ADVERTISEMENT

At what point do our troubles become the ‘Solich Curse?’

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
Because our program seems cursed. The only problem with calling it the Solich curse is that our downfall started with him in Colorado in 2001. This is so exhausting.

I wish more than anything that Osborne hadn’t retired because I think we would have won it all again in 1999. Yet, he retired and bypassed the AD to have a crony hire of Solich. Maybe it should be the ‘Cronyism Curse.’

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pharvey0829
No curse, just a concerted effort to make one bad decision after another because the quality of the program took a back seat to other priorities in picking both ADs and Head Coaches. Easy to understand really with hindsight.

There have been a few conspiracy topics today - why not add another.

Tom Osborne set the program up for failure to preserve his legacy.

- The college football landscape changes and will make TO’s formula for success more difficult in the future.
- Tom retires due to health “heart” issues. He then promptly takes to the low stress occupation of running for Congress.
- He announces Frank for head coach that we learn other assistant did not respect. We now know Frank would have never recruited a team to challenge for a national championship, let alone many conference championships. We have seen how Frank performed at Nebraska and another program entirely.
- He comes to the rescue as a temporary AD and interviews a couple candidates and hires Bo Pelini. He steps away after and we know the test of the story.
- While the program sputters, Husker Nation continues to remember his tremendous successes and he becomes a god like figure. He is interviewed many times on how successful he was, gets the field and named after him, capped off with the latest Tom Osborne Collection.

These are a collection of items I have heard outside the Nebraska borders and most are likely BS - but Tom Osborne has definitely played a part in the state of the Nebraska program today.

The only solution is to bring Tom Osborne back. Don't have to pay him much since he is collecting Social Security and he wouldn't want to exceed the income limits. Move Scott Frost to OC and he could learn from the best.

There have been a few conspiracy topics today - why not add another.

Tom Osborne set the program up for failure to preserve his legacy.

- The college football landscape changes and will make TO’s formula for success more difficult in the future.
- Tom retires due to health “heart” issues. He then promptly takes to the low stress occupation of running for Congress.
- He announces Frank for head coach that we learn other assistant did not respect. We now know Frank would have never recruited a team to challenge for a national championship, let alone many conference championships. We have seen how Frank performed at Nebraska and another program entirely.
- He comes to the rescue as a temporary AD and interviews a couple candidates and hires Bo Pelini. He steps away after and we know the test of the story.
- While the program sputters, Husker Nation continues to remember his tremendous successes and he becomes a god like figure. He is interviewed many times on how successful he was, gets the field and named after him, capped off with the latest Tom Osborne Collection.

These are a collection of items I have heard outside the Nebraska borders and most are likely BS - but Tom Osborne has definitely played a part in the state of the Nebraska program today.
Your sleuthing makes me think of the theme song to Dragnet. You remember, the one that starts, "Dumb da-dumb dumb".

Can't help it this when the program is near bottom but we can see potential that slips away each week.

The only solution is to bring Tom Osborne back. Don't have to pay him much since he is collecting Social Security and he wouldn't want to exceed the income limits. Move Scott Frost to OC and he could learn from the best.
No income limits on SS at his age. So we could pay him billions with no increase in tickets sales according to my Democrat financial advisor.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Because our program seems cursed. The only problem with calling it the Solich curse is that our downfall started with him in Colorado in 2001. This is so exhausting.

I wish more than anything that Osborne hadn’t retired because I think we would have won it all again in 1999. Yet, he retired and bypassed the AD to have a crony hire of Solich. Maybe it should be the ‘Cronyism Curse.’
The only curse is the utter incompetence we've had in the administration when it comes to hiring AD's and coaches.

Reactions: scarletred
Better yet, call it the Bo Pelini curse. He told us we would be sorry when he was gone.
I am not though. If he could have stopped his embarrassing behavior and put actual effort in recruiting, he could have been great. However, his meltdowns continued and he was lazy about recruiting. He had a take it or leave attitude despite peeing his pants in big games, and we ultimately left it when he showed no interest in addressing his issues.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
We were petulant with bo's 9-10 wins every year.
Every golldang year.
What the hell were we thinking?!
What.the.hell....?
(Where would we be? we'd very likely still be in the top 10 for wins in the time since TO retired to congress).

Reactions: TheRealHerky
No curse, just two decades of poor decision-making:
1) Revolving door of head coaches and spinning door of assistant coaches providing zero continuity
2) Changing offensive identities every four years, causing seismic shifts in recruiting focus
3) Old timers in athletic department resisting change at every turn, or retiring on the job
4) Thinking that paying an average coach elite money makes him an elite coach

1) Revolving door of head coaches and spinning door of assistant coaches providing zero continuity
2) Changing offensive identities every four years, causing seismic shifts in recruiting focus
3) Old timers in athletic department resisting change at every turn, or retiring on the job
1 and 2 are biggest

We were petulant with bo's 9-10 wins every year.
Every golldang year.
What the hell were we thinking?!
What.the.hell....?
(Where would we be? we'd very likely still be in the top 10 for wins in the time since TO retired to congress).
Blow's run of 9 win seasons was about to come to a screeching hault.

I think this is a Coca Cola curse. I believe I heard that after our title runs we switched from Coke to Pepsi in the stadium and look what has f'in happened! Also, would be good to try and honor Frank at some point this year just to see if we can break the curse.

I think this is a Coca Cola curse. I believe I heard that after our title runs we switched from Coke to Pepsi in the stadium and look what has f'in happened! Also, would be good to try and honor Frank at some point this year just to see if we can break the curse.
Have him wave at midfield while 2002 highlights play. Sick

Just hire a exorcist priest right after Frost is fired to rid the stadium and facilities of all the evil demons

Blow's run of 9 win seasons was about to come to a screeching hault.
Who TF are you Nostradamus???!! He was well on his way to finishing 10-3 with a win over pass happy USC in a bowl.

This is the kind of rationale people who hated Pelini use 7 years later to justify their idiotic way of thinking! I'm guessing you were one of those who said that a MONKEY could come to Lincoln and win 9-10 games.

Well where's your Monkey pal??!

I'd say we have the opposite problem of #4. Paying an elite coach average money isn't going to work out either. You're never going to attract that coach in the first place doing that. I know this is a conservative state, but coaching salaries don't follow those same ideals.

Reactions: mgbreis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT