ADVERTISEMENT

Are we stuck in the past?

SnohomishRed

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 31, 2005
Snohomish
Many on here focus on coaching or play calling which of course is always important. But I look at NU program and see no identity or at least any real identity.

Take Oregon for example that town is about the same size as Lincoln - Oregon for years for mired in mediocrity at best then the Nike owner and his advertising expertise decided to change the image - over the top flashy facilities, over the top uniforms and a fast paced style of offense unique and of course flashy. So not what is Oregons image flashy when in reality its just a run of the mill town in the middle of Oregon with little else to offer.

Recruits migrate to what they see and believe to be true not. This is built by an image that University leaders cultivate.

So what is NU's image and vision - it used to be hard nosed and top running games with an option attack. defenses that attacked. The basic premise was Nu took farm kids built them up through a state of art S&C program and steamrolled people.

Today I think most people would associate NU with lunatic coach( now fixed) and a program that would get blown out in big games. We are known to be different in nothing. Yes we have good facilities so do a lot of people, yes we fill the stadium but again many programs do that

We need an image over haul - The AD and chancellor need to do some strategic thinking of what this program is going to be known for. What does this program want to be really good at. Some thing the press can sink its teeth into and comment on. Once we build this image then recruits that this appeals to will come.

If we do not separate ourselves in some way then we are just a another program but located in an area that would not appeal to a lot of recruits

We need to play we as a team and win games. Championships will come if we do these things. Everything else will fall into place.

Question, how are you defining "the past"

1960's-5 conference championships
1970's-5 conference championships
1980's-5 conference championships
1990's-7 conference championships
2000's- none
2010's- none so far.

Originally posted by SnohomishRed:

So what is NU's image and vision - it used to be hard nosed and top running games with an option attack. defenses that attacked. The basic premise was Nu took farm kids built them up through a state of art S&C program and steamrolled people.
I and many used to look at the program this way, even though I knew it wasn't 100% accurate. But for me, this image faded a long time ago. If I think about football programs, very few have wide-spread identities, maybe only Oregon and Miami even come to mind. I suppose Notre Dame would fit under the image category, but their image is just being Notre Dame.

Every program will have stories or past events that in some way define the program, make them who they are at least on a personal level to the players and die-hard fans. Can any of the past be used to generate a wide-spread identity? Maybe, and it would be worth a shot to provide separation from the other 120 or so programs. I have no idea on what that image would be though.

So you want the The AD and chancellor to determine

the style of play for the football team? Not sure you thought that through, I think that is a crazy idea. The best the The AD and chancellor can do is HIRE the right person.

I am. I am stuck on someone asking Willa Cather after a really nasty game around the turn of the century if it bothered her because it was violent and she said of course it is violent, that's why she liked it. I am stuck on George Flippin rising to captain the team even though he had some hurdles such as having parents who were former slaves. I am stuck on Red Grange crying in our endzone cuz he got beat half to death. I am stuck on beating the Four Horsemen two of three tries by riding them roughshod. And on and on. Our identity is kicking ass against long odds by working harder and being tougher, and that applies to other things besides football. Initially that was done with something resembling rugby, then the swinging gate, flying wedge, wing T, full house, I-formation and probably a lot others. I hope our team goes back to being known for kicking ass and I hope Cavanaugh and Banker make that happen. The formation we use or uniforms are just window dressing.

Originally posted by Husker.Wed.:

I am. I am stuck on someone asking Willa Cather after a really nasty game around the turn of the century if it bothered her because it was violent and she said of course it is violent, that's why she liked it. I am stuck on George Flippin rising to captain the team even though he had some hurdles such as having parents who were former slaves. I am stuck on Red Grange crying in our endzone cuz he got beat half to death. I am stuck on beating the Four Horsemen two of three tries by riding them roughshod. And on and on. Our identity is kicking ass against long odds by working harder and being tougher, and that applies to other things besides football. Initially that was done with something resembling rugby, then the swinging gate, flying wedge, wing T, full house, I-formation and probably a lot others. I hope our team goes back to being known for kicking ass and I hope Cavanaugh and Banker make that happen. The formation we use or uniforms are just window dressing.
Sign me up. Break the opponents will.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT