ADVERTISEMENT

Are IOWA fans...

donahues17

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 5, 2005
The dumbest bunch of college athletic fans ever? I don't konw if I know a group that is as dumb as them. Got a couple idiots trying to say that they disagree that baseball is a major men's sport and that wrasslin is more major than baseball? WTF do they smoke in IC?

The dumbest bunch of college athletic fans ever? I don't konw if I know a group that is as dumb as them. Got a couple idiots trying to say that they disagree that baseball is a major men's sport and that wrasslin is more major than baseball? WTF do they smoke in IC?

If they believe that they are as dumb as a Rock.

In America the 3 biggest team sports are Football, Basketball and Baseball.

Rassling isn't even a team sport. it's an individual sport.

Iowa fans that are friends of mine could careless about Rassling they rather see Iowa win in Baseball.

Wrestling just might be more popular in some corners of the Big Ten. For sure at Iowa. Hawkeye wrestling? Lots of national championships. Hawkeye baseball? Well...

Wrestling more popular than baseball nationwide? Please.

Which I do agree that wrasslin is popilular in the midwest and northeast. But on a national stage it is hands down baseball basketball amd football (in reverse order)

Dan Gable built an incredible wrestling dynasty at Iowa. But he was an All-American champion at Iowa St.

Always wondered why he went to Iowa to coach.

Dan Gable built an incredible wrestling dynasty at Iowa. But he was an All-American champion at Iowa St.

Always wondered why he went to Iowa to coach.

What is it with great wrasslers at ISU that go elsewhere to coach? Sanderson from ISU and destroying the wrasslin world as a coach at Penn State.

They draw 10 to 12K fans to every wrestling dual at Carver Hawkeye. They are both major, but secondary men's sports. One is a fall/winter season sport, and the other takes place in the spring. You dont have to be a fan of one sport or the other, since they dont compete against each other in any way.

Reactions: saluno22
They draw 10 to 12K fans to every wrestling dual at Carver Hawkeye. They are both major, but secondary men's sports. One is a fall/winter season sport, and the other takes place in the spring. You dont have to be a fan of one sport or the other, since they dont compete against each other in any way.

It's not terribly surprising that fans end up liking sports their school is really good at. Baseball of course is way more relevant nationally than wrestling (even college baseball). Anyone who says so just isn't paying attention. Iowa's baseball history is not great to be kind, but Heller has given Iowa a shot of credibility in his 4 years. The administration is investing in the program, and with both Iowa State and UNI dropping baseball Iowa has access to more in-state talent than it did previously. I do like/admire Nebraska's program, especially the commitment from the fans and administration to be good.

If they believe that they are as dumb as a Rock.

In America the 3 biggest team sports are Football, Basketball and Baseball.

Rassling isn't even a team sport. it's an individual sport.

Iowa fans that are friends of mine could careless about Rassling they rather see Iowa win in Baseball.

Heller makes $152,000. a year
Brands makes $345,000 a year

That pretty much says it all.

That's because they get more cans to a wrasslin match than a football or basketball game in Herkie land. But thanks for helping answer my question.

Heller makes $152,000. a year
Brands makes $345,000 a year

That pretty much says it all.
That's highly unusual. I looked up a number of big name schools, and I can't find a single other one where the wrestling coach makes more than the baseball coach, and that includes some of the top wrestling powers(I could not find Penn State's baseball coach salary, so I will grant that Cael Sanderson may make more than he does). All you have proven is that Iowa cares more about baseball than wrestling. That's great for you, but that's not generally the case for very many places

And Iowa hasn't win shut in wresting for the past 5 years either. Overpaid season and football coaches. Heller is way underpaid. Maybe Nebraska will poach him

And Iowa hasn't win shut in wresting for the past 5 years either. Overpaid season and football coaches. Heller is way underpaid. Maybe Nebraska will poach him

I don't follow the God awful sport. But from what one of my Hawkeyes buddies told me they haven't won the B1G wrestling tournment since Nebraska joined the B1G... For what ever that is worth.

The University of Iowa wrestling program is one of the most successful athletic programs in NCAA Division I. The University of Iowa Hawkeyes are a member of the Big Ten Conference. Iowa is second in NCAA history with 23 national championships, all of which have come since 1975. Sports Illustrated recently named the Iowa program one of the top sports dynasties of the 20th century.

NCAA Individual National Championships
1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2008, 2009, 2010 [2]
Conference Tournament Championships
1958, 1962, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 ,1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2015

The great Dan Gable, an assistant under Kurdelmeier for 4 years, began his Iowa dynasty in 1976. He was the Hawkeyes head coach for 16 NCAA Championships and 21 consecutive Big Ten Championships. That included a streak of nine consecutive NCAA Team Championships, starting in 1978 and ending in 1986. It equaled the longest streak of national titles won by any school, in any sport.

Why would Heller go to a lesser program?

Last edited:
I'd say the big difference is competition. In the Big three sports there are 10 times more teams competing for the same trophy. Other sports like wrestling, hockey, Lacrosse, even women's basketball have just a handful of teams (mostly regional) competing for the same trophy.

UCONN women's basketball is the best in their sport but one could argue what Alabama is able to do in football is much more impressive because of the amount of competition and national interest in that sport.

Iowa likes wrestling more which makes sense, but most of the nation neither competes or cares. Where Iowa's interest in wrestling is an exception to the rule in fan interest so is their lack of interest in baseball.

Still a great level of success in the sport but you'd never see a run like that in a sport the majority of the nation takes interest in.

Reactions: k9_r
Wrestling is an Olympic sport and outside of the South, there's quite a lot of participation. CA, NY, NJ, IL, PA, OH, MI, MN, WA, OR, OK & IA are all premier wrestling state along with the Dakotas, Nebraska and Utah. Hockey is more regional specific to the NE, Great Lakes and the Rockies along with Canada. One could make the argument that NCAA hockey and wrestling are much closer to the apex of their particular sports in skill than NCAA baseball.

Just because there's a lot of participation in wrestling doesn't mean there's a lot of general interest. Die-hard wrestling fans are very dedicated to their sport and they come out in droves to watch it. But the interest doesn't extend much beyond that. The vast majority of people who watch wrestling either have done it themselves, or are family or friends of someone who does. Baseball is more of a general fans' sport like football or basketball. A good portion of the people who watch baseball have never played it at an organized level. A casual fan can watch baseball too and know at least at a general level what is going on. It is very difficult for the casual fan to understand what is going on in a wrestling match unless you have been taught what to watch for.

Confusing the popularity of college baseball and baseball period is a common argument of the fan that calls baseball the big 3. In College sports it's football, mens Basketball then most schools have that 3rd sport that's really popular to them.

I will never argue that wrestling is more popular then college baseball but both are not even close to being in the same stratosphere as Men's Basketball or Football.

I'm not going to say that baseball is #3 everywhere. It's not even #3 at Nebraska-that would be volleyball(in terms of intensity of fan interest, volleyball really might even be #2). But I would say it's most definitely top 5 at the vast majority of schools. Football and men's basketball are most definitely 1 and 2, 3-5 is baseball, volleyball and women's basketball in some order at most schools. Hockey, wrestling, softball or soccer fills in one or more of those spots at some schools, and maybe even another sport here or there(men's gymnastics was almost certainly #3 at Nebraska back in the late 70s-early 80s when we were dominating the sport). I would however say that baseball is #3 or at least top 5 in more places than wrestling is. I give credit to wrestling fans for being so passionate about their sport and coming out to watch it. But again, it just doesn't have much attraction for the general fan and there isn't a whole lot of potential for growth-college baseball on the other hand has been growing in popularity steadily for about 15-20 years now. You can see that in terms of the number of schools that are devoting more resources to it and building new ballparks or making major renovations to current ones.

So Cackalacky had a really good basketball team last season shocking Gamecock fans everywhere. They thought basketball was a minor sport way behind football and baseball.

Wrestling is an Olympic sport and outside of the South, there's quite a lot of participation. CA, NY, NJ, IL, PA, OH, MI, MN, WA, OR, OK & IA are all premier wrestling state along with the Dakotas, Nebraska and Utah. Hockey is more regional specific to the NE, Great Lakes and the Rockies along with Canada. One could make the argument that NCAA hockey and wrestling are much closer to the apex of their particular sports in skill than NCAA baseball.
Good lord man. Nobody cares outside of a few areas and most outside of the Traditional Big Ten footprint don't care. Maybe you should go on the Wrestling Board and talk about it.

Reactions: scarletred
Confusing the popularity of college baseball and baseball period is a common argument of the fan that calls baseball the big 3. In College sports it's football, mens Basketball then most schools have that 3rd sport that's really popular to them.

I will never argue that wrestling is more popular then college baseball but both are not even close to being in the same stratosphere as Men's Basketball or Football.
The ratings disagree

The University of Iowa wrestling program is one of the most successful athletic programs in NCAA Division I. The University of Iowa Hawkeyes are a member of the Big Ten Conference. Iowa is second in NCAA history with 23 national championships, all of which have come since 1975. Sports Illustrated recently named the Iowa program one of the top sports dynasties of the 20th century.

NCAA Individual National Championships
1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2008, 2009, 2010 [2]
Conference Tournament Championships
1958, 1962, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 ,1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2015

The great Dan Gable, an assistant under Kurdelmeier for 4 years, began his Iowa dynasty in 1976. He was the Hawkeyes head coach for 16 NCAA Championships and 21 consecutive Big Ten Championships. That included a streak of nine consecutive NCAA Team Championships, starting in 1978 and ending in 1986. It equaled the longest streak of national titles won by any school, in any sport.

For a fan base that bashes Nebraska fans for living in the past, this post wreaks of history.

Last edited:
I'm not going to say that baseball is #3 everywhere. It's not even #3 at Nebraska-that would be volleyball(in terms of intensity of fan interest, volleyball really might even be #2). But I would say it's most definitely top 5 at the vast majority of schools. Football and men's basketball are most definitely 1 and 2, 3-5 is baseball, volleyball and women's basketball in some order at most schools. Hockey, wrestling, softball or soccer fills in one or more of those spots at some schools, and maybe even another sport here or there(men's gymnastics was almost certainly #3 at Nebraska back in the late 70s-early 80s when we were dominating the sport). I would however say that baseball is #3 or at least top 5 in more places than wrestling is. I give credit to wrestling fans for being so passionate about their sport and coming out to watch it. But again, it just doesn't have much attraction for the general fan and there isn't a whole lot of potential for growth-college baseball on the other hand has been growing in popularity steadily for about 15-20 years now. You can see that in terms of the number of schools that are devoting more resources to it and building new ballparks or making major renovations to current ones.

I don't disagree with this. My point is College Baseball fans love to call CBB as part of the big 3. It's not. Others in this thread used that terminology. CBB fans in the south love to call it the Big 3. The multiple sports being popular makes the Big 3 comments about CBB just untrue.

Is CBB the most popular of the rest. Probably but not close enough to call it the big 3.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with this. My point is College Baseball fans love to call CBB as part of the big 3. It's not. Others in this thread used that terminology. CBB fans in the south love to call it the Big 3. The multiple sports being popular makes the Big 3 comments about CBB just untrue.

Is CBB the most popular of the rest. Probably but not close enough to call it the big 3.
Either way congrats on the win. Ironically enough I think us Husker fans care more because we want the Big Ten to do well in baseball. Laughing

Tell your AD to schedule teams during the regular season so they don't have to rely on the tourney every year. Your coach is legit and will bail soon if not.

Just as long as you always know Women's Bowling belongs to Nebraska we will get along just fine!

Reactions: Arbitr8

You do know that Heller is the baseball coach right? I mean you are an Iowa fan so I wouldn't expect you to know that since Iowa fans havent paid a lick of attention to Iowa baseball since the Tourney game last year. If you think that Iowa is a better baseball program than Nebraska, you are a f&^&*ng dumbass. Why would Heller go to a lesser program? Probably becasue Iowa don't pay him crap.

The recent record says otherwise. More fertile recruiting ground too

That's quite the stretch......just a short while ago Nebraska also had Mich St number in basketball. Better program? Hardly. Iowa has certainly been better head to head in the past couple years....overall body of work? You have a ways to go. Nebraska won the Big 10 regular season title this year...something Iowa has not done in 27 years. In that same timespan Iowa has 3 regional appearances compared to Nebraska's 12. I think we can all agree Nebraska/Iowa being good is best case for the conference...but Iowa certainly has to put together a few more good years to even have this discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT