ADVERTISEMENT

As much as I hate to admit....

moralvictories

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 22, 2022
As much as I hate to admit it, it looks like the ones who claimed that the SEC was better than the other conferences were right. The top 4 SEC teams, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, and Alabama could beat the top teams of any other conferences and they actually proved it on the field by dominating their opponents.

To be honest, Tennessee and Alabama looked to be more deserving of being in the playoffs than TCU.

Probably right, but I do think Michigan and Ohio State can compete week in and out with any of the SEC teams.
Ohio State most definitely. Michigan I believe they can for three quarters, but the speed and the physicality of teams like Georgia will wear down a team like Michigan.

Its what happens when a conference, schools, administration and coaches are dedicated to athletics. There was never a question in the sec if they'd play during covid, they don't worry much about academics, and aren't trying to be more woke than everyone else. It also helps that they have the best athletes and good weather to play all year long in their area.

With a 12 team playoff the SEC will have to prove it more, but it also kinda deflates the regular season a bit, and I'm not 100% sure how I feel about that. Was always something to the loose 1 game situation and you better hope and pray that I liked.
Its hard to argue that Georgia and Alabama are consistently 2 of the best teams. From there I feel like there are a handful of teams that are consistently next best, then a definite drop off.

More deserving...maybe/probably...lost some times.....part of the current process...why the tourney SHOULD be great...
And even if the SEC dominance in the title game continues, first- and second-round victories will be more momentous than any current bowl games played outside the CFP system, even if the winners have little chance of winning it all.

In other words:
"Hey, we beat Oregon in Eugene to advance to the quarterfinals of the 2024 CFP" is more impressive than "Hey, our depleted roster beat Oregon's second team in a meaningless Rose Bowl Game presented by My Pillow."

Reactions: BleedRed78
With a 12 team playoff the SEC will have to prove it more, but it also kinda deflates the regular season a bit, and I'm not 100% sure how I feel about that. Was always something to the loose 1 game situation and you better hope and pray that I liked.
Its hard to argue that Georgia and Alabama are consistently 2 of the best teams. From there I feel like there are a handful of teams that are consistently next best, then a definite drop off.

Sec will have 4 teams in most years with the possibility of a 5th depending on how the 12 are selected...now consider there might be 2 G5 teams.... who stand zero shot....which leaves us with 5 teams for all the other conferences combined...yikes. I underatand the SEC won't always get 5 in, but they'll get 4 for sure...in other words I think this setup will favor the SEC even more IMO.

Reactions: FissionReaction
Probably right, but I do think Michigan and Ohio State can compete week in and out with any of the SEC teams.
Michigan and OSU certainly could have competed with any SEC team this year. It was no fluke that OSU nearly beat Georgia. I think OSU probably should have won that game. And then there's Michigan, the team that beat OSU by over 3 TDs the month prior. They laid an egg against TCU, plain and simple. They choked big time. They were the better team and they allowed TCU to win that game.

best HS players are in the south by a wide margin...Georgia has the easiest recruiting in the entire nation.

Reactions: WHCSC
Sec will have 4 teams in most years with the possibility of a 5th depending on how the 12 are selected...now consider there might be 2 G5 teams.... who stand zero shot....which leaves us with 5 teams for all the other conferences combined...yikes. I underatand the SEC won't always get 5 in, but they'll get 4 for sure...in other words I think this setup will favor the SEC even more IMO.
4 SEC, 2-3 Big Ten, 1-2 from ACC, 1 each from Big XII, Pac-10 and Group of 5, with a possible second from any of those.

This year?
SEC 3 (Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee)
Big Ten 3 (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State)
ACC 1 (Clemson)
Big XII 2 (Kansas State and TCU)
Pac 2 (Utah and USC)
Group of Five 1 (Tulane)

Ohio State most definitely. Michigan I believe they can for three quarters, but the speed and the physicality of teams like Georgia will wear down a team like Michigan.
Ohio State most definitely, but the team that beat them by 3 TDs would probably get worn down by Georgia? I disagree. The way Michigan spanked Ohio State and Penn State this year (by far the 2nd and 3rd best Big teams this year), proves that they had the talent to hang with any SEC team. Their loss to TCU should be noted as one of the biggest choke jobs in a long time - maybe decades.

4 SEC, 2-3 Big Ten, 1-2 from ACC, 1 each from Big XII, Pac-10 and Group of 5, with a possible second from any of those.

This year?
ACC 1 (Clemson)
Pac 2 (Utah and USC)
Group of Five 1 (Tulane)
2021 12-team playoff makeup:
SEC 2 (Georgia, Alabama)
Big Ten 3 (Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State)
ACC 1 (Pitt)
Big XII 3 (Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State)
Pac 1 (Utah)
Independents 1 (Notre Dame)
Group of Five 1 (Cincinnati)

Aside from Georgia, Michigan would be more than competetive in the SEC. I would add Penn State too, maybe not top three, but competetive. I would like to believe we could be back in that discussion at some point.

Ohio State most definitely, but the team that beat them by 3 TDs would probably get worn down by Georgia? I disagree. The way Michigan spanked Ohio State and Penn State this year (by far the 2nd and 3rd best Big teams this year), proves that they had the talent to hang with any SEC team. Their loss to TCU should be noted as one of the biggest choke jobs in a long time - maybe decades.
Perhaps you could argue that Ohio State losing to Michigan was just as big of a choke job as Michigan losing to TCU.

Aside from Georgia, Michigan would be more than competetive in the SEC. I would add Penn State too, maybe not top three, but competetive. I would like to believe we could be back in that discussion at some point.
Georgia appears to be a cut above the rest, although Ohio State has the talent to beat them on any given day. They have the talent, but Georgia has better coaching, that's the difference.

This year?
ACC 1 (Clemson)
Pac 2 (Utah and USC)
Group of Five 1 (Tulane)

Looks reasonable, no argument from me on that list BUT...we are changing a huge variable going forward by tripling the number of teams getting in, so that variable is going to change how voters vote...in the past it didn't matter who was say.....say, 5 through 12, because none of them are getting in...but now that we're going to 12, who's to say voters don't give the SEC teams an adrenaline shot in the final rankings? I also admit I do not know if the criteria for how they decide the 12 is published yet and what that is....if anyone else knows please share.

Reactions: 9and4
Penn St hasn’t beaten anyone in quite some time until they knock off Utah in the Rose bowl..

Reactions: king_kong_
Looks reasonable, no argument from me on that list BUT...we are changing a huge variable going forward by tripling the number of teams getting in, so that variable is going to change how voters vote...in the past it didn't matter who was say.....say, 5 through 12, because none of them are getting in...but now that we're going to 12, who's to say voters don't give the SEC teams an adrenaline shot in the final rankings? I also admit I do not know if the criteria for how they decide the 12 is published yet and what that is....if anyone else knows please share.
It's still gonna be the CFP Selection Committee that makes the choices. That's these 12 men and one woman.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
It's still gonna be the CFP Selection Committee that makes the choices. That's these 12 men and one woman.
It includes Will Shields, the former Husker and Chief. The process on the website:

"The selection committee ranks the teams based on the members’ evaluation of the teams’ performance on the field, using conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and comparison of results against common opponents to decide among teams that are comparable."

Am I the only person here that watched Michigan get beat by TCU? ...and watch TCU put up 51 in the process??
to be fair 14 points were from pick 6's. and the momentum gained from those types of plays are immeasurable. I coached in a game where we trounced a team by 50. No way would we have repeated that had we played them again. Everything went our way. Just saying.

Reactions: moralvictories
I agree the SEC is stronger than the B1G... "For Now"... with the contracts that have been signed and the teams coming in it's caused the entire B1G to take a hard look and there have been huge changes in coaching (NU/WI). The B1G is taking this seriously and should be very competitive to the SEC very soon... and if we look at the "totality" of both conferences I think many could make the case that in short order the B1G will be equally competitive all across the board

They would have beaten 70-75% of the SEC this year, that's all I am saying. They did trounce a bad Auburn team by 4 TD's this past year.
It would be interesting to see how Penn State, the 3rd best team in the B1G would compare to LSU, the 3rd best SEC team that absolutely ran Purdue off the field. I'm not suggesting Penn State would get blown out, but I have a feeling LSU would probably get the win.

As much as I hate to admit it, it looks like the ones who claimed that the SEC was better than the other conferences were right. The top 4 SEC teams, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, and Alabama could beat the top teams of any other conferences and they actually proved it on the field by dominating their opponents.

To be honest, Tennessee and Alabama looked to be more deserving of being in the playoffs than TCU.
Don't think Georgia dominated Ohio St, actually they were very lucky to win. Probably not posting this if Ohio St. makes the FG

Don't think Georgia dominated Ohio St, actually they were very lucky to win. Probably not posting this if Ohio St. makes the FG
Ohio State proved they belonged. With better coaching in the 4th quarter, they could have easily won. As I stated before, Ohio State has the talent to beat Georgia, but they don't have the coaching to beat Georgia.

Its what happens when a conference, schools, administration and coaches are dedicated to athletics. There was never a question in the sec if they'd play during covid, they don't worry much about academics, and aren't trying to be more woke than everyone else. It also helps that they have the best athletes and good weather to play all year long in their area.
Former slave states. They've got the population and mindset...

Reactions: 9and4
Except for the "good weather" part. It's unbearably hot for summer workouts and early fall practices.
Exactly. If the big games were still played outdoors end of season, the SEC would dominate until post season then drop off against teams like Meatchicken and OSU.

But so long as these big time games are played indoors, the advantage is clearly in favor of SEC teams...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT