ADVERTISEMENT

Are the Patriots tanking this season?

No way they can be bad enough to get the number 1 pick unless they blatantly try to lose.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Belicheck is nearly 70, is he really going to go the rookie QB route if he doesn't have to at this point?

I think they either sign Newton (or Flacco if he can pass a physical) and just ride out this year and then depending on how that goes make a play for a potential multi year veteran starter in 2021.

On one hand I can see why somebody might wonder if they are tanking since they didn't draft a QB, but I think they showed great restraint not reaching for a free agent (yet) or drafting the kid Green Bay did.

I honestly think they just didn't like any of the QB's that were available to them. However, if one of the remaining free agents is willing to sign for a bargain basement price, I could see them going that route but what does that get you? A .500 season?? I think they start the season with what they have, and see how it plays out. My guess is they start the season 3-6 after looking at their schedule, then they look at what's going on around them and go from there. I don't think they have some great master plan for that position yet, they just didn't like what was available to them, yet. New England probably has about 43 draft picks for next years draft, so I could see them going after somebody via a bunch of draft picks packaged as a trade to move up in the draft, if next year if Stidham (SP??) doesn't surprise everyone and turn into a great prospect.

Reactions: CC_Lemming
Pats fan here. No, I don't think so. Not Belicheck's style. He was quite critical of the Colts when Manning got hurt and they tanked for Luck. That said, they are in cap hell right now due to accelerating Brady's contract into signing bonuses and not resigning him, and franchise tagging Tuney, so they didn't have much room to maneuver in free agency.

They seem to believe in Stidham, or are at least willing to give him a shot. It has been business as usual except now Brady is gone, so I hardly expect it to be a typical season.

Without Brady, I do fear that the whole culture Belicheck has established will just implode without the wins to prop it up. Interesting times!

Belicheck is nearly 70, is he really going to go the rookie QB route if he doesn't have to at this point?

I think they either sign Newton (or Flacco if he can pass a physical) and just ride out this year and then depending on how that goes make a play for a potential multi year veteran starter in 2021.

I believe they prefer Stidham over both. Right or wrong. Flacco is done IMO. I'd rather go Stidham. Intrigued by Cam, but he is a total headcase and not a good leader. Again, I'd rather go Stidham.

1. Bill Bellichek would take his own life before he voluntarily tried to lose games.
2. The Patriots still have the best secondary in football. They play 8 teams with garbage QBs.

It will be impossible for them to tank. I can see them losing 7 to 9 games, but that will make them a middle of the road team.

1. Bill Bellichek would take his own life before he voluntarily tried to lose games.
2. The Patriots still have the best secondary in football. They play 8 teams with garbage QBs.

It will be impossible for them to tank. I can see them losing 7 to 9 games, but that will make them a middle of the road team.
The best secondary in the league that got torched by Ryan Fitzpatrick and Devante Parker in a game that they really needed to win?

A little bird told me.

Funny how news like this always comes out after the draft and always in reference to a player the team in question drafted. Not saying the Patriots are immune. Every time Bill reaches on some project in the second round (historically his worst round), it's almost always accompanied by some "rumor" that team X was trying to get above the Patriots to take said player. Not saying it's false, but how could we possibly know? And notice, it's almost always in the interest of the team who leaks said rumor to have done so (especially when the pick comes under scrutiny--why did they take a 2nd string QB when the 3rd best safety was still available and would fill an obvious need?!?).

The best secondary in the league that got torched by Ryan Fitzpatrick and Devante Parker in a game that they really needed to win?

Miami definitely wanted it more that game. But yes, the best secondary over the course of the year, and still one of the best on paper for next year. One game does not define a team/unit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT