ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody want to play for my Niners?

Stud rookie forced to retire because of too many concussions. #playbaseball kids......
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
Stud rookie forced to retire because of too many concussions. #playbaseball kids......
Not what he's claiming....says he hasn't had a concussion since high school, this is prophylactic because he's afraid of CTE.

SERIOUSLY!!! I didn't even read anything because I was bummed about it. Man, that's kinda nuts.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
ESPN article quotes him saying something about a concussion during training camp last year. What a decision to make, I wish him all the best!
Yeah, just saw that. Different article I read says "diagnosed" twice...devil's in the details.

Regardless, says he feels good, doing this so he doesn't develop any detrimental symptoms.

Prob has a few million in bank and will do good things with it.

Kid was EVERYWHERE on defense when Willis went out this year. Man he was fun to watch.

Originally posted by planored:
Career NFL earnings: $1,037,436. Not exactly enough to retire on.

Originally posted by shine003:

Originally posted by planored:
Career NFL earnings: $1,037,436. Not exactly enough to retire on.
Not enough to retire on? Yes. Enough to pay cash for a nice house and put some back for other investments? Yes. Of course, I'm not talking about California prices. I'm sure he's just fine. Life doesn't end when you stop playing football. Most people can't retire at age 24.

Originally posted by ATLsker:
The sad truth is that football as we know it is going away. The NFL expects up to 1 in 3 players to develop long-term cognitive problems. How can you support your football team if you know the players are putting themselves at risk?

If you haven't seen League of Denial yet I highly recommend it: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/
The sad truth is that the media has jumped on the CTE bandwagon and led a sensationalist crusade against the NFL before any real research can be conducted. The public is already making up its mind thanks to the media and the medical community hasn't even had time to do much real research for anyone to make informed decisions on.

Originally posted by Cornicator:
Everybody should teach their kids how to throw and catch a baseball.
How about swinging a golf club?
glasses.r191677.gif

Originally posted by G0B1GRED:
Originally posted by Cornicator:
Everybody should teach their kids how to throw and catch a baseball.
How about swinging a golf club?
glasses.r191677.gif
Just don't let them play soccer....more concussions there than football.

The sad truth is that football as we know it is going away. The NFL expects up to 1 in 3 players to develop long-term cognitive problems. How can you support your football team if you know the players are putting themselves at risk?

If you haven't seen League of Denial yet I highly recommend it: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/
The sad truth is that the media has jumped on the CTE bandwagon and led a sensationalist crusade against the NFL before any real research can be conducted. The public is already making up its mind thanks to the media and the medical community hasn't even had time to do much real research for anyone to make informed decisions on.
So I guess you didn't see LoD then...

Just because we don't know the full extent of the risks doesn't mean they aren't there. There have been enough brains of ex-NFL players with CTE to show this is a significant problem. Why do you think the NFL settled with the players?

Would you work for a company where up to 28% of its employees end up with brain damage?

Just because we don't know the full extent of the risks doesn't mean they aren't there. There have been enough brains of ex-NFL players with CTE to show this is a significant problem. Why do you think the NFL settled with the players?

Would you work for a company where up to 28% of its employees end up with brain damage?
So now PBS/Frontline is more authoritative than the Journal of American Sports Medicine? Because I did read the literature review article published in that just last year....

Media sensationalization does not equate to fact. That 28% figure is nothing short of completely made up. There is only a very, very small percentage of former players in which it has been confirmed. You can say "up to" 28%, but it's been reported as being less than 5% in actual peer-reviewed literature.

The only thing that we know about CTE right now is that we have no idea what is going on. We have no working definition of what it even is, much less sorting through all the potential confounders and selection bias going on in the current case series that are available. Is there some deficit in a small percentage of players? Most likely. But how much or how pervasive it is simply isn't known. Making whole sale changes to the sport based on media and public pressure rather than science if just foolish. In fact, a lot of the research papers being published on the subject discuss the need to be careful in how their work is conveyed to the media and the public for the specific reason of it being misinterpreted and sensationalized.

Research instead of hype

Chris Borland is a classless punk. I will always remember him and his badger buddies trying to injure TM3 at the end of a blowout in just because one of their guys got blocked by Kenny Bell.

So now PBS/Frontline is more authoritative than the Journal of American Sports Medicine? Because I did read the literature review article published in that just last year....

Media sensationalization does not equate to fact. That 28% figure is nothing short of completely made up. There is only a very, very small percentage of former players in which it has been confirmed. You can say "up to" 28%, but it's been reported as being less than 5% in actual peer-reviewed literature.

The only thing that we know about CTE right now is that we have no idea what is going on. We have no working definition of what it even is, much less sorting through all the potential confounders and selection bias going on in the current case series that are available. Is there some deficit in a small percentage of players? Most likely. But how much or how pervasive it is simply isn't known. Making whole sale changes to the sport based on media and public pressure rather than science if just foolish. In fact, a lot of the research papers being published on the subject discuss the need to be careful in how their work is conveyed to the media and the public for the specific reason of it being misinterpreted and sensationalized.
IF you play like Junior Seau did leading iwith your face on virtually every play taking on either an offensive guard or 200+ lb running back for 20 years, of course you are going to have brain injury. The guy led with his head every play. The worst "bell ringing" I ever had was playing basketball in high school. I got undercut on a fast break layup and hit my head on a brick wall underneath the pad as I slid on the floor. Life is full of risks. Play hard.

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
Meh. Our head idiot was stupid enough to still have him in the game. Football happens.

Off topic but this is one of the biggest things that will see how far we've come with this staff change in my opinion. Big lead or behind big.....pull the damn starters and get reps for the other guys.

Lord knows there were plenty of times we had no chance but the starters were on the field risking injury and not getting any playing time for the others!!!!!

You are far more likely to get concussions playing soccer, hockey, doing mma, martial arts or boxing than you are playing football.

Noone os throwing a fit about those athletes welfare.. why? Because theres not nearly as much money in it.

I see some mention of the Mayweather-Pacquio fight all over the place.. noone is talking about them having CTE. Why? Again because theres no money in it. Even though the odds of getting brain damage is far far higher in boxing than in football noone cares because what are the leeches gonna do have Mayweather sue himself? No. But they can get people to sue the big bad NFL.

What a joke.

Ditto,
Originally posted by Charlie Marlow:
Chris Borland is a classless punk. I will always remember him and his badger buddies trying to injure TM3 at the end of a blowout in just because one of their guys got blocked by Kenny Bell.

Originally posted by Blackshirt316:
You are far more likely to get concussions playing soccer, hockey, doing mma, martial arts or boxing than you are playing football.

Noone os throwing a fit about those athletes welfare.. why? Because theres not nearly as much money in it.

I see some mention of the Mayweather-Pacquio fight all over the place.. noone is talking about them having CTE. Why? Again because theres no money in it. Even though the odds of getting brain damage is far far higher in boxing than in football noone cares because what are the leeches gonna do have Mayweather sue himself? No. But they can get people to sue the big bad NFL.

What a joke.
CTE was actually first discovered in boxers in the 1920's (?? or so) and was somewhat studied in them. It definitely had a higher rate of incidence then than what football is experiencing. Here's the interesting part...what we're seeing in football players is different both in presentation and autopsy than was seen in those boxers. The current literature is referring to those bare-knuckle boxers with CTE as "classical" CTE and the football players as "modern CTE".

Regardless...the NFL network interviewed the Steelers team doctor and one of the leading researchers on CTE, and he finally got the opportunity to speak out against the media hype machine behind CTE and actually state what the research is showing. It's about time. The medical community needs to start speaking out against the media when they misconstrue research to fit a sensationalist agenda.

Dr. Maroon

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT