ADVERTISEMENT

Appleget commits

I feel bad for guys like this because he SHOULD be a nice, celebrated piece of a class that has some bigger names to drive momentum but instead he's another in a string of 3* so he triggers fan frustration through zero fault of his own.

There does seem to have been an issue with the 4* kids NU has gotten lately, they've disproportionately quit the team, failed to produce, or both. They should be most likely to be NFL draft picks, but they feel most likely to never clear the over on 1.5 seasons played at NU.

This staff is increasingly struggling to land and keep 4* talent nor even sniff a commit from a 5* kid. There's nothing wrong with having some guys like this, but it sure would help sentiment to hit on some big fish real soon.

It's just another summer of watching this staff fall wayyyyyy behind the top of the conference and trying to find reasons why we shouldn't find that worrisome. NU has zero 4* commits thus far.

Rutgers has 5 commits from 4* kids per 247. Rutgers. The same team NU beat in spite of like a million turnovers can get 5 guys who are 4*. Penn State has 7 of them, which is the same number as we have in the whole class. The same atrocious Penn State team we beat last year. But tell me more about how we have to win first before we could possibly get good
Penn St has been much more successful within the past 5 years.

If the offense is once again designed to be a lab experiment each week and "cute" rather than designed to our player's strengths and other teams weaknesses; AND if special teams are once again an inconvenient afterthought; AND if NU continues to turn the ball over at the worst possible times; AND if basic football situations like clock management and completing passes in front of receivers in the flat, etc. are shrugged off; THEN the upcoming season will be another disaster and there will be a coaching change. IF SO, then many of the Frost era recruits will bail and the only decent players left will be guys like Appleget who want to be in Lincoln. SInce the above is a real possibility, I'm happy Appleget signed.

Reactions: red scowl
1. Yant wasn't eligible last season.
2. Rahmir has the durability of plexi glass.
3. Ronald was suspended twice and really just not any good.
4. Marvin was a true freshman without a Spring, but also missed a game due to a false positive Covid Test. He was probably the kid they trusted the most, but without a Spring or normal Fall, he didn't really know the offense much. That's why he only got about 5 to 8 carries per game.
5. Sevion Morrison still hasn't ever completed a full week of practice since he's been in Lincoln, Fall or Spring.

6. Dedrick was only 100% for about 5 carries in game one. Then he was about 75% of the Purdue and Minnesota games. He was back to game shape by Rutgers when he ran for 191 yards.
That's unfair to plexiglass which is very durable.

I don't doubt Mills was banged up but when is an RB ever not if they get touches?

Martinez ends up playing hurt as well which has been an issue multiple years. At some point you get back to the "is it football or is it not" territory as well as "are you hurt or are you injured" territory.

I don't expect the wishbone to come back but even just some goal line situations over the years have been cutesy time instead of giving your 230 lb kid the ball.

I agree.

QB - Awful development and that weirdo needs to be gone
RB - I like held, but our backs haven't looked that good outside of Devine. I do like Ervin a lot, but the development has been there. Held needs to step up.
WR - Bad. Need to figure this out.
TE - I've actually been ok with the TE's. Need to get more looks, but blocking has been decent,
OL - Hasn't been good, but I sure like the young kids and I actually think they did progress last year. Hopefully they make a bigger jump this year.

DL - I actually think we have developed well here.
LB - Need to develop a hell of a lot better. They show some flashes, but ugly
Secondary - I think Fish is a stud and get's everything out of those dudes.

ST - Awful.
Agree with most of this. I am also beginning to wonder if this staff has serious evaluation issues as well.

At some point, the recruiting cards have to come up in NU's favor at instead of bust at RB. Of the three recent all-time list RBs, only one (Rex) was a blue-chip recruit. Roy was a 5.5. All three of these backs had the want-it factor. In the league NU plays in, the expectation is that nearly all of the players will have talent. The want-it factor is the good to great piece, and possibly the hardest to judge.
I think the story (along with some really bad luck) is that depth was weak when Frost got here, Bell was a reach that was a never could have been, Mo was a what could have been, with Thompkins and Rahmir being out and out busts. Mills was serviceable. Of Sevion, Stepp, Yant, Ervin and Scott III, are there a couple of guys who can both remain healthy and play B1G football. How many of these five have a lot of want-it?
Also, do we have any idea as to how Stepp i progressing with his re-hab?

The want it factor is something we've been missing at rb and wr. I think that has to do with the coaches not really knowing what kind of kid they are getting. I know Yant has the drive.

People are unhappy with 3*, but these are the kinds of kids at Iowa and Wisconsin making our 4* (late cycle) kids look foolish. I'm good with these 3*. Hell, I like it. I think they're both good football players.Welcome aboard Appleget. Same with Page. I'm glad your N.

They have been recruiting circles around NU since they came off probation regardless of their record that year
If Nebraska had won 6 games last year, would you expect them to recruit better than Penn St. Do you expect they should now?

If Nebraska had won 6 games last year, would you expect them to recruit better than Penn St. Do you expect they should now?
I will only go back to 2017 because before that really doesn't matter. The majority of the 2016 classes are gone.

247 Rankings/Rivals

2017 Penn St 15/12 Nebraska 23/20
2018 Penn St 6/5 Nebraska 23/21
2019 Penn St 12/11 Nebraska 17/15
2020 Penn St 15/15 Nebraska 20/17
2021 Penn St 21/26 Nebraska 20/18

Ave 5 yrs Penn St 13.8/13.8 Nebraska 20.6/18.2

I am not sure what @TheBeav815 definition of recruiting circles around Nebraska is, but Penn St has definitely recruited better overall over the past 5 years.

As far as should Nebraska be recruiting better, Nebraska needs to be on par with Penn St., averaging 14 in the recruiting rankings over a 5 year period should not be some pipe dream.

No because it's clear PSU has better recruiters on staff than NU does. So NU could win the B1G this year and I'd still expect them to squander that heat while PSU came into July with like 8 kids at 4* in their class yet again.

As long as this narrative of "You can't recruit Top 15 classes to Lincoln, NE" is accepted then Nebraska will remain an also-ran in the Big 10.

PSU has easier proximity to local talent but that's their only inherent advantage over NU in the post-JoePa era. They were the dregs of college football and on probation while NU was *winning 9 games*, then they IMMEDIATELY started racking up huge classes after that without winning first when Franklin came in. They were on scholarship reduction and getting marquee kids.

They make the case, as to Rutgers and even Maryland (same number of 4* as NU last cycle and a 5* besides), that you don't have to win first then recruit well. A staff that can flat-out recruit does. If you have to win first then Rutgers has no business having a better class than NU does at any time.

"Oh but it's the negativity from the fans/media about Frost!" Is it though? Harbaugh's seat couldn't be hotter, they signed 11 kids at 4* and one 5* last year. For this cycle they have 3 kids at 4* and another 5* plus another 5 kids at 3*. We've got 7 kids at 3*.

These trash schools can jump up and get 5* kids but NU can't. Callahan and Riley both showed an ability to generate attention from major recruits at Nebraska in a short time and without major on-field success. Franklin and Schiano same way, they're not drowning in trophies.

It's not easy to recruit to anywhere, let alone NU, but it's not as hard as this staff makes it look. Every summer the top of the conference has a bunch of 4*+ kids committed and we have none.

If your goals are P5 conference title and playoffs, you need elite recruiting, not just pretty good recruiting. To get where NU wants to go, this staff has to recruit and retain better than it has, period. Ohio State has an Indy car and we're over here ordering Honda Civic parts talking about "If we can just drive a perfect race...."

No because it's clear PSU has better recruiters on staff than NU does. So NU could win the B1G this year and I'd still expect them to squander that heat while PSU came into July with like 8 kids at 4* in their class yet again.

As long as this narrative of "You can't recruit Top 15 classes to Lincoln, NE" is accepted then Nebraska will remain an also-ran in the Big 10.

PSU has easier proximity to local talent but that's their only inherent advantage over NU in the post-JoePa era. They were the dregs of college football and on probation while NU was *winning 9 games*, then they IMMEDIATELY started racking up huge classes after that without winning first when Franklin came in. They were on scholarship reduction and getting marquee kids.

They make the case, as to Rutgers and even Maryland (same number of 4* as NU last cycle and a 5* besides), that you don't have to win first then recruit well. A staff that can flat-out recruit does. If you have to win first then Rutgers has no business having a better class than NU does at any time.

"Oh but it's the negativity from the fans/media about Frost!" Is it though? Harbaugh's seat couldn't be hotter, they signed 11 kids at 4* and one 5* last year. For this cycle they have 3 kids at 4* and another 5* plus another 5 kids at 3*. We've got 7 kids at 3*.

These trash schools can jump up and get 5* kids but NU can't. Callahan and Riley both showed an ability to generate attention from major recruits at Nebraska in a short time and without major on-field success. Franklin and Schiano same way, they're not drowning in trophies.

It's not easy to recruit to anywhere, let alone NU, but it's not as hard as this staff makes it look. Every summer the top of the conference has a bunch of 4*+ kids committed and we have none.

If your goals are P5 conference title and playoffs, you need elite recruiting, not just pretty good recruiting. To get where NU wants to go, this staff has to recruit and retain better than it has, period. Ohio State has an Indy car and we're over here ordering Honda Civic parts talking about "If we can just drive a perfect race...."
I know you have me on mute because the truth can sometimes fly in the face of your beliefs, but we signed 10 4* kids Frost's first year without playing a single game.

the difference is Franklin won with his and ours transferred elsewhere or never got any better.

Would be swell if Nebraska could start developing players at the skill positions on offense. Don't feel like anyone has truly developed much the last half decade or so. Probably helps to explain why Nebraska has been so terrible. I am definitely a skeptic when it comes to player development in general over the last half decade, on both sides of the ball (sans the secondary).

Regardless, welcome to Nebraska, Jake. Hope he's a good one!

At some point, the recruiting cards have to come up in NU's favor at instead of bust at RB. Of the three recent all-time list RBs, only one (Rex) was a blue-chip recruit. Roy was a 5.5. All three of these backs had the want-it factor. In the league NU plays in, the expectation is that nearly all of the players will have talent. The want-it factor is the good to great piece, and possibly the hardest to judge.
I think the story (along with some really bad luck) is that depth was weak when Frost got here, Bell was a reach that was a never could have been, Mo was a what could have been, with Thompkins and Rahmir being out and out busts. Mills was serviceable. Of Sevion, Stepp, Yant, Ervin and Scott III, are there a couple of guys who can both remain healthy and play B1G football. How many of these five have a lot of want-it?
Also, do we have any idea as to how Stepp i progressing with his re-hab?
There are no “recruiting cards”. Good staffs evaluate well and know how to close with these kids…next they develop them into the best players that they can be. It isn’t luck, it’s good coaching.

Reactions: huntered
Is he fast and can he bring the lumber?
Heard he ran a 4.60 at his workout. After seeing some of his catches last season, there's no doubt in my mind that he's a better TE prospect than the commit from Minnesota. 6'4", 210, runs a 4.6 flat? He could develop into the type of TE who could line up effectively about anywhere (like Fidone). That being said, with his speed they could also have someone who could match up well against tight ends and have the ability to make some tough catches for interceptions.

Reactions: dinglefritz
There are no “recruiting cards”. Good staffs evaluate well and know how to close with these kids…next they develop them into the best players that they can be. It isn’t luck, it’s good coaching.
Luck is involved in any aspect of life. Even if the prior coaches and mentors of a kids are an open book, exactly how a kid is going to react to going from being the best/one of the best players on a team to being just one of many talented players is largely unknown.

They have been recruiting circles around NU since they came off probation regardless of their record that year
Helps when your around hot bed of recruits and your a blue blood also.

We’ve recruited the best in the West but a lot of players left with their 4 stars making Nebraska class not as high as we would like it to be..

Nebraska hasn't developed its highest ranked recruits, but there have been signs of development.

QB - Noah Vedral, 5.3 2*, developed into a P5 starter despite seeing his completion percentage, yards per attempt, and QBR drop after transferring.

RB - Devine Ozigbo, 5.6 3*, physically looked and played differently under the current staff when he nearly matched his 2015-2017 output (1114 yards rushing) in 2018 (1082 yards rushing on a career high 7.0 yards per carry).

WR - Kade Warner, Unranked, went from walk-on to P5 scholarship holder at multiple universities. JD Spielman, 5.7 3*, had his best season in 2019 and set his career high in touchdowns in 2018 before totalling 5 catches in 3 games with 0 touchdowns in 2020 at TCU.

TE- Jack Stoll, 5.6 3*, turned into an UDFA. Austin Allen, 5.6 3*, went from probable non-contributor to potential NFL contributor.

OL - In 2021 Nebraska had two OLinemen drafted, Brendan Jaimes and Matt Farniok, both 5.7 3*s, in the same draft for the first time since 2009.

DL - Ben Stille and Casey Rogers, both 5.6 3*s, have developed well. Carlos Davis, 5.7 3*, was drafted in 2020.

LB - JoJo Domann, 5.6 3*, has turned into one of the conference's top athletes. Former walk-on Luke Reimer, Unranked Safety, could end up being the best LB Nebraska's had since Lavonte David.

DB - CTB, 5.5 3*, is probably a 2nd day draft candidate today. DiCaprio Bootle, 5.5 3*, led the B1G conference in passes defended in 2018 and is currently on an NFL roster.

ST - Connor Culp, 5.3 2*, won the conference Kicker of the Year honor in 2020 after doing very little over the course of his career at LSU.

Nebraska needs to win some games and hit on some highly ranked recruits, but the current staff's developed some players over the course of their short tenures in Lincoln.

Hopefully Jake Appleget, 5.6 3*, will be another example in a few years.

Luck is involved in any aspect of life. Even if the prior coaches and mentors of a kids are an open book, exactly how a kid is going to react to going from being the best/one of the best players on a team to being just one of many talented players is largely unknown.
Ok sure. We are not recruiting one kid…more like 25 per year. Most good coaches make their own luck.

I will only go back to 2017 because before that really doesn't matter. The majority of the 2016 classes are gone.

247 Rankings/Rivals

I am not sure what @TheBeav815 definition of recruiting circles around Nebraska is, but Penn St has definitely recruited better overall over the past 5 years.

As far as should Nebraska be recruiting better, Nebraska needs to be on par with Penn St., averaging 14 in the recruiting rankings over a 5 year period should not be some pipe dream.
Good stuff, thank you. Once you consider that both are generally beginning inside the top 25, PSU averaging around 5 slots better than NU depending on the ranking service is a big gap. And they're not even the top of the conference in recruiting, OSU and Michigan are.

We're 5 slots away from just being the #3 team at recruiting in our own conference. Count that among the reasons we're over here year after year going, "Yeah but the schedule is just brutal, the B1G is so unfair to us in scheduling." When you struggle to be #4 in your own conference at signing good recruits and then you go along lose a bunch of the best ones off the roster, yeah the other teams start to look pretty tough.

Nebraska hasn't developed its highest ranked recruits, but there have been signs of development.

QB - Noah Vedral, 5.3 2*, developed into a P5 starter despite seeing his completion percentage, yards per attempt, and QBR drop after transferring.

RB - Devine Ozigbo, 5.6 3*, physically looked and played differently under the current staff when he nearly matched his 2015-2017 output (1114 yards rushing) in 2018 (1082 yards rushing on a career high 7.0 yards per carry).

WR - Kade Warner, Unranked, went from walk-on to P5 scholarship holder at multiple universities. JD Spielman, 5.7 3*, had his best season in 2019 and set his career high in touchdowns in 2018 before totalling 5 catches in 3 games with 0 touchdowns in 2020 at TCU.

TE- Jack Stoll, 5.6 3*, turned into an UDFA. Austin Allen, 5.6 3*, went from probable non-contributor to potential NFL contributor.

OL - In 2021 Nebraska had two OLinemen drafted, Brendan Jaimes and Matt Farniok, both 5.7 3*s, in the same draft for the first time since 2009.

DL - Ben Stille and Casey Rogers, both 5.6 3*s, have developed well. Carlos Davis, 5.7 3*, was drafted in 2020.

LB - JoJo Domann, 5.6 3*, has turned into one of the conference's top athletes. Former walk-on Luke Reimer, Unranked Safety, could end up being the best LB Nebraska's had since Lavonte David.

DB - CTB, 5.5 3*, is probably a 2nd day draft candidate today. DiCaprio Bootle, 5.5 3*, led the B1G conference in passes defended in 2018 and is currently on an NFL roster.

ST - Connor Culp, 5.3 2*, won the conference Kicker of the Year honor in 2020 after doing very little over the course of his career at LSU.

Nebraska needs to win some games and hit on some highly ranked recruits, but the current staff's developed some players over the course of their short tenures in Lincoln.

Nice post

247 Rankings/Rivals

I think Nebraska could recruit the same kind of players as Penn St., if the team were successful over a period of time. I mean difference makers. I wouldn't, however, expect the Huskers to have better classes than Penn St. That is discounting or not even recognizing their natural advantage.

Reactions: Laner2

That is alot of stupid and doesn't seem to have any grounds in reality. I wanted to refute and explain, but you just shit yourself. Clean up.

I know you have me on mute because the truth can sometimes fly in the face of your beliefs, but we signed 10 4* kids Frost's first year without playing a single game.

the difference is Franklin won with his and ours transferred elsewhere or never got any better.

Are you crying? You talk about recruiting to a losing program and expect to field top 15 classes and do better than Penn St. Who is situated in a densely populated area? And people agree with you?

Delusional and dumb as ****. Our coaches need to be better recruiters. Right? Lol. What are they selling? I can't even

This is a very mediocre group of p5 starters. I’m not sure you proved your point.

At minimum 10 of the 16 players not named Appleget will or are currently getting a shot in the NFL.

16 of the 16 players noted are 3* or lower recruits.

You may not like the point, but it's easily made.
These guys started on a bottom 25% team in the B1G. Make your case as to why we need more players like them. And wth does this staff have to do with Ozigbo’s development. If you have to go back 7 years to find a 5.5 Nebraska recruit that played a minute in the nfl your point isn’t made.

These guys started on a bottom 25% team in the B1G. Make your case as to why we need more players like them. And wth does this staff have to do with Ozigbo’s development. If you have to go back 7 years to find a 5.5 Nebraska recruit that played a minute in the nfl your point isn’t made.
We don't know that he'll eventually do in the NFL, but
Also, this guy is still very young, but looks thus far to be promising.
This guy had 21 tackles in his first year after switching positions.
So a guy who is basically a lock for the league, plus another that is on a trajectory that might include the NFL. And a third who is likely to provide quality depth at a position as long as he's here.

We don't know that he'll eventually do in the NFL, but

Also, this guy is still very young, but looks thus far to be promising.

This guy had 21 tackles in his first year after switching positions.

So a guy who is basically a lock for the league, plus another that is on a trajectory that might include the NFL. And a third who is likely to provide quality depth at a position as long as he's here.
Might wanna slow your roll on shipping Piper and Payne off to the league. Did I miss where Piper even starts? And then you said 21 tackles like it was a lot.

The point is made, but it doesn't fit the woe is me narrative you're constantly pushing.

Developmental programs that fail to develop elite talent won't win much, so that's not a point of contention which is why I noted it in my original post.

As for Ozigbo, if you can't physically see the difference in his appearance from 2017 to 2018 nobody is going to make you. The guy went from quality depth piece to NFL player in about 10 months and you can credit whomever you choose to for that.

Regardless, this staff does have some legitimate developmental credentials. Marcus Mariota went from 3* to superstar under Frost's tutelage. Shaquem Griffin went from unused Safety to conference DPOY after they moved him to LB. CTB has gone from 5.5 3* to probable early-round NFL guy.

That aside, these things take time. Wisconsin, Cal, TCU, Kentucky, etc. earned their statuses as developmental programs over time. Frost isn't going to earn that reputation in three years at Nebraska. I think most people would at least be momentarily okay with Nebraska putting a 3* in the Draft every year, which is exactly what they'll be averaging when CTB is drafted next year, plus a couple of other guys in the League as UDFAs, if they can also develop some upper level talent to push them past teams like the aforementioned ones listed above.

Both the data points and common sense will indicate that you're never going to consistently beat teams like OU or OSU or Bama if you're stacking developed 3* players against developed 4 and 5* players, it simply won't happen on a regular basis, but to say Nebraska's current staff hasn't given the appearance of being able to develop lower level guys is inaccurate even in the small sample we have to choose from.

Last edited:
Dedrick, Rahmir, Marvin, Ronald, Sevion, and Yant were all injured and/or unavailable last season? How is an entire depth chart unavailable? Have we ever had a year where we've had to use our best WR as our every down back? Since moving away from the option, have we ever relied mainly on walk-on WRs for most of a season.

Such a strange roster situation last year.
After Wandale Taylor Martinez (Yes I know Adrian)was really the back of choice. We had wide-out who didn't want to block even for other Wideouts. A ton of possession receivers( Who struggled to get open ) and no blow the top off people. All in all this was not a formula for success. We blame the offensive line and then the two draftees we have are offensive linemen. Maybe scrollers don't have all the answers.

Might wanna slow your roll on shipping Piper and Payne off to the league. Did I miss where Piper even starts? And then you said 21 tackles like it was a lot.
I didn't send either to the league, but certainly it's reasonable to thing a kid who started 7 of 8 games on the OL as a RS freshman might (not will) have a professional football future. Doubt Payne will play in the NFL, but 21 tackles and a couple of pass deflects for a reserve player who since arriving from Lincoln had shoulder surgery, got Covid, lost weight and switched to OLB.
A few lower regarded players have always and will always play key roles for this team as they do on many other teams. BTW, I am not among those who thinks we have all of the blue chip layers we want or need. But looking at the projected depth chart, we head into the season with the following
QB-5.9
RB-5.8
WR-5.8, 5.9, FCS All-American
OL - 5.8, 5.9, 5.5, 5.6, 6
TE - 5.6
The defense returns almost intact, with Newsome (5.7) and Heinrich (5.9) as projected new starters. I'd say there are a good amount of blue chip guys already littering the top line on the depth chart.

ADVERTISEMENT