ADVERTISEMENT

Athlonsports Article - Scott Frost - Mark Helfrich reunion .... ?

It's kind of a puff piece. Helfrich would be amazing to have around, but why would he want to come in and just be an analyst? He'd need to be full OC, or take over a much larger role. The best you could hope for is he agrees to come here and start training Troy Walters replacement. It's neat conceptually, I just don't see it happening given that Helfrich could go be HC somewhere else.

It will be interesting though. The one point this article makes accurately is, we need to be throwing money at the best people available to build up a powerhouse program. We're getting the facilities to rival Clemson and Alabama (2 years away), we've got a coaching staff the university is definitely trying its best to support, and the recruiting is looking damn good these days. Other than patience and maybe steroids, the only thing we really need to be focused on is paying the best talent available to come coach and teach here.

It's really not that uncommon. Butch Jones and Steve Sarkisian went to Alabama as analysts, bob Diaco went to Oklahoma as an analysts.

It's really not that uncommon. Butch Jones and Steve Sarkisian went to Alabama as analysts, bob Diaco went to Oklahoma as an analysts.

Oh well, ok then, hire his ass. And try to hire Randall Joyner away from SMU. He learned under Larry Johnson at OSU. He'd be a great coaching addition to our LB's/defense.

I'd rather hire Joe Moorhead, but I doubt he or Helfrich will take an analyst role or a coordinator-in-name-only role. They will want play-calling duties and should get plenty of offers.

Some coaches will go to Alabama as analysts because Saban has a long proven track record of assistants going on to get better jobs. Frost hasn't had any assistants move up yet.

Last edited:
I'd rather hire Joe Moorhead, but I doubt he or Helfrich will take an analyst role or a coordinator-in-name-only role. They will want play-calling duties and should get plenty of offers.

Some coaches will go to Alabama as analysts because Saban has a long proven track record of assistants going on to get better jobs. Frost hasn't had any assistants move up yet.

True....but I thinks it's worth a shot to hire a former head coach as analyst or as a position coach....just like Georgia did hiring Arkansas fired coach as Oline coach.

I feel if you were a head coach somewhere before.....you had to be good at something and know something about football to get a school to take that chance on you.

Besides every coach coaching at an elite level right now has big time outsiders on his staff. You not gone get where you want to be in today's college football with a bunch of yes men or think alikes on your team. Plus as a head coach you can't be scared of competing personalities....

Last edited:
I feel if you were a head coach somewhere before.....you had to be good at something and know something about football to get a school to take that chance on you.

Besides every coach coaching at an elite level right now has big time outsiders on his staff.

Urban Meyer had numerous big time former head coaches as assistants on his staff at OSU. When Ryan Day took over the reins in 2019 he dropped those guys. I thought the 2019 Day staffed team was better than the 2018 team. Ryan Day was just an assistant when he replaced Meyer mid year 2018. Thought he out coached the big name guy that year as well.

It's kind of a puff piece. Helfrich would be amazing to have around, but why would he want to come in and just be an analyst? He'd need to be full OC, or take over a much larger role. The best you could hope for is he agrees to come here and start training Troy Walters replacement. It's neat conceptually, I just don't see it happening given that Helfrich could go be HC somewhere else.

It will be interesting though. The one point this article makes accurately is, we need to be throwing money at the best people available to build up a powerhouse program. We're getting the facilities to rival Clemson and Alabama (2 years away), we've got a coaching staff the university is definitely trying its best to support, and the recruiting is looking damn good these days. Other than patience and maybe steroids, the only thing we really need to be focused on is paying the best talent available to come coach and teach here.

Not sure why you think Helfrich would be amazing to have around. He was pretty indecisive as the Ducks head coach (see Riley's Husker team over the Ducks) and was let go as the OC with the Bears. True the Duck fans just might be one of the most fickle fan bases in all of college football and the Bear's Qb is far from being top shelf, but I still wonder how good of a coach he is. As far as I see it being a good friend of Scott's seems to be the main factor in hiring him.

Not sure why you think Helfrich would be amazing to have around. He was pretty indecisive as the Ducks head coach (see Riley's Husker team over the Ducks) and was let go as the OC with the Bears. True the Duck fans just might be one of the most fickle fan bases in all of college football and the Bear's Qb is far from being top shelf, but I still wonder how good of a coach he is. As far as I see it being a good friend of Scott's seems to be the main factor in hiring him.
The guy was part of some of the most prolific offenses in CFB history, the HC or a team that played for a National Championship, the OC of a team that played in the National Championship and an NFL OC. It amazes me that people down play and even scoff at the notion that hiring Helfrich would be a home run.

The guy was part of some of the most prolific offenses in CFB history, the HC or a team that played for a National Championship, the OC of a team that played in the National Championship and an NFL OC. It amazes me that people down play and even scoff at the notion that hiring Helfrich would be a home run.

He had Mitch Tribusky as his QB with the Bears, Andy Reid would have been fired if Bears OC.

Reactions: headcard

Colorado wasn't wild about him when he was out here.

True....but I thinks it's worth a shot to hire a former head coach as analyst or as a position coach....just like Georgia did hiring Arkansas fired coach as Oline coach.

Besides every coach coaching at an elite level right now has big time outsiders on his staff. You not gone get where you want to be in today's college football with a bunch of yes men or think alikes on your team. Plus as a head coach you can't be scared of competing personalities....

Arkansas hired Georgia’s O line coach... Arkansas’ fired HC went to Auburn as OC. Cheers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT