ADVERTISEMENT

Are you impressed by the offers most of our recruits have received?

i think the coaches are good evaluators, so the recruits offer list has less meaning than usual

I like the recruits we have so far. I just hope we start adding more soon, and don't end up with a Pelini-esque small class where we give the extra scholarships to walk-ons.

Bottom line is this, if we don't start consistently getting top 15 classes then we'll forever be a shitty program as we've been since T.O. Retired. Hate all you want but facts are facts. In my opinion Riley isn't the type of coach that can close in on top 15 classes either. Blah

Didn't see any facts in your post. Just opinions.

Bottom line is this, if we don't start consistently getting top 15 classes then we'll forever be a shitty program as we've been since T.O. Retired. Hate all you want but facts are facts. In my opinion Riley isn't the type of coach that can close in on top 15 classes either. Blah

I'd wait until one more recruiting season is in the books before I made that sweeping claim. This is his first full cycle, let's give him say....one more? Before we draw those kinds of conclusions.

For the record, recruiting is important. One doesn't have to look further than the championship game between Bama and Clemson to recognize that speed and overall athleticism is necessary - and from my untrained eye, Nebraska is woefully short of the total team speed and athleticism shown by Bama and Clemson.

That said, I believe Riley is in the process of going after (and hopefully soon to land) the right kind of guys, and I also think there is a train of thought that says really good developers can overcome recruiting classes outside of the top 10. During the Pelini years, we had neither. We had a guy who recruited in the 20s and didn't have the coaching acumen to develop what he had.

Impressed? Not overly impressed...yet. We need to consider the entire haul in a few weeks.
I try to be cautiously optimistic, but gut instinct tells me to be prepared for "meh".

Didn't see any facts in your post. Just opinions.
A stat I saw that was bit eyeopening is that in "The Rivals Era" there hasn't been a single National Champion that didn't have either one #1 class or two #2 classes (as ranked by Rivals) on their team.

A stat I saw that was bit eyeopening is that in "The Rivals Era" there hasn't been a single National Champion that didn't have either one #1 class or two #2 classes (as ranked by Rivals) on their team.
This. Since the playoff era every NC has been in the top 10 all 4 years. I know this board loves kids with heart but stars matter. Facts are facts.

Reactions: blackbones
What do you think of our current recruits' other offers?

Before I could answer that question, I would need to know with 100% certainty the circumstances involving at least two of our recruits/past commits from this year. I would hate to jump to any conclusions about what an "offer" really means.

Brandon Drayton and Aphonso Thomas.

Good grief there are people concerned about the offer lists of some of our recruits yet there is an entire thread earlier about how we need to offer a local kid ASAP who's only offers are from Wyoming and the Dakota schools

Last edited:
Reactions: kakdawg and timnsun
This. Since the playoff era every NC has been in the top 10 all 4 years. I know this board loves kids with heart but stars matter. Facts are facts.

Stars only go so far when not every kid is evaluated the same. It's easy to follow Alabama around and slap some stars to their recruits or look at offer lists and hand out some more stars. There was a lowly 3 star kid several years back that was offered by USC and that same day he was upgraded to a 4 star player.

Do you want to know what matters? Coaching matters most no matter how much people want to think it's the jimmies and joes. Nick Saban is a great coach, Urban Meyer is a great coach. Pete Carroll is a great coach, etc. Those 3 have dominated college football this century.

Coaching matters most no matter how much people want to think it's the jimmies and joes.

LOL, no.

Coaching matters, but talent matters more. Why didn't Nick Saban dominate at Michigan State? Bill Snyder is one of the very best CFB coaches ever, but talent level puts a ceiling on his success that even great evaluation, development, schemes, and gameplans can't overcome.

Feel free to provide the long list of national champions that didn't send substantial numbers of players to the NFL.

Nick Saban is a great coach, Urban Meyer is a great coach. Pete Carroll is a great coach, etc. Those 3 have dominated college football this century.

And all three have had tremendous talent at their disposal.

Good grief there are people complaining about the offer lists of some of our recruits yet there is an entire thread earlier about how we need to offer a local kid ASAP who's only offers are from Wyoming and the Dakota schools

This is what you consider an entire thread of complaining? Are sprinkles a hurricane? Flurries a blizzard? Is 60 degrees a heat wave or an ice age?

Impressed? Not overly impressed...yet. We need to consider the entire haul in a few weeks.
I try to be cautiously optimistic, but gut instinct tells me to be prepared for "meh".

It does say "current" recruits...

LOL, no.

Coaching matters, but talent matters more. Why didn't Nick Saban dominate at Michigan State? Bill Snyder is one of the very best CFB coaches ever, but talent level puts a ceiling on his success that even great evaluation, development, schemes, and gameplans can't overcome.

Feel free to provide the long list of national champions that didn't send substantial numbers of players to the NFL.

How did Nick Saban not win at Michigan State? Seems to me he improved them in his short stay there. Nick Saban took a dumpster fire at LSU and turned them in to something to be feared. Nick Saban took a forgotten Alabama program to Dynasty status, prior to there wasn't anyone getting a hard on for their roster.

Urban Meyer didn't have great talent at Bowling Green or Utah yet he won at both of those places. No national titles but the guy is a winner regardless of his roster.

Pete Carroll took a USC team that was lost in all directions to the top of the mountain and no one thought they had talent back then.

Obviously you need players but talented rosters prove time and time again that they aren't as important as everyone thinks they are. I never said you don't need talent, only that it's not the most important factor like people want to believe. These kids are not coaching themselves, they're not scheming themselves, and they not developing themselves and with out those Urban Meyer types out there they look as mediocre as any other roster. Every now and then you'll get talented and experienced teams who make their coach look better than he is but those aren't the things dynasties are made of. Do you need the #1 class to win a national title? No.. Do you need the #1 class to be competitive? No.. Do you need the #1 class to be a dynasty? No.. Do you need great coaching to be a dynasty? Yes..

Every team that has been brought back from the depths has one thing in common and that is that they all hired great coaches, not that they recruited better.

LOL, no.

Saban himself cited his inability to land recruits at MSU (being the #2 school in his own state) as the reason he left for LSU...not off the record but on camera...it can be Googled...

Reactions: AndyHanline
How did Nick Saban not win at Michigan State? Seems to me he improved them in his short stay there. Nick Saban took a dumpster fire at LSU and turned them in to something to be feared. Nick Saban took a forgotten Alabama program to Dynasty status, prior to there wasn't anyone getting a hard on for their roster.

Urban Meyer didn't have great talent at Bowling Green or Utah yet he won at both of those places. No national titles but the guy is a winner regardless of his roster.

Pete Carroll took a USC team that was lost in all directions to the top of the mountain and no one thought they had talent back then.

Obviously you need players but talented rosters prove time and time again that they aren't as important as everyone thinks they are. I never said you don't need talent, only that it's not the most important factor like people want to believe. These kids are not coaching themselves, they're not scheming themselves, and they not developing themselves and with out those Urban Meyer types out there they look as mediocre as any other roster. Every now and then you'll get talented and experienced teams who make their coach look better than he is but those aren't the things dynasties are made of. Do you need the #1 class to win a national title? No.. Do you need the #1 class to be competitive? No.. Do you need the #1 class to be a dynasty? No.. Do you need great coaching to be a dynasty? Yes..

Every team that has been brought back from the depths has one thing in common and that is that they all hired great coaches, not that they recruited better.
”At Michigan State, we were never Number 1 [in the state],” Saban told reporters after accepting the job. “That was always Michigan. It was always, ‘UM this and that.’

“If I’d gone to Ohio it would have been Ohio State. Indiana, it is Purdue. Chicago, it’s every other school in the Big Ten. Wherever you go you’re looking at someone else when you’re recruiting, trying to catch up, trying to convince someone you’re up there.”

Apparently SABAN HIMSELF thought recruiting is the key

Reactions: jeans15

You mean when Urban recruited future NFL QB stud and number 1 NFL draft pick Alex Smith to UTAH??? Along with 4 other NFL draft picks?

Or when Pete Carroll recruited Matt Leinhart heisman trophy finalist, Lendale White, Heisman Trophy Winner/Loser Reggie Bush, Ryan Kalil

These are what you're using to suggest recruiting doesn't matter?

Ok I'll nibble, Saban and Urban left recruiting dead zones schools for schools in recruiting hotbeds. That's great if you are a coach but Nebraska is not moving to South Beach and will never be in a great "blue chip" area. Osborne's teams were built on upperclassmen, veterans that had been in the program for years. Players that were savvy and new exactly what they were doing. Sure we had or fair share of young players so talented they saw playing time right away, but Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis were incredible talents, and even they could not hold up.

We need to hit on the local kids, Maliek Collins is the perfect example, undervalued out of high school and now a soon to be pro right in our recruiting base. We need to be great talent scouts and better teachers so we can start winning so we can start landing some real blue chippers!

on the qt and very hush hush

Reactions: Jaddy2020
Good grief there are people concerned about the offer lists of some of our recruits yet there is an entire thread earlier about how we need to offer a local kid ASAP who's only offers are from Wyoming and the Dakota schools

This is what you consider an entire thread of complaining? Are sprinkles a hurricane? Flurries a blizzard? Is 60 degrees a heat wave or an ice age?

If you would kindly take the time to reread my post I believe you will come to the conclusion that the "entire thread" comment refers to the thread about the Neb kid needing an offer

It's a two way street folks. You have to have coaching and talent, not just one or the other.
Saban elevated MSU and made them better, but even he realized he didn't have the horses to hit the final level, so he left where he'd have that talent.
Now lets go the other direction and look at talent rich Florida. Even with all that talent, Zook couldn't utilize it. Urban came in and knew what to do with it. Urban leaves and Muschamp comes in, and like Zook, couldn't succeed with it.

In the Coaching vs Talent debate I was a firm Talent devotee but that changed in 2011 when Brady Hoke had the good sense to hire Greg Mattison.

Mattison turned a soft and dispirited 2010 defense incapable of stopping anybody (see Michigan's 67-65 win over Illinois 2010) giving up 458 total & 35/game points and Gator Bowl blowout to a 2011 top 10 defense giving up 226 total points (17 per game) and Sugar Bowl win and he did it with the same players.

I am now firmly in the coaching camp.

While eating like a rabbit may get you a couple extra years it is not smoking and drinking will get you twenty.

Superior coaching gets you from top 50 to top10.

Superior talent gets you from top10 to #1.

Go Blue!

What do you think of our current recruits' other offers?

Using Iowa as an example. A very good season win-wise can be had with off-the-radar recruits. Can you expect it every year, well, has Iowa been good every year? We'll use the ol' standby metric here, who thinks Iowa will win at least 9 games the next 4 years?

Sean Mannion goes pro from OrSU. So, did Riley have a qb (since the mantra is "if only we had a qb"/"watch out when we get a qb")? OrSU had off-the-radar recruits. The four seasons with Mannion: 3-9, 9-4, 7-6, and 5-7. One 9-4 season.

So that begs the question "who don't I like?". There is no like and don't like on an INDIVIDUAL basis. I don't know who will eventually play/not play, leave the program, become all conference, be a career scout team player, be a role player. Some people want to say "it's not the stars, it's the offers". Ooooooookayyyy, well that's not working out so good.

Someone ALWAYS wants to say, "what about this one guy, he wasn't a top recruit and he's great, nana, nana, na". Absolutely, there will be low rated recruits that go on to be very good, maybe the best. BUT, it's all a numbers and probabilities game.

I can't find the article I was actually looking for, so we'll have to settle for this one: second choice article.

Taken from that article:

Odds of Becoming an All-American, by Recruiting Ranking
5–Star: 1 in 4.
Top 100: 1 in 6.
4–Star: 1 in 16.
3–Star: 1 in 56.
2–Star: 1 in 127.
All FBS Signees: 1 in 45.

Did Riley get it done at OrSU with off-the-radar recruits, no. Why should I expect different results given the same inputs here at NU.

Using Iowa as an example. A very good season win-wise can be had with off-the-radar recruits. Can you expect it every year, well, has Iowa been good every year? We'll use the ol' standby metric here, who thinks Iowa will win at least 9 games the next 4 years?

Sean Mannion goes pro from OrSU. So, did Riley have a qb (since the mantra is "if only we had a qb"/"watch out when we get a qb")? OrSU had off-the-radar recruits. The four seasons with Mannion: 3-9, 9-4, 7-6, and 5-7. One 9-4 season.

So that begs the question "who don't I like?". There is no like and don't like on an INDIVIDUAL basis. I don't know who will eventually play/not play, leave the program, become all conference, be a career scout team player, be a role player. Some people want to say "it's not the stars, it's the offers". Ooooooookayyyy, well that's not working out so good.

Someone ALWAYS wants to say, "what about this one guy, he wasn't a top recruit and he's great, nana, nana, na". Absolutely, there will be low rated recruits that go on to be very good, maybe the best. BUT, it's all a numbers and probabilities game.

I can't find the article I was actually looking for, so we'll have to settle for this one: second choice article.

Taken from that article:

Odds of Becoming an All-American, by Recruiting Ranking
5–Star: 1 in 4.
Top 100: 1 in 6.
4–Star: 1 in 16.
3–Star: 1 in 56.
2–Star: 1 in 127.
All FBS Signees: 1 in 45.

Did Riley get it done at OrSU with off-the-radar recruits, no. Why should I expect different results given the same inputs here at NU.
All we need is a QB can be said when there is talent at other positions. We seem to be more talented than Oregon state at other positions, but need more talent overall as well.

Oregon state needed more than a QB... We could improve dramatically with improved QB play, I believe. Not top 10, but top 25 I believe.

All we need is a QB can be said when there is talent at other positions. We seem to be more talented than Oregon state at other positions, but need more talent overall as well.

Oregon state needed more than a QB... We could improve dramatically with improved QB play, I believe. Not top 10, but top 25 I believe.
But we have a QB - just not a prostyle QB

Reactions: timnsun
I personally would just like to see what Riley could do with a full team of scholarship players. We were in every game we played in and had 44 scholarship players. I'm very interested to see what he can do with 65. In my opinion you can compete for championships with top 15 recruiting classes IF you have a difference maker at QB. Tom never got over the hump until he got guys named Tommy Frazier and Scott Frost. We will never be Alabama with dominant lines and 5 first rounders on their team every year. That's just a matter of geography and parity in today's cfb, but if we can recruit top 15 and get great qbs I think we stand a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT