ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone listen to Rob Zatechka on 590 today?

huskerfan66

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Dec 8, 2004
I normally don't listen to 590 but for some reason did today. I thought they said Zatechka was going to be on this afternoon. Kinda noisey and signal not the best so not sure I heard that correctly. Either way I didn't get to listen to it. Anyone have a synopsis??

Thanks

Probably the same old timer talk...

1. The guys aint got the heart(steroids) we had back in the 90s
2. They need more guys with killer instinct literally.
3. Frost needs to run um till they puke cuz thats what makes 1st round draft picks.
4. Frost will get um in shape cuz he understands Nebraska

3. Frost needs to run um till they puke cuz thats what makes 1st round draft picks.
Wrong on all counts. Maybe you should actually listen to him.

I thought it was really informative. Good breakdown on the skill positions that are limiting the offensive options. Lack of depth across the board which is showing as the season progresses and the type of athlete on the O-Line. Pretty good overview.

The most interesting part was that he views Robinson, Washington and Spielman as “third down” backs that have been forced into service in other roles. Interesting notion. No deep threat and they really miss Ozigbo..

The most interesting part was that he views Robinson, Washington and Spielman as “third down” backs that have been forced into service in other roles. Interesting notion. No deep threat and they really miss Ozigbo..
One of the reasons I started listening to him. I re-watched the MN game from last year. MN played about the same, lots of big plays we couldn't stop. Pass plays we couldn't stop, etc. But the offense was clicking. The first thing I thought was how much we miss Morgan and Ozigbo and how they are pretty much all the offense. Was googling around and found his podcast, interesting insights.

I'm sure they miss Rozier, Phillips and Green as well. The problem is the OL.We've got Mills if we want to punch it inside. If our OL can't make holes then it's on them.

I won't say he is wrong, but I don't necessarily agree with him as much as I would if he were to have said we really miss Tanner Farmer and Jerald Foster. They don't miss Ozigbo nearly as much as they miss those two. Yeah, Jerald Foster was a flag waiting to happen, but he was a pretty effective blocker. And Tanner Farmer was even more effective.

Mills is every bit the RB Ozigbo was. And I loved Ziggy. I would say his vision isn't quite as good as Ozigbo's right now, but still very respectable. But he does have better top-end speed than Ozigbo, and close to equal quickness. If he were running behind last year's line, he would have the same success as Ozigbo did. He is getting creamed in the backfield a lot of times, and is still averaging 4.6 yards/carry this year. Other than Wandale R., Mills has probably been our best performer on offense.

Last year's line wasn't great, but after Tanner Farmer moved to center, they were a lot more effective.

I won't say he is wrong, but I don't necessarily agree with him as much as I would if he were to have said we really miss Tanner Farmer and Jerald Foster. They don't miss Ozigbo nearly as much as they miss those two. Yeah, Jerald Foster was a flag waiting to happen, but he was a pretty effective blocker. And Tanner Farmer was even more effective.

Mills is every bit the RB Ozigbo was. And I loved Ziggy. I would say his vision isn't quite as good as Ozigbo's right now, but still very respectable. But he does have better top-end speed than Ozigbo, and close to equal quickness. If he were running behind last year's line, he would have the same success as Ozigbo did. He is getting creamed in the backfield a lot of times, and is still averaging 4.6 yards/carry this year. Other than Wandale R., Mills has probably been our best performer on offense.

Last year's line wasn't great, but after Tanner Farmer moved to center, they were a lot more effective.
Kinda agree. Foster was overrated for me last year. But looking like an all American compared to this year. Head shaking

Mills is not as good as Devine. Mills is a reasonably good college back. Devine is on an NFL roster. Big difference. As a former NFL O lineman, he was obviously trying to be kind to the O linemen. He made the point that Farniok is probably too heavy (330+ and I took that to mean too slow), Wilson too light, Hixson too light for the position, Jaimes is definitely too light (my words here) and he also generally said that we don't have the athleticism in general that we need other than at center. We do NOT have a deep threat and because we've been leaning too heavily on light weight backs they're dinged up. He kept stressing the lack of a deep threat in the passing game. JD isn't that guy. Zatechka repeated what I heard from multiple former players, this is going to take several years to rebuild our O line in particular. 3 or more, NOT 1-1/2 years.

Mills is not as good as Devine. Mills is a reasonably good college back. Devine is on an NFL roster. Big difference. As a former NFL O lineman, he was obviously trying to be kind to the O linemen. He made the point that Farniok is probably too heavy (330+ and I took that to mean too slow), Wilson too light, Hixson too light for the position, Jaimes is definitely too light (my words here) and he also generally said that we don't have the athleticism in general that we need other than at center. We do NOT have a deep threat and because we've been leaning too heavily on light weight backs they're dinged up. He kept stressing the lack of a deep threat in the passing game. JD isn't that guy. Zatechka repeated what I heard from multiple former players, this is going to take several years to rebuild our O line in particular. 3 or more, NOT 1-1/2 years.
So we should be prepared to suck for 3 more years?

One of the reasons I started listening to him. I re-watched the MN game from last year. MN played about the same, lots of big plays we couldn't stop. Pass plays we couldn't stop, etc. But the offense was clicking. The first thing I thought was how much we miss Morgan and Ozigbo and how they are pretty much all the offense. Was googling around and found his podcast, interesting insights.

?? The offense is going to completely fall apart because of the loss of 2 players that went undrafted ????????

So we should be prepared to suck for 3 more years?
As I've posted multiple times. 2 more years maybe. Next year is year 3 so it might be better BUT our schedule is tougher next year too. As I've posted multiple times, when this freshman class is juniors we should be pretty good. That's 2021. Adrian's senior year. THEN I expect a sustained level of some success.

?? The offense is going to completely fall apart because of the loss of 2 players that went undrafted ????????
Zatechka makes the point that DEVINE AND STANLEY were huge losses for our offense. IMO Gifford was a huge loss for our defense. The guy made plays at OLB and right now nobody's doing that from the OLB position. Drafted or not, those were good players. IOWA lost ONE O lineman and now they're O line is struggling mightily according to one of their beat reporters on the radio. today.

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim

LOL! That must be why Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, and Tennessee also offered Ozigbo coming out of high school, like they did Mills, right? Silly folks..

Not sure about you, but I can certainly see a difference between having ozigbo and morgan out there and not having them. BTW, I didn't say the offense completely falls apart just because of them, but it certainly doesn't function as well.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Not sure about you, but I can certainly see a difference between having ozigbo and morgan out there and not having them. BTW, I didn't say the offense completely falls apart just because of them, but it certainly doesn't function as well.

True, it doesn't, but it also doesn't function as well because we had 2 OLinemen on the inside last year that were decidedly better than what we have playing there this season. You throw in Morgan having to be accounted for on the outside last year, and that would help the running game immensely.

We're just gonna have to wait a little on the OLine, until the 2 youngsters grow into their S&C OLine bodies. :D

Kinda agree. Foster was overrated for me last year. But looking like an all American compared to this year. Head shaking

Foster was decent at times, and not so good at times. But the tandem of Foster and Farmer were light years better than the two guys in there now. I'm sure these guys will get much better, but they are just young and inexperienced right now. And much smaller than the 2 guys from last year.

Reactions: bshirt73
True, it doesn't, but it also doesn't function as well because we had 2 OLinemen on the inside last year that were decidedly better than what we have playing there this season. You throw in Morgan having to be accounted for on the outside last year, and that would help the running game immensely.

We're just gonna have to wait a little on the OLine, until the 2 youngsters grow into their S&C OLine bodies. :D
I agree with all that. I don't think there is a single cause to any of the things we are seeing, it is a combo of many factors. We have JD, but none of our true WR corp have stepped up. We have no deep threats. Mills was clearly brought in to replace Ozigbo and just isn't getting it done at that level, whatever is talent is. Last year, AM was making 1 or 2 reads and then running and he was decisive. He doesn't do that any more. A lot of this is on coaching as well as play calling as well as the talent (or more lack thereof) we have in certain positions.

1. The guys aint got the heart(steroids) we had back in the 90s Nope
2. They need more guys with killer instinct literally. Nope
3. Frost needs to run um till they puke cuz thats what makes 1st round draft picks. Nope
4. Frost will get um in shape cuz he understands Nebraska. Nope

0/4 isn't bad.

I agree with all that. I don't think there is a single cause to any of the things we are seeing, it is a combo of many factors. We have JD, but none of our true WR corp have stepped up. We have no deep threats. Mills was clearly brought in to replace Ozigbo and just isn't getting it done at that level, whatever is talent is. Last year, AM was making 1 or 2 reads and then running and he was decisive. He doesn't do that any more. A lot of this is on coaching as well as play calling as well as the talent (or more lack thereof) we have in certain positions.

I really believe if we had Foster and Farmer on the interior OLine right now, it would dramatically change this offense. Even with Stanley gone.

I also think the erratic snaps did much more damage to our offense than anyone thinks. Think about it. With this offense, you already have to be a "Quick Blinker" as a QB. Add in balls being snapped all over the place, and you are putting way too much pressure on our QB. And we had erratic snaps for the entire first half of the season. That had to really be getting to Martinez.

Foster was decent at times, and not so good at times. But the tandem of Foster and Farmer were light years better than the two guys in there now. I'm sure these guys will get much better, but they are just young and inexperienced right now. And much smaller than the 2 guys from last year.
Yes. I was throwing things at my TV last year at the left side. This year the big red brick is targeted at the whole oline

With this mess, what plays would be better? Specific please. So you are saying Frost and Walters became idiots since last year?

Reactions: bshirt73
Lots of good points. I think where he was going with the Ozigbo piece was that he brought a lot to the table, blocking, short yardage, etc. that would have allowed the other skill positions to focus on their roles instead of having to fill in so many shortcomings on offense. I think we are missing the spark plug on defense as that leadership has never been developed. I love watching this stuff develop as I do organizational change for a living. You just never know what the real issues are behind the scenes. It could be culture, conditioning, depth, talent, misfit with scheme, who knows... Might be a matter of Scott getting his guys in place.. it is impossible to motivate someone if they don’t have it in themselves in the first place. The ability to “motivate” someone is a myth... they have to have it in them already and I don’t think we have had that for about 10 years... or more...

With this mess, what plays would be better? Specific please. So you are saying Frost and Walters became idiots since last year?
Zatechka said something about some zone runs he would like to see Frost run I think because he thought it would suit his O line's abilities better. I didn't pay close enough attention when he said that.

Exactly.. Ever think Frost thinks to himself, man I could have gone to about 5 other schools that were stocked with talent?

Haha! I know people will hate on this but it is so true!

You have to add...

5. Every practice was a war
6. If you didn't give 110%...there was going to be a player that raped you later in the showers, it was harsh, but you respected it.
7. None of the guys had talent, just super enlarged hearts
8. Then they tell some story about "boys will be boys" and "Oh man, the stuff we used to do...can't talk about it on air, har har har"

2 players who are currently on 55 man NFL rosters. A lot of drafted guys can’t say that. Two skilled position players too. Yeah, that hurts badly

LOL! That must be why Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, and Tennessee also offered Ozigbo coming out of high school, like they did Mills, right? Silly folks..

Mills has another year to get stronger and get better. Mills RIGHT NOW is not as good as Devine was when he left. I highly doubt that Mills has reached his ceiling yet but as of RIGHT now, Mills is not as good as Devine regardless of what their offers were out of high school.

Mills has another year to get stronger and get better. Mills RIGHT NOW is not as good as Devine was when he left. I highly doubt that Mills has reached his ceiling yet but as of RIGHT now, Mills is not as good as Devine regardless of what their offers were out of high school.

We disagree overall. That's cool. I just like Mills' top-end speed better. Probably like Ozigbo's physicality a little more. They're both pretty good backs IMO.

I most respectfully disagree somewhat compadre'. With this year's OLine I think it's simply almost impossible for a rb to excel much (especially between tackles). I doubt even a Bo Jackson in his prime would excel much at all with our current OLine (maybe once in awhile he'd blast through, but not often).

It's just a rough row to hoe this year for our rbs imo. If true, it's pretty hard to judge Mills or whoever.

ADVERTISEMENT