ADVERTISEMENT

aOSU v Clemson

I always find it funny how so many people automatically blame the coaches when there is plenty of blame to put on the players. Day made a brilliant play call on that screen pass to Dobbins, it would have been an easy TD if Dobbins doesn't drop the ball. OSU's final play seemed to be a pretty good call, if the receiver continues his route to the right rather than breaking back to the left, that may very well have been a TD instead of an INT. Not every call was perfect, but they are never going to be.

The only things I would say I flat out disagreed with is not going for two after their final TD, although it didn't end up mattering; and going for the block on the play that resulted in the roughing penalty. While hindsight is always 20-20, I remember thinking before the play happened that they should go full on return. Clemson was fairly deep in their own territory, a situation where you either are getting good field position off a bad or mediocre punt; or the punter is out kicking his coverage, giving an opportunity for a good return. The game was too close at the point to risk getting a penalty like they did.

I thought is play calling at critical times Was too conservative. I didn’t like the series before Clemson’s last TD. They needed to keep that drive going. Throwing the ball behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 5 wasn’t going to get it done.

I said before it’s a bad rule and implemented worse. He tried to do the hardest thing in football, tackling a qb while running full speed. He lowered his head and made contact to the helmet. Doesn’t matter if Lawrence ducks down. See what you tackle it’s that simple. I know you think you’re right and not gonna change your mind. If it was a Husker qb, other than Martinez, would you still feel the same?

That was an incredible game. But regardless, whoever won that game was the sacrificial lamb to LSU. After watching both games, LSU is a step above every other team in the playoffs.
I don't know how you determine that. The top 3 teams are on another level and I don't know how you could count Clemson out of a title game. Should be a great game.

Reactions: Chuck003
I don't know how you determine that. The top 3 teams are on another level and I don't know how you could count Clemson out of a title game. Should be a great game.
You shouldn't. my money is on Clemson. Coaching and talent can go a long ways. I paid my mortgage for three months so I am cool. Nebraska? Scott Frost and his 20th rank recruiting class? C'mon now. Looks cool on paper, but really? Not even close to competing with the big boys, Call it like it is and keep your're kool aide crap to yourself.

As an OSU fan, proud of the way the team fought. But, you can't let a team go 94 yards in 4 plays when the game is on the line. Other than Dobbins 2 long runs, Clemson did a good job of stopping the running game (Dobbins bad ankle and Fields gimpy knee didn't help). Lawrence killed us more with his legs than his arm. Missed TD opportunities in the first half really hurt. Give Clemson credit for making made more big plays in the game. I'll be rooting for Joe Burrow and the LSU Tigers in what should be a great championship game.

Reactions: natesonnen
We are so far removed from that level that it is not even funny. Frost will get us there? Are you serious?
I don't think it's out of the question that you could get to the level of Oklahoma with top 20 classes. Upset a team like Ohio State in the Big 10 title game and make the playoffs and strange things can happen. I think with good assistants Frost could get us to that level. He's not going to get there with this current group of AAC level assistants. Not even close. If you look at the top 3 teams this year, they all went hard after the best assistants they could possibly get and it paid dividends. Nothing's going to happen for us until we do the same.

Reactions: Chuck003
I don't think it's out of the question that you could get to the level of Oklahoma with top 20 classes. Upset a team like Ohio State in the Big 10 title game and make the playoffs and strange things can happen. I think with good assistants Frost could get us to that level. He's not going to get there with this current group of AAC level assistants. Not even close. If you look at the top 3 teams this year, they all went hard after the best assistants they could possibly get and it paid dividends. Nothing's going to happen for us until we do the same.
Bingo

Maybe. But in 5-10 years will SF's current guys become top flight assistants who will remain loyal and stick together?

Maybe. But in 5-10 years will SF's current guys become top flight assistants who will remain loyal and stick together?
Wouldn't count on it. A lot of times loyalty is a one way street. If one of our better assistants finds what he believes to be a better opportunity, that initial loyalty shown by bringing him here is going to have a relatively small impact on whether he chooses to stay or go. If he really believes there's a better opportunity out there, he's most likely going to leave no matter how much loyalty was shown.

Wouldn't count on it. A lot of times loyalty is a one way street. If one of our better assistants finds what he believes to be a better opportunity, that initial loyalty shown by bringing him here is going to have a relatively small impact on whether he chooses to stay or go. If he really believes there's a better opportunity out there, he's most likely going to leave no matter how much loyalty was shown.

Time will tell. One of TO's key strengths was being able to endear himself to his staff and keep things together.

I know the ACC sucks worse than the B1G....which both lack compared to the SEC, but OSU got beat by the first team they played with equal talent, look at their schedule...it's freaking putrid. LSU would rape 'em even worse, and they wouldn't bother using lube first.

In toms 20 some years of coaching I can only think of a had full of assistants leaving. If you exclude so of the guys that left after he took over from bob, maybe 4 I see lance van zant, Gene Huey,Kevin Steele, and Tony samuels. Did I miss anyone?

In toms 20 some years of coaching I can only think of a had full of assistants leaving. If you exclude so of the guys that left after he took over from bob, maybe 4 I see lance van zant, Gene Huey,Kevin Steele, and Tony samuels. Did I miss anyone?

Believe Warren Powers he left after the 1976 season..he left for Washington State..

Ohio State got screwed by the refs. Saw it start happening towards the end of the 1st half. Turned it off at halftime and watched a movie with my wife. Frustrating...
Not a fan of OSU but they got screwed!!! Let’s hope big 10 officials do the national championship game

I am just not following why people think OSU got screwed...were the refs not supposed to call the game per the current rules because OSU is, well...OSU???

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Not going to say a word about the officials, but Pac-12 officials should officiate the Natty because they have no dog in the fight at all.

As for the semi-final, the first game should also be officiated the Power 5 league that didn't qualify. To minimize bias, it should be a different crew than the one that will call the Natty.

The second game should have two crews there, one from each conference playing in the 1st game. The conference that loses the first game should then officiate the second game to reduce any sense of bias. Instead, SEC officials called the second game with a team from their conference waiting for the winner - with the perception that they may want to see LSU play a certain team. The NCAA set themselves up for criticism through poor planning.

And none of this even addresses the replay official, who hasn't been identified to my knowledge, and the many controversies that most people are discussing regarding those calls. Not a shining moment by the NCAA despite the great game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT