online trolls you see on the message boards. But be prepared for a lot of bad Husker jokes. You will hear "the 'N' stands for knowledge" joke about 2,343,242,919 times.

Overall it's a good experience, just home we actually play a competitive game with them. Ferentz really seems to get his team fired up for the Nebraska game.

The tailgating and pregame atmosphere around the stadium in Iowa City is top notch. The stadium itself is okay, nothing super impressive or awe-inspiring about it, but it is easy to move around the stadium with their basically four separate sets of grandstands.

The fans are pretty great for the most part, not like a lot of the online trolls you see on the message boards. But be prepared for a lot of bad Husker jokes. You will hear "the 'N' stands for knowledge" joke about 2,343,242,919 times.

Overall it's a good experience, just home we actually play a competitive game with them. Ferentz really seems to get his team fired up for the Nebraska game.

Alum-Ni nails it. You could/might encounter a douche drunk Iowa fan that will be miserable, apologize in advance for that. But in general if you are friendly Iowa fans will reciprocate. I've been to Lincoln for every Iowa-Neb. game since you all joined the Big 10 and have enjoyed it every time, even the games Iowa loses.

For all the criticism KF gets for being stodgy and old-school, he has really embraced playing on Black Friday and ending the season against Nebraska. I know the comment from Eichorst after the 2014 game definitely got KF's attention more than the game already did. That's water under the bridge now. Safe travels to anyone heading over for the game.

That is what I like about the college game day at the stadiums. Whether in Lincoln or Iowa City, the fans get along great, drink together, cheer for their team and congrats to each other when the game is over. The trolling internet idiots ruin a good conversation for all.

Good luck against the Gophers!!

ADVERTISEMENT