ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watching the World Cup?

ThrowBones92

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 5, 2011
Kansas City
I'm not a big soccer fan, I don't normally watch it, but there have been some fantastic games. I'm always amazed at the skill level of the best players in the world. The more I watch, the more I start to understand some of the nuances and strategy of the game, and the more enjoyable it becomes for me. I've started to understand why teams who are outmatched play for a tie, and how it impacts there chances at advancing. My enjoyment of hockey and volleyball have followed the same progression. Brazil and Costa Rica just played a really fantastic game. Croatia made Argentina look pitiful yesterday, and the Spain/Portugal match may have been one of the best matches I've ever watched. The goals scored and the scoring chances in that game were phenomenal. Anyway, I didn't see a thread here, so wanted to stimulate discussion to see what else I can learn from more seasons soccer/football fans.

I realize this has been a point of some contention in the past, mainly due to people who don't care for the sport opening the thread and telling us why they don't care for it. I truly enjoy reading the discussion in threads like this, so, if you have a problem with the sport, rather than flame in this thread, would you perhaps consider starting a different thread to discuss it? Thank you, respectfully.

Watch it in the break room at work when I grab something to drink. Athletes are excellent for sure. No real interest beyond getting a snack or drink. Respect the athletic abilities but ends there. Hope others will post for you to get more feedback.

It took me a few times to warm up to soccer, but now I love it. It's the definition of a slow-burn game; a lot of running around and strategy, payoff is HUGE when a goal is scored. And yes, some of the most physically perfect athletes on the planet play soccer.

I also like the fun political dimension to it. Many of these countries talk about games in the World Cup like wars. It makes it kind of fun when the trash talk starts, because actual national history and geopolitics gets thrown into normal sports smack-talk and it makes it even funnier.

English guy: "Oy, how often is the Euro Cup?"
German guy: "Every 4 years. Well, for you guys, it's more like every 16 years."
English guy: "Two World Wars and one World Cup, doo daaah, doo daaaahh..."
German guy: "Damn it..."

I watch most of the matches and follow the english premier league. This world cup seems to be less about the big teams and more about individual performances. Ronaldo is on fire. Messi not so much. Probably the biggest storyline for me is the introduction of instant replay.

I watch most of the matches and follow the english premier league. This world cup seems to be less about the big teams and more about individual performances. Ronaldo is on fire. Messi not so much. Probably the biggest storyline for me is the introduction of instant replay.
Instant replay has been interesting. Still learning about exactly when they apply it, but it seems to have cleaned up some of the egregious errors or "fool the referee" flops. That is good to see.

Reynaldo is pretty amazing. Croatiawas really fun to watch. I think the second round of group games has been made pretty interesting given some of the results in the first round of games. Teams who would normally settle for a tie now must win, etc.

Reactions: jeremygenekirk
was in Europe during the 2014 World Cup....Watching the US-Portugal game with a bunch of Americans in a Barcelona bar was really cool

Reactions: CatColumbia
Love soccer. I haven't been able to watch much of this WC (USA not being in is the main reason for that). The last 2 WCs I watched just about every game; the 2014 WC was fantastic. Just the passion around the sport on the biggest stage is just hard not to love IMO.

Sucks we have to wait another 8 years until America is back in it.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Belgium looks tough this year. So of the top players in the world at club level on that team. The south american clubs look dismal this cycle.

Never ever was I in to soccer (futbol) until my daughter started playing. I have really got in to it over the last 5 years or so. The skill level of these guys is amazing. Seems like I have seen that these guys cover an average of 7 miles running/jogging a game.

What is so nice about watching soccer is the fact that it is a free flowing game. Forty-five minutes halves, plus a couple minutes of injury time, and there are no commercials. So I don't have to see Flo's face from Progressive every 6 minutes. I know that the game will be done in 2 hours, unless you get to the knock out stage, then you are at about 2.5 hours. The flopping does get a little old and funny at times, but there is some pretty physical play out there from time to time.

Kind of cool IMO to see the different styles of play from around the world go at each other. The flash and technical play of the Latin and South Americans vs the discipline and control of the most of the Euro teams.

I have become a big Germany fan, but they looked bad vs Mexico. Messi must have done too many commercial leading up to the WC cuz he just aint the same player as he is for Barcelona. Brazil looked better today, but Belgium is going to be tough to beat.

Reactions: saluno22
Never ever was I in to soccer (futbol) until my daughter started playing. I have really got in to it over the last 5 years or so. The skill level of these guys is amazing. Seems like I have seen that these guys cover an average of 7 miles running/jogging a game.

What is so nice about watching soccer is the fact that it is a free flowing game. Forty-five minutes halves, plus a couple minutes of injury time, and there are no commercials. So I don't have to see Flo's face from Progressive every 6 minutes. I know that the game will be done in 2 hours, unless you get to the knock out stage, then you are at about 2.5 hours. The flopping does get a little old and funny at times, but there is some pretty physical play out there from time to time.

Kind of cool IMO to see the different styles of play from around the world go at each other. The flash and technical play of the Latin and South Americans vs the discipline and control of the most of the Euro teams.

I have become a big Germany fan, but they looked bad vs Mexico. Messi must have done too many commercial leading up to the WC cuz he just aint the same player as he is for Barcelona. Brazil looked better today, but Belgium is going to be tough to beat.
Agreed, being able to watch a game, know when it ends and not have to deal with constant timeouts and commercials is such a great change of pace.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Soccer isn't my thing, but I don't hate on the World Cup. In downtown Denver it's fun to see people gather in the "team" taverns and really get into every match. People having a lot of fun watching sports is never a bad thing, even if I'm not one of them.

Reactions: TFrazier
I watch it if it is a bar/party type thing...I bet on it because well, why not.

Most people I know that are into soccer are into it because their kids play, which I totally understand.

I've become a serious soccer fan over the last couple of decades thank to my sons. Both followed it religiously and they finally got me hooked. I grew up in small town Nebraska, we had football, baseball, basketball, wrestling and track so I never really took it seriously until they indoctrinated me. It's a fantastic sport, I've been a Manchester United fan for the last several years after watching the Premier League for a while looking for a team. I also lived in Columbus, OH for 11 years and we went to many Columbus Crew (MLS) games and saw Boca Juniors take on Celtic up in Cleveland. The PL is SOOOOOO much better than MLS that it's not even funny. Bummed USA didn't make it to the World Cup but enjoying the heck out of the games.

Personally, i think it's an immigrant tv type thing.
That's true. I often see guys who've just worked their ass off 10-11 hours out in the heat enjoying a cold one while watching the World Cup.

Soccer is set up to be boring but it should not be...They need to make the playing field smaller and they need to cut 1 possible 2 people from the game.

Great to see Germany back in it, wonderful goal in stoppage. Now there is an outside chance of Mexico not getting out of group. I'd like to see that!

I'm not a big soccer fan, I don't normally watch it, but there have been some fantastic games. I'm always amazed at the skill level of the best players in the world. The more I watch, the more I start to understand some of the nuances and strategy of the game, and the more enjoyable it becomes for me. I've started to understand why teams who are outmatched play for a tie, and how it impacts there chances at advancing. My enjoyment of hockey and volleyball have followed the same progression. Brazil and Costa Rica just played a really fantastic game. Croatia made Argentina look pitiful yesterday, and the Spain/Portugal match may have been one of the best matches I've ever watched. The goals scored and the scoring chances in that game were phenomenal. Anyway, I didn't see a thread here, so wanted to stimulate discussion to see what else I can learn from more seasons soccer/football fans.

I realize this has been a point of some contention in the past, mainly due to people who don't care for the sport opening the thread and telling us why they don't care for it. I truly enjoy reading the discussion in threads like this, so, if you have a problem with the sport, rather than flame in this thread, would you perhaps consider starting a different thread to discuss it? Thank you, respectfully.
I watched my son play large high school soccer including going to state. It was great. To each their own, but I have not watched another soccer game since.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I wish the clock would stop so there isnt any stoppage time..biggest complaint ..that and pks..

I started following it some about 15 years ago. Ideas for better rules popped into my head now and again, who knows if they were any good. I think the sport would be even more popular if they could score more. Just expanding the goal by a foot on every side would probably accomplish that.

Once you see it live overseas you get hooked. Went to a bunch of Portland Timbers games, and Houston Dynamo when I lived there, but once you go to a Premier League on Bundelinga (sp?) game, it is a huge difference.

Reactions: ThrowBones92

absolutely follow every match hard to watch due to time of games

I wish the clock would stop so there isnt any stoppage time..biggest complaint ..that and pks..
Same. If I could change one thing, it would be the running clock and stoppage time, but I'm sure changing it would create its own set of issues. Although, the games do run exceptionally on-time. Can't say that about our 4 hour football games/marathons.

My kids played soccer until middle school then switched to football. Now the can't be bother to watch the World Cup. Soccer will never be big in America.
I tend to agree with you. With that said, your comment assumes football will continue to dominate as a sport. With the CTE issues, I'm not sure it will always be the case. I'm not saying football is the only sport where head trauma occurs, but its the only sport where repetitive, non-symptomatic mini-trauma occurs on every single play.

like the last game...added 4 minutes of "stoppage" time then they score a goal 10 seconds after the 4 minutes...this isnt the Big 12 Championship game...when the clock is done it should be done....and yes I had the under

I tend to agree with you. With that said, your comment assumes football will continue to dominate as a sport. With the CTE issues, I'm not sure it will always be the case. I'm not saying football is the only sport where head trauma occurs, but its the only sport where repetitive, non-symptomatic mini-trauma occurs on every single play.
Women’s soccer actually has the highest rate of concussions per player. I have never heard of any women having similar issues to those incurred by football players (or even a single one with CTE), but I thought that was an interesting fact when I first heard it.

So I agree with you that it is the mini-traumas on every play, and not the major concussions, that is the real issue for football players.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT