ADVERTISEMENT

As Frost said, "we're still a 4-8 team until we prove differently".

How could anyone tell that the play calling was bad? Executing plays makes play callers look good. We threw to the wrong receiver on multiple occasions from what I saw. We overthrew a guy on what should have probably been a TD. I don't know how you judge play calling when we had so many lapses in execution be it a high snap, missed block or misguided throw. I never once actually saw Frost call a play when the camera was on him. I think Troy was probably calling the plays. JMHO. Frost has taken responsibility for play calling when things didn't go well but I have yet to see him actually appear to call a play from the sideline.
Frost calls the plays, not Walters. Bad was probably a poor choice of words. But it was definitely much less creative and imaginative than we are accustomed to from this staff. But the point remains, play calling should be the least of out concerns with Coach Frost in town.

Frost calls the plays, not Walters. Bad was probably a poor choice of words. But it was definitely much less creative and imaginative than we are accustomed to from this staff. But the point remains, play calling should be the least of out concerns with Coach Frost in town.
I keep hearing that Frost calls the plays but watch him during the games. I know Frost says he makes the calls. IF he's making the play calls he's should get a dummy and put him on his lap cuz he can talk without moving his lips. That would be hilarious to see on the sideline.:D. Next game I make it to I have to remember to bring my binoculars so I can tell for sure.

wouldn't be the first time a team pared down the playbook during a warmup game

someone astutely pointed out also there were no 'check with me' audibles at the line, either. guessing this game was very scripted offensively and the play calling will be more and more dynamic as we get into the season.

It's been my thought all along. They haven't proven anything on the field and if Saturday is a indication of their progress , then many fans are going to be very unhappy.

How could anyone tell that the play calling was bad? Executing plays makes play callers look good. We threw to the wrong receiver on multiple occasions from what I saw. We overthrew a guy on what should have probably been a TD. I don't know how you judge play calling when we had so many lapses in execution be it a high snap, missed block or misguided throw. I never once actually saw Frost call a play when the camera was on him. I think Troy was probably calling the plays. JMHO. Frost has taken responsibility for play calling when things didn't go well but I have yet to see him actually appear to call a play from the sideline.

True enough sir. With an OLine that couldn't block anybody "and" a center who hiked the ball every where.....I don't know what SF could have done. For some reason our offensive big uglies just weren't ready.

True enough sir. With an OLine that couldn't block anybody "and" a center who hiked the ball every where.....I don't know what SF could have done. For some reason our offensive big uglies just weren't ready.
Frost's press conference today shed some light on it. Cliff's notes from what I heard,:
1. Center snaps made it tough on timing and Adrian being able to get to his reads.
2. Coaches had probably put in too much new stuff for this game. Frost took a good share of the blame for the performance IMO.
3. USA came out in different things than they had expected on defense.
4. Adrian did miss some things that were there. Frost was not happy with his performance but shared a good bit of the blame for not putting him in a better situation to be successful.
5. I really didn't hear much criticism of the O line other than the snaps. Said we missed some creases in the run game due to unfamiliarity with the offense.

Reactions: timnsun
Frost's press conference today shed some light on it. Cliff's notes from what I heard,:
1. Center snaps made it tough on timing and Adrian being able to get to his reads.
2. Coaches had probably put in too much new stuff for this game. Frost took a good share of the blame for the performance IMO.
3. USA came out in different things than they had expected on defense.
4. Adrian did miss some things that were there. Frost was not happy with his performance but shared a good bit of the blame for not putting him in a better situation to be successful.
5. I really didn't hear much criticism of the O line other than the snaps. Said we missed some creases in the run game due to unfamiliarity with the offense.

I don't claim to be a football expert by many country miles but, our O line looks like they couldn't push anyone around out there Saturday.

Reactions: ssmill777
I don't claim to be a football expert by many country miles but, our O line looks like they couldn't push anyone around out there Saturday.
Not knowing for sure who you're supposed to push where will do that to you ESPECIALLY when the timing is thrown off by a snap issue. I think we'll be okay if we can fix the center issues.

Not to harp on the kid in every thread but what about Farniok at RT? Can we get by with below average play there? If im opposing teams Im lining up my pass rushers on the right and letting them loose.
We still have a blocking problem, and will for another year or so if our OLine and SC coaches are a good as we ‘believe’ they are. If they aren’t what we want to believe, it will take longer

What should be worrying people is the lack of leadership on offense and a worrying lack of urgency in fixing problems on the field. It took the coaches an entire half to figure out that our center might need to practice some snaps. Someone on the field should have been in the OLine's grill during that first half, especially Cam's. This was a team, on offense at least, that did not show up ready to play. That is a leadership problem, especially on the field leadership.

The other worrying thing is a serious lack of depth across the offense at many positions.

Exactly.....they didn't look like they were pushing anybody around. Heck.....I don't know.

Not knowing for sure who you're supposed to push where will do that to you ESPECIALLY when the timing is thrown off by a snap issue. I think we'll be okay if we can fix the center issues.

I hope so partner......I hope so!

Exactly.....they didn't look like they were pushing anybody around. Heck.....I don't know.
I went back and rewatched the game and tried to focus on the line. We didn't have a great push but a lot of the time we were just outnumbered. So not quite as bad as what I thought initially but it still wasn't good.

I went back and rewatched the game and tried to focus on the line. We didn't have a great push but a lot of the time we were just outnumbered. So not quite as bad as what I thought initially but it still wasn't good.

This is why I have such a problem with this line "Then there was the film of a Colorado player twisting Martinez's ankle at the end of the play, which arguably cost the Huskers not one but two victories" from Robin's article on the home page. 10 things we learned from Frost press conference article. I understand he says "arguably" but there is nothing to me that happened the rest of that game and the couple weeks after that lead me to believe the outcome of games would have been different last year. Completely get we are on a Nebraska site, but to say that seems a bit over-the-top considering the results.

Anyway, hopefully at the end of the game this year all the talk will be about the quality of football and not an injury.

Last edited:
Frost did comment in his press conference that USA brought a bunch of people in to the box. They thought that would probably be the case but I don't think they were very prepared for how they did it.

Frost did comment in his press conference that USA brought a bunch of people in to the box. They thought that would probably be the case but I don't think they were very prepared for how they did it.

Which made me wonder where the:

• bubble screens
  • WR screens
  • sweep plays
Instead they stubbornly tried to force feed Mills into that stack.

Setting up 3rd and long.

Playcalling suckd but I wonder if they scripted a different, toned-down scheme

Which made me wonder where the:

• bubble screens
  • WR screens
  • sweep plays
Instead they stubbornly tried to force feed Mills into that stack.

Setting up 3rd and long.

Playcalling suckd but I wonder if they scripted a different, toned-down scheme
The game plan was devised for a totally different defensive approach than what they got according to Frost. USA had an entire off season to try to figure out a way to shock the world with a win on the road at Nebraska. It's also the 2nd year of their new coaching staff so they were bound to be better. With so many new starters and young players, it was probably tough to adjust on the fly to some of it. There's no way Mills knows the whole play book.

Reactions: SkerInCo
We had a freshman center playing his first game after limited practice. Snaps and timing were off but I’m guessing his reads were off and slow as well, which will affect the whole offensive line. Give it time. They’ll get better and we’ll be fine.
I get what you're saying, but I'm thinking from what I saw - Jurgens and W. Farniok are going to get abused a lot when we start playing conference teams. Poor AM is going to be running for his life, I'm afraid.

Looked to me like we were a 4-8 team yesterday. It will be interesting to see how much we improve between now and next weekend. It was obvious to me that we're a MUCH better offense with Washington in the game.

Agree, I thought Mills would be a better version of Zig. He doesn't appear to have the speed or one cut ability as Zig had. Granted it was 1 game and the O-line sucked. I think Mills might be more of short yardage guy vs an every down back. Washington looks to be the quicker fits Frosts style on offense.

Defenses in the Big 10 will replicate what South freaking Alabama did hoping AM won't find the open guy most of the time again. Martinez needs to prove me wrong to get this team to the CCG. I hope he does.

Defenses in the Big 10 will replicate what South freaking Alabama did hoping AM won't find the open guy most of the time again. Martinez needs to prove me wrong to get this team to the CCG. I hope he does.
Literally no coach in this conference is that dumb. Nobody is all of a sudden going to think that Martinez is a dropback, stay in the pocket, stare down receivers player that can't make reads or scramble. Lol at the thought.

IMO, Mills didn't show the vision that Washington has and Mills has nowhere near the burst. Mazour played a bunch IMO because he knows the whole package. Wandale at RB nearly got AM killed by missing a blitz pick up on one play. Mazour would have made that play. When people question why a guy like Mazour plays over a talented newcomer, they just need to watch that video. Washington's playing IMO unless he winds up in jail because he's OBVIOUSLY the best guy we've had back there in a long time.
I agree..he is by far the best guy we have. Mills looked like he lacked vision and patience. I was dissapointed honestly...he will not be able to truck whole teams in the big ten..we arent playing iowa central. Im interested to see if either freshman will get a shot at carries.

Literally no coach in this conference is that dumb. Nobody is all of a sudden going to think that Martinez is a dropback, stay in the pocket, stare down receivers player that can't make reads or scramble. Lol at the thought.

He was last weekend.

watch out......
4d9d44ff5b527bfb2efadee086179dec.gif

This is why I have such a problem with this line "Then there was the film of a Colorado player twisting Martinez's ankle at the end of the play, which arguably cost the Huskers not one but two victories" from Robin's article on the home page. 10 things we learned from Frost press conference article. I understand he says "arguably" but there is nothing to me that happened the rest of that game and the couple weeks after that lead me to believe the outcome of games would have been different last year. Completely get we are on a Nebraska site, but to say that seems a bit over-the-top considering the results.

Anyway, hopefully at the end of the game this year all the talk will be about the quality of football and not an injury.
Totally missed this, and probably won’t get a response either… But to your question how is it that this one play forced arguably two losses against the huskers, we didn’t have our starting quarterback in the lineup against northern Illinois the following week. He did not play at all. Instead, we had to settle for a walk on backup QB. You seriously don’t see the difference?

ADVERTISEMENT