ADVERTISEMENT

As a teen, I used to love to watch Harry Carey and the Chicago Cubs on WGN

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
lose to the Reds on a regular basis. Eff yeah! GO REDS!

B90RCNP.jpg

B90RCNP.jpg
yeah. It's all the baseball I could get on cable for a number of years. Andre Dawson baby. I became a Twins fan when we lived in Rochester MN and they won the series. I would take my oldest son up and we'd sit behind the plexiglass and watch Puckett and Gladden make leaping catches in front of us. You could get a GA ticket back then to sit there for 5 bucks.

The Cubs got Harry Caray from the White Sox, who got him from the Cardinals. I grew up a White Sox fan living on the South Side.

One of my favorite Harry Caray calls was, "ooooh, did he make em look sick on that one"

Reactions: king_kong_

B90RCNP.jpg
I became a Cubs fan in 1983 while a teenager watching the broadcast with Harry Caray and Steve Stone on WGN. It was a heartbreaking to lose the 1984 NLCS to the Padres to take on the Tigers in the World Series.

I love the old iconic baseball parks like Wrigley Field and unfortunately we are losing them all in the name of building bigger and more shiny things that bring in more dollars or increase a clubs value. I wish some clubs owners would go back to building replicas of some of the iconic fields that have gone by the wayside over the years. Thank goodness we still have Wrigley and Fenway and to a certain extent Dodger stadium, baseball needs to preserve it's history and that starts with it's playing venues.

I was a Cubs and Twins fan. Family had a cabin in MN. Cubs were all I could watch back in the day. Seeing HC all drunked up by the 7th inning was hilarious.
yeah. It's all the baseball I could get on cable for a number of years. Andre Dawson baby. I became a Twins fan when we lived in Rochester MN and they won the series. I would take my oldest son up and we'd sit behind the plexiglass and watch Puckett and Gladden make leaping catches in front of us. You could get a GA ticket back then to sit there for 5 bucks.

Harry had an interesting professional career and a complicated personal life. One of his daughters is a family friend.
Cue the “I don’t believe you” replies. 😕. We have a diverse group of posters on here with a wide circle of experiences and connections. It’s an interesting group.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Man was a beast. Would start drinking at lunch. Drink during the baseball game. Then head out and hit 4-5 bars. Getting drunk everyday and making it to 84.. what a pro

Reactions: 8990
That's the year I became a Braves fan. My mom tried to get me to root for the twins bc my grandma lived in Minnesota. Trying to be funny I rooted for the Braves. Then found out next season the Braves where on TV almost every night. Still a fan to this day.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Cue the “I don’t believe you” replies. 😕. We have a diverse group of posters on here with a wide circle of experiences and connections. It’s an interesting group.
I was a real MLB fan back in the 60's. Initially, I loved the Dodgers with Koufax, Drysdale and that group. Used to sit in jr. high class with a transistor radio wired to my ear and listen to the World Series since they were all day game back then.

Later, I became a St. Louis fan and was able to stomach that drunken bum since the only way to get the Cardinal games was on KMOX in St. Louis. Usually about the 7th inning I would lose the signal then wait til the next day to see who actually won. Those were the days.

Like many older, real baseball fans, I could name the starting 8 for about any National League team. They were constants with very little trades back until Curt Flood and the free agency thing began to ruin the sport. Now, I probably can't name 10 players in all of MLB. The final dagger for me was the steroid era with Bonds, McGwire and that fraud Sammy Sosa, and many, many, many others.

I see the same process in college football, where team loyalty among players is losing ground every year. I'm hoping I don't lose the appeal for the college game that I really love to watch, but I think that's where we're headed.

I was a real MLB fan back in the 60's. Initially, I loved the Dodgers with Koufax, Drysdale and that group. Used to sit in jr. high class with a transistor radio wired to my ear and listen to the World Series since they were all day game back then.

Later, I became a St. Louis fan and was able to stomach that drunken bum since the only way to get the Cardinal games was on KMOX in St. Louis. Usually about the 7th inning I would lose the signal then wait til the next day to see who actually won. Those were the days.

Like many older, real baseball fans, I could name the starting 8 for about any National League team. They were constants with very little trades back until Curt Flood and the free agency thing began to ruin the sport. Now, I probably can't name 10 players in all of MLB. The final dagger for me was the steroid era with Bonds, McGwire and that fraud Sammy Sosa, and many, many, many others.

I see the same process in college football, where team loyalty among players is losing ground every year. I'm hoping I don't lose the appeal for the college game that I really love to watch, but I think that's where we're headed.
My friend Dick Green was assigned Reggie Jackson as his roommate Reggie’s rookie year. Dick has tremendous stories about those A teams. Got to have cocktails with a bunch of those guys. Those series were probably my first real memories of watching baseball on TV because we didn’t get many games on TV.

My friend Dick Green was assigned Reggie Jackson as his roommate Reggie’s rookie year. Dick has tremendous stories about those A teams. Got to have cocktails with a bunch of those guys. Those series were probably my first real memories of watching baseball on TV because we didn’t get many games on TV.
I have to admit, other than Don Drysdale the absolute biggest prick I've ever met in MLB was Reggie Jackson when he was with the A's. Al Kaline of the Tigers was a close third, and the nicest guy I ever met was Harmon Killebrew of the Twins. Helluva nice dude and as wide as my office door. LOL

Just out of curiosity why aren’t you a Texans fan… easy bandwagon to jump on after their World Series W
I've rooted for the Rangers since I moved to Texas in 1984. However, my first team is the Cincinnati Reds. I'm not a bandwagon fan. It used to be that they were in different leagues and never played each other. We know all about today.

I have to admit, other than Don Drysdale the absolute biggest prick I've ever met in MLB was Reggie Jackson when he was with the A's. Al Kaline of the Tigers was a close third, and the nicest guy I ever met was Harmon Killebrew of the Twins. Helluva nice dude and as wide as my office door. LOL
Dick agreed with your sentiments about Reggie.

The Cubs got Harry Caray from the White Sox, who got him from the Cardinals. I grew up a White Sox fan living on the South Side.

One of my favorite Harry Caray calls was, "ooooh, did he make em look sick on that one"

Always enjoyed the White Sox announcers. “He gone”. And “a can of corn”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT