ADVERTISEMENT

Are Running backs that bad?

Bigred511

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2018
Looking at the stats Nebraska had 19 running back carries for 54 yards with an average of 2.8 yards per carries. Ervin's longest run was 11 yards, Stepp was 7 yards, and Johnson longest run was 7 yards. I heard Huskers were going to give their starter up to 25 carries. Seems like Ervin disappeared in the 2nd half. Stepp showed some promise but only had 3 carries in the game but had 1 big reception for 30 yards. In the 2nd half I mainly recall seeing Johnson. We didn't seem to be winning the line battle so wondering why a smaller running back would make a difference? I noticed a trend for years when Huskers get less than 4 yards running on 1st down, the game plan is to throw the rest of the series. We look so obvious that we are going to pass that teams can prepare better for pass defense. In 1 broken-down play, Martinez surprised everyone with a 75-yard touchdown run. Overall, Martinez holds onto the ball too long and doesn't know how to secure the ball when contact is coming.

The solution is, Quit this shotgun formation. Cam may look better instead of seeing a negative 20-yard loss on a bad snap. Keep the defense guessing rather or not it will be a run or a pass. Don't give up on the run so easily. Nebraska stopped Illinois running game at the beginning. However, they grinded out 178 yards by running backs and had a lot of 8-minute drives.

It's both bad run blocking and mediocre running backs. There were several plays where an LP would have blown past the defender for a big play. Our guys aren't that calibre.

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
We also had to abandon the run game because we went down 3 scores. We weren’t going to come back getting stuffed at the line 2/3 of the time and running the clock down.

No it’s because our O-Line can’t block, commits stupid penalties, and can’t snap correctly because we have had an absolute lousy O-line coach for the last 4 years. Garbage in / garbage out!
Frost said Nebraska planned for a three man front, but Illinois played a four man front. COACHING. As an ESPN host said this morning at the start of his show," I'm having a Scott Frosty type of day. Not prepared!"

Morrison=0 Carries yesterday.

Yet, he was just the next great talent to by hyped in the offseason. Just like our we are so stacked at WR/TE! And better yet, just oozing talent in the Oline. Way better line than last year.

Except, at the end of the day none of the above will be developed. There is zero development going on on the offensive side of the ball. Perhaps they wait to see if the offensive genius is fired…but if I’m Irvin/Fidone I could not enter my name in to the portal fast enough.

The oline doesn't help but there was a time or two that I thought Ervin would get the corner but didn't. He just didn't seem to have the burst I expected.

Looking at the stats Nebraska had 19 running back carries for 54 yards with an average of 2.8 yards per carries. Ervin's longest run was 11 yards, Stepp was 7 yards, and Johnson longest run was 7 yards. I heard Huskers were going to give their starter up to 25 carries. Seems like Ervin disappeared in the 2nd half. Stepp showed some promise but only had 3 carries in the game but had 1 big reception for 30 yards. In the 2nd half I mainly recall seeing Johnson. We didn't seem to be winning the line battle so wondering why a smaller running back would make a difference? I noticed a trend for years when Huskers get less than 4 yards running on 1st down, the game plan is to throw the rest of the series. We look so obvious that we are going to pass that teams can prepare better for pass defense. In 1 broken-down play, Martinez surprised everyone with a 75-yard touchdown run. Overall, Martinez holds onto the ball too long and doesn't know how to secure the ball when contact is coming.

The solution is, Quit this shotgun formation. Cam may look better instead of seeing a negative 20-yard loss on a bad snap. Keep the defense guessing rather or not it will be a run or a pass. Don't give up on the run so easily. Nebraska stopped Illinois running game at the beginning. However, they grinded out 178 yards by running backs and had a lot of 8-minute drives.
Line can't run block effectively yet.....after 4 yrs. I know we're young but you got to really question Austin.

Morrison=0 Carries yesterday.

Yet, he was just the next great talent to by hyped in the offseason. Just like our we are so stacked at WR/TE! And better yet, just oozing talent in the Oline. Way better line than last year.

Except, at the end of the day none of the above will be developed. There is zero development going on on the offensive side of the ball. Perhaps they wait to see if the offensive genius is fired…but if I’m Irvin/Fidone I could not enter my name in to the portal fast enough.
Morrison will be the next portal casualty

Line can't run block effectively yet.....after 4 yrs. I know we're young but you got to really question Austin.
with pass blocking there's still a aspect of run blocking, but it relies upon a qb and receivers keeping the defense honest and not stacking the line, so since martinez's arm benefits the opposing defense, they almost beg martinez to throw the ball..... so I understand the o-lines problem, they are trying to do 2 things but since one of them things is a complete no go from the hike (passing)....the run blocking also looks bad.

with pass blocking there's still a aspect of run blocking, but it relies upon a qb and receivers keeping the defense honest and not stacking the line, so since martinez's arm benefits the opposing defense, they almost beg martinez to throw the ball..... so I understand the o-lines problem, they are trying to do 2 things but since one of them things is a complete no go from the hike (passing)....the run blocking also looks bad.
Yeah Nebraska has been figured out for years now. Make AM pass ....game over.

Pass game has to open our run game…. So in other words it’s going to be a bad season .. like historically bad.

No our o line is. There are never running lanes. Gayle sayers couldn’t run behind these guys
Our oline spends more time being sideways and skinny allowing the defense to fill rather than a square wide base moving forward and creating gaps and holes

running backs, Oline, scheme, playcalling, predictability, snaps, penalties, a QB that struggles to run a read option……

Reactions: otismotis08
No it’s because our O-Line can’t block, commits stupid penalties, and can’t snap correctly because we have had an absolute lousy O-line coach for the last 4 years. Garbage in / garbage out!

Anybody who was wearing one of those “run the damn ball” hats should be required to wear a dress to practice until they prove they can block somebody.

Running attack is an attitude and needs to be constantly fed. It needs rhythm to be effective. The start of the 3rd had 3 series with 3 run plays and AM panicking the rest because he sucks at fundamentals, throwing to make a receiver open or anticipate the open window. Had Frost had a game plan that made a commitment to anything outside of AM free lancing for panic yards the team might respond. 47% completion is NAIA level ball.

Frost said Nebraska planned for a three man front, but Illinois played a four man front. COACHING. As an ESPN host said this morning at the start of his show," I'm having a Scott Frosty type of day. Not prepared!"
Well if you don’t know what front they are going to run , why practice only a 3. Certainly you’ll see a 3 and a 4 throughout the year. I mean you had the entire Fall camp to prepare .

Well if you don’t know what front they are going to run , why practice only a 3. Certainly you’ll see a 3 and a 4 throughout the year. I mean you had the entire Fall camp to prepare .
I agree. I thought this was an admission of inept leadership from Frost. You have Illinois then Fordham and Buffalo. For craps sake, prepare like Illinois is the Superbowl. Every potential possibility. Heck, even IF he didn't prepare, you can't make an in game adjustment to this supposed surprise? Just a shocking admission of unpreparedness. Made me think there was some truth to the rumors of him not putting in the work.

ADVERTISEMENT