ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone been to Ann Arbor for a game?

JohnRossEwing

Assistant Head Coach
Jul 4, 2013
We have a group going this weekend. So far, just from what I have read/heard it seems like the bar scene before the game is sort of dead? The tailgating is either at the golf course or the high school?

Is the tailgating pretty decent? It looks really spread out.

I'll be going as well, also wondering about a place to get bloody marys this Saturday morning!

Hawk fan here.

Went there in 2010 so here is what I remember:
Golf course lot seemed to be the best tailgate area and lots of places to park. Not a bad walk to the stadium. Good mix of college and older groups also.

Friday night, went to the bars and found it to be a little dead on the bar scene, but again it has been 8 years since I was there. I remember going to probably around 5 or so bars that night and most were full but not crazy packed for a Friday night college bar.

Game- Big House is a cool stadium to go to but it really isnt that intimidating and does not hold sound very well. Very surprised how quite it was in there for 110,000 people. Also, a lot of their fans act very "white collar" and proper.

As far as bars go...Fraser's Pub opens at 8:30 and seems like a cool place...The Little Brown Jug might be cool.

We have a tailgate spot as well. But really it seems like it is sort of a tame place.

I've heard that from multiple people. Should be a nice crisp morning in the heart of Big Ten country. We'll check all those places out--going for a bachelor party weekend. All recommendations and ideas are much appreciated!

Hawk fan here.

Went there in 2010 so here is what I remember:
Golf course lot seemed to be the best tailgate area and lots of places to park. Not a bad walk to the stadium. Good mix of college and older groups also.

Friday night, went to the bars and found it to be a little dead on the bar scene, but again it has been 8 years since I was there. I remember going to probably around 5 or so bars that night and most were full but not crazy packed for a Friday night college bar.

Game- Big House is a cool stadium to go to but it really isnt that intimidating and does not hold sound very well. Very surprised how quite it was in there for 110,000 people. Also, a lot of their fans act very "white collar" and proper.

Hawk fan got it exactly right. And I will never say that again.

We have a group going this weekend. So far, just from what I have read/heard it seems like the bar scene before the game is sort of dead? The tailgating is either at the golf course or the high school?

Go to the main street in Ann Arbor Friday night before the game. Just bar hop and have fun. Good atmosphere; great places there.

The golf course is the place to tailgate. It is really good there.

I had a GREAT time there years ago at a Notre Dame v. Michigan game. I'd return in a heart beat. Great place to take in a game.

Go to the main street in Ann Arbor Friday night before the game. Just bar hop and have fun. Good atmosphere; great places there.

The golf course is the place to tailgate. It is really good there.

I had a GREAT time there years ago at a Notre Dame v. Michigan game. I'd return in a heart beat. Great place to take in a game.

I heard that High School is a great place to tailgate too, know anything about that?

When you get to the stadium, it looks like a Division II stadium until you go inside. I think you enter at row 73 as most of it is below ground level. Still an iconic place to watch a game and I really enjoyed it. The people are mostly very friendly and pleasant. I probably wouldn't wear an "I love Urban Meyer" sticker though. Its a small town so not much going on, especially on a Saturday morning. You'll have a good time.

I heard that High School is a great place to tailgate too, know anything about that?

I do not. The golf course abuts the stadium, so it is very close. If the other location is also close, do both. I've not been to the "high school" location.

I do not. The golf course abuts the stadium, so it is very close. If the other location is also close, do both. I've not been to the "high school" location.
Okay, thanks!

I wish this game was at 3:30 to give us more time to hit up everything we want to do but so far it is sounding like the golf course and the high school lot are both pretty cool.

Michigan fan here. Walk around and do the whole downtown bar scene on Friday night. Saturday morning split your time between the two tailgate locations and you’ll have a blast. Most fans are receptive and very friendly to visitors.

When you get to the stadium, it looks like a Division II stadium until you go inside. I think you enter at row 73 as most of it is below ground level. Still an iconic place to watch a game and I really enjoyed it. The people are mostly very friendly and pleasant. I probably wouldn't wear an "I love Urban Meyer" sticker though. Its a small town so not much going on, especially on a Saturday morning. You'll have a good time.

This was the most striking thing to me when I went the last time the huskers played there. You might not realize you’ve arrived at the stadium until you trip over it.

That and how quiet it was.

Michigan fan here. Walk around and do the whole downtown bar scene on Friday night. Saturday morning split your time between the two tailgate locations and you’ll have a blast. Most fans are receptive and very friendly to visitors.
Thanks!

Michigan fan here - welcome in advance to Ann Arbor. A few tips:

FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER/BAR OPTIONS:
-Most of the bars/restaurants that cater to students are clustered along State Street or South University which border central campus. If that is what you're looking for, Rick's or Good Time Charley's are classic student hangouts. Another is Scorekeepers, which is just a bit off State Street. Be warned, if you aren't an undergraduate or close to it you will probably feel a bit out of place at those spots.

-Main Street is where the nicer bars and restaurants are clustered (where mom and dad take the students out to eat when they visit). Gratzi is good for italian, Chop House for steaks. Frita Batidos if you are looking for something more casual. Grizzly Peak is also a solid brewpub with good food.

GAMEDAY

With a noon start, probably will want to hit tailgates pretty early. The two main places are the golf course and Pioneer High School lot. Both are big and great, very close (less than 5 minute walk) to the Stadium. I usually park at the golf course because I prefer to be on grass, some prefer Pioneer because the paved lots there permit RVs so you can sometimes catch on at some of those huge tailgates. Both of those lots charge $50. There are lots of smaller tailgate spots (mostly yards of private houses) that are a bit cheaper. Most people will be friendly . . . just don't bring up '97 (hahaha).

If you want to be sure to be there for kickoff, make sure you are at the gates at least 20 minutes before the start time as it can bog down a bit at the tunnel entrances for the various sections.

Have fun and Go Blue!

-Most of the bars/restaurants that cater to students are clustered along State Street or South University which border central campus. If that is what you're looking for, Rick's or Good Time Charley's are classic student hangouts. Another is Scorekeepers, which is just a bit off State Street. Be warned, if you aren't an undergraduate or close to it you will probably feel a bit out of place at those spots.

-Main Street is where the nicer bars and restaurants are clustered (where mom and dad take the students out to eat when they visit). Gratzi is good for italian, Chop House for steaks. Frita Batidos if you are looking for something more casual. Grizzly Peak is also a solid brewpub with good food.

GAMEDAY

With a noon start, probably will want to hit tailgates pretty early. The two main places are the golf course and Pioneer High School lot. Both are big and great, very close (less than 5 minute walk) to the Stadium. I usually park at the golf course because I prefer to be on grass, some prefer Pioneer because the paved lots there permit RVs so you can sometimes catch on at some of those huge tailgates. Both of those lots charge $50. There are lots of smaller tailgate spots (mostly yards of private houses) that are a bit cheaper. Most people will be friendly . . . just don't bring up '97 (hahaha).

If you want to be sure to be there for kickoff, make sure you are at the gates at least 20 minutes before the start time as it can bog down a bit at the tunnel entrances for the various sections.

Have fun and Go Blue!
I was there once for a Notre Dame game. My wife is a ND grad so I was forced to go. Ha! Glad I did. Michigan fans are super friendly and classy. Nothing like OSU and PSU fans. They reminded me a lot of Nebraska fans... except during the game, because they don't yell as much.

Anyway... the point to this is to say I really liked the Chop House and Grizzly Peaks. I highly recommend both.
Go Huskers!

GAMEDAY

Have fun and Go Blue!
Thanks! This is what I was looking for!

Was there in 2016. Golf club is where best tailgating is. Stadium is classic/landmark/etc and the crowd is huge. That said they are quiet overall and kind of old on average (except for student section). I was told to sit down multiple times when my team was doing something good...and not in a trash talk way, but a 'I'm too entitled to let you see your team play way'. Overall it was an okay experience. Ann Arbor is nice but nothing special. It's like Lawrence Kansas but for FB fans.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
In my opinion, there isn't *that* big of a difference in terms of the atmosphere. Both are huge tailgating scenes. They are directly across the street from each other and basically equidistant from the stadium. They are the same price. Technically you aren't supposed to have open alcohol at Pioneer because it is a high school property, but everyone does and it is never an issue. The big difference is the surface - there are some grassy spots at Pioneer but it is mostly pavement. The golf course, of course, is all grass.

That said, I always go to the golf course if I have a choice. I just like the grass surface better. The only time I go to Pioneer is if there is heavy rain in the forecast, either on game day or on the days leading up to it, because if it gets too soggy they will close the golf course to tailgating.

In my opinion, there isn't *that* big of a difference in terms of the atmosphere. Both are huge tailgating scenes. They are directly across the street from each other and basically equidistant from the stadium. They are the same price. Technically you aren't supposed to have open alcohol at Pioneer because it is a high school property, but everyone does and it is never an issue. The big difference is the surface - there are some grassy spots at Pioneer but it is mostly pavement. The golf course, of course, is all grass.

That said, I always go to the golf course if I have a choice. I just like the grass surface better. The only time I go to Pioneer is if there is heavy rain in the forecast, either on game day or on the days leading up to it, because if it gets too soggy they will close the golf course to tailgating.
Got it, thanks!

The Golf Course is the way to go. Much more aesthetically pleasing. But get there early or you will not get a spot.

By the way in terms of stadiums Keith Jackson named Michigan Stadium the "Big House" not some Michigan PR person and Jackson called it the Big House for a reason.

When you first walk up the entrance walkway and get your first view of the inside of the stadium it can be intimidating to visitors (I remember a Texas A&M fan in the 80's laughing as he saw the stadium from the outside and then a "whoa" came out when he walked in).

The crowd is not as loud as most other stadiums unless it gets to be a critical 3rd down play (by the opposition offense) in a close game then you will hear 110,000 voices loud and clear!

I think we already bought a spot at the HS...but I am sure we will do some walking around.

I wish the bars were a little close, I love hitting up the bars before the game.

So for those of you that have been...did you even bother with bars before the game?

Michigan fan here. Don’t bother with bars for a noon game.

If you’re not tailgating, the best thing you can do is park on campus early and walk around making your way towards the stadium.

You want to walk down state street then Hoover towards stadium.

I might park in a structure near the Brown Jug on South U or near BWW (the campus BWW) on State street then just walk around.

After the game if you’re staying, walk, eat and drink up and down Main Street and it’s side streets.

If you’re parking to tailgate, ignore everything I wrote. Have fun!!

If you’re not tailgating, the best thing you can do is park on campus early and walk around making your way towards the stadium.

I might park in a structure near the Brown Jug on South U or near BWW (the campus BWW) on State street then just walk around.

After the game if you’re staying, walk, eat and drink up and down Main Street and it’s side streets.

Ha! Thanks!

Why do you say to ignore the bars before the game?

Do you know or does anyone know if those tailgate lots, golf course or high school, close up soon after the game?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT