ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant Coaches

Well, i realize that but it was Frost who was blastes for doing that as I recall. I know his assistants didn't thrill me at all.
Rhule seems to have a more extensive network of coaches he's been around than Frost. Rhule has been around the block in college and the NFL. Still just 47 years old, same age as Frost. Hopefully he puts a great staff together.

Rhule seems to have a more extensive network of coaches he's been around than Frost. Rhule has been around the block in college and the NFL. Still just 47 years old, same age as Frost. Hopefully he puts a great staff together.
Rhule and frost are the exact same age?

Yep. And like he said, Rhule has a much better network. He has former assistants at jobs like the Steelers, Raiders, Panthers, Georgia, Texas A&M.
For clarity- I am not giving a “like” to the texas A&M portion of this post (yuck)

Rhule has a longer collegiate track record than Frost. Ironically IMO IF Frost hadnt brought Chin with him he probably would have won some of those one score games. Chin was awful. Some of his assistants were pretty good IMO.
So, Frost had how many OC's in his time here? Regardless, Frost was criticized for bringing "his" friends and staff from UCF, now Rhule is doing the same. Just because he has been more places and has potentially more options doesn't take away from the "get the best assistants out there" crowd. It has the appearance of hiring from the group he has worked with in the past which I do understand.

Actually Trev was quite adamant with Rhule as his first choice. Which I don't understand as there were better options out there, but that's who Trev picked.

Who were your better options? Meyer, PrimeTime, Fickel

Who else you got? Genuinely curious

Reactions: baseball31ne
Walters, Lubick, Chinander, Ruud, Dawson, Verduzco, Duval, and Austin sucked
Fisher, Whipple, Raiola, Held, and Tuioti were OK.
Applewhite, Mickey, Beckton, and Busch were good.
I like your list but would bump Whipple up to "sucked". And I'd move Fisher down to "good". I would have suggested moving Held up to sucked, but he recruited fairly well. I didn't like the way a back would have a good game, then be on a milk carton for 3 games.

So you rated your level of excitement with the hiring as a "2"? What would that have made Urban?
I think you and many many others are conflating "excitement" with approval, confidence, like, etc.

rhule's a boring guy. thus, his hire is sort of meh (at least to me) on the excitement scale

yes, I would've rather had Fickell. yes, I would've rather had Prime. those guys are pretty damned exciting for a lot of reasons, football and non-football

urban would've caused a hell of a lot more ruckus, that's for sure. I personally think he's washed & will never coach again because he knows it. I would've hated the hire here and believe he would've flamed out due to some "illness" or another pretty quickly

finally, I will say - boring wins a lot in this league of ours. and our most dominant era wasn't exactly loaded with fireworks. perhaps that bodes well.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think you and many many others are conflating "excitement" with approval, confidence, like, etc.

rhule's a boring guy. thus, his hire is sort of meh (at least to me) on the excitement scale

yes, I would've rather had Fickell. yes, I would've rather had Prime. those guys are pretty damned exciting for a lot of reasons, football and non-football

urban would've caused a hell of a lot more ruckus, that's for sure. I personally think he's washed & will never coach again because he knows it. I would've hated the hire here and believe he would've flamed out due to some "illness" or another pretty quickly

finally, I will say - boring wins a lot in this league of ours. and our most dominant era wasn't exactly loaded with fireworks. perhaps that bodes well.
Actually, my comment had to do with Rhule>Urban and your rating Rhule a "2".

There was no mention of Fickell or Prime. And BTW, I think Fickell is boring as hell. Deion didn't consider the NU job for 2 seconds.

I rated Rhule an "8" because he was in my Top 3 when this search began, due to Urban, Kiffin, and Freeze were not serious candidates/hireable.

Considering some of the last names thrown into the mix were Monken, Doeren, then yes my level of "excitement" was that NU dodged those losers.

On a personal note, I'd like to see Rhule shave and lose those smocks. LOL

So you rated your level of excitement with the hiring as a "2"? What would that have made Urban?
This is the same guy that said he and the big boosters wanted and would all be happy with Mickey because we were doing well against the spread, and he didn't care about actually winning. If that's the case he should love the Matt Rhule hire because he dominates against the spread.

"ESPN first reported — and The World-Herald confirmed — that the Huskers are bringing in Evan Cooper, most recently the cornerbacks coach with the NFL’s Carolina Panthers and someone who has worked with Rhule for all 10 seasons he’s been a head coach.

"Meanwhile, two remaining members of the Panthers staff are leaving their posts effective immediately to join Rhule in Lincoln, according to a report from the Athletic. Those are assistant defensive line coach Terrance Knighton and assistant strength coach Corey Campbell."

Reactions: BleedRed78
On a personal note, I'd like to see Rhule shave and lose those smocks. LOL
Not a huge fan of Rhule's gameday attire but it's going to be better than seeing Frost with his four-day patchy, unshaven face, hat cocked to the side, and glazed eyes making dumb decisions. Frost looked more like me sitting on the couch on a weekend than the head football coach of Nebraska.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Just watched McKeweon's PC wrap video (yeah, I know you guys love him). He mentioned that the rumor is that MJ has asked for a very "lengthy and expensive contract." I hope he stays but I wonder if he might overplay his hand.

Yeah with only a $7 million salary pool to split between 11 assistant coaches, I'm not sure we will be able to pay a position coach seven figures. The Offensive and Defensive coordinators alone will likely command at least $1 million each.

"ESPN first reported — and The World-Herald confirmed — that the Huskers are bringing in Evan Cooper, most recently the cornerbacks coach with the NFL’s Carolina Panthers and someone who has worked with Rhule for all 10 seasons he’s been a head coach.

"Meanwhile, two remaining members of the Panthers staff are leaving their posts effective immediately to join Rhule in Lincoln, according to a report from the Athletic. Those are assistant defensive line coach Terrance Knighton and assistant strength coach Corey Campbell."

Just watched McKeweon's PC wrap video (yeah, I know you guys love him). He mentioned that the rumor is that MJ has asked for a very "lengthy and expensive contract." I hope he stays but I wonder if he might overplay his hand.
In my opinion, Mickey deserves similar money to Larry Johnson Sr. ($1.13 mil/year).

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Yeah with only a $7 million salary pool to split between 11 assistant coaches, I'm not sure we will be able to pay a position coach seven figures. The Offensive and Defensive coordinators alone will likely command at least $1 million each.
Did they say 7? I missed it.

If 7 cmon trev bump it up.

Reactions: headcard

I'm sorry, but you are back peddling now. Literally everything you wrote about Rhule was extremely negative, including personal attacks about his weight and that he spits on himself, which you brought up incessantly.

I'm sorry, but you are back peddling now. Literally everything you wrote about Rhule was extremely negative, including personal attacks about his weight and that he spits on himself, which you brought up incessantly.
It’s a personal attack to observe somebody’s weight? He’s fat (looks like he’s lost weight though)

And there is tons of video of Rhule spitting on himself on the sidelines. He’s even acknowledged it and joked about it. It’s a thing and has been for years

I think it’s super gross

Satterfield will be around 900k.

Elijah Robinson is at 867k right now at tamu. Nebraska will have to at least match it.

Mickey will have to be near 1 mill w/AHC title added. He was at 600k last season.

That’s 2.767 mill already. Most of NU’s staff was around $450k last year.

Seems like they could go spend around $5M for the two Coordinators, plus Mickey and Robinson. Then spend and average of $500K on the rest and land around $8M. You could probably keep Busch on the cheap, which could help.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT