ADVERTISEMENT

Apathy towards Bama

RedMyMind

Head Coach
Aug 22, 2017
Anyone else feel that Bama isn't really interesting to watch/follow?

Not trying to diminish what they are doing but I'm just not impressed or captivated with what they are doing these days. Same great recruits plugged in, running the same schemes to outmatch their opponents without much worry of slipping up.

Maybe it's because the intrigue just isn't there. They seems like Titans while every other team are mere mortals. Much more interested in the mortals.

Disagree their offense has almost completely flipped and Tua is a monster at QB.

Alabama has become like UConn in women’s basketball. In a league of their own and it’s not even fair for everyone else. At the same time, you never know. USC was also invincible in the mid nineties until Vince Young proved different.
Correction... Nebraska was invincible in the mid 90’s. USC was invincible in the mid 2000’s. Bama is invincible now.

What I dislike about Bama’s dominance is that they have one of the top classes every year. Top players go there and we never really get to see them showcase their ability in college. For example, they have a 5 star RB and he’s 3rd string. He could be All Conference at another school and a household name but most people have no clue who the guy is!

I look forward to Bama no longer getting every top recruit, every season. College football will be so much better when top talent isn’t being stock piled at one school.

Not trying to diminish what they are doing but I'm just not impressed or captivated with what they are doing these days. Same great recruits plugged in, running the same schemes to outmatch their opponents without much worry of slipping up.

Maybe it's because the intrigue just isn't there. They seems like Titans while every other team are mere mortals. Much more interested in the mortals.

Nobody liked watching Nebraska in the mid-90s either, outside the state.

I like watching Alabama. They play football how it should be played. It's not much different than we were in the 90s. Or any national championship team for that matter. They found a formula to win. They've found a way to have success. With the coach that they have, they've been able to enjoy it longer than most.

I want to witness greatness, I want to watch the best. I don't have as much interest in watching who's going to be second place.

They're like the Tim Duncan era Spurs. I'll say this for Saban, he's not a football genius or anything, but he does some important things better than any coach I've ever seen. He manages to get all of his highly recruited players to work well together. His teams never give worse than a B effort in a game. His staff is always excellent and has good chemistry, which indicates that he is a very effective manager. He's probably the best "CEO" type coach the college game has ever seen. He's not a great game day coach, but his Sunday through Friday work more than makes up for this.

I like watching Alabama. They play football how it should be played. It's not much different than we were in the 90s. Or any national championship team for that matter. They found a formula to win. They've found a way to have success. With the coach that they have, they've been able to enjoy it longer than most.

I want to witness greatness, I want to watch the best. I don't have as much interest in watching who's going to be second place.
I wouldn't wanna watch a roster of Labron James'. I don't understand how that could be interesting to watch.

Reactions: mmunso7 and 9and4

Oldjar, the formula they found is collecting the most talent, every season! They have brought in a minimum of 20 combined four and five stars each season for the past 4 seasons. All the top kids are going to one school. Honestly there isnt even a major need to develop talent there. If one player doesn't pan out, theres a depth chart full of underutilized top recruits ready to take his place. Sadly, a lot of the top talent from each class completely goes unnoticed because there's only one ball to go around at each program.

I don't see how this continues to happen every season. I really don't see how this is good for college football.

Alabama recruiting rankings
2017: #1 class. 29 signees. 7 five stars. 19 four stars
2016: #1 class. 24 signees. 5 five stars. 10 four stars
2015: #2 class. 25 signees. 4 five stars. 15 four stars
2014: #1 class. 26 signees. 6 five stars. 13 four stars
2013: #1 class. 25 signees. 4 five stars. 13 four stars
2012: #1 class. 26 signees. 3 five stars. 14 four stars
2011: #1 class. 23 signees. 3 five stars. 13 four stars
2010: #5 class. 26 signees. 1 five star. 15 four stars
2009: #1 class. 27 signees. 4 five stars. 14 four stars
2008: #1 class. 32 signees. 3 five stars. 19 four stars

Classes before Saban got there:
2007: #10 class. 25 signees. 0 five stars. 10 four stars
2006: #11 class. 23 signees. 2 five stars. 10 four stars
2005: #18 class. 31 signees. 0 five stars. 6 four stars
2004: #15 class. 29 signees. 0 five stars. 4 four stars
2003: #49 class. 19 signees. 0 five stars. 4 four stars
2002: #30 class. 19 signees. 1 five star. 4 four stars

Last edited:
Nobody seems to be able to match their physicality on the line of scrimmage. Until someone can, the results will be the same.

Reactions: SoFL Husker
Nobody seems to be able to match their physicality on the line of scrimmage. Until someone can, the results will be the same.

Personally, I think the only way to beat Bama is to jog out a dual-threat like the Texans QB, along with neutralizing their lines.

Clemson is big enough, but I am not sure their freshman Qb is there yet.

2018 Alabama will be one of, if not the greatest of all time. And it kills me to say that. Only reason they may not get that kind of recognition is their schedule. Then again, at LSU, Georgia on a neutral, Michigan, and Clemson might be enough.

Reactions: oldjar07
They're like the Tim Duncan era Spurs. I'll say this for Saban, he's not a football genius or anything, but he does some important things better than any coach I've ever seen. He manages to get all of his highly recruited players to work well together. His teams never give worse than a B effort in a game. His staff is always excellent and has good chemistry, which indicates that he is a very effective manager. He's probably the best "CEO" type coach the college game has ever seen. He's not a great game day coach, but his Sunday through Friday work more than makes up for this.

Maybe I’m reading too much into your post, but I think you believe Saban doesn’t do much individual coaching. Nick Saban is likely the best DB coach in the country.

Reactions: otismotis08
When Saban leaves, you will see Bama fall back to a 2 loss type team most years. Saban is a HUGE difference maker, just like Pete Carroll was at USC, Switzer at OU, Bryant at Bama way back when. Saban brings in talent, but you have to coach them up to get the end results that he gets. When you have 100 play scrimmages at times during the season just two days before a game, like Saban does if things didn't go the way he wanted in the prior weeks game or during the week in practice, you're going to get a machine like performance on Saturdays, as we see with Alabama. Efficiency and perfection is what he strives for, and it shows on game day.

Reactions: saluno22
At the beginning of the game, the announcers said that their defense doesn't have the playmakers and isn't as strong as in the past few years. Pitching a shutdown in Death Valley tells me otherwise.
I would take their defensive players anytime! If about a dozen of them wanted to transfer to Nebraska, I'd roll out the Red Carpet myself.:D

When Saban leaves, you will see Bama fall back to a 2 loss type team most years. Saban is a HUGE difference maker, just like Pete Carroll was at USC, Switzer at OU, Bryant at Bama way back when. Saban brings in talent, but you have to coach them up to get the end results that he gets. When you have 100 play scrimmages at times during the season just two days before a game, like Saban does if things didn't go the way he wanted in the prior weeks game or during the week in practice, you're going to get a machine like performance on Saturdays, as we see with Alabama. Efficiency and perfection is what he strives for, and it shows on game day.

Probably wishful thinking. Look for Dabo to go home when Saban hangs it up and they keep on tucking for awhile.

I couldn't care less about SEC football or ACC or BIGXII. PAC is boring. I maybe wrong but I feel the BIG10 is most competitive top to bottom.

You know with all this pay for play stuff going on with basketball I’m surprised there hasn’t been any outside probes into foodball, I’m not going to call out just Alabama cuz there are a lot more teams that do it... but with the recent stuff from the basketball side it just shows how ineffective the NCAA really is it’s a joke really

You know with all this pay for play stuff going on with basketball I’m surprised there hasn’t been any outside probes into foodball, I’m not going to call out just Alabama cuz there are a lot more teams that do it... but with the recent stuff from the basketball side it just shows how ineffective the NCAA really is it’s a joke really
The NCAA is just as corrupt and college football!! There way to big of a bureaucracy, the left hand doesn't know what the right had is doing. Need to drain that swamp also

Reactions: 8th Street
At the beginning of the game, the announcers said that their defense doesn't have the playmakers and isn't as strong as in the past few years. Pitching a shutdown in Death Valley tells me otherwise.
That D is all 4 and 5 stars.

I wouldn't wanna watch a roster of Labron James'. I don't understand how that could be interesting to watch.
I'd rather watch that than a bunch of mediocre teams tripping over themselves to see who wins. Alabama plays great football. They can move the ball at will. They play good defense. It's fun to watch.

Maybe I’m reading too much into your post, but I think you believe Saban doesn’t do much individual coaching. Nick Saban is likely the best DB coach in the country.

I didn't mean he was a figurehead like Joe Pa and Bowden in their dotages. I meant that he performed the CEO role better than any other college coach I had seen. I think the level of attention to detail and consistency proves that he has a very active hand in the entire operation. Where I think there are now and have been better coaches is the game planning and game day stuff.

Saban puts his team together a certain way and they go out and do more or less the same thing at the same intensity week to week. Given how much talent he has at his disposal this approach has been incredibly successful; you haven't seen the equivalent of a 1992 Iowa State game or even a 1997 Missouri game from a Saban coached team. But, when he goes up against a team with enough talent not to be overwhelmed, his teams sometimes get out-schemed (a couple of times against Auburn, Ole Miss, Oklahoma in that Sugar Bowl, Ohio State in 2014.) During his tenure they haven't lost a game due to a lack of execution or effort or enthusiasm, or aside from his first two seasons, due to the other team having superior talent; when they've lost it's been because the other team had a better plan in place and was talented enough to carry it out.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT