ADVERTISEMENT

Assault Rifles. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you post an article from CNN? lol

CNN's editorializing skews anti-Trump (but not necessarily anti-Republican), which I agree with and I think is very important, but their news stories displaying facts are pretty straight down the middle. This is true of the New York Times, Washington Post, and even the Wall Street Journal, which has one of the most rabidly right-wing editorial pages in the country.

Anyway, I don't want to get too far into this because we're just going to get it locked up.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Just for conversation, what is the purpose of owning an AR?
Officially on my tax returns they are listed as varmint control equipment. Soooo if you ever hear me call anybody a dirty varmint, take cover.:cool:

An AR is like a lego set for those who like guns. You can outfit many firearms but when it comes to the market the AR platforms are the the best to build. AR’s are very popular hog hunting guns as well.

I own one because I like them and thats all that really matters..

Why have a car that goes 180 mph? Why have a beer that is 14 percent alcohol?

There are an estimated 6-7 million modern sporting rifles ( AR type semi auto rifles) in public hands in the USA today. How many are used for wrongful purposes? Is it fair to judge and penalize millions of good people for the actions of a few? If it were, then we should ban pressure cookers. They can be used for bombs, but in the wrong hands they can also be used for poor canning resulting in botulism.

I shoot one because its fun. I work hard and I found something I enjoy on my spare time so I do it. Some people drive a hot rod because its fun. Some people drink a high alcohol craft beer because they enjoy it. Why penalize me or them for the actions of others?

An AR is like a lego set for those who like guns. You can outfit many firearms but when it comes to the market the AR platforms are the the best to build. AR’s are very popular hog hunting guns as well.

I own one because I like them and thats all that really matters..

Amen brother!

Reactions: barney44
Why have a car that goes 180 mph? Why have a beer that is 14 percent alcohol?

There are an estimated 6-7 million modern sporting rifles ( AR type semi auto rifles) in public hands in the USA today. How many are used for wrongful purposes? Is it fair to judge and penalize millions of good people for the actions of a few? If it were, then we should ban pressure cookers. They can be used for bombs, but in the wrong hands they can also be used for poor canning resulting in botulism.

I shoot one because its fun. I work hard and I found something I enjoy on my spare time so I do it. Some people drive a hot rod because its fun. Some people drink a high alcohol craft beer because they enjoy it. Why penalize me or them for the actions of others?

About 2% when you lump all rifle typles in to one...

Several reasons. Recreational shooting, hunting, self defense but most importantly...The Second Amendment. (I know where you are going with this.)

We dominate the world in gun related deaths including the shooting of children, mass shootings, school shootings, gun related suicides, accidental gun related deaths, etc, etc

For the life of me I can't understand why these politicians want to legislate away world dominance in this all important category.

What is the purpose of watching a group of 18-25 year men run up and down a fake grass field 12-14 times a year while they pound the the crap out of each other getting concussions , potential long term brain damage, broken bones, torn ligaments etc?[

We dominate the world in gun related deaths including the shooting of children, mass shootings, school shootings, gun related suicides, accidental gun related deaths, etc, etc

For the life of me I can't understand why these politicians want to legislate away world dominance in this all important category.

Are you saying that it’s better to be stabbed to death?

Several reasons. Recreational shooting, hunting, self defense but most importantly...The Second Amendment. (I know where you are going with this.)
You do know that in most places clean drinking water and electricity is managed and provided by the government. If the government was tyrannical they would just shutdown the waste water and electrical plants. I understand the desire to be armed against a police force or government you may not trust but our nation is way more socialized than you think...a few people live on open land with a water source and solar panels or generators but a vast majority of people live in urban centers that are 1000x more populated than the revolutionary war period. No amount of guns is going to make sure that turbine 25 miles from you is spinning or that river or aquifer 25 miles away is providing you water. I can tell you there was no more armed period in history than the 1930s following world war I and the decadence of the 20s, and dictators still rose to power in many places. 1 million AR15s are sold in this country every year. What makes you so sure that those millions won't be used to take away your freedom? That many guns pretty much guarantees that paramilitary organizations will arise, each with their agendas, and the baseline of society such as free education, assembly, and a free flowing economy will be in jeopardy. I find it interesting that the continent with the history of the most violence, and the most history with armed insurrection, revolution, and world war is also the one with the strictest gun laws today. Like maybe they learned something from the paramilitary organizations storming Berlin, Rome, St. Petersburg, and Moscow.

Are you saying that it’s better to be stabbed to death?

my math may be a bit rusty but yes I am willing to contend that it is better for one or two people to be stabbed to death by a loon with a knife than 10-20 people gunned down by a loon with an AR

CNN's editorializing skews anti-Trump (but not necessarily anti-Republican), which I agree with and I think is very important, but their news stories displaying facts are pretty straight down the middle. This is true of the New York Times, Washington Post, and even the Wall Street Journal, which has one of the most rabidly right-wing editorial pages in the country.

Anyway, I don't want to get too far into this because we're just going to get it locked up.

RollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaugh

You do know that in most places clean drinking water and electricity is managed and provided by the government. If the government was tyrannical they would just shutdown the waste water and electrical plants. I understand the desire to be armed against a police force or government you may not trust but our nation is way more socialized than you think...a few people live on open land with a water source and solar panels or generators but a vast majority of people live in urban centers that are 1000x more populated than the revolutionary war period. No amount of guns is going to make sure that turbine 25 miles from you is spinning or that river or aquifer 25 miles away is providing you water. I can tell you there was no more armed period in history than the 1930s following world war I and the decadence of the 20s, and dictators still rose to power in many places. 1 million AR15s are sold in this country every year. What makes you so sure that those millions won't be used to take away your freedom? That many guns pretty much guarantees that paramilitary organizations will arise, each with their agendas, and the baseline of society such as free education, assembly, and a free flowing economy will be in jeopardy.
Leftist California liberal displaying his constitution-less conscious. Did he hear what Newsom said today? Does he understand that he sits on the boarder with the Mexican cartel with more ****ing guns than the Taliban. Reality is going to hit these these senseless people in the near future, watch!

Reactions: OzzyLvr
my math may be a bit rusty but yes I am willing to contend that it is better for one or two people to be stabbed to death by a loon with a knife than 10-20 people gunned down by a loon with an AR

I think the correct answer is that dead is dead no matter how it was achieved. We average probably around 1500 homicides a year in knife attacks. Rifles and this is all rifles, not just the AR we probably average around 300 a year. More people are beat to death every year, more are killed by way of blunt object and handguns top the list. The rifle is not the reason our numbers are high.

I think the correct answer is that dead is dead no matter how it was achieved. We average probably around 1500 homicides a year in knife attacks. Rifles and this is all rifles, not just the AR we probably average around 300 a year. More people are beat to death every year, more are killed by way of blunt object and handguns top the list. The rifle is not the reason our numbers are high.
2010_homicide_rates_-_gun_versus_non-gun_-_high-income_countries.png

Great responses. My next question would be if I can have an AR, why can’t I get an RPG or C4? or something full auto. If I need an AR to hunt, wouldn’t full auto be better for those that can’t hit shit? If an AR is fun (which they are) wouldn’t an RPG or M2 be more fun?

Thoughts?

We love killing each other and always have. I wonder if we would have ever had a war with a really high casualty rate if that would change our outlook on guns and violence?

this looks true as we nearly lead the world in non-gun related homicides as well

As Americans it looks like collectively we can't control ourselves with guns or other forms of weapons

Reactions: dinglefritz
Great responses. My next question would be if I can have an AR, why can’t I get an RPG or C4? or something full auto. If I need an AR to hunt, wouldn’t full auto be better for those that can’t hit shit? If an AR is fun (which they are) wouldn’t an RPG or M2 be more fun?

Thoughts?

Yeah, sounds reasonable...

We love killing each other and always have. I wonder if we would have ever had a war with a really high casualty rate if that would change our outlook on guns and violence?

I’m doubting it would. We’re still cowboys deep down inside..

So you ban guns and non gun related deaths skyrocket..

Again, you can’t legislate crazy out of crazy..

why haven't non-gun related deaths skyrocketed in those countries that have banned guns?
We lead the world in non-gun related deaths as well

Relax, everyone is being civil and is sharing their views as different as they may be. Is that bad?
Not going to end well trust me. I'm hopeful but have seen too many of these and know how they end.

In the spirit of consistency, I ve seen a lot less political posts get locked.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT