ADVERTISEMENT

As we speak

huskernaut

First Team All-Big Ten
Nov 19, 2002
The ncaa is currently sitting down with the officiating crew for Saturday nights game . This meeting is to remind them of the annual moratorium on holding calls against Wisconsin linemen. Resist the urge to throw the flag, regardless of how obvious the holding occurs. Mix in a phantom hold against nebraska though, to create the illusion that you are actually watching for holding.

The ncaa is currently sitting down with the officiating crew for Saturday nights game . This meeting is to remind them of the annual moratorium on holding calls against Wisconsin linemen. Resist the urge to throw the flag, regardless of how obvious the holding occurs. Mix in a phantom hold against nebraska though, to create the illusion that you are actually watching for holding.
Yup, makes sense to me.
Badgers get the same treatment when we play OSU , Mich, MSU, PSU.
We often win anyway, though lately OSU has been problematic, Urban has made them very good.

The refs are not our problem. We are our problem. Last week against Purdue is a case in point. Yes, Purdue's offensive line frequently got away with holding against our d line on passing plays. But so did we if you watched closely. AND... we would have given up even more passing yards if some of our db's had not gotten away with some blatant holds against their receivers that just went uncalled.

Stop blaming the refs. The bottom line for this Saturday's game is as follows: Wisconsin has a great offensive line and we have a terrible offensive line.

Yup, makes sense to me.
Badgers get the same treatment when we play OSU , Mich, MSU, PSU.
We often win anyway, though lately OSU has been problematic, Urban has made them very good.
Funny you say this. My father-in-law is a Penn State grad and he thought PSU wad screwed for years on calls after joining the league. I hope the league adds a couple more teams so we are less of the new team

Reactions: dinglefritz
Funny you say this. My father-in-law is a Penn State grad and he thought PSU wad screwed for years on calls after joining the league. I hope the league adds a couple more teams so we are less of the new team
I live in PA. I have since 1994. I have been to about 20 PSU games with friends who are huge PSU fans.

90% of PSU fans are:
1. Ignorant of the basic concepts of football
2. Shameless homers
3. Myopic in their vision of the landscape of college football
4. Mean spirited toward other teams and their fans
5. Douche bag assholes on game day to other fans AND to each other.
6. Paranoid whiners who think everyone is out to get them
7. Blamers of others for why they lose (e.g. refs, the league, the media... etc....)

Therefore.... I don't give a shit what PSU fans think of how they were treated when they joined the B1G. My gut says they were treated just fine.

The refs are not our problem. We are our problem. Last week against Purdue is a case in point. Yes, Purdue's offensive line frequently got away with holding against our d line on passing plays. But so did we if you watched closely. AND... we would have given up even more passing yards if some of our db's had not gotten away with some blatant holds against their receivers that just went uncalled.

Stop blaming the refs. The bottom line for this Saturday's game is as follows: Wisconsin has a great offensive line and we have a terrible offensive line.
One problem we can't even hold good enough

People need to remember the most important teams for the big 10 are Ohio wife beater state and Michigan the rest of the schools play second fiddle. IMO no different than Texas except this is a stable conference

Reactions: jeans15

I never said the refs were the problem .this post is mostly in jest because wisky linemen never get called for holding. I'm trying to make light of it....and when you see the first hold not get called....and it should occur on the second or third play on a 75 yard house call....you will laugh, and say that sob was right.

I'm not blaming the refs for anything, I'm merely pointing out their "perfomance problems".

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I never said the refs were the problem .this post is mostly in jest because wisky linemen never get called for holding. I'm trying to make light of it....and when you see the first hold not get called....and it should occur on the second or third play on a 75 yard house call....you will laugh, and say that sob was right.

I'm not blaming the refs for anything, I'm merely pointing out their "perfomance problems".
Ok. Fair enough. Carry on!

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE

I agree we've been playing like dog**** but last Saturday the refs were absolutely terrible. One of the worst called games I've ever seen!

I live in PA. I have since 1994. I have been to about 20 PSU games with friends who are huge PSU fans.

90% of PSU fans are:
2. Shameless homers
7. Blamers of others for why they lose (e.g. refs, the league, the media... etc....)

Therefore.... I don't give a shit what PSU fans think of how they were treated when they joined the B1G. My gut says they were treated just fine.
You just described pretty much every fanbase. Take out 4 and 5 and that's a perfect description of NU fans.

Reactions: PSUPride1
You just described pretty much every fanbase. Take out 4 and 5 and that's a perfect description of NU fans.

Not sure I agree. I think most Husker fans have an above average understanding of the basic concepts of football. You can see it at the games in the crowd reactions. Numerous outsiders have noted how savvy NU fans are to what is going on in a game and what is at stake at any point in the game. They are tuned in. At most of the PSU games I have attended, the fans are either cheering for a great play or booing a bad call. But in between those moments they sit on their asses drinking illegal booze they smuggled in or eating or on their damn iPad. Not tuned in. My wife is a ND grad so I have been to many of their games too. Same bullshit. But go to an NU game and you see fans that are dialed in and know what the hell is going on.

Reactions: husker2612
Not sure I agree. I think most Husker fans have an above average understanding of the basic concepts of football. You can see it at the games in the crowd reactions. Numerous outsiders have noted how savvy NU fans are to what is going on in a game and what is at stake at any point in the game. They are tuned in. At most of the PSU games I have attended, the fans are either cheering for a great play or booing a bad call. But in between those moments they sit on their asses drinking illegal booze they smuggled in or eating or on their damn iPad. Not tuned in. My wife is a ND grad so I have been to many of their games too. Same bullshit. But go to an NU game and you see fans that are dialed in and know what the hell is going on.

I was giving up posting for lent but this thread was interesting. I don't know how to make the call you just did Pennsy, from some of the stuff I read on here, it is hard to back up your conclusions - comparisons maybe.

As for holding, you do realize there are times when it is allowed? Read this article and it explains it pretty well.
https://www.cornnation.com/2010/9/3/1666922/understanding-college-football

I know I posted several in a thread about how recruiting stars were awarded and my guess is five people maybe read them based on comments that were made in later threads. I think it is just easier to have an opinion than read up on the facts. How does the saying go, "ignorance is bliss"?

Reactions: huskerfan66
I thought definitely #2. That's an alright, they're covering before half fist pump.

Dis is what apposing teams used to say about us in the 90s

Fans of an 0-4 team, ranked 101st (4 spots below Kansas!), blaming officiating is just plain sad. Just. Sad.

Wow! Getting excuses out there EARLY! Good job.

I was giving up posting for lent but this thread was interesting. I don't know how to make the call you just did Pennsy, from some of the stuff I read on here, it is hard to back up your conclusions - comparisons maybe.

As for holding, you do realize there are times when it is allowed? Read this article and it explains it pretty well.
https://www.cornnation.com/2010/9/3/1666922/understanding-college-football

I know I posted several in a thread about how recruiting stars were awarded and my guess is five people maybe read them based on comments that were made in later threads. I think it is just easier to have an opinion than read up on the facts. How does the saying go, "ignorance is bliss"?
Interesting read on the cornnatiion article. I have not read a current ncaa football officiating handbook/rules manual. What I would like to know is if, referring to the holding section, is that how"holding" is described specifically or is this how officiating crews are implementing the said rules by choice. I would be surprised if the rules say it's ok to not call holding if it happens on the nonplay side.

They sure call other calls i.e. blocking in the back when it's clearly behind the play and would not have an affect on the play. That's subjective. At anytime the ball carrier could be forced to reverse field.

The ONLY time imo that"holding is allowed" is when your hands are engaged inside the frame of the defender ( have hold of their opponents jersey or shoulder pads when you are engaged head up) . The minute the defender starts to slide and/or either player gets an advantage, you better let go or it's a flag. Not written, but it's impossible to tell if player is being held as long as the offensive player keeps his arms in.

Last edited:

90% of PSU fans are:
2. Shameless homers

Total BS. Perhaps you've had bad experiences and that's unfortunate but your characterization of PSU fans is ignorant and arrogant to say the least.
We played Nebreska a long time ago. I'm an old timer myself so I would ask any folks from the early 80s if they were treated poorly by PSU fans. PSU fans have always, always had a good reputation relative to visiting fans' experiences.
That said in the old days folks had more manners and there were no night games. With night games and folks drinking all day there is no doubt you will have more assholes. Drinking all day = assholes.
No doubt Nebreska fans had to endure assholes back in 2002.
But I've been going to Penn State games for a long time and I've never seen a problem. I see away fans being invited to tailgates and friendly exchanges in the stadium.

Penn St fans still delude themselves into thinking JoePa did nothing wrong. I hope they never win another game again.
Sit in judgement on yourself. Always a good place to start. God knows your delusional and ignorant of the subject your pontificating about.

The refs aren't the problem. Nebraska has been an absolutely brain-dead team so far this season. Or do you think the refs should just overlook a blatant hit out of bounds, or shot to the head of the opposing quarterback.

The blame for being arguably the worst team in college football this season rests squarely on the shoulders of Scott Frost, and the football players. If any of them are still on the team. They may have all transferred already. I haven't checked the news in a few minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT