ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watching the World Cup?

You are right about that. Spain, a shadow of its former self playing a russia punching far above their class. Fitness will decide this one.

Spain played the whole match like they just expected the ball to magically float into the net. No urgency and just no caring. 800+ passes completed looks great if you win. They did nothing in the final 3rd. They deserved to go out

Wow, this Denmark-Croatia game is already a scoring explosion. 1st and 4th minute!

The common theme running through this is age. Spain is the tottering giant that has failed to impress (along with Italy and Holland who didn't make it and Germany who went out in the group stage). Losing their manager the day before doesn't help, but you could tell that Iniesta, Alba and some of the other have seen better days. Teams like France, Belgium and England with younger teams are doing much better. Brazil has been fairly unimpressive as well, but they always find a way through, but I think those are the 4 best teams right now with the best shot at advancing and my guess at the final four.

Denmark/Croatia, two teams playing to not lose instead of trying to win. TBF, the save in extra time against Modric was huge to sent it to spot kicks.

Reactions: saluno22
The common theme running through this is age. Spain is the tottering giant that has failed to impress (along with Italy and Holland who didn't make it and Germany who went out in the group stage). Losing their manager the day before doesn't help, but you could tell that Iniesta, Alba and some of the other have seen better days. Teams like France, Belgium and England with younger teams are doing much better. Brazil has been fairly unimpressive as well, but they always find a way through, but I think those are the 4 best teams right now with the best shot at advancing and my guess at the final four.

Denmark/Croatia, two teams playing to not lose instead of trying to win. TBF, the save in extra time against Modric was huge to sent it to spot kicks.
And youth will be a big advantage as the schedule compresses down the stretch of the tournament.

Being of English and Scottish descent, when the US is not involved I’m a homer for England. With Argentina, Portugal and Spain out this is really setting up nicely for the English.

Being of English and Scottish descent, when the US is not involved I’m a homer for England. With Argentina, Portugal and Spain out this is really setting up nicely for the English.
You have to like their draw at the bottom of the bracket, too.

My wife is English, it was funny how many of them were perfectly ok with losing. I said, you still have to beat Columbia you know, they did win their group :p Heck both Belgium and England both didn't play their first team in their match. It is good to have a good enough bench to rest players and give others a run.

You have to like their draw at the bottom of the bracket, too.

Yep, if they beat Columbia at that point anything sort of a Finals appearance would be disappointing. And considering they are the favorite against Columbia, unless they pull an England like the have the last couple of World Cups, then there is really no reason they shouldn’t make the final. That said, it has been a bit of a strange World Cup so at this point it’s hard to rule anyone out.

OMG! What a match! That is why they play the game. Great job by the japanese showing some great team character out there.

Amazing 2 matches today! Sweden knocks off Switzerland. Geiger loses control of the England v Colombia game (which is no surprise to any MLS follower) which is highly entertaining and ends with England knocking off Colombia in pks. Wow.

Last edited:
Amazing 2 matches today! Sweden knocks off Switzerland. Geiger loses control of the England v Columbia game (which is no surprise to any MLS follower) which is highly entertaining and ends with England knocking off Columbia in pks. Wow.
How did Columbia get in? They didn't even win the Ivy League. Winking

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Amazing 2 matches today! Sweden knocks off Switzerland. Geiger loses control of the England v Columbia game (which is no surprise to any MLS follower) which is highly entertaining and ends with England knocking off Columbia in pks. Wow.

Geiger's an excellent referee, and I think he did about as well as anyone could have in getting through this one.

I'd guess he has a shot at getting a semi, particularly if UEFA and CONMEBOL split the two matches on the top side of the bracket.

I dunno, he seemed to lose control of the match. This circus of surrounding the ref when a call doesn’t go your way is getting out of control.

It is, but the directive to put a stop to that needs to come from the top. Given that none of the referees have stamped down on dissent/mass confrontation, it's clear that the referees haven't been directed to penalize it.

I'd love to see yellow or even occasionally red in those situations, but any ref that decides to unilaterally put an end to dissent is risking the end of their top-level career.

Geiger totally lost control of the match. By the time he showed a yellow the game had already gotten out of control. Even the commentators (who usually keep their opinions to themselves) and Dr. Joe whatever commented on Geiger's officiating. After the game they were still shaking their heads over Geiger giving a yellow to the ColOmbia players head butt. ColOmbia is lucky to have finished the match with all 11.

"The Colombia vs England game was a hard, physical contest, with many controversial moments and a ton of yellow cards. But there is something everybody agreed on, no matter whether they were English, Colombian or neutral: American referee Mark Geiger was awful.

:This wasn’t news for MLS fans, who already knew (and warned us) about Geiger’s uneven performances. Now they are enjoying a rare “I told you so” moment, mixed with a little bit of embarrassment, after seeing the reactions of both Colombians and English to the referee’s calls."
http://remezcla.com/sports/colombia-england-mark-geiger-referee-awful/

Last edited:
Geiger totally lost control of the match. By the time he showed a yellow the game had already gotten out of control. Even the commentators (who usually keep their opinions to themselves) and Dr. Joe whatever commented on Geiger's officiating. After the game they were still shaking their heads over Geiger giving a yellow to the ColOmbia players head butt. ColOmbia is lucky to have finished the match with all 11.

He almost lost control, and then he brought it under control with a flurry of yellows after the penalty fiasco. After that, no need for even a caution between 69 and 118. He got through the most contentious match of the tournament so far, a match where neither team seemed particularly interested in playing soccer as opposed to complaining and playacting, and finished an entertaining match with all 22 on the field. At this level, that's a job well done.

Name a referee who would have done it better.

Well, my son agrees with you. He has reffed with gieger before and had him in some clinics.

Glad to see Brazil lose. Guess I'm rooting for Sweden (hottest women) at this point. Guess I would be ok with England winning too.

Does anyone have thoughts on settling these knockout stage games with PKs? I like how hockey settles OT by pulling a man off the ice. I would love to see these teams finish the game the way the game is meant to be played. Maybe start ET with 10, and pull an extra body off the field in 5 or 10 minute increments until a winner is decided?

Does anyone have thoughts on settling these knockout stage games with PKs? I like how hockey settles OT by pulling a man off the ice. I would love to see these teams finish the game the way the game is meant to be played. Maybe start ET with 10, and pull an extra body off the field in 5 or 10 minute increments until a winner is decided?
I was having this discussion at work last week. I can't stand the game being settled by shootout (hockey and soccer). It encourages "lesser" teams to play for penalty shots and not try to win the game in regulation or extra time. We liked the idea of taking a man off the field for each extra period.

I was in Medellin, Colombia for the game vs. England. Exciting times with all the locals going crazy over the game, a fantastic experience. Wish the Husker fans were a rapid as them. Everyone blowing horns and jumping around all game, except at the end of the PK's. Dead silence. Heard players that missed those PK kicks have received death treats.

Reactions: dsmalls3
I was in Medellin, Colombia for the game vs. England. Exciting times with all the locals going crazy over the game, a fantastic experience. Wish the Husker fans were a rapid as them. Everyone blowing horns and jumping around all game, except at the end of the PK's. Dead silence. Heard players that missed those PK kicks have received death treats.

Reactions: dsmalls3
Well, it used to be golden goal to help eliminate penalties. The match has to end at some point and unlike baseball, you can’t just keep a team on the field whose players have just run a half marathon or more. Penalties are part of the nature of the game and hold out that bit of hope for outmatched teams making a cup run.

For those watching, when the hell does this end?!
Sunday.

Remaining games:

Today 1pm CDT
France vs. Belgium

Tomorrow 1pm CDT
Croatia vs. England

14 July 9am CDT
3rd-Place Match

15 July 10am CDT
Championship Match

Last edited:
This picture was attached to an article on MSN sports...just found it kinda funny and odd and sad.

AAzW97X.img

"FIFA wants fewer images of attractive women in World Cup stadiums shown on future broadcasts.

FIFA diversity chief Federico Addiechi says soccer’s world body will talk with national broadcasters and its own TV production team."

Very disappointing showing by England yesterday. Croatia had 38 crosses to England’s 12. How in the hell does that happen? It’s as if England thought they would win by just playing defense, no attacking of the perimeters whatsoever. Croatia certainly earned it yesterday.

And now that makes France the heavy favorite on Sunday. I’m not sure I can stomach watching France win a World Cup.

Croatia plays a very energetic game for an older team...just amazing they can keep going and going not get tired ..play a lot like the Russians did just endurance layered on endurance...nothing fishy at all

Well it was a nice run for Croatia, but they seem overmatched now. Too bad, I was hoping they could pull the upset.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT