ADVERTISEMENT

Article on why NU is staying in Big 10....

Last edited:
Dumb column. Was NU ever considering leaving?
No, but their was a 3 page argument on this board over another article that thought NU should go back and some POT STIRRERS like Tulsa Tom said that NU had made a huge mistake on leaving the Big 12. I along with MANY others said that will NEVER happen because of a certain school in Austin trying to run EVERYTHING.

The fact that LB includes basketball in his article is strange at best. Big 12 basketball isn't all that exciting. Your attendance for basketball has never been better (bigger arena a part of that).

Distance to away venues I am sure is an issue but Kansas State/Iowa State are not that appealing from a national perspective. Maybe Kansas will be in the conference down the road.

No, but their was a 3 page argument on this board over another article that thought NU should go back and some POT STIRRERS like Tulsa Tom said that NU had made a huge mistake on leaving the Big 12. I along with MANY others said that will NEVER happen because of a certain school in Austin trying to run EVERYTHING.

That explains why you are posting the link here, but it doesn't explain why the article was ever written, however. No chance NU was ever even considering leaving the BIG.

The fact that LB includes basketball in his article is strange at best. Big 12 basketball isn't all that exciting. Your attendance for basketball has never been better (bigger arena a part of that).

Distance to away venues I am sure is an issue but Kansas State/Iowa State are not that appealing from a national perspective. Maybe Kansas will be in the conference down the road.

Barfy cites that NU fans miss road trips to KU, K-State, Iowa State and Mizzou. I guess he just forgot that Missouri is now in the SEC. Kansas State fans regularly fill their stadium without the help of Big Red.

That explains why you are posting the link here, but it doesn't explain why the article was ever written, however. No chance NU was ever even considering leaving the BIG.

But that wouldn't allow how to make himself the focus of the article -- how he can show up and Dallas and all his sportswriter buddies miss him. I'm assuming that the OWH sent him to Dallas on behalf of the whatever contingent of Iowa State supporters read his paper.

So instead of examining what Boren should be pursuing as an endgame (a better conference for the Sooners) or why Iowa State is ****ed no matter what happens -- you get this lazy article.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Perhaps this is just another self-serving article written for the "greatest fans in college football."

Who when they had the chance to fill Lucas Oil Field in 2012, left 25,000 empty seats.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong, though. Perhaps this is just another self-serving article written for the "greatest fans in college football."

Who when they had the chance to fill Lucas Oil Field in 2012, left 25,000 empty seats.
Wow, you really zinged us with that one... There was an actual game where we didn't travel well. Thanks for pointing that out!

So what team do you support? Just curious, as it isn't obvious by your handle.

I support NU.

Barfy suggests that if Nebraska fans were allowed to vote, they would choose to return to the Big XII.

That must mean he thinks the majority of Husker fans are really dumb. You know, he's probably right.

A majority of Husker fans probably believe that you can keep firing coaches who win 70% of their games, and coaches at other schools will be fighting to submit their resumes for the same opportunity.

Of course they will! Because we used to travel well to Ames and Lawrence.

Seriously, who would willingly return to a conference with a shitty TV deal that forces them to travel to conference away games? NU fans, apparently, because they want to relive the 70s and 80s.

The Big Eight is gone. Nebraska has a proud history as a member. But that conference is gone. Move on.

Last edited:
Barfy cites that NU fans miss road trips to KU, K-State, Iowa State and Mizzou. I guess he just forgot that Missouri is now in the SEC. Kansas State fans regularly fill their stadium without the help of Big Red.

But that wouldn't allow how to make himself the focus of the article -- how he can show up and Dallas and all his sportswriter buddies miss him. I'm assuming that the OWH sent him to Dallas on behalf of the whatever contingent of Iowa State supporters read his paper.

So instead of examining what Boren should be pursuing as an endgame (a better conference for the Sooners) or why Iowa State is ****ed no matter what happens -- you get this lazy article.

Who when they had the chance to fill Lucas Oil Field in 2012, left 25,000 empty seats

Bwahahah, you are so butt hurt over your Bo. I can say I wish I was one of the many that didn't go to Lucas Oil Field...unfortunately I made the trip and watched Bo do what Bo does. I think Wisconsin just scored again.

Bwahahah, you are so butt hurt over your Bo. I can say I wish I was one of the many that didn't go to Lucas Oil Field...unfortunately I made the trip and watched Bo do what Bo does. I think Wisconsin just scored again.

Yeah, I was there too. The Fox production truck did their best to help Jim Delany hide all the empty seats.

But you say you wish you hadn't gone? I'm not surprised. NU has become a fan base that only supports the team when they're winning or when it's convenient. But maybe it's always been that way. That sentiment was just easier to hide when the team used to win more.

Pretty much what most everyone is thinking when reading this thread. Still pining for Bo. Thank God that cancer is gone. "I think Wisconsin just scored again."

Yeah, I was there too. The Fox production truck did their best to help Jim Delany hide all the empty seats.

But you say you wish you hadn't gone? I'm not surprised. NU has become a fan base that only supports the team when they're winning or when it's convenient. But maybe it's always been that way. That sentiment was just easier to hide when the team used to win more.
And yet memorial stadium is still full despite the Callahan years and a coach who said "FU" to the entire fanbase! Oh yeah...I wish I didn't go after seeing Bo poop his pants again. But seeing his face while he ran off the field at halftime was probably worth the money! Poor Bo.

Barfy suggests that if Nebraska fans were allowed to vote, they would choose to return to the Big XII.
Nonsense. I have never seen any poll that shows anything like that. These people who are raising this issue are raising an issue that the fanbase isn't talking about except a few malcontents. The thought that a majority of our fanbase would want to uproot us again just 5 years after moving is ludicrous.

Reactions: timnsun
Nonsense. I have never seen any poll that shows anything like that. These people who are raising this issue are raising an issue that the fanbase isn't talking about except a few malcontents. The thought that a majority of our fanbase would want to uproot us again just 5 years after moving is ludicrous.

Agree. Especially if your job (as a malcontent) is maintaining subscribers to a dying media form. You'll say all sorts of crazy shit to keep them entertained.

<---- (hence the screen name)

I support NU.

That must mean he thinks the majority of Husker fans are really dumb. You know, he's probably right.

A majority of Husker fans probably believe that you can keep firing coaches who win 70% of their games, and coaches at other schools will be fighting to submit their resumes for the same opportunity.

Of course they will! Because we used to travel well to Ames and Lawrence.

Seriously, who would willingly return to a conference with a shitty TV deal that forces them to travel to conference away games? NU fans, apparently, because they want to relive the 70s and 80s.

The Big Eight is gone. Nebraska has a proud history as a member. But that conference is gone. Move on.

70% winning percentage at Nebraska isn't good enough, and it's the same at every other blue blood school in college football.

70% winning percentage at Nebraska isn't good enough, and it's the same at every other blue blood school in college football.
Agree.

I love how those who complain about firing a 9 win coach act as if said 9 win coach won anything of note. The issue wasn't the wins... This has been said over and over. It was the horrible losses and the bad mojo the coach was sowing... Were they fine with the blowout losses and the bad representation from the head coach?

If westomahafirstworldproblems can't see that, well, don't know what else to say.

Dumb column. Was NU ever considering leaving?

Of course not; that's his point.

But, conference affiliation is so much larger than just "Texas" or driving distance for football fans. The Board of Regents actually cares about more than than athletics, and those factors weigh heavily for staying in the Big 10. To even consider a Big 12 return would be nonsensical.

Last edited:
Agree.

I love how those who complain about firing a 9 win coach act as if said 9 win coach won anything of note. The issue wasn't the wins... This has been said over and over. It was the horrible losses and the bad mojo the coach was sowing... Were they fine with the blowout losses and the bad representation from the head coach?

If westomahafirstworldproblems can't see that, well, don't know what else to say.

Who's complaining? Shawn Eichorst said when he fired Pelini that he made the decision based on (his words) -- the games that matter.

So we should all look forward to Mike Riley winning those games that matter.

Did Eichorst say which ones those were? The games that matter?

Who's complaining? Shawn Eichorst said when he fired Pelini that he made the decision based on (his words) -- the games that matter.

So what was your old username? I would think one of you h3 knob-slobbers that claim to be such stand-up guys would fill us all in. But I am guessing you will lie. Typical.

These are your words, omahafirstworld...

Maybe you aren't complaining here, but it sure sounds like it.

Just checked again....yep, those horses (BP & Conf re-alignment) are still dead. Move along...

GBR

These are your words, omahafirstworld...

Maybe you aren't complaining here, but it sure sounds like it.

It's not complaining. It's an observation.

I posted in the thread because I read Barf's column this morning and I thought it was a lazy, dumb article.

He postulated that a majority of Nebraska fans would prefer NU still remained in the Big XII -- mostly so that fans could retain historical fan migrations -- naming one that's now impossible and another that's improbable. I don't believe NU fans are that stupid, but apparently he does.

The Big XII in its present state isn't the Big Eight of the 70s and 80s, where the nostalgia lies. Likewise, most fans no longer (have to) travel to see the Huskers play because every game is on television. That's not a criticism, it's the reality. If you're going to pine for nostalgia, then you need to take all that goes with it.

However, I do believe that if in five years Riley ONLY matches the win column success of Solich and Pelini, he'll be seen as a failure, and the Omaha and Lincoln media will convince Husker fans that they "deserve" another round of firing and reloading. A place like Nebraska simply can't allow itself to get into that kind of cycle. The historical advantages the program has had simply won't exist. Most of them are gone already.

Shawn Eichorst set the bar for retaining coaches based on winning games that matter. Those are his words. We'll see if he means it.

Last edited:

How many other coaches won 70% of their games and only had a Whale Trophy to show for it? How many of those coaches had to be publically reprimanded due to their embarrassing actions on the field? How many of those coaches told their fanbases FU?

How many other coaches won 70% of their games and only had a Whale Trophy to show for it? How many of those coaches had to be publically reprimanded due to their embarrassing actions on the field? How many of those coaches told their fanbases FU?

Just the one that got fired for never winning anything of substance, having multiple blowout losses each year and being a total a-hole to the very school and fan base he professed to love. Buh-bye.

According to the Penn State inner cabal Board of Mis trust responding to the Paterno law suit against the NCAA that will soon pay out in untold millions of dollars and a full public apology to the greatest coach in college football history ( already proven innocent by consent decree rescinded ), JoePa was never fired. He was ( get this ) quietly removed to avoid distraction because Penn State was playing Nebraska !!

The total joke that is the Penn State Board actually said they didn't fire JoePa in court !!

And I still can't stop laughing !!

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

Not that it will matter much what this Hawkeye has to say on the Husker board but I think its fair to say that Nebraska has proved the much better addition to the Big10 than Penn State has ever proved to be.

Says the person who has complained a ton in this thread.

Quit talking out of both sides of your mouth.

What other schools in the last fifteen years have fired coaches who won 70% of their games? Can you name them?

And no, Joe Paterno doesn't count.

You would think that these coaches who won 70% of their games at Nebraska, a place with such overzealous fans and media with unreasonable expectations according to you, would be in high demand. Instead, one ended up at Ohio and the other is at Youngstown State.

Calling us fairweather fans? That's just laughable considering our home game attendance, especially during the annual 4-loss seasons during the Pelini era that felt like reruns of each other and the two losing seasons during the Callahan era. Nice to see you cherry pick one game where our presence wasn't up to par and make a broad generalization not supported by other evidence.

ADVERTISEMENT