ADVERTISEMENT

Are you okay with Nebraska not being a contender?

ehenningsen

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Nov 18, 2004
omaha
I know that most of you will say No. Im certain that a few will find this thread to be great trolling grounds. But ive heard enough of our fans 'not' care about these things for me to want to gauge your interest.

I completely understand that i am polling a special sample here and there is a major participation bias and a lack of proper distribution to a more representative population. That said, this is still a good measuring stick. Becauseif the fanatical base doesnt care as much, then we are on a slippery slope.

Thanks!

I've been apathetic under the past regime at times, however changing the staff has re-invigorated me I guess. I'm still very upset at how far it feels like we have fallen under the radar. It's been far too long now. We need to start getting it done now.

The only thing that matters is having a head football coach who fully appreciates the privilege of serving The Greatest Fans in College Football.

I think most Nebraska fans would prefer a coach with a record of 93-80 WHO SAYS HE APPRECIATES BEING HERE, versus a coach who goes 255-49-3, but secretely loathes the fan base.

The only thing that matters is having a head football coach who fully appreciates the privilege of serving The Greatest Fans in College Football.

I think most Nebraska fans would prefer a coach with a record of 93-80 WHO SAYS HE APPRECIATES BEING HERE, versus a coach who goes 255-49-3, but secretely loathes the fan base.

Oh. So you are somehow privileged to know for certain that Osborne 'loathed' Nebraska fans.

If it reaches the point where we look like we won't ever be contenders we need to just get rid of football. I'd rather not have a team than be a perennial middling program.

If it reaches the point where we look like we won't ever be contenders we need to just get rid of football. I'd rather not have a team than be a perennial middling program.

That begs the question can we be contenders again? If a million isn't enough for recruiting, will two million get the job done? If we recruit players that would fit in at SMU or New Mexico State, would two million, or four million, or x million even matter. From what I read of the last coaching search, my interpretation was we would spend whatever it took to get the best head coach here. Is Mike Riley the best head coach, in this case, he appears to be the only applicant interviewed for the job.

I chose "no" for the poll. Can Riley and staff make us contenders, we'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: Nebraska Gator II
Rather than have a poll question that leads to confirmation bias, perhaps just state something like "I think our fan base is becoming apathetic, and I don't like it." As stated your poll question is a thinly veiled shot at others. Frankly, if you feel like our fan base now settles for mediocrity, that's misguided at best. IMHO the problem is that it's 2015, and not 1995, 1985, or 1971. Things change. College football has changed a lot. In this era of competition no one team will dominate with the kind of consistency (almost 30 freaking years) we were all used to and spoiled by. Does my understanding of that make me apathetic? No. Does it temper my expectations and disappointments when we lose football games? It most surely does.

Let's put down our Walkmans, take the parachute pants to Goodwill, and join the rest of the world in 2015.

Cripes.

Rather than have a poll question that leads to confirmation bias, perhaps just state something like "I think our fan base is becoming apathetic, and I don't like it." As stated your poll question is a thinly veiled shot at others. Frankly, if you feel like our fan base now settles for mediocrity, that's misguided at best. IMHO the problem is that it's 2015, and not 1995, 1985, or 1971. Things change. College football has changed a lot. In this era of competition no one team will dominate with the kind of consistency (almost 30 freaking years) we were all used to and spoiled by. Does my understanding of that make me apathetic? No. Does it temper my expectations and disappointments when we lose football games? It most surely does.

Let's put down our Walkmans, take the parachute pants to Goodwill, and join the rest of the world in 2015.

Cripes.

Quite amazing as to the level of detail you let yourself get into on just pure paranoia-based speculation. Goodness brother, i am not that bad of a person.

the problem is that it's 2015, and not 1995, 1985, or 1971. Things change. College football has changed a lot. In this era of competition no one team will dominate with the kind of consistency (almost 30 freaking years) we were all used to and spoiled by. Does my understanding of that make me apathetic? No. Does it temper my expectations and disappointments when we lose football games? It most surely does.

But you know what hasn't changed? Every game in Lincoln since 1962 has been a sell-out.
ADSE certainly knew that wasn't going to continue under a head coach who showed contempt for the program (i.e., tolerating blowouts) and who berated the local media as well as Greatest Fans in College Football.

He hated us and he couldn't win the games that matter. A change was LONG overdue.

Last edited:
Riley gets a lot of good will because he is really a nice guy. I am curious to see how much good will he receives if he goes 5-7 here...or has losing seasons 3 of the next 5 years.

We were so close under Po Belini of getting over the hump. HCMR will get us there.

I hope Smokin

I'm sure you're speaking of 2009, because we haven't been close to getting it done since then. And no, leading Oklahoma and then completely collapsing was not close to getting it done.

Reactions: sparky62
Isn't the goal to be a champion? If it looks like there is something very positive to build on, I'm fine with some losses. But nobody knows what we got here and I wish people would stop speculating---waste of time if you ask me. I get trying to understand coaching philosophy, characteristics of the program and players, but we don't know jack about how that all translates to wins and losses. Hope for the best....

Riley gets a lot of good will because he is really a nice guy. I am curious to see how much good will he receives if he goes 5-7 here...or has losing seasons 3 of the next 5 years.

Osborne was a good guy. Riley will have to succeed. That's the bottom line. I'm not saying he won't get a few years grace. He will. He can't fall on his ass and he can't be mediocre. It is what it is. This is NEBRASKA! We have high expectations.

GO BIG RED!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT