ADVERTISEMENT

Appleget commits

If they felt comfortable offering him after his workout, then you at least know they came away feeling he belongs. Welcome aboard!!

Busy day today

Both commitments today were expected. June typically is Nebraska's big commitment month with all the June camps.

Like he had alot to choose from!! This isnt a surprize at all. Nebraska or Minnesota..Frost is killing it landing these low 3 star kids.Lose this year and we might see alot of 2 star kids..
Yeah well people here have their head in the sand. This is an atrocious class so far. We have no 500 miles radius…he’ll we have no 50 mile radius. We have a staff that has shown clear issues with player development and retention, and we are landing nothing but low 3* projects and “diamonds in the rough”. People here scoff at the idea of striving to get to the level that Iowa has been at for years, but they are defending this low level recruiting.

Yeah well people here have their head in the sand. This is an atrocious class so far. We have no 500 miles radius…he’ll we have no 50 mile radius. We have a staff that has shown clear issues with player development and retention, and we are landing nothing but low 3* projects and “diamonds in the rough”. People here scoff at the idea of striving to get to the level that Iowa has been at for years, but they are defending this low level recruiting.
Suck a duck.

A three star kid who has his head on straight is probably a better get for this program right now than a four star with issues who only chooses NU because he doesn't have a better option. And we've had quite a few lately in the latter category.

[/QUOTE
R.E.L.A.X.
The grade will come from how this staff finishes this class , not how they start.
A quick glance at division rivals reveals no one is killing it. I’d recommend to sit back and “enjoy “ the ride.
GBR!

A three star kid who has his head on straight is probably a better get for this program right now than a four star with issues who only chooses NU because he doesn't have a better option. And we've had quite a few lately in the latter category.
Agree. I still think we need to get 4*s but really need to make sure we have a process to vet kids. I'm all about getting some 3* solid football players that we can develop, but that isn't ever going to win us anything. We may compete, but you have to have blue chippers to be elite. As we build though I definitely agree with your take. I also really like a couple of our 3 stars. Nothing flashy, but just really really solid football players and we need some of those.

Agree. I still think we need to get 4*s but really need to make sure we have a process to vet kids. I'm all about getting some 3* solid football players that we can develop, but that isn't ever going to win us anything. We may compete, but you have to have blue chippers to be elite. As we build though I definitely agree with your take. I also really like a couple of our 3 stars. Nothing flashy, but just really really solid football players and we need some of those.
Plus I think the jury is still out for a lot of posters on here regarding how well this staff has/can develop players ACROSS the entire team. There's hope but it hasn't translated into winning yet.

I agree. pretty lackluster so far.

just like every year, we need better players all over.

I'm sure the staff know more than these sites, but offer lists leave a bit to be desired. beating out kstate for our 'best' kids doesn't exactly lend itself to tons of optimism, though most would say that ship has long sailed for this poster.

Plus I think the jury is still out for a lot of posters on here regarding how well this staff has/can develop players ACROSS the entire team. There's hope but it hasn't translated into winning yet.

I agree.

QB - Awful development and that weirdo needs to be gone
RB - I like held, but our backs haven't looked that good outside of Devine. I do like Ervin a lot, but the development has been there. Held needs to step up.
WR - Bad. Need to figure this out.
TE - I've actually been ok with the TE's. Need to get more looks, but blocking has been decent,
OL - Hasn't been good, but I sure like the young kids and I actually think they did progress last year. Hopefully they make a bigger jump this year.

DL - I actually think we have developed well here.
LB - Need to develop a hell of a lot better. They show some flashes, but ugly
Secondary - I think Fish is a stud and get's everything out of those dudes.

ST - Awful.

I agree.

RB - I like held, but our backs haven't looked that good outside of Devine. I do like Ervin a lot, but the development has been there. Held needs to step up.
TE - I've actually been ok with the TE's. Need to get more looks, but blocking has been decent,
OL - Hasn't been good, but I sure like the young kids and I actually think they did progress last year. Hopefully they make a bigger jump this year.

ST - Awful.
Here's my broad look at things. I'm glad we're moving away from pure dual threat QB over to VERY mobile pro style. Two reasons. I think Frost and company are learning, especially in the b1g, it's hard to keep QB healthy when running him as much as we have. Why are we doing that? Because we haven't had that elite Sunday running back. Why haven't we had that style of running back? Maybe because we run too much QB. Featured running backs want the ball 20-30 times per game. Then you have to keep the backup happy with 10-15 touches AND then it's nice IF you can get 3 and 4 string 5-10 touches between them to keep them focused and hungry AND out of the portal. None of that gonna happen when QB is getting 20-30 carries per game out of zone read.

Just my opinion

Here's my broad look at things. I'm glad we're moving away from pure dual threat QB over to VERY mobile pro style. Two reasons. I think Frost and company are learning, especially in the b1g, it's hard to keep QB healthy when running him as much as we have. Why are we doing that? Because we haven't had that elite Sunday running back. Why haven't we had that style of running back? Maybe because we run too much QB. Featured running backs want the ball 20-30 times per game. Then you have to keep the backup happy with 10-15 touches AND then it's nice IF you can get 3 and 4 string 5-10 touches between them to keep them focused and hungry AND out of the portal. None of that gonna happen when QB is getting 20-30 carries per game out of zone read.

Just my opinion
these are my favorite kinds of posts.

in order to get our offense to middle-of-the-road, we need elite RB/WR.

OR - maybe, just maybe, we can get avg QB play? maybe.

Mills was our best offensive player last year. I have no clue why we didn't give him the ball more when he was healthy.

Of those recruits from Frost's transition class, 6 of 15 players rated 5.7 or higher remain on the roster, with Honas being counted to this. Retention is a bit better for the next class, 10/20), and 10/14 for the 2020 class. Offense is Frost's calling card, but his early recruiting of WRs and RBs was swing and miss mostly. Those pieces may now be on the roster. Chin on the other hand has been able to incrementally improve the D from woeful to competent and he gets some help this year from several Super Seniors.
In terms of development, Cam T-B (QB in HS), Piper (recruited as a DT), Javin Wright (next Jojo), Reimer (walkon to starting ILB) count as developmental wins.
The first two years of this staff was full of roster churn and classes where ultimately about 50% of the kids didn't want to be in Lincoln. On offense, I think there is now a lot of talent on the roster. On defense Frost and Chin should make sure they remember those Super Seniors on special occasions, as those guys are really saving the program's bacon.

I feel bad for guys like this because he SHOULD be a nice, celebrated piece of a class that has some bigger names to drive momentum but instead he's another in a string of 3* so he triggers fan frustration through zero fault of his own.

There does seem to have been an issue with the 4* kids NU has gotten lately, they've disproportionately quit the team, failed to produce, or both. They should be most likely to be NFL draft picks, but they feel most likely to never clear the over on 1.5 seasons played at NU.

This staff is increasingly struggling to land and keep 4* talent nor even sniff a commit from a 5* kid. There's nothing wrong with having some guys like this, but it sure would help sentiment to hit on some big fish real soon.

It's just another summer of watching this staff fall wayyyyyy behind the top of the conference and trying to find reasons why we shouldn't find that worrisome. NU has zero 4* commits thus far.

Rutgers has 5 commits from 4* kids per 247. Rutgers. The same team NU beat in spite of like a million turnovers can get 5 guys who are 4*. Penn State has 7 of them, which is the same number as we have in the whole class. The same atrocious Penn State team we beat last year. But tell me more about how we have to win first before we could possibly get good kids.

Just my opinion
When Frost's offense is running it's best, he is going to have about 42 rushes per game on average. In his 5 years at Oregon/ UCF and then his 3 years here, only Royce Freeman averaged more than 20 rushes per game, 2015 when he averaged 21. Freeman also only had about 1.5 receptions per game, so even adding those, his touches were 23 per game. I just don't see Frost having a running back get 300 carries (25 per game) in a season.

I believe he wants about 5 guys getting about 3 or 4 catches per game, a RB who gets 18-20 carries per game and a QB who gets about 8 or 9, the remaining 12-15 carries split between a couple of other guys. Run the ball about 42 times and throw the ball around 30.

Rutgers has 5 commits from 4* kids per 247. Rutgers. The same team NU beat in spite of like a million turnovers can get 5 guys who are 4*. Penn State has 7 of them, which is the same number as we have in the whole class. The same atrocious Penn State team we beat last year. But tell me more about how we have to win first before we could possibly get good kids.
last year was a blip for PSU/Franklin, not a downward trend.

Greg Schiano is doing exactly what Frost did his first full year (10 4* recruits). if they don't win, his 4th class will look just like ours. duh.

When Frost's offense is running it's best, he is going to have about 42 rushes per game on average. In his 5 years at Oregon/ UCF and then his 3 years here, only Royce Freeman averaged more than 20 rushes per game, 2015 when he averaged 21. Freeman also only had about 1.5 receptions per game, so even adding those, his touches were 23 per game. I just don't see Frost having a running back get 300 carries (25 per game) in a season.

I believe he wants about 5 guys getting about 3 or 4 catches per game, a RB who gets 18-20 carries per game and a QB who gets about 8 or 9, the remaining 12-15 carries split between a couple of other guys. Run the ball about 42 times and throw the ball around 30.
I think you're right, I just wish it wasn't true. I think he'd have a few more in the W column if he would do what his best offensive players are capable of executing rather than call the best whiteboard play for the situation.

You see it over and over, great play call, it's there, it sets up, and they just blow it. They could have uglied their way to several more wins over the last couple years if they'd have just let Mills mash more often.

You see it over and over, great play call, it's there, it sets up, and they just blow it. They could have uglied their way to several more wins over the last couple years if they'd have just let Mills mash more often.
If Corn is correct, Mills was less than 100% most of the season.

I agree.

ST - Awful.
Pretty much right on. Except the ST rating is WAY too high.

I think you're right, I just wish it wasn't true. I think he'd have a few more in the W column if he would do what his best offensive players are capable of executing rather than call the best whiteboard play for the situation.

Mills couldn't stay healthy with the limited touches he had.

I see what you mean with uglying your way to wins, but I believe that is the crux of the problem with this staff and the fan base. He was hired, in large part, because of the success of his offensive philosophy. I wouldn't expect to hire a head coach that was a top defensive coordinator, then expect that coach, who ran a 3-4, to change to a 4-3 just because that is what worked for the legendary coach of the 90's. He has to do him.

Reactions: timnsun and WHCSC
Mills avg 4.7 yards per carry last year. I thought he was better in 2019.

Judging from the roster, I believe Nebraska can make a decent jump to 7 wins this year. I think the OL will be better, there are going to be more options at WR and RB, but has been said far too much, the QB needs to be able to execute the down field passing game and not turn the ball over.
I honestly think if we can get to even middle of the road in terms of explosive plays, we can overcome the exact same amount of turnovers

I do not, however, think we can replicate the futility of the last 2+ years and win just by limiting turnovers

He was healthy for two games.

Week one and week 8. I think they tried to hard to get Luke the ball in week one.
Dedrick, Rahmir, Marvin, Ronald, Sevion, and Yant were all injured and/or unavailable last season? How is an entire depth chart unavailable? Have we ever had a year where we've had to use our best WR as our every down back? Since moving away from the option, have we ever relied mainly on walk-on WRs for most of a season.

Such a strange roster situation last year.

Dedrick, Rahmir, Marvin, Ronald, Sevion, and Yant were all injured and/or unavailable last season? How is an entire depth chart unavailable? Have we ever had a year where we've had to use our best WR as our every down back? Since moving away from the option, have we ever relied mainly on walk-on WRs for most of a season.

1. Yant wasn't eligible last season.
2. Rahmir has the durability of plexi glass.
3. Ronald was suspended twice and really just not any good.
4. Marvin was a true freshman without a Spring, but also missed a game due to a false positive Covid Test. He was probably the kid they trusted the most, but without a Spring or normal Fall, he didn't really know the offense much. That's why he only got about 5 to 8 carries per game.
5. Sevion Morrison still hasn't ever completed a full week of practice since he's been in Lincoln, Fall or Spring.

6. Dedrick was only 100% for about 5 carries in game one. Then he was about 75% of the Purdue and Minnesota games. He was back to game shape by Rutgers when he ran for 191 yards.

Reactions: bigredhunter

The young backs didn't get a spring and summer work was limited, then the fall season was in doubt for awhile. There are no scholarship WRs remaining on the roster from Frost's first two recruiting classes, so that was pretty much a start from scratch situation. The only back that remains is Rahmir, and he is probably next man up at the Portal. So depth at RB and WR is only now being built. I think it's fair to say they were recruiting RBs and WRs that would have been just fine in the American, but not so much the B1G. That's a big fail in the recruiting game. I think recruiting at these positions has now been upgraded, but we'll know for sure this fall.

Reactions: TheBeav815
1. Yant wasn't eligible last season.
2. Rahmir has the durability of plexi glass.
3. Ronald was suspended twice and really just not any good.
4. Marvin was a true freshman without a Spring, but also missed a game due to a false positive Covid Test. He was probably the kid they trusted the most, but without a Spring or normal Fall, he didn't really know the offense much. That's why he only got about 5 to 8 carries per game.
5. Sevion Morrison still hasn't ever completed a full week of practice since he's been in Lincoln, Fall or Spring.

6. Dedrick was only 100% for about 5 carries in game one. Then he was about 75% of the Purdue and Minnesota games. He was back to game shape by Rutgers when he ran for 191 yards.
At some point, the recruiting cards have to come up in NU's favor at instead of bust at RB. Of the three recent all-time list RBs, only one (Rex) was a blue-chip recruit. Roy was a 5.5. All three of these backs had the want-it factor. In the league NU plays in, the expectation is that nearly all of the players will have talent. The want-it factor is the good to great piece, and possibly the hardest to judge.
I think the story (along with some really bad luck) is that depth was weak when Frost got here, Bell was a reach that was a never could have been, Mo was a what could have been, with Thompkins and Rahmir being out and out busts. Mills was serviceable. Of Sevion, Stepp, Yant, Ervin and Scott III, are there a couple of guys who can both remain healthy and play B1G football. How many of these five have a lot of want-it?
Also, do we have any idea as to how Stepp i progressing with his re-hab?

Reactions: red scowl
ADVERTISEMENT