ADVERTISEMENT

Are Mark Pelini or Jake Cotton getting drafted?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were hired to be Graduate Assistants/Offensive Line coaches in Youngstown.

the point of shitting on these guys is what exactly?

Anyone who thinks Jake Cotton can't play needs to go back and watch him against Miami. Cotton almost singlehandedly made Denzel Perryman look like a highschool linebacker in that game and was a HUGE reason we dominated their front 7.

Don't know if he will get a shot to play at the next level but it has nothing to do with talent.

This post was edited on 3/24 12:50 PM by Blackshirt316

But Blackshirt, he has the same last name as a coach from the previous staff, so therefore it is open season on any perceived deficiencies he might have.

I'll be elated when the whole "bitter ex girlfriend" mindset goes away and people get over this fixation on Pelini and his staff. I think it's kind of sad that I read just as much if not more about the previous staff on here compared to the current staff.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Blackshirt316:
Anyone who thinks Jake Cotton can't play needs to go back and watch him against Miami. Cotton almost dinglehandedly made Denzel Perran look like a highschool linebacker in that game and was a HUGE reason we dominated their front 7.

Don't know if he will get a shot to play at the next level but it has nothing to do with talent.
Agree. Physically talented kid.

Jake committed two false start penalties in the 2014 season....nice try.

Cotton has NFL OG level power and physicality and adequate agility and feet. He lacks consistency, does tend to bad penalties, and has some injury history.

CBS has him here as the #47 OG, number 808 overall NFL prospect. Virtually no chance he gets drafted, but I'd be surprised if somebody doesn't call him quickly after the draft. He has pro potential and with the right coaching and motivation he could possibly make it. Somebody will try to unlock his potential.

Mark Pelini gave it his all as a very undersized walk-on. He was 3-time academic all-conference so he should be well prepared for a future that doesn't involve the NFL.

Originally posted by kchu5ker555:

How would Jake had fared with a few years of Cav's coaching?
Ummmmm...are you serious?

In the last five years Cav's line has taken exactly 0% of the first team all conference spots.

When you combine 1st and 2nd team all conference over the last five years, Cav's players have taken 2% of the all-conference spots.

Cav's coaching?

KobeNotSureIfSerious.jpg

Originally posted by ReuniteGondwanaland:
Cotton has NFL OG level power and physicality and adequate agility and feet. He lacks consistency, does tend to bad penalties, and has some injury history.

CBS has him here as the #47 OG, number 808 overall NFL prospect. Virtually no chance he gets drafted, but I'd be surprised if somebody doesn't call him quickly after the draft. He has pro potential and with the right coaching and motivation he could possibly make it. Somebody will try to unlock his potential.

Mark Pelini gave it his all as a very undersized walk-on. He was 3-time academic all-conference so he should be well prepared for a future that doesn't involve the NFL.
Nice post

Originally posted by 500mileRadius:
Cav is really excited to be here and he seems to show the proper respect for our history. Not sure what people expect at this point?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
What is your point? That this is a fresh start for Cav and we should wait and see what happens?

If that is the case, then let's just hope for the best.. However, if someone is going to look back and say Cotton would have been so much better if he had Cav the last five years, Cav's last five years do not show that at all.

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:

In the last five years Cav's line has taken exactly 0% of the first team all conference spots.

When you combine 1st and 2nd team all conference over the last five years, Cav's players have taken 2% of the all-conference spots.

Cav's coaching?

ec
Sarcasm aside, 2/50 = 4%, not 2%. And while I understand that we live in a "what have you done for me lately" society, but Cav also had a 1st Team Pac 12 OL in each of the four years prior to your five year window, which paints a different picture than your post.

Would Jake have done better under Cav? No idea. I actually liked Garrison as a coach and think he has a very bright future. But your selective stats are (1) incorrect, and (2) paint a worse picture than reality.

What I do know is that Cav didn't have a lot of guys with Jake's ceiling, and when he did, they were often 1st team All-Conference. Hopefully he can bring in more studs at a better school. I know I like what I've seen of him so far, as do some of his key recruits.

Originally posted by Ecktacy:

Cav's coaching?

ec
Sarcasm aside, 2/50 = 4%, not 2%. And while I understand that we live in a "what have you done for me lately" society, but Cav also had a 1st Team Pac 12 OL in each of the four years prior to your five year window, which paints a different picture than your post.

Would Jake have done better under Cav? No idea. I actually liked Garrison as a coach and think he has a very bright future. But your selective stats are (1) incorrect, and (2) paint a worse picture than reality.

What I do know is that Cav didn't have a lot of guys with Jake's ceiling, and when he did, they were often 1st team All-Conference. Hopefully he can bring in more studs at a better school. I know I like what I've seen of him so far, as do some of his key recruits.
Considering the talent that USC, UCLA, Oregon and to a lesser extent ASU, UW and Zona get, it's amazing that Caz had any 1st or 2nd team all conference guys at Oregon State. EVERY pundit I have listened to or read talk about him being not a good Oline coach but a GREAT one.

Cav's coaching?

ec

It was actually 2% of the fifty spots which is 1 player...a second teamer.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:

Cav's coaching?

ec

Considering the talent that USC, UCLA, Oregon and to a lesser extent ASU, UW and Zona get, it's amazing that Caz had any 1st or 2nd team all conference guys at Oregon State. EVERY pundit I have listened to or read talk about him being not a good Oline coach but a GREAT one.
I hope that is the case.

Cav's coaching?

ec

It was actually 2% of the fifty spots which is 1 player...a second teamer.
Like my post stated, it was actually 2 players: Issac Seumalo (2010 2nd Team).
wink.r191677.gif

Edited to fix spelling error on first player's last name.

This post was edited on 3/26 11:18 PM by Ecktacy

OK...I didn't see these awards. I either missed it or was looking at another set of awards...either way that is my bad.

Cav's coaching?

ec
Dead serious. You don't think it's possible that Cav's coaching could have been any better than what Jake received under the previous regime? Give the guy a chance!

I am completely giving the guy a chance...I said so above. Cotton has been here the last five years so I simply compared the results of Cav to where Cotton is at.

This doesn't mean Cav can't do a great job here. I am hoping like crazy our line will be even better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT